Liquid Crystals, the source of your HDTV and Life?

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Liquid Crystals, the source of your HDTV and Life?

I've always thought this idea was especially plausible, and actualy did a small bit of work on it with some rather bright folks in the late 90s, apparantly, somebody has finally taken it to publicaiton......

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071122151148.htm

Essentially, what we're dealing with is the idea that liquid crystal dynamics, which DNA and RNA exhibit, essentially self select for linkage and polymerization, without any sort of biological entity involved. This is simply what these molecules naturally do.

Another small piece of the ever obvious puzzle.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
(imagining theist

(imagining theist response)

"Yeah... but... um..... GODDIDIT!"

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
User is offlineOffline
Questions

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS MEAN'S... ... IT'S GODS WILL!!!" (Sarcastic overtone applied heavily) Laughing out loud

Remember that while I'm typing this I'm just a freshman in college, with a HUGE interest in all the science fields. Yet, most of the science I know is based on self study, simply because my high school physics teacher did a PISS POOR job of teaching it without religious overtone. My biology teacher said "WE DIDN'T COME FROM NO DAMN MONKEYS!" but he was making joke and this was a college level class. This always made me smile. So if I'm wrong with something, please tell me so that I can maybe learn something.

Okay so what i'm getting out of this is that a plausable theory for the creation of life on Earth is from Liquid Crystals that contain the basic building blocks of life coming together and arranging themselves to form strands? I have a few questions  I didn't see answers too on the link.

1. (This ones probably me being stupid) Are the bases for DNA (Adenine, guanine, Thymine, Cytosine) and RNA (Adenine, Guanine, Uracil, Cytosine)  found randomly on the Earth, and how did these crystals absorb these bases?

2. If at the time, there was no "form of life", how could this DNA structures be used to create life from just DNA in water and crystals?

It's late and I have more questions but that will suffice for now. Got any ideas or thoughts on those?

Laughing out loud

- Josh

We pop theist like Orville Redenbacher!

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those are the exact

Those are the exact questions, Josh.

deludedgod has been spoon-feeding us biochem.

It is a lot of reading, but it is SOOOOO COOL!

Compilation of works from deludedgod

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
User is offlineOffline
So...

I'm not retarded!!! hah

I went to the works from deludedgod and i opened like 2 or 3 and they said under editing, boo!

I was gonna learn me some. Laughing out loud

- Josh

We pop theist like Orville Redenbacher!