the source of that 6000 year hang up...that's not actually in that Bible [kill em with kindness]

BookofJob
Theist
User is offlineOffline
the source of that 6000 year hang up...that's not actually in that Bible [kill em with kindness]

http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/genesis_genealogies.html

James Ussher....what hath you wrought? There are some excellent other places to do research on this subject as it's rather a complicated story. As usual Rich Deem has done a pretty good overview (it's long though) here of the problems with Christians OR athiests claiming the Bible says the earth, mankind, or the universe are '6000 years old'. 

Anytime you take a word or concept from another culture and time, take it across millenia, and automatically assume you have a 1 for 1 exchange right....well that doesn't always work out. The Bible in fact makes NO such 6000 year claim...none whatsoever. In fact careful study reveals a very different picture.

One of the problems today is so many people commenting on the Bible in the media (including some claiming to be 'Christian') know virtually nothing about it and these things seep into popular culture. You can claim to have 'no beliefs' until something is proven to you, but that's a bit of a cop out. If you won't study a subject, and automatically turn your brain off (yes...the Bible calls us to reason...not follow blindly) how will you have enough information to even interpret what you are presented? Interpretting something with no background....why...that's a tough one! It's virtually impossible to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ussher_chronology

The English word 'corn' appears about 100 times in the KJV Bible...yet not one time does it mean what the average modern reader thinks it does..or at least the modern average American reader. Is the Bible claiming corn or maize was growing in Middle East at the time the Bible was written? No....is the Bible wrong? No.....is it an error....No.

It requires knowing the history of the word 'corn' and knowing what words were translated as corn and why. The average modern reader can make many mistakes in translation reading the poetic but archaic English of the KJV without some background.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bibleorg.html

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
So, in other words, to

[MOD EDIT: NOT KIND ENOUGH]

This brings up a couple of questions:

1. This doesn't solve all the other flat out wrong science in the Bible.

2. If you take this part (and I'm sure you take other parts) metaphorically, is there any part of it you take literally or seriously?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
BookofJob

SAPIENT MOD EDIT.

You must not have realized you were in the kill em with kindness forum.  I devised a method for all board members to alert me to KEWK posts.  Any member can post that there is a new post in Kill em With Kindness, and I will add the red warning banner.  Post links to Kill em With Kindness threads here.  I want to try to maintain this area with a high level of "kindness."  I've put the red notice on these threads, but apparently you posted in the thread before noticing what forum it was in.  I've removed some content for kindness.  I am reasonably certain you can post in a kinder fashion if you are aware that you are in the KEWK forum and I encourage you to do so.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes

BookofJob wrote:

...the Bible calls us to reason...not follow blindly.

But the bible also tells us we are evil scum and must believe or we will be tortured...

These are the simple fundamentals of the christian faith that don't require cognitive tap-dancing to understand.

Or was jesus wrong in Mark when started railing on about lakes of fire?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

BookofJob wrote:

...the Bible calls us to reason...not follow blindly.

But the bible also tells us we are evil scum and must believe or we will be tortured...

These are the simple fundamentals of the christian faith that don't require cognitive tap-dancing to understand.

Or was jesus wrong in Mark when started railing on about lakes of fire?

AE, that's round two of "the Bible doesn't really mean that" game.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin