The best videos for or against evolution.

RationalDeist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The best videos for or against evolution.

I am asking you to bring forth the best videos you know of which best clarify either point of view.

FROM SAPIENT:

Here is an RSS feed you can subscribe to for proof of evolution videos.

Here's another easier way to view the rest of the playlist which includes over 100 videos proving evolution.

Here are two of mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbFerzjkz4&eurl=http://www.politicalcrossfire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93601&start=60

And heres the other one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504&eurl=http://www.politicalcrossfire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93880

Alright, the second one is more a joke...

Does anyone have one that summarizes the rest of the processes of evolution well?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm just an old fart, I

I'm just an old fart, I guess, but when I was your age, television was called books!

(Ten bonus points if anyone knows the slightly paraphrased reference.)

I don't pretend to call myself an expert on evolution, but it's a real puzzle to me how someone could get through even one book by Dawkins and not understand it enough to recognize its existence.  I know folks don't have time to actually learn things today.  They just want the summary in a nice video format.  Even so, I just don't know if the concept of evolution can be sufficiently explained in a youtube video.  It's kind of involved.

I'm not trying to rag on your question.  It's a reasonable thing to ask.  My answer to your question is that no matter how good a video is, I have my doubts as to the format's capability to truly explain evolution.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Here's a two hour one by Ken

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Two hours?!  Crike. I

Two hours?!  Crike.

I revise my previous comment.  One good college lecture would be enough.  I thought we were talking about five minute shit.

Now, I'm just the old fart who doesn't watch youtube because I'd rather read.  I'll go get my BB gun and sit on the porch to wait for some damn kids to walk through my yard.  It's a good distraction when I get tired of reading.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
What books are you reading

What books are you reading now?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
  A
 Volume 3, 1952-1999  
A History of the Twentieth Century: Volume 3, 1952-1999 by Martin Gilbert (Paperback - Nov 21, 2000)
20 Used & new from $5.95
3.6 out of 5 stars (7)

Books about atheism

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
4 books at once? 

4 books at once?  Impressive, I could only ever commit myself to a maximum of 2 if I really wanted to take it all in, lol

At the moment, I'm reading:

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors

Carl Sagan was great Smiling

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (Paperback) by Sagan (Author)

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just noticed that when

I just noticed that when the above picture was taken, it was only a national bestseller.

My copy has INTERnational bestseller at the top. woohoo!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm reading:

I'm reading:

A Scientist's Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution (P.S.)
Finding Darwin's God: A Scientist's Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution (P.S.) by Kenneth R. Miller (Paperback - April 3, 2007)
Buy new: $14.95 $10.17 54 Used & new from $6.12
Get it by Friday, Nov 23 if you order in the next 27 minutes and choose one-day shipping.
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

Then on my list:

The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism
Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism by Robert Pape (Paperback - Jul 25, 2006)
Buy new: $14.95 $10.17 href="http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0812973380/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1_cm_cr_acr_img?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1">4.3 out of 5 stars (41)

A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimens ion
Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimens ion by Michio Kaku (Paperback - Feb 1, 1995)
Buy new: $15.95 $10.85 127 Used & new from $2.89
Get it by Friday, Nov 23 if you order in the next 26 minutes and choose one-day shipping.
4.4 out of 5 stars (202)

Showing Top Results
« Previous|Page:1 2 |Next »
 An Introduction to the Basic Skills
Critical Thinking: An Introduction to the Basic Skills by William Hughes and Jonathan Lavery (Paperback - Aug 31, 2004)
Buy new: $39.95 $38.09 28 Used & new from $20.94
In Stock

It will take me a while to get through them all, I'm not a heavy reader.

I'm still up for suggestions.

[edit fixed format]

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I'm

Hambydammit wrote:

I'm just an old fart, I guess, but when I was your age, television was called books!

(Cranky old man voice)"When I was your age, we didn't have shoes. We wrapped our feet in newspapers. That's the way it was, and we liked it."

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
I haven't read a book in

I haven't read a book in about two years, aside from my Guitarist Grimoires... but those are about as much like a book as a keyboard is.

I'm more of a reader of articles online. Depending on the size (some are really long) I could take as much as 30 minutes to 3 days, most of them are insuficient in their information though.

Of course, I don't read just stuff on evolution. In fact, I read about one long articles worth of information on evolution a month. Most of the stuff I read is usually on the science of sound, COSM modelling, music (in general), and music theory. 

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Hambydammit

Brian37 wrote:
Hambydammit wrote:

(Cranky old man voice)"When I was your age, we didn't have shoes. We wrapped our feet in newspapers. That's the way it was, and we liked it."

When I was your age, we didn't even have a year for it.  We just called it "hard times".  In hard times, it was dark ALL the time.  The sun came up on a Wednesday I think.  And if yo' ass wasn't up early, you missed it!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luxury! When I were a lad

Luxury!
When I were a lad we used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle,........ if we were lucky!

Books about atheism

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Luxury!

Hambydammit wrote:

Luxury!
When I were a lad we used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle,........ if we were lucky!

A mere flesh wound!

When I was a little younger than that, every morning we would have to wake up at 10pm the night before, a full HOUR before we went to bed.  For breakfast we would have poison before walking to the mill in bare feet uphill on broken glass in the snow to work a 12 hour shift of back breaking manual labour for a wage of 8 cents a lifetime.  The weather was usually worse on the way home and also more steeply uphill.  We then had to dig holes in the back yard for 3 hours, after which time our father would beat us to a bloody pulp with the severed head of our mother.

Kids these days don't know the meaning of a fair day's wage for a fair day's work!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
And you try to tell that to

And you try to tell that to kids these days, they won't believe you!

Books about atheism

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep, pretty funny how the

Yep, pretty funny how the world has turned out.

Thanks to Cpt Pineapple for the link, I've seen bits and pieces of that Ken Miller lecture before, but never all of it all in one.

Now to contribute, and as I'm on a Carl Sagan kick at the moment, I present to you, Evolution: Carl Sagan Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZtRn1fst-g

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I'll go

Hambydammit wrote:
I'll go get my BB gun and sit on the porch to wait for some damn kids to walk through my yard.

[mode=stealth][action] move away from lawn [/action][/mode]

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

The_Fragile
The_Fragile's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: I'm

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'm reading:

A Scientist's Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution (P.S.)  
Finding Darwin's God: A Scientist's Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution (P.S.) by Kenneth R. Miller (Paperback - April 3, 2007)
Buy new: $14.95 $10.17 54 Used & new from $6.12
Get it by Friday, Nov 23 if you order in the next 27 minutes and choose one-day shipping.

Then on my list:

The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism  
Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism by Robert Pape (Paperback - Jul 25, 2006)
Buy new: $14.95 $10.17 href="http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0812973380/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1_cm_cr_acr_img?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1">4.3 out of 5 stars (41)

A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimens ion  
Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimens ion by Michio Kaku (Paperback - Feb 1, 1995)
Buy new: $15.95 $10.85 127 Used & new from $2.89
Get it by Friday, Nov 23 if you order in the next 26 minutes and choose one-day shipping.
4.4 out of 5 stars (202)

Showing Top Results
« Previous|Page:1 2 |Next »

An Introduction to the Basic Skills  
Critical Thinking: An Introduction to the Basic Skills by William Hughes and Jonathan Lavery (Paperback - Aug 31, 2004)
Buy new: $39.95 $38.09 28 Used & new from $20.94
In Stock

It will take me a while to get through them all, I'm not a heavy reader.

I'm still up for suggestions.

[edit fixed format]

Pineapple your my new best freind. I've been looking for a book on introduction to critical thinking. Thanks! 

I hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
living inside of me
to murder everything.
I hope they cannot see
I am the great destroyer.

RationalDeist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

That was a really good video. I enjoyed it.

But let me just point out that Ken Miller is a Roman Catholic! 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
RationalDeist

RationalDeist wrote:

That was a really good video. I enjoyed it.

But let me just point out that Ken Miller is a Roman Catholic!

Yes he is, you should read his book (I linked to it in another post).  

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes indeed, it was a great

Yes indeed, it was a great link.

I've just finished Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors now.  I think more books on evolution need the phrases "Let's fuck" and "Fuck you" in them, it really brings the subject to life lol

RedisSupreme
RedisSupreme's picture
User is offlineOffline
cdk makes some pretty good

cdk makes some pretty good videos 

http://www.youtube.com/user/cdk007