Guess we're a little less 'unique'.. neat!

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guess we're a little less 'unique'.. neat!

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1473208.htm

'Scientists have taught dolphins to combine both rhythm and vocalisations to produce music, resulting in an extremely high-pitched, short version of the Batman theme song.

The findings, outlined in two studies, are the first time that nonhuman mammals have demonstrated they can recognise rhythms and reproduce them vocally.

"Humans are sensitive to rhythms embedded in sequences of sounds, but we typically consider this skill to be part of processing for language and music, cognitive domains that we consider to be uniquely human," says Professor Heidi Harley, lead author of both studies.

"Clearly, aspects of those domains are available to other species."'

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

Razorcade
ModeratorRRS Core Member
Razorcade's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here fishy-fishy

Who said you can't teach an old dolphin new tricks?

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where's the science? They

Where's the science?
They trained 2 dumb animals to make a sound.

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
'The findings, outlined in

'The findings, outlined in two studies, are the first time that nonhuman mammals have demonstrated they can recognise rhythms and reproduce them vocally'

This is an indicator of language development and a precursor to the communications we, as humans, use. And as the dolphin is already classified as 'proto-sentient', we can study such effects to possibly learn of our own development.

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Language? Most animals and

Language? Most animals and mammals communicate with each other, it's a language of a sort.

This article seems more intended as a precursor for animal rights.

I've never had Dolphin steak before. Are they good eating?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
The interesting part about

The interesting part about this article is that it shows the ability for dolphins to not differentiate between rythmic patterns but to be able to vocalize various patterns in a manner in which they choose.

Did you know that each pod of dolphins and orcas etc..have their own language? In other words, a dolphin from one pod, does won't necessarily be able to communicate with a dolphin from another pod. It seems as if language is definitely not unique. This is interesting....indeed.
Thanks for posting.

And AiiA, be nice. Sticking out tongue

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
I knew about the

I knew about the communication structural differences between pods. And if is intruiging.

And AiiA dosen't have to be nice. I'll just respond when he actually has something worthwhile to say. Eye-wink

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesterspace wrote:I knew

Jesterspace wrote:
I knew about the communication structural differences between pods. And if is intruiging.

And AiiA dosen't have to be nice. I'll just respond when he actually has something worthwhile to say. Eye-wink

It's not about you.
I dont think the article is scientific.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like dolphins. When those

I like dolphins.
When those dolphins get their shit together, I will definately consider buying their album. Rock on. Laughing out loud

But, seriously, that was an awesome article! Really interesting. It always makes me grin when people find something cool like this. Thanks for sharin', Jesterspace!

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey.. I have the time to

Hey.. I have the time to scour the net when I'm waiting for calls. Not a problem. It might lead nowhere in regards to 'Science'.. but it might. And, IMNSHO, failure to investigate ANY anomaly or unexpected finding is a crime to the cause of true science.

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is an anomaly. A

It is an anomaly. A presupposed notion was that only humans had the capability to utilize sound communication in certain manners. Now there is evidence that this might not be the case. It's almost the duty of science to investigate using proper application of the scientific method. And it might lead nowhere. Or it might lead to a new understanding of how the brain processes communication. Without testing it, we'll never know. A lot of scientific investigation only proves the impossibilities (the Duke University studies of ESP as an example). But the studies DID clarify information. Science, when pigeonholed, misses potential avenues.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
In a related study,

In a related study, elephants have been shown to be "self" aware, another "human-only" attribute. http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/061030_elephant_mirror.html

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote:Jesterspace

AiiA wrote:
Jesterspace wrote:

It's not about you.
I dont think the article is scientific.

He linked to an online article that highlighted some recent research. Try looking up the actual journal article if you're truly interested in specifics, it isn't difficult - and I'm glad you're interested in such details, few are.

You want science as far as dolphin cognition and "linguistics" go, start here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed

Enter something like "dolphin cognition" and be surprised by what you find.

This research is simply an extension of what has been known for quite some time, and it has valid implications with regard to understanding the evolution of human and mammalian communication, language and cognition.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

SilkyShrew
Rational VIP!
SilkyShrew's picture
User is offlineOffline
actually, being able to

actually, being able to mimic the song is pretty cool and unsurprising and varifies (as Y#5 said) what has been previously known. What is unique about dolphins, though, is their cognitive functioning and ability to adapt their skills to different situations. Other animals are capeable and do mimic music, but they don't have the ability to apply the same cognitive approach to things as dolphins do, nor can they adapt as well to new sounds and information or environments (such as different cues designed to produce a new response). It has long been a practice to teach different animals to perform music, but scientific tests on it aren't common. I hvae a cat that took over this toy that used to be my daughter's - it is a little people bus that plays the song "wheels on the bus" - the cat will push the bus so that it plays the song, and afterwards the cat will meow as if she's trying to mimic it. Many animals can attempt to mimic other vocalizations as well, from dogs that seem to say "mama" and "hello" at the cue of their owners to seals being taught to honk horns to a basic tune. Combining this with the ability to create meaning for new things, and adapt linguistically (as in the dolphin's ability to adapt their newly learned skills and teach them to other dolphins) is a more human like tendency, and is not as common in other animals.

Anyways, I'm rambling ... thanks for the links, guys.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
SilkyShrew wrote:I hvae a

SilkyShrew wrote:
I hvae a cat that took over this toy that used to be my daughter's - it is a little people bus that plays the song "wheels on the bus" - the cat will push the bus so that it plays the song, and afterwards the cat will meow as if she's trying to mimic it.

That. Is. The. Most. Adorable. Thing. EVER.
Thanks for sharing that story, it made me smile. And also a little sad for the perplexed cat who can't sing.... ROTF

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
None of my cats can sing

None of my cats can sing (although one desperately attempts it), but I notice a definite difference in their cattitude when I keep the radio station on classical music instead of oldies. They definitely do not like hard rock.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.