Dehydration

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dehydration

So, I've got a really nice hangover.  I know that a lot of a hangover is dehydration, but there's a real puzzle in my brain.  When I woke up, I drank a glass of water.  Not a very big glass... maybe 12 ounces, tops.  Anyway, twenty minutes later, all that water got pissed straight into the toilet.  Someone who knows something about this please explain to me why our bodies piss away (literally) so much water when we're badly dehydrated.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't have too much

I don't have too much experience regarding hangovers but I do know it's better to force a glass or two or water in *before* you go to bed.  It's tough but somehow you have to get it down.  The best way to 'treat' dehydration is to keep it from happening.  Oh, and alcohol is a diuretic if you didn't know that already, so you probably just don't have it all out of your body yet.  

Anyway, I've been hospitalized for dehydration a few times for other medical reasons.  You really need to replenish both fluid and electrolytes.  Which is why in that circumstance drinking water alone (instead of IV fluids and oral replenishments) don't help.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: You really need to

Quote:
You really need to replenish both fluid and electrolytes.

Hmm... maybe that's what it is.  Normally, I drink one of those nasty powdered vitamin packets.  I know alcohol is a diaretic.  Perhaps Deludedgod knows something about this.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I usually drink water or

I usually drink water or Gatorade before bed and Gatorade the next morning and I don't usually feel too crummy.  The only thing is there is a ton of sugar in Gatorade. 

I have a friend who drinks Pedialyte before she goes to bed.  She swears she never feels hungover. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I have a

pariahjane wrote:

I have a friend who drinks Pedialyte before she goes to bed. She swears she never feels hungover.

Everytime I've tried that crap I swear it tastes worse than the time before... I imagine she must be pretty trashed to get it down.Eye-wink 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ethanol is diuretic, it will

Ethanol is diuretic, it will encourage the loss of water from the body. Its ironic that you drank water to relieve the dehydration and them commented on how fast it left you as urine, because the excess urination caused by the diuretic effect of ethanol is actually the cause of the dehydration. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hamby - Gatorade is ok,

Hamby -

Gatorade is ok, but really you need potassium, calcium, sodium, and magnesium. The Emergen-C works pretty well for that. You could also buy supplements at the store. Without the proper levels of minerals and electrolytes in the kidneys, everything just whooshes right through and your body doesn't hold on to it. If you can't get to a store, take water, some sugar (or honey), a pinch of salt, a little lemon or lime for flavor, and drink that. You can also take a Tums. 

FYI - I almost never have hangovers. Stick to vodka. Less methanol. Smiling 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I rarely have them either,

I rarely have them either, Kelly.  As you've witnessed, I'm pretty much a slow and steady drinker, and that leaves time to replenish as I go.  The other night, however, I was just back in town from a visit with the insane Christian family.  In an effort to escape quickly, I did far too many tequila shots in far too short a time. 

Thus, hangover.

I've tried the Emergen-C packets, and they seem to work very well.  Most nights when I drink, I take one before bed.  I gave up on gatorade several years ago precisely because of the sugar.  The sugar/salt/water idea is great. Pretty much everybody has those, so even if I'm not at home I can do that.

Books about atheism