Science of love

MythSlayer
MythSlayer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Science of love

I met a girl recently and we were attracted to one another. Unfortanatly she turned out to be a christain and the talk evetually turn to religion.  I told her that I hold a scientific world view and am at odds with religion.  I was accused of having science as a religion.  I of course argued that science is not a religion and gave all the typical responses on how science is different from religion.

I went on to explain that I experience the same types of feelings that religous people do but don't feel the need to put them in a religous context.  I said that I have a passion for discovery and attainment of knowledge. I also told her how I take awe in life, nature, and the universe and they're most likely the same emotions that she feels when she thinks of God.

The conversation went on to the feelings one has when there's a "chemestry" between people.

My question (rather her question) is what is the scientific resoning behind passion and chemestry? Does anyone know of any brain studies comparing brain activity of scientific wonder vs. theistic love. 

We see the world as abstractions our minds create based on the tiny sliver of reality our bodies can detect.  You create your own reality.  The question is, how real is it? 

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's all chemistry --

It's all chemistry -- neurochemistry at least. There are lots of good books that can explain this because it's a very complex subject, but ultimately your individual neuronal structure and neurotransmitters cause reactions to stimuli in your environment, including attractive women and beautiful landscapes. That is where the entirety of human experience originates.