If This Man Becomes President---We're So Screwed!

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
If This Man Becomes President---We're So Screwed!

Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich is on the campaign trail, well, so to speak. He has not made a formal announcement, but is waiting in the wings.

For those of you who are not familiar with Newt, he's a right wing theocratic  hypocrite who left his wife while she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery. At the same time, he was sleeping with, and then married, his assisstant.

He's another blowhard fanatic who believes that people of faith, i.e., christians, are a persecuted minority. Check it out:

Gingrich's War on Secularism

exerpt:

All 43 American presidents – even those who doubted religion – associated themselves with the Christian faith. Today, it is still far easier for a politician from a fringe religious sect, such as Mormonism, to be a serious national candidate than it would be for an atheist or an agnostic.

Yet, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is basing his political comeback, in part, on an assertion that the real bias in America is against those who believe in religion and that “radical secularism” is oppressing them.

“This anti-religious bias must end,” Gingrich told an enthusiastic audience of graduates from the late Rev. Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Gingrich’s strategy appears to be to repackage the Right’s lament about the so-called “war on Christmas” into a year-round campaign to make Christians view themselves as victims of evil, all-powerful secularists and liberals.

more... 

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mad World

Mad World

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
there's tons of dirt on

there's tons of dirt on newt and self contradicting comments and ridiculous political stances, but one of my favorite stories(and one that i've heard from many sources) is how he dumped his 2nd wife, whom he met during an affair he had during his first marriage. this is the version from http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/1984/11/osborne.html:

"After the separation in 1980, she had to be operated on again, to remove another tumor While she was still in the hospital, according to Howell, "Newt came up there with his yellow legal pad, and he had a list of things on how the divorce was going to be handled. He wanted her to sign it. She was still recovering from surgery, still sort of out of it, and he comes in with a yellow sheet of paper, handwritten, and wants her to sign it."

such a great christian.. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
and this from

and this from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17527506/

in march of 2007:

WASHINGTON - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.

"The honest answer is yes," Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired Friday, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep, that's Newt! The part

Yep, that's Newt!

The part about bringing the list in the hospital to a woman who was still incompacitated so she would sign the divorce agreement is sort of how religious fundamentalism works in politics. I'm sure Newt believes that if you get the sheeple drunk on god and the rapture (the opiam of the masses), while throwing in a boogie man (secularists), he can win the hearts and minds of the bible belt and evangelicals in particular.

It worked for Bush in two national elections. 

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Newt Gingrich

Well, if Newt comes anywhere near Washington again, we might as well head to Europe and survive while the Theocracy burns everyone. You know if you think of Newt in terms of the fact that he beat "Crazy Cooter" from the Dukes of Hazard for his seat in the House, a little sense of calm can be gained. His opponents would be a little tougher than Crazy, I would hope. As for Christians being downtrodden, I am sure they will be alright.  Weren't they calling themselves "THe Moral Majority"?

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Burnedout
User is offlineOffline
I got news for you...Newt

I got news for you...Newt does not stand the proverbial..."snowball in Hell's chance."  The ones to watch are Hillary Clinton, she will win.  The other is Fred Thompson for the Republicans.  Fred is putting a new spin on triangulation.  He is avoiding all the debates to avoid looking unpresidential.  The questions asked candidates of both parties are completely stupid and irrelevant for the most part.  Hillary will stand the Best chance in the Democratic primary because for one reason, her closest competition, Obama, has almost no experience.  Fred Thompson will win the Republican primary because of one reason, he will win the base of conservatives and Neocons.  As far as a race between the two, Hillary beats Fred by a hair as it stands now.  I have been an active political operative for years.  I am of neither party, they are both corrupt and rotten to the core.  The sooner a calamity wakes up the American people the better and both parties are destroyed. 

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
You may be right about

You may be right about Thompson. My feeling is that the other candidates in the ring thus far are not that appealing to the republican voter. Thompson has hinted that he will run, and I think he will.

For the dems, my bet is on John Edwards. He will appeal to the southern democrat. Clinton won't.  

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
i have heard some positive

i have heard some positive opinions on Edward's chances. but lately i've also heard Bill Richardson's name tossed around a lot, as the one to watch. anyone really know anything about him?

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know a lot about

I don't know a lot about Richardson except that he's govenor of New Mexico and was Bill Clinton's former energy secretary.

Found this:

http://www.americaforrichardson.org/

[MOD EDIT - fixed link] 

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
this is a really good

this is a really good source for the candidate's stances on the issues and voting records:

http://www.ontheissues.org 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Burnedout wrote:

Burnedout wrote:
The sooner a calamity wakes up the American people the better and both parties are destroyed.

Yup, I finally figured this out. I kept hoping it wasn't true, but the recent rubber-stamping by the Dems really, really pissed me off. What a bunch of losers.

I wrote this the other day on a political forum I used to post on quite often:

I wrote:
I can't take this shit anymore.

I actually sent a profanity-filled e-mail to Senator Reid, but the truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter what I do. The idea that we the people have any power is an illusion. Getting Dems into office won't fix shit. Working within the system is a joke.

So, what do we do? I'm no revolutionary. The system is broken, but I don't see any moral way to fix it.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
I understand your

I understand your frustration. I was disappointed with the recent Iraqi spending bill that the dems helped pass.

I'm not going to give up though. I support, through campaign contributions, candidates that I think will vote according to my political stance. Sometimes I'm disappointed, but sometimes I'm glad I took a few of my hard earned dollars and put it to a good cause and sent a message at the voting booth.

I still believe in the system and that's why it's important to me to help out organizations like the RRS and FFRF and support the separation of church and state. If we don't, the fundies take over and the system will be broken for sure!  

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
If this Newt fella comes to

If this Newt fella comes to power I think we're all screwed. Not just Americans! Seriously! If America descends into the depths of theocracy, it's only a matter of time before the rest of us feel it!

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Newt doesn't stand much of

Newt doesn't stand much of a chance considering his past marriage problems and his inability to raise much campaign cash this late in the game.

Another nutcase is Sam Brownback.  He belongs to a secretive Christian cult in D.C. known as The Fellowship.

Guiliani is probably the only Republican candidate, other than Ron Paul who doesn't court the Christian Reich.  Right now Mit Romney is gaining favor with the Christian Reich and may possibly get the endorsement of the Dobson, Robertson, etc. crowd.