One simple argument among many refuting intelligent design

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
One simple argument among many refuting intelligent design

Allergies..... plain and simple.  Allergies (such as pollen) happen because your body's immune system is overreacting to antigens that are not harmful to the human body.  Without going into detail, simply speaking, if we were "intelligently designed" why would our creator create our immune system so flawed?  Our immune system is designed to detect antigens or foreign objects in our body that could harm us.  This is why bacteria and other pathogens go to great lengths (through our own immune system acting as selective pressures) to change their surface antigens (proteins that our immune system recognizes) so that our immune system cannot recognize them and destroy them.  So.. it would seem very unintelligent for our immune system to overreact to harmless foreign objects such as pollen. Not very "intelligent".

I suffer from spring allergies and let me tell you there is nothing intelligent about my body over reacting to harmless antigens. It just goes to show that our immune system reacts "unintelligently" to foreign objecs not payin attention to whether they are harmful or not and in fact reacts in a manner that is more harmful than good to things that cannot hurt us.  This is not intelligent design but simply chemistry and physics.  An intelligent designer would obviously not build a human body that is flawed with allergies.  One of the many examples on how the theory of intelligent design is a flat out lie.  Our bodies are not "intelligently designed" because if they were, they would not hurt us due to other "intelligently designed" things such as pollen.  

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote: I

LeftofLarry wrote:

I suffer from spring allergies and let me tell you there is nothing intelligent about my body over reacting to harmless antigens. 

Trust me Larry, I TOTALLY feel your pain. I have them spring and fall, where I am often cursing the non-existant diety because of them. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Larry, don't you know

Larry, don't you know anything????

After God created the earth and looked on it and said it was good, Satan entered the body of a snake and perched on the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.  When Eve sauntered by, he tempted her to disobey Yahweh by eating the fruit and she did...and gave some to Adam, to boot.  

Because Adam and Eve sinned, nature fell and became imperfect.  That's where allergies come from.  It's perfectly logical.

(Jesus, I can't believe I used to believe this garbage.) 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
hahah..yeah...I forgot..

hahah..yeah...I forgot.. eating an apple=allergies for some people but not all. Smiling  Nevermind the genetic basis of allergies....only those who have the MOST original sin are doomed to suffer allergies, whereas others who have LESS original sin, do not suffer from allergies.. hmm...I wonder how god decides who has allergies and who doesn't.  I mean.. if it's about original sin, then why don't all people suffer from allergies?  Plus..they're just annoying.. Snot=consequence of original sin eh? ;p

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

ABx
User is offlineOffline
Multiple sclerosis and

Multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis would be another similar example, both of which are caused by the immune system attacking a person's own body... how intelligent is that!

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
ABx wrote: Multiple

ABx wrote:
Multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis would be another similar example, both of which are caused by the immune system attacking a person's own body... how intelligent is that!

Oh man, there are about 80 or so autoimmune diseases, lupus, antiphsopholipid syndrome, autoimmune hepatitis, etc..etc..all these are immune system errors.  But let's not forget about all the other intelligent designed genetic diseases...  cancer, genetic disorders such as down syndrome or worse yet, anencephaly, cri du chat syndrome, cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, I mean the list goes on and on...

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah, springtime! When all

Ah, springtime!

When all the outdoor types bring fresh FLOWERS to work.

Ack!  The Day Job is crawling with pollen.

Some silly people actually open all the windows in their house claiming they're "airing it out to freshen it up". 

I must live on antihistimines. 

If we were intelligently designed, (as Gallagher said) would god have put something so wet and runny upside down over our mouths? 

I'm guessing that Gallagher must have allergies, too. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.