The Greenhouse effect: The Antediluvian Canopy

bejayswimmer
bejayswimmer's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Greenhouse effect: The Antediluvian Canopy

I have been arguing with a friend of mine about this subject for weeks now, but the evidence is too vague its difficult to get any point across either way. When he mentioned that the ozone had more water in it 10,000 years ago, causing people to live longer i could not stop laughing. I researched for awhile but found nothing really refuting the creationist claim.

Anyone got any comments?

People of the Tirgis Valley, Nile Valley, and the Aegean maintained uninterrupted records extending before, throughout, and after Noah's Flood. Funny they didnt seem to notice their own "destruction".

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

I researched for awhile but found nothing really refuting the creationist claim.

That's because it is not commonly made. Almost nobody is that stupid. Are his parents brother and sister?

Quote:

When he mentioned that the ozone had more water in it 10,000 years ago, causing people to live longer i could not stop laughing.

I wouldn't have stopped either. The concept of "ozone having more water" is meaningless. Like saying "the goldfish had more bear". Ozone is a triatomic molecule, O3.

-Ozone is a layer in the upper atmosphere shielding from UV light. The concept of it having more "water in it" is meaningless

-There is no evidence, good reason, or sensible proposition as to why the increased concentration of water vapor in the atmosphere should have an effect on our lifespan.

-The only atmospheric effect that affects our lifespan (short of drastic atmospheric change) is that altitude. There is a correlation between the altitutude above sea level at which people live and decreased life span (this correlation is only present at high altitude). "High altitude" being defined as "8000 feet or up". Physiologically speaking, our body is not made to cope with prolonged living at high altitude. The increase in erthryocytes because of the decreased oxygen concentration at high altitude will cause the blood to become less viscous and harder to pump, as a result, a vicious cycle of erthrocyte production and cardiovascular overwork develops. For this reason, many people at High Altitude do not live much past 50-60, as the physiological symptoms entail edema and necrosis around the extremities from hypoxia. It's not pleasant.

WHat I just mentioned above, however, has nothing to do with what your friend was talking about. You should get him tested. I suspect he has six (or seven) extra chromosomes. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
As DG said, really makes no

As DG said, really makes no sense.

The amount and distribution of water vapour in the atmosphere are pretty much tied to patterns of atmospheric circulation and temperature, especially of the ocean surface.

There is a feedback effect in that water vapour has a significant greenhouse effect itself, which is thought to be a major driver of the ice-age cycles. Anything tending to increase temperatures, like CO2 concentration, will increase water vapour in the atmosphere, which will in turn add its own greenhouse contribution, especially if it finds its way higher in the atmosphere. Conversely anything cooling the ocean will start drawing water out of the atmosphere, further allowing things to cool. This is not directly connected with ozone, however.

Water in the form of clouds of tiny ice crytals, some in combination with chlorine and other halogen compounds seem to provide the environment needed for the ozone-destroying processes to occur. The need for the ice-clouds is why they occur mainly in polar regions.

What any of this has to do with human ageing is hard to imagine, altho perhaps more water in the form of ice clouds would reduce ozone therefore allowing more UV through which could be expected to increase skin cancers as well as accelerate the aging of the skin, IOW possibly reduce lifespan.

Of course one would want to know just what evidence there was for whatever was being claimed about 'water in the ozone' in the first place.

Why do I feel I have spent way too much time providing some possible context to what is probably an entirely uninformed and confused 'claim'....

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

bejayswimmer
bejayswimmer's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love yall, thanks for

I love yall, thanks for responding so quickly. My friend is surprisingly intelligent, which is why his claim caught me off guard...I wasnt even sure how to respond to it but my first thought was why would an increase of water in the ozone make people live longer? and what is their evidence of it?

Thanks again, maybe when i put that back in his face he will start thinking about the things hes professing are true. He told me he studies anti-evolution "evidence", such a waste of intelligence. Maybe once he has a response i will be back.

People of the Tirgis Valley, Nile Valley, and the Aegean maintained uninterrupted records extending before, throughout, and after Noah's Flood. Funny they didnt seem to notice their own "destruction".