Physicist Claims Science Proves God's Existence

Lux
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Physicist Claims Science Proves God's Existence

http://www.kpho.com/news/13323731/detail.html

This is the guy who coined "the Omega Point" Theory. There is going to be a big special about it Monday night on Fox News (I think its just local)......

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." -CS Lewis

Lux
Theist
User is offlineOffline
this is where he goes on

this is where he goes on the explain his conclusions in a different video

http://www.kpho.com/video/13318301/index.html

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." -CS Lewis

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
I don't really see how this

I don't really see how this proves God. All I saw him talking about were singularity's and whatnot. Suppose we'll have to wait for a physicist's opinion. O.o

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.

Lux
Theist
User is offlineOffline
are there any in here?

are there any in here?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not a physicist, but I

I'm not a physicist, but I can still tell you he's full of it. He's doing a lot of leaping logic jumps. End result is that he hasn't proved anything.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I don't know how that leads

I don't know how that leads to God, but that guy reminded me of Wilfred Brimely. Laughing

Mattness
Mattness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lux wrote:

Lux wrote:
are there any in here?

There are. (I'm not one of them, not yet I might add Wink)

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
You do know that Tipler is

You do know that Tipler is a laughing stock in the scientific comunity?

And that his work is based upon untested assumptions that have the vast majority of phycisits going "LOLno!"?

And that he's totally ripping off Greg Bear and about a gazillion other sci-fi writers?

Right? 

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Gnophilist
Gnophilist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Warning: this is the same

Warning: this is the same guy who believes math proves that we will all eventually obtain the ability to program into existence bits of reality and that we will be able to reincarnate ourselves into perfectly created bodies and have an algorithm match us to perfectly created mates for the most perfect sex conceivable...

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Explaining the universe by invoking god is like solving an equation by multiplying both sides with infinity. It gives you a trivial solution and wipes away any real information about the original problem.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL. I knew the Pineapple

LOL. I knew the Pineapple would show up, he is a physicist. I am not a physicist, but I am fairly versed in it because in Biophysics I had to do thermodynamics, ion flow, hemodynamics, gas exchange ,enzyme kinetics and QED (for ion channels).

Frank Tipler is the man who created Omega Point with Freeman Dyson. ALthough he is largely discredited now, he is not trying to "prove God" in the sense of God as the tribal transcendant Wargod of the Ancient Jews. I actually wrote something about him in my essay here:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/philosophy_and_psychology_with_chaoslord_and_todangst/6279

This is the sliver of it which is relavent: 

Several renowned physicists got thinking that perhaps an intelligent civilization could create a "physical God" or the ultimate information processor which could simulate all quantum brain states. In a sense, we could create a physical manifestation of "the mind of God"(This would still not hold any of the classical theist attributes of God, because I have shown through the laws of physics that this is impossible. But it is the closest we could get). This would only work in an oscillatory universe because the gravitational contraction would have such force and colossal heat energy that the gradient of unequal distribution would rise so steeply that the maximal level of information processing would exponentially rise.

However, new data about inflationary space due to observed Supernovae have all but debunked oscillatory universe theory, the Dark Energy is more than a match for gravity . It would all depend in Tipler's Omega point about the relative density of the universe, but new observational evidence have caused this mathematical relationship to collapse. It is conceded that given the observations, Omega cannot equal >1. The thermal gradient necessary to produce a maximally intelligent entity, which would probably be represented in a complete simulation of reality with quantum brain states in the machine, does not exist.

Tipler's theory has been discredited ever since the discovery of Dark Energy and the observed Supernovae in 2002 which indicated that the universe is expanding, not contracting. In an expanding universe, the information gradient falls, it doesnt rise. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, but there are people

Yeah, but there are people more qualified than me. I'm simply a physics major.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Many scientists have in the

Many scientists have in the past hit a ceiling of knowlege and were in awe of what they didnt know beyond that and called it "God, only later for a future scientist to go beyond the prior roof and find a natural explination.

So what, this guy believes. Inteligent people are still prone to human phycology and human nature.

My quesiton to him would be, "Can you replicate spirit sperm". Can you demonstrate how a 3 day old dead body survives rigor mortis.

He is simply ine AWE of what lies beyond the sope of what humans dont understand. But that doesnt mean that we should stop every single time we dont know something and incert God into it.

"God" is an excuse to stop searching. All this scientist did was fool himself. "I dont see how we can understand further than this, so I will stick my myth in insted".

There is no such thing as hocus pocus no mater how much he wants it or you want it and no ammount of saying, "I'm smart so my deity exists" can ever replace EVIDENCE!

So, when he can show me godsperm in a petri dish under a microscope, then he may have something. I wont hold my breath though. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

High Pope
High Pope's picture
User is offlineOffline
cosmological singularity

cosmological singularity does not = deity

it does equal other theories:

thermodynamics

unified

hyperspace

string

gravity

etc.......

These are all great theories, but I'm not going to bow down and worship them.

If you put make up on a pig its still a pig.

High Pope

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm noticing a lot of that

I'm noticing a lot of that with the new theists that have been attracted in here since the Nightline debate: let's pick something that science does admit exists (like singularities or energy) and call that God! That way everyone is happy, right?

Uh, no. Just relabeling natural phenomena is pointless because it doesn't add anything to our understanding of them. In fact, it adds multiple layers of confusion and baggage now that something that used to just be a collapsed star is now the ill-defined creative force that people have been killing each other over for millennia. Let's just call things what they are and admit that God has not been seen anywhere, ever. 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: I'm

Tilberian wrote:

I'm noticing a lot of that with the new theists that have been attracted in here since the Nightline debate: let's pick something that science does admit exists (like singularities or energy) and call that God! That way everyone is happy, right?

It worked for the sun, volcanos, deserts, animals, and various others things.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Lux
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Tilberian wrote:

I'm noticing a lot of that with the new theists that have been attracted in here since the Nightline debate

oh yeah, the debate was ever so crippling for theists.....I don't know if we can ever recover from it...*end sarcasm*

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh yeah, the debate was

oh yeah, the debate was ever so crippling for theists.....I don't know if we can ever recover from it...*end sarcasm*

THATS IT? The 11 responses to your post, many of which directly adressed the topic at hand, and you decide to attack ONE sentence that has nothing to do with the OP. The mods have noticed that over the past several days you have posted a slew of threads, but failed to respond to many of them, and then went on to something new. Technically, this is not spamming and thusly is not against the board rules, but it pisses everyone off enough that it might as well be.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

gregfl
User is offlineOffline

Tilberian wrote:

Maybe, but the christians dont' seem to get it.  Claiming a pantheistic god is a position akin to atheism, not theism

This new crop of theists post-nightline debate are way to easy......

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: oh yeah,

deludedgod wrote:

THATS IT? The 11 responses to your post, many of which directly adressed the topic at hand, and you decide to attack ONE sentence that has nothing to do with the OP. The mods have noticed that over the past several days you have posted a slew of threads, but failed to respond to many of them, and then went on to something new. Technically, this is not spamming and thusly is not against the board rules, but it pisses everyone off enough that it might as well be.

Goes to show he's all talk and no substance.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Lux
Theist
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: oh yeah,

deludedgod wrote:

LOL....what am I supposed to respond to? More conjecture? More speculations? More opinions? I do respond, Look at my "pissing in the wind topic", I don't think I failed to respond in that one. On this post I'm just relating news about a scientist who "supossedly" found evidence for God.I'm Failing to see where a reply is needed...amidst the clear immaturity and deviant propaganda, I think I've done quite well to remain civil and respond even when I what I really think is a different ball game. You guys want to be part of a worth-while cause, want to find meaning in your lives?Quit hiding behind this crap, and get a real charity or cause, there are millions. When I see RRS losing thier collective shit about a debate on the internet that they claim to have won, it puts things in perspective about what this is really about, and thats acceptance and a desire to "do something". So you get pissed when I can't respond to every little post on this board? who the hell cares, I can only get to the ones that I see. BTW, intelligent and rational atheists don't care about what other people choose to believe, they live their own lives and let others do the same, most of you need to do some growing up and redirect your energy at being more productive members of society. You all Have NO RESPECT in the atheist community, and I do quite a bit of online reading. They all think you're a joke. And you don't even want to know what the "delusionals" are saying either. I come on here because I enjoy meeting different people that have other beliefs, some of you are very easy to talk to, some of you spit fire which makes me wonder what kind of hell you were put through as children, or maybe you're just some bitter people. Maybe I'm full of shit, but maybe we're ALL full of shit and GOd is laughing at us. either way, just relax, and go with the flow.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL....what am I supposed

LOL....what am I supposed to respond to? More conjecture? More speculations? More opinions? I do respond, Look at my "pissing in the wind topic", I don't think I failed to respond in that one.

So only the ones to which you can then? I said most not all, and I was just passing on a message from the board/

On this post I'm just relating news about a scientist who "supossedly" found evidence for God.I'm Failing to see where a reply is needed...amidst the clear immaturity and deviant propaganda

I thought my response was OK, as I am familiar with Tipler's Omega Point theory.

You guys want to be part of a worth-while cause, want to find meaning in your lives?

Did you just say find meaning in life? Buddy, I get PAID to find meaning in life, I study Quantum physics.

quit hiding behind this crap, and get a real charity or cause, there are millions.

Most of us are in one, mate. We jsut come here to debate. That's why I'm here.

When I see RRS losing thier collective shit about a debate on the internet that they claim to have won, it puts things in perspective about what this is really about, and thats acceptance and a desire to "do something".

You'll notice I've said nothing about Nightline either. In fact, I've dropped out of that thread for weeks now.

So you get pissed when I can't respond to every little post on this board?

Well, if you're not going to respond, the least you could do is not pick on the one sentence not relevant to the OP. 

who the hell cares, I can only get to the ones that I see.

I cannot make heads nor tails of this. Are you saying that you cannot see some of the posts?

BTW, intelligent and rational atheists don't care about what other people choose to believe,

I dont care what you believe. I lie awake struggling to care less. But I still come here to debate. Nothing wrong with that, eh?

they live their own lives and let others do the same,

I think it is somewhat hypocritical for this criticism to come from religion, which is notorious for not allowing others to live their own lives.

most of you need to do some growing up and redirect your energy at being more productive members of society.

I assure you most of the people here are "productive" members of society, asshole.

You all Have NO RESPECT in the atheist community, and I do quite a bit of online reading.

I dont care how little respect the RRS has online. I'm here to debate, and the site can offer that.

And you don't even want to know what the "delusionals" are saying either.

I trust you mean Frank Walton. Even other Christians hate him too. Not that it matters. Don't you think it was rather expected?

I come on here because I enjoy meeting different people that have other beliefs, some of you are very easy to talk to,

some of you spit fire which makes me wonder what kind of hell you were put through as children, or maybe you're just some bitter people.

I cannot speak for some of the American atheists on this thread, but if I was an atheist in America, and had to put up with they did, I'd be rather pissed off too. In fact, if I saw what they regularly experience, I'd be furious.

Maybe I'm full of shit, but maybe we're ALL full of shit and GOd is laughing at us.

That's your response?

either way, just relax, and go with the flow.

How brilliant! I should just forget all my debates, arguments and compilations. It doesn't matter, I'm full of shit. 

Unless you mean by "go with the flow" to mean live and let live regarding religion. Well, I would have a flurry of Americans on the forum saying not to point out the speck in your brother's eye while ignoring the log in your own 

-Me

Books about atheism

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lux wrote: You all Have NO

Lux wrote:

You all Have NO RESPECT in the atheist community, 

You mean the atheist community that spent its time mentally masturbating each other in coffee shops while Christian fundamentalists took over the poltical culture of the nation? That atheist community?

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Lux wrote: Tilberian

Lux wrote:
Tilberian wrote:

I'm noticing a lot of that with the new theists that have been attracted in here since the Nightline debate

Keep deluding yourself buddy, sky daddies are a product of fiction and yours is no different.

I'm so scared you have me quaking in my boots. Please dont let his invisable friend in the sky get me.

Spear yourself in the side, let all the blood drain out of your body and get back to me in 3 days. I'm sure you have enough evidence to do that, dont you?

I'd wait but tapping my fingers twiddling my thumbs is a waste of time, I'll leave that up to you. I have better things to do than dwell on fantacy.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog