Church would change how you thought!

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline

YOU RESPOND:

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Nov 21 2006 1:35 AM

you all need some help and maybe some god...it would be nice of you all not to down god cause do people who believe in god go are posting things that says ...not believe in god...will fix that!
sorry but i think you all need to go to chuch....it would change how you thought!
k?
thanks!
*Melissa*

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Which church? Which god? I

Which church?
Which god?
I have been inside of more churches than fast food restaurants.

I'm sure that your church is a nice church, in a nice place, with nice people. Those people in the higher echelon of your church have nice intentions with the money they give to missions and charities all in the name of service to your god. They don't really know until it's too late whether or not the money went to the original purpose.

However, I would venture to say that your church is not every church. After all, Ted Haggard was a nice guy. right? Pat Robertson has a big church too. He's a nice man. Isn't he? Jerry Falwell, Jim Baker, and Kent Hovind all have brought such admirable qualities to the church. Haven't they?

You see? In my opinion(and several others), church is the ultimate mask that covers the human animal. Each of us has pieces of our mind that don't fit right in a church setting. Church allows us to feel bad about ourselves and call it virtuous. Church gives us the comfort of being with other 'sinners' rather than facing the 'sin' and approaching it rationally.

I've answered. Now answer me this:
Is going to church the only thing that makes a person good?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been to church. Coming

I've been to church. Coming from a devoutly catholic family, church is a pretty hard thing to avoid. I know you'll find this hard to believe; but it actually had the opposite effect. I didn't see a congregation of blessed people basking in the light of god. I saw a group of people who were alive but not living, fixated on their own eventual demise. Shame, death obsession, alot of bad singing and no god.

What we all really need is to start asking serious questions of the people who are notch higher than us in our supposedly casteless society. Especially our religious leaders. If you did that.....it would change how you thought!

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

The_Fragile
The_Fragile's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can barely make head or

I can barely make head or tails of this message. I guess your encourging us to go to chruch? Why? So I can have somebody else tell me how the view and interpret the bible? No thanks. I'll read it myself.

I hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
living inside of me
to murder everything.
I hope they cannot see
I am the great destroyer.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another prime example of

Another prime example of someone who cannot write intelligibly.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
I have never been inside the

I have never been inside the filthy Abrahamic places of worship.

Razorcade
ModeratorRRS Core Member
Razorcade's picture
User is offlineOffline
We love Shane too!!!

Melissa loves Shane wrote:
you all need some help and maybe some god...it would be nice of you all not to down god cause do people who believe in god go are posting things that says ...not believe in god...will fix that!
sorry but i think you all need to go to chuch....it would change how you thought!
k?

Yes, we do need help, but are you willing to help us show theists how irrational they sound?

Some god? Which one? Zeus, Odin, Yahweh?

When we talk about fixing your beliefs, what we mean is that we are trying to show you the things that you have been taught are (1)merely beliefs, thousands of years old, (2)irrational, (3)passed down from parent to child, (4)contradictory, especially biblical passages and (5)usually are not supported by any evidence.
Btw, I think the majority of atheists grew up religious, have been to a place of worship and it has changed us for the better because...
WE CAN THINK FOR OURSELVES NOW.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Exactly, most of us have

Exactly, most of us have been to church - and virtually all of us have if you include for weddings, funerals, etc. Do you know how many people credit reading the Bible for their atheism? Lets be honest - how many Christians would come to an atheist event or read a book promoting atheism?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Christen
Christen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Church did change the way I

Church did change the way I think and that's why I'm an atheist.

The last time I went to church, I couldn't help but notice how morbid and negative everything was. The preacher was conveying god's hatred of homosexuals with the lovely story of sodom and gomorrah, the ensemble looked like someone just beat them, the hymnals were all about blood, sacrifice, thorns and how lost I used to be. Um, no thanks. I'll sleep in.

Atheistsareblind
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
I've been to church. Coming from a devoutly catholic family, church is a pretty hard thing to avoid.

No wonder you don't believe in Christianity! Catholics try and earn their way into heaven and pray to Mary which are two big concepts that are biblically false.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Many of us have been to

Many of us have been to other irrational churches too.

Razorcade
ModeratorRRS Core Member
Razorcade's picture
User is offlineOffline
Babble in the Bible

Atheistsareblind wrote:

No wonder you don't believe in Christianity! Catholics try and earn their way into heaven and pray to Mary which are two big concepts that are biblically false.

There is no reason to say 'biblically false', you're just repeating yourself. If you just say that the 'two big concepts are biblical', we will understand that to mean 'false'.

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
Razorcade

Razorcade wrote:
Atheistsareblind wrote:

There is no reason to say 'biblically false', you're just repeating yourself. If you just say that the 'two big concepts are biblical', we will understand that to mean 'false'.

Ha! Good one.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Quote:you all need some help

Quote:
you all need some help and maybe some god

More condescending behavior from a know-it-all christian.

Quote:
...it would be nice of you all not to down god cause do people who believe in god go are posting things that says ...not believe in god...will fix that!

I honestly don't know what this jibberish means. Something about not putting god down (which is not possible since we lack the belief of a god). Rational Response Squad aims to assist people out of their mind crutch. Pretty nice of them if you ask me.

Quote:

I'm not going to chuch or church because it's full of hypocrites, look at Ted Haggard. (I know there's many more, but this guy had a hotline to the president. Pretty big time hypocrite).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:
YOU RESPOND:

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Nov 21 2006 1:35 AM

k?
thanks!
*Melissa*

No thanks, I was once indoctrinated, I outgrew it. I dont need a magical threat to be good. If you do, by all means do, we dont need more violence, crime or war. You need a daddy to tell you what to do, I dont. I dont need a parent at my age.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Melissa wrote:you all need

Melissa wrote:
you all need some help and maybe some god...

No.

Melissa wrote:

it would be nice of you all not to down god cause do people who believe in god go are posting things that says ...not believe in god...will fix that!

Was that English?

The OED online

Melissa wrote:

The word is "church." There's an R in there.

And I grew up in one, thanks all the same. I was only too happy to leave it alone.

In the future, it might help if you don't patronize people. Try to have a little more of a knowledgeable perspective before you go telling others what they need to do.

Melissa wrote:

k?
thanks!
*Melissa*

No.

So there.

--neon

User is offlineOffline
Has Melissa received a link

Has Melissa received a link to this page yet?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
MarthaSplatterhead wrote:Has

MarthaSplatterhead wrote:

Not sure, feel free to send it.

User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:
MarthaSplatterhead wrote:

Not sure, feel free to send it.

Ok I did. Now let's see if she wants to defend her rant...

User is offlineOffline
Sapient

didn't mean to post twice

atheistvoices
User is offlineOffline
Church? lol

It was church and reading the bible that made me become an atheist. The more you read it, the more that it shows itself to be a complete work of fiction. God did not create man in his image, Man created god in his image!

For those of you that claim to not have evolved from a more primitive life form, all I can say is "be patient".