How did time begin?

Master Jedi Dan
Master Jedi Dan's picture
User is offlineOffline
How did time begin?

Rationally, I think that we can conclude that time had a beginning.  For example, if I told you I was going to give you a candy bar after an infinite amount of time, would you ever get it?  No, because we could never conclude that an infinite amount of time had passed.  The same can be applied to the universe.  The earth had to come about after a finite amount of time, otherwise it would have never been created.  So what started time itself?  Was it an event that involved matter, energy, and the speed of light?  I know that with the theory of relativity and other things scientists have discovered, there might be an explanation, but my mind is still kind of cloudy on how it all happened.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Master Jedi Dan

Master Jedi Dan wrote:
Rationally, I think that we can conclude that time had a beginning. For example, if I told you I was going to give you a candy bar after an infinite amount of time, would you ever get it? No, because we could never conclude that an infinite amount of time had passed. The same can be applied to the universe. The earth had to come about after a finite amount of time, otherwise it would have never been created. So what started time itself? Was it an event that involved matter, energy, and the speed of light? I know that with the theory of relativity and other things scientists have discovered, there might be an explanation, but my mind is still kind of cloudy on how it all happened.

Time is interlinked with space, so time began when space begin.  

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Time is interlinked

Quote:

Ah yes, another factor to add in.  So whatever made time also made space...and we know that matter cannot exist outside of space (or at least this is only what we have observed, and we cannot fathom how matter could exist outside of space), so whatever made time and space also made matter itself.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
It seems that space and time

It seems that space and time are interrelated. I don't think one can exist without the other. Out present understanding is that they both began together. I guess that's how the Flying Spaghetti Monster decided it would be.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
Randalllord:wroteRational

Randalllord:
wrote
Rational VIP

It seems that space and time are interrelated. I don't think one can exist without the other. Out present understanding is that they both began together. I guess that's how the Flying Spaghetti Monster decided it would be.
or that's how the big bang, evolution theory decided it would be.

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
Time is interlinked with

really?so how the awesome  big  bang  knows how to create  time and space ?
may be the same way Flying Spaghetti Monster decided it?

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
Quote: or that's how the

Quote:

or that's how the big bang, evolution theory decided it would be.

This isn't what I'm asking...I'm asking something deeper than how matter expanded.  The "big bang" is irrelevant, it would have happened after time, matter, and space began. I'm asking how time, matter, and space all began.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not even sure that time

I'm not even sure that time even exists, much less its nature, so I have no guess about its origins.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
( sory but this is  the the

( sory but this is  the the atheiests ,evolutionists  creation ...)The mainstream theory on the origin of the universe is called the big bang theory. Basically it states that in the beginning there was nothing; no time, no, space, no matter, no dimensions. Some how, there blinked into existence a singularity. (A point in space that had 0 height, 0 length, 0 width) that contained all the matter and energy in the universe. This point exploded and the results is the present day universe time and space .

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
King Nothing wrote: ( sory

King Nothing wrote:
( sory but this is the the atheiests ,evolutionists creation ...)The mainstream theory on the origin of the universe is called the big bang theory. Basically it states that in the beginning there was nothing; no time, no, space, no matter, no dimensions. Some how, there blinked into existence a singularity. (A point in space that had 0 height, 0 length, 0 width) that contained all the matter and energy in the universe. This point exploded and the results is the present day universe time and space .

Actually it could have been done with symmetry breaking, quantum tunneling, flucuations, brane collisions etc... but that's just me.

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
( sorry but this is the

( sorry but this is the atheiests ,evolutionists creation ...)The mainstream theory on the origin of the universe is called the big bang theory. Basically it states that in the beginning there was nothing; no time, no, space, no matter, no dimensions. Some how, there blinked into existence a hot steaming singularity. (A point in space that had ? height, ? length, ? width) that contained all the matter and energy in the universe. This point exploded and the results is the present day universe time ,space ,life.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uh, thanx for the

Uh, thanx for the repitition King...

BTW, I've always liked brane-theory myself. 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
How could time have a

How could time have a begining?

If time had a begining, what started time? Was it timeless? Impossible. 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: How could time

AiiA wrote:

Two possibilites:

1) Something was eternal (multiverse for example)

2) ex nilho creation (start of both time/space)

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: AiiA

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
AiiA wrote:

Two possibilites:

Unless you can demonstrate how time started neither of these work. Obviously time existed pre-Planck

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
How could evolution  have a

How could evolution  have a begining?big bang may be?

If evolution  had a begining, what started evolution? Was it time-space ,(big lie= ,evolution)  ? Impossible.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let me add that space might

Let me add that space might not be needed for time to exist.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
King Nothing wrote: How

King Nothing wrote:
How could evolution have a begining?big bang may be?

If evolution had a begining, what started evolution? Was it time-space ,(big lie= ,evolution) ? Impossible.
nothing

you seem to be uneducated

Let me guess, you believe there's a god, right? 

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
what started the

what started the pre-Planck?may be the spaghetty monster?   farts?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Cpt_pineapple

AiiA wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:
AiiA wrote:

Two possibilites:

Unless you can demonstrate how time started neither of these work. Obviously time existed pre-Planck

Time is interlinked with space. If it's ex nihlo that it was the creation of space-time. If the multiverse always existed it contained space-time.

Nothing is known prior to the Planck time. However, Big Bang is the initial expansion of space-time. So yes, space-time existed prior Planck, but as I said, two possibilites.  

King Nothing wrote:

How could evolution  have a begining?big bang may be?

If evolution  had a begining, what started evolution? Was it time-space ,(big lie= ,evolution)  ? Impossible.

Is that all you type? 

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
Let me guess, you believe

Let me guess, you believe there's a god, right? you are totally wrong

I do not believe on evolution or creation .

{MOD edit removed pointless link to nowhere} 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
King Nothing wrote: Let me

King Nothing wrote:

Let me guess, you believe there's a god, right? you are totally wrong

I do not believe on evolution or creation .

scientologist maybe?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Let me add that

AiiA wrote:

Let me add that yes, it does. Time is the fourth dimension. 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: AiiA

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

AiiA wrote:

Were there any dimensions pre-Planck?

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
AiiA wrote:

Maybe not...

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/in-no-time

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
multiverse or ex nihilo

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
hey vip MOD's  why my link

hey vip MOD's  why my link points to nowhere ?.
maybe second hand links   ?

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
King Nothing, purely out of

King Nothing, purely out of curiosity, how old are you?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote:

AiiA wrote:

Were there any dimensions pre-Planck?

Yep. M-theory predicts 11 (10+time)

hmmm. Interesting but I am quite skeptical.

*strokes chin*

{fixed quotes}

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
how to create fake google

how to create fake google links
by king of nothing ...

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
hey xamination, purely out

hey xamination, purely out of curiosity, how old are you? and where are  you from?

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sure, I'll play - I'm 18. 

Sure, I'll play - I'm 18.  You?

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
I'll play too - I'm from

I'll play too - I'm from NY .and how old are You? 18? really?

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Didn't answer my question -

Didn't answer my question - how old are u?

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
King Nothing wrote: hey

King Nothing wrote:
hey xamination, purely out of curiosity, how old are you? and where are you from?

What are you if you don't believe in creation or evolution? 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Master Jedi Dan

Master Jedi Dan wrote:

It's Pat!

(let's see who get the reference) 

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
my high IQ forvide me

my high IQ forvide me frome   believe on any BS.
multiverse , exnilho ,abiogenesis,evolution ,creation,etc,

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you want to discuss

Do you want to discuss anything or are you simply here to disrupt conversations?

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only "time" we can

The only "time" we can relate to is time on earth. Time, of course, is related to the earth's revolutions in relation to the sun. Time in relation to the universe is incomprehensible (or does someone have a theory?)

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
What its the origin of DNA

What its the origin of DNA simply molecule ?
Where did it come from, and how?
The explanation of the origin of life offered by evolution theory is roughly this: Once upon a time, there was no life. Purely by chance, there came to be simple organisms capable of reproducing themselves. Random mutations introduced variety into the population of these organisms, with the result that some of them were better suited for competition than others. A scarcity of the natural resources necessary for these organisms to survive introduced competition for those resources. Those least fit for competition were unable to secure the resources that they needed to survive, and died without reproducing. Those best able to compete multiplied, with random mutations again introducing further variety. As this process was repeated, the organisms developed on an upward curve: each round of mutations introduced better organisms, and each round of competition killed off the weaker organisms. We are the result of the repetition of this process over millions of years.
Then what does evolution explain?
Evolution does not deal with origin of universe and origin of life?
how the evolution theory disproofs the spaghetti flying monster?  
Then what does it deal with. Origin of what?
where  is the  evidence to support abiogenesis ?
where  is the  evidence of life coming  by random processes from non-life?

King Nothing
User is offlineOffline
only simple questions ,

only simple questions ,

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
King Nothing wrote:

King Nothing wrote:
What its the origin of DNA simply molecule ?
Where did it come from, and how?
The explanation of the origin of life offered by evolution theory is roughly this: Once upon a time, there was no life. Purely by chance, there came to be simple organisms capable of reproducing themselves. Random mutations introduced variety into the population of these organisms, with the result that some of them were better suited for competition than others. A scarcity of the natural resources necessary for these organisms to survive introduced competition for those resources. Those least fit for competition were unable to secure the resources that they needed to survive, and died without reproducing. Those best able to compete multiplied, with random mutations again introducing further variety. As this process was repeated, the organisms developed on an upward curve: each round of mutations introduced better organisms, and each round of competition killed off the weaker organisms. We are the result of the repetition of this process over millions of years.
Then what does evolution explain?

Evolution does not deal with origin of universe and origin of life?
how the evolution theory disproofs the spaghetti flying monster?
Then what does it deal with. Origin of what?
where is the evidence to support abiogenesis ?
where is the evidence of life coming by random processes from non-life?

The middle of your post is a nice copy and paste from here.You are being blocked because of plagiarism and trolling. If you create a sock puppet account and try to return to post your information and activity here will be reported to your ISP and they will punish you appropriately (which can include cancelling your account).

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The only "time" we

Quote:
The only "time" we can relate to is time on earth. Time, of course, is related to the earth's revolutions in relation to the sun. Time in relation to the universe is incomprehensible (or does someone have a theory?)

Hmmm...well, if I was sitting in some place in the universe trillions of light-years away from the earth, time would still be passing, wouldn't it?  For example, I could have a ham sandwich with me.  The sandwich would eventually deteriorate as time passed.  Therefore, time would still be present.

Quote:
The middle of your post is a nice copy and paste from here.You are being blocked because of plagiarism and trolling. If you create a sock puppet account and try to return to post your information and activity here will be reported to your ISP and they will punish you appropriately (which can include cancelling your account).

Thank you BGH.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Master Jedi Dan

BGH wrote:
Master Jedi Dan wrote:

It's Pat!

(let's see who get the reference)

I'm your huckleberry.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nullusdeus wrote: The only

nullusdeus wrote:

Yes, time diliation is one. 

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't buy the whole "One

I don't buy the whole "One needs three dimensions in order for a fourth dimension to exist" thing. It just seems hoakey, especially in regards to time.  While yes, I do agree that one needs something to reference time with (such as a planet or star), you don't need to see or experience any of these to know that time is passing. For example, sitting in a purely black room for a week. You will know that some time has passed.

So, in my opinion at least, I think that only two dimensions are needed in order for us to effectively reference time. A single plane (Call it X) and then time. The order doesn't matter, although I think the whole idea that time is the fourth dimension is pretty shoddy and riddled with the notion that time travel is indeed possible (outside of theoretically travelling faster than the speed of light).

I'll also use the example of a ray of light. A ray of light moves in a one dimensional way. It operates purely on a O -------> basis with O being the source of the light and the arrow representing it's path. You don't see rays of light, unless acted upon by an outside source, traveling in paths looking like this: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/.... etc (I'm not talking about waves since that IS technically how light travels, I'm talking about the appearance of it). You can notice this if you cut a tiny hole in a piece of paper and shine a flashlight through it in a dusty room. The light only appears to travel on one plane. Of course you can change the direction of it, but it only has the ability to move in the one direction it is point... unless acted upon by an outside source.

And so, with this, I think that time only needs one other plane to exist with. Either up/down, left/right, forward/backward it doesn't matter.

While yeah, what I gave was a pretty bad example that shows that you'd actually need two planes of existance for light to be used as a reference to time, but I hope the idea is represented.

If not, I'll clarify it a bit more.

Take a look at your desk. Hopefully the surface of it is pretty flat. Now, draw a line on your desk (with your mind, I don't care) and put two points on this line. Have these two points 'move' about on this plane. You now have two one dimensional moving objects. One can now use this as a reference of time that has passed as well.

If these two objects on your line were to move about in a predictable manner, one could easily formulate a method of noting time. This would be especially easy if, say, you were a third, unmoving, object on this plane.

So, with the knowledge that I do have in this field, I find that having a required number of dimensions for time to exist to be a pretty silly notion that (probably) stems from the idea that time travel is possible.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: I don't

CrimsonEdge wrote:

I don't buy the whole "One needs three dimensions in order for a fourth dimension to exist" thing. It just seems hoakey, especially in regards to time. While yes, I do agree that one needs something to reference time with (such as a planet or star), you don't need to see or experience any of these to know that time is passing. For example, sitting in a purely black room for a week. You will know that some time has passed.

Who exactly is making this claim? 

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: So, with

CrimsonEdge wrote:
So, with the knowledge that I do have in this field, I find that having a required number of dimensions for time to exist to be a pretty silly notion that (probably) stems from the idea that time travel is possible.

Nice work.  I can understand what you're saying with this.  Personally, I don't think time travel will ever be possible...that is, traveling back in time.  Traveling forward in time might be possible, but I don't really see the advantages of it. 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why does 'time beginning'

Why does 'time beginning' appear so mysterious? If there is no three dimensional space, no entities, how can there be time? No entities, no time. Time is relational, isn't it?

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: I don't

CrimsonEdge wrote:

I don't buy the whole "One needs three dimensions in order for a fourth dimension to exist" thing. It just seems hoakey, especially in regards to time. While yes, I do agree that one needs something to reference time with (such as a planet or star), you don't need to see or experience any of these to know that time is passing. For example, sitting in a purely black room for a week. You will know that some time has passed.

This statement is internally contradictory... it claims there can dimensionless time, but then refers to three dimensional entities in three dimensional space (i.e. a person, sitting about, noting change)

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: Why does

todangst wrote:

Why does 'time beginning' appear so mysterious? If there is no three dimensional space, no entities, how can there be time? No entities, no time. Time is relational, isn't it?

It doesn't really appear as mysterious.  All I want to know is how it began.

It doesn't have to be relational.  If I am sitting in space with nothing around me, I can say "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven...", and so on.  While I am counting, I can say to myself, "Twenty counts have passed."  In other words, time has passed.  Here, it is being measured in "counts".  I don't need anything else.  I could even be a matterless soul and time still would have passed.