God is as real as Santa Claus

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is as real as Santa Claus

It's just an idea, which came to my mind.  I think, that christianic God can be quite well compared to Santa Claus. Let me explain why.
Santa Claus is a person based on an European tradition, brought to America. He originates from Dutch (and maybe German) character, Sinterklass. Sinterklass and other similar characters, like british Father Christmas, all originate from one real person. There was a man in area of Greece (today Turkey territory), called Nicholas of Myra. He had a talent of settling up conflicts and helping others, and he was promoted to a  bishop. He was also known for his secret gifts, which also helped many people. Legends about him became the basis of mythical gift-giving men in various cultures.

And now have a look, what is the difference between the fat, red, white-bearded, north pole inhabitating, Coca Cola selling Santa Claus, and a greece priest Nikolaos. Nicholas existed, Santa is just a tale, and doesn't resemble the bishop much, just in details (like a gift in a stocking, for example).
The same thing is with the christianic God. Whatever it was when it communicated with chosen people, guided a chosen nation, and actively participated on, for example, their wars, it didn't require a faith in the fact of existence of God (it was obvious), but that this one God is the only true god (there was more of them, and not only statues). People of the chosen nation had their proof of God's existence, witnessing "miracles" of a water source location, lightning control, smoke and fire pillars guiding them, unknown, massive flying objects, and so on. ("...and the book flew through an air" - note, that "book" in these times was a scroll, this is a description of a flying object of a cyllindric shape)
The christianic idea of God is a compilate of above mentioned characteristics and other sources, it doesn't describe the original God(s) more precisely than Santa Claus resembles St. Nikolaos. But it existed, though differently than we think today. The belief in God has a real basis, just like a belief in Santa Claus. There's a huge difference between the truth and today's legendary version, so we should put a critical, historical look on christianic God, just like we did on a Santa Claus tale. (though there can be some quite unbelievable old-new discoveries)
I think we can just tell children why and how Santa Claus appeared, and they will understand it. Similarly we can describe a meaning of the God idea, using a simile of the above mentioned. There is no need to make them blindly believe that Santa Claus and christianic God exists exactly as media or religion tells them.

I'm sorry if it will appear in weird colors (like all white) but this is, how this text editor behaves today, whatever I do.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
Presuppositionalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: It's just an idea,

Quote:
It's just an idea, which came to my mind.  I think, that christianic God can be quite well compared to Santa Claus. Let me explain why.

They both have beards?

<-->

Quote:
There is no need to make them blindly believe that Santa Claus and christianic God exists exactly as media or religion tells them.

I agree with that. Everyone is endowed by the Lord with free will, which they should therefore be allowed to excerise within the parameters of their rights. It follows that children should be allowed to develop their own ideas about the nature of God, not brainwashed into believing one thing or another about Him. This extends, of course, even to the belief that God does not exist.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

ackbar
ackbar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist wrote:Do

Presuppositionalist wrote:

Do not be deceived; God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
Galatians 6:7

O Rly ?

Watch me ....

Hey God !

You're ugly and your mummy dresses you funny !

Smiling sorry couldnt resist.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
ackbar

ackbar wrote:

Presuppositionalist wrote:

Do not be deceived; God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
Galatians 6:7

O Rly ?

Watch me ....

Hey God !

You're ugly and your mummy dresses you funny !

Smiling sorry couldnt resist.

C'mon, that's just how Galatians understood a simple principle of action and reaction, you see, they needed to believe that God takes care of it, so it works, and it's impossible to cheat "God" (thus evade this principle). Of course, there is one technical detail - here, in material world, everything works slowly. There is very rarely an immediate response, usually, whatever you do, you have to do it very long time and very tenaciously, and pay attention all the time to the slightest response.
Anyway, if you'd want to mock of God, you'd have to be big as several millions of galaxies, so he could notice you, and he would still call you a midget Smiling
Otherwise you're just one of countless mockers in the universe, creating a constant humming, which is easy to ignore after a while, just like a white noise. But imagine, how an intelligent or loving thought would be remarkable on this content-free background, this has much higher chance of getting God's attention, or, more precisely said, attention of some lower particles of God, which are in duty for this planet and solar system.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.