Modern Science and a Belief in God, Compatible?

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Modern Science and a Belief in God, Compatible?

Good day my R.R.S. friends. This thread is the product of something that has been on my mind for the past few days. I've been truly bothered by what I've been learning about the current scientific views on the origin of life. I say bothered because the evidence of modern science seems to be pointing to the lack of need for there to be a God who created everything.

The other thread I have been responding to has been very fruitful in increasing my understanding of the scientific views of the origin of life. Although, it seems to simultaneously be doing a number on the strength of my faith. So, I will ask a similar question I asked one of my philosophy professors many years ago, but this time, have it pertain to scientists.

How can a scientist believe in God?

I would appreciate any views you have. Personal experience of scientists you met who believe in God, books you've read, or how you yourself believe in God. Although, I suppose the latter experience won't be expressed most likely on an R.R.S. forum.  

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
'God Theory' by Bernard

'God Theory' by Bernard Haisch, He's an astrophysicist.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
If, as I'm assuming, he

If, as I'm assuming, he attempts to reconcile his concept of a deity with what he knows about astrophysics, is this a deity we'll recognize from the bible or another holy book? Is it a "god of the gaps?" Does he arbitrarily attribute the wonders he sees in his profession to a deity?
(Anything to avoid having to add another to my book list.)

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:

magilum wrote:
If, as I'm assuming, he attempts to reconcile his concept of a deity with what he knows about astrophysics, is this a deity we'll recognize from the bible or another holy book? Is it a "god of the gaps?" Does he arbitrarily attribute the wonders he sees in his profession to a deity?
(Anything to avoid having to add another to my book list.)

No it is not the God of the bible who created the world in 6,000 years and is a bearded man in the sky.

It's more like pantheism

I created a topic about his concept of God here:

[edit:fixed link]

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, Pineapple. I'm more

Thanks, Pineapple. I'm more confused by your position than ever.
Eye-wink