Why Darwin Matters

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why Darwin Matters

I was doing some reading online (www.skeptic.com to be specific) and there was an exerpt of Michael Shermer's new book called "Why Darwin Matters". Of course I read the exerpt and in it he rose a very valid point. I'll quote him:

"If one is a theist, it should not matter when God made the universe—10,000 years ago or 10,000,000,000 years ago. The difference of six zeros is meaningless to an omniscient and omnipotent being, and the glory of divine creation cries out for praise regardless of when it happened. Likewise, it should not matter how God created life—whether it was through a miraculous spoken word or through the natural forces of the universe that He created. The grandeur of God’s works command awe regardless of what processes He used."

Well that raises some very interesting points, and I'm very curious to see what people have to say in elaboration to that. You can see the full exerpt at this link: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/06-08-30.html#excerpt

--Sarah--

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

NoGodJon (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
So basically god was behind

So basically god was behind the big bang? is that whats that saying....

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow.. I understood

Wow.. I understood something completely different from it. What I got from it is thus:

He's saying that if you believe in God it's irrelevant how old the earth is or how it was created because the "glory of god" should outweigh all of that. In saying that he's highlighting the irony that creationists find it such a big deal how the earth was created. He's basically saying "if you believe in God, why is it so damn important that the earth is only 4-6000 years old?"

Which, in my mind is a good point. Maybe I read that wrong, but that's what I get out of it, and it's that conundrum that I'm curious about opinions. If your a creationist, shouldn't it be irrelevant how old the earth is, in respect to the "glory of gods creation"?

--Sarah-- 

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.