Dawkins 1991 R. I. Lecture series (not to be missed!)

Klarky
Klarky's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dawkins 1991 R. I. Lecture series (not to be missed!)

Each year at Christmas the Royal institution of Great Britain broadcasts scientific lectures aimed at the general public and at children. This tradition goes back a few hundred years and has had many an illustrious speaker.

Back in 1991 it was Richard Dawkins turn. He produced a series of lectures called "Growing up in the Universe". I was in my early 20's at the time and it made a big impression on me.
I still have the series on VHS and after speaking to the folks at RDF.net they informed me that the foundation is in the process of acquiring the rights to release the series on DVD.

Looks like I wasn't the only person to keep a copy of this lecture series as someone has now put them up on youtube. I recommend to anyone that holds an interest in evolution and biology to watch these. They are aimed at children, so if you know anyone who wants to get a basic understanding of the theory of evolution get them to watch this video series. You will need several hours spare to get through all these, but they are worth it.

(watch out for the quaint early 90's computers and graphics Laughing out loud )
Again I can't recommend these highly enough, it's Dawkins doing what he does best as an educator.

Yellow perhaps a sticky for all those without an appreciation of the subject?

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
This was pretty good.  I

This was pretty good.  I think that all YECs on this board should be forced to watch these before they can engage us with their arguments. Smiling

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Richard hasn't changed in

Richard hasn't changed in 15-16 years

O_O