More Christian Stupidity

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
More Christian Stupidity

So, I was checking my email via my gmail account, and this ad appeared on my inbox header:

Adam and Eve, Oh Really? - www.EveryStudent.com - Ten good reasons to believe they're the real deal. I decided to check it out, and this was the quackery that appeared in my browser window: 

Is the story of Adam and Eve true?
Did Adam and Eve really exist?

Q: "What proof is there for the story of Adam and Eve as the first human beings on earth?

our A: Thank you for your question. It's a good one that requires good answers. There is good evidence to believe the story of Adam and Eve--that they were historical and, therefore, the first persons on the earth.

The Life of Adam and Eve

First, Genesis 1-2 presents them as actual persons and even narrates the important events in their lives. Second, they gave birth to literal children who did the same (Genesis 4-5). Third, the phrase "this is the account of" that Moses used to record later history in Genesis (e.g., Gen. 6:9; 10:1; 11:10, 27; 25:12, 19) appears in the creation account (2:4) and of Adam, Eve, and their descendants.

Fourth, later Old Testament chronologies place Adam at the beginning of the list (Gen. 5:1; 1 Chron. 1:1). Fifth, the New Testament places Adam at the beginning of Jesus' literal ancestors (Luke 2:38). Sixth, Jesus referred to the life of Adam and Eve as the first literal "male and female," making their physical union the basis of marriage (Matt. 19:4).

The Story of Adam and Eve

Seventh, the book of Romans declares that literal death came into the world by a literal "one man" - Adam (Rom. 5:12). Eighth, the comparison of Adam (the "first Adam&quotEye-wink with Christ (the "last Adam&quotEye-wink in 1 Corinthians 15:45 manifests that Adam was understood as a literal, historical person.

Ninth, Paul's declaration that "it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve" (1 Tim. 2:13-14) reveals that he speaks of real persons. Tenth, logically there had to be a first real set of human beings, male and female, or else the race would have had no way to get going. The Bible calls this literal couple "Adam and Eve," and there is no reason to doubt their real existence.

The Genesis account contradicts macroevolution. Genesis speaks of the creation of Adam from the dust of the ground, not his evolution from other animals (Gen. 2:7). It speaks of direct immediate creation at God's command, not long natural processes (cf. Gen. 1:1, 3, 6, 9, 21, 27). God created Eve from Adam; she did not evolve separately. Adam was an intelligent being who could speak a language, study and name animals, and engage in life-sustaining activity. He was not an ignorant half-ape.

I'm convinced that whoever wrote this pile of trash is most definitely an ignorant half-ape.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: The

Roisin Dubh wrote:

The Genesis account contradicts macroevolution. Genesis speaks of the creation of Adam from the dust of the ground, not his evolution from other animals (Gen. 2:7). It speaks of direct immediate creation at God's command, not long natural processes (cf. Gen. 1:1, 3, 6, 9, 21, 27). God created Eve from Adam; she did not evolve separately. Adam was an intelligent being who could speak a language, study and name animals, and engage in life-sustaining activity. He was not an ignorant half-ape. 

Yes, because the people who wrote the bible 1,500 years ago were so familiar with the concept of evolution...

How ridiculous. So they're saying that because the bible says one thing, everything we've learned since it was written is wrong and/or irrelevant.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sadly my mother would agree

Sadly my mother would agree with that person.

"The Bible says it so it's true."  Horseshit.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Quote: God created Eve

Quote:
God created Eve from Adam; she did not evolve separately.

Emphasis mine. This is frighteningly reminiscent of an argument put across by former poster here, Bodhitharta. He appears to have convinced a family member to point a camera at him while he spouts his insights for YouTube. One of these was that evolution is impossible, because it apparently rests on the assumption that male and female animals evolved separately and coincidentally. You didn't read that wrong.

Quote:
Adam was an intelligent being who could speak a language, study and name animals, and engage in life-sustaining activity.

I like how he's stuck working with what information the bible offers, so he lists “naming animals” as a personality trait or activity of Adam.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Everystudent.com has a

Everystudent.com has a multide of sites that pop up on chalk boards at my university from time to time.

When i was a pagan i asked them to change a part of their "different religions" page. It says that pagans believe they are god explicity.

YOu should read the arguments for god section it is totally fucking stupid. 

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
They are stupid to think

They are stupid to think that the Adam and Eve story is a historical based one,and that the Bible proves it. Fucking nonsense.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Sadly my

Watcher wrote:

"The Bible says it so it's true." Horseshit.

You've mentioned your mother a couple of times and the fact you haven't told her yet.  Word to the wise: Don't let her use your computer. Smiling  She'll find out where you hang out and read your posts.  Fundamentalist Christians are creepy-snoopy.  They do insane shit like that.  

Hi, Mom!  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Watcher wrote:

You've mentioned your mother a couple of times and the fact you haven't told her yet. Word to the wise: Don't let her use your computer. Smiling She'll find out where you hang out and read your posts. Fundamentalist Christians are creepy-snoopy. They do insane shit like that.

Hi, Mom!

Yeah, my parents are fundies (my dad's even a minister), and fortunately, they've never been snoopy with me.  I guess I got lucky.  It's not so much because they respect my privacy, but more because they don't want to find something upsetting out about me and have to do anything about it.  

But yeah, to Watcher, it's impressive that you've managed to keep your atheism from your mom.  When I became an atheist (at the age of eleven), my intention was the keep it from my parents.  I made it six months before they knew what was up.  I guess I'm bad at stifling myself when they say something retarded.  Things would have been a lot easier if I'd just kept my mouth shut.  But then, they'd probably have made me go to church a lot longer, so I guess it evens out. 

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Sadly my

Watcher wrote:

She must sketch interesting circles. 

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Well 1) My mother lives 5

Well 1) My mother lives 5 hours away.  2) I became atheist at the age of 30. 3) I'm an IT administrator with a BA in Computer Science. 4)  My mother is just a typical computer user that can't even fix glitches on her computer(I'm her computer support).

So I'm not too worried about her accidentally finding out about my atheism.  Well my brother may mention it to her.  But he realizes what a huge deal it would be and I'm pretty sure he's even less inclined to tell her than I am.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

A n o n y m o u s (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Adam & Eve

Logically, how do they explain that if Adam & Eve were the first humans on Earth, AND if all other humans descended from Adam & EVe, then obvously the entire human race is a product of INCEST!!  That's very simple logic.

BethK
atheist
BethK's picture
User is offlineOffline
East of Nod

A n o n y m o u s wrote:

Logically, how do they explain that if Adam & Eve were the first humans on Earth, AND if all other humans descended from Adam & EVe, then obvously the entire human race is a product of INCEST!!  That's very simple logic.

After Cain left, he married and had children with a woman from "East of Nod". So, where did SHE come from? It seems that Adam and Eve weren't the <b>only</b> people on earth, just the ones our author is focusing upon.

How's my proselytizing? Call 1-800-FANATIC

Beth

Jared (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
BethK wrote:A n o n y m o u

BethK wrote:

A n o n y m o u s wrote:

After Cain left, he married and had children with a woman from "East of Nod". So, where did SHE come from? It seems that Adam and Eve weren't the <b>only</b> people on earth, just the ones our author is focusing upon.

Hey! I just found this forum and l'm waiting for my password to get to my email. Whoo hoo!

A creationist biologist would say that Cain married his sister. The anonymous poster person makes a really interesting remark about incest. I'm guessing by his/her emphisis on the word incest, he conciders incest to be "wrong".  But I am confused as to why he, as an athiest, has ethical concerns about incest. Possibly because, in his culture, incest is highly taboo. But the only physiological problem with incest is the increased risk of the offspring having recesive genetic diseases. However, asuming a first man and woman with the first and perfect human DNA, in that time there would be extremely little, if any, genetic degridation, and so incest would really be no problem for a first set of siblings.

And going beyond that, according to Genisis text, Adam lived to be over 900 years old (again, assuming original and perfect DNA that is plausible). We can guess Eve could live about the same length of time, if not longer. You can make a lot of babies in 900 years.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jared wrote:I'm guessing by

Jared wrote:
I'm guessing by his/her emphisis on the word incest, he conciders incest to be "wrong".  But I am confused as to why he, as an athiest, has ethical concerns about incest.

Hmmm, I think he's actually responding to Christians who attempt to rationalize that incest was not committed. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

whirlwind
Theist
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Jared

butterbattle wrote:

Jared wrote:
I'm guessing by his/her emphisis on the word incest, he conciders incest to be "wrong".  But I am confused as to why he, as an athiest, has ethical concerns about incest.

Hmmm, I think he's actually responding to Christians who attempt to rationalize that incest was not committed. 

Incest was wrong then and is wrong now.  God doesn't change. 

Hebrews 13:8  Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and to day and forever.

Christians wrongly assume incest was committed because so few are taught that Adam wasn't the first human.  So you are correct, they are rationalizing but it is out of

their desire to understand.

JaredsRealityPursuit
User is offlineOffline
whirlwind wrote: Christians

whirlwind wrote:

Christians wrongly assume incest was committed because so few are taught that Adam wasn't the first human.

According to the Genesis account, Adam was the first man. And yet you seem to be coming from some kind of religious standpoint? I'm interested to hear what you have to say about our origins.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
All you have to do to

All you have to do to believe one word of the bible is to accept "POOF" as an answer.

The same credulity that leads people to believe that lucky horseshoes work and Ouija boards work is why people believe in god/s. It is the desire to avoid harm. So humans make up these superstitions as a placebo coping mechanism.

Evolution does not claim a "first couple", but a long period of transition and slow change that lead to our current homo-sapients PLURAL which came from common ancestors PLURAL. There was never a "first couple".

The bible as it reads give absolutely no scientific knowledge of evolution, much less the evolution of our human species. It talks about a one week period where everything from the sun and plants and all life "POOF" suddenly existed.

Any idiot trying to fit this into modern science is a fool.

Adam and Eve is a myth. And not even accepted by the Jews they spun this myth off of, not that Lilith was real either.

The entire bible is a joke scientifically, but even moreso a comic book sideshow in Genesis. It treats the sun and moon as separate sources of light. It pops out adult plants without the aid of growth or photosynthesis, much less adult humans magically popping out of dirt and adult women fully grown from a man's rib.

It is a comic book still falsely believed to be relevant and fact by far too many people still today. No sane person believes that Isis had sex with a disembodied penis to make Horus, but yet Adam and Eve is a myth that still plagues humanity today.

The bible, and all the god/s of Abraham and all those "holy books" need to be rightfully called out for the comic books they really are. Humanity will not find peace until these myths die.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog