Intelligent Design Disclaimer for Dr. Michael Behe

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Intelligent Design Disclaimer for Dr. Michael Behe

I thought you guys might find this funny. As many of you probably know Michael Behe is one of the leading experts...hahaha I can't even say that ...He is this proffessor who is very vocal about his beliefs in intelligent design ect. Well the college he teaches at made him put an official disclaimer on his page. I thought you might find this funny.

http://www.lehigh.edu/~inbios/faculty/behe.html

"Official Disclaimer
My ideas about irreducible complexity and intelligent design are entirely my own. They certainly are not in any sense endorsed by either Lehigh University in general or the Department of Biological Sciences in particular. In fact, most of my colleagues in the Department strongly disagree with them."

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I wonder how much pressure

I wonder how much pressure that had to bring to make him do it.

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is another disclaimer

There is another disclaimer about him that the college itself has put up talking about how Behe is not representative of the university's science department. I'd post the link, but I am at work right now. I'll put it up if I can find it when I get off.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
that's just too hilarious.

that's just too hilarious.

catbread009
catbread009's picture
User is offlineOffline
Behe is such a joke. I saw

Behe is such a joke. I saw him on CSPAN while watching booktv. He had the presenter under his thumb and she was praising him and telling the crowd how great he was. His books are basically "i can't see how this could happen therefore it must be god."

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
catbread009 wrote: Behe is

catbread009 wrote:

Behe is such a joke. I saw him on CSPAN while watching booktv. He had the presenter under his thumb and she was praising him and telling the crowd how great he was. His books are basically "i can't see how this could happen therefore it must be god."

Which is like saying "We figured out all kinds of shit so there must not be a god". 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
catbread009 wrote:

Which is like saying "We figured out all kinds of shit so there must not be a god". 

Straw-man. Two point penalty.

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: wavefreak

magilum wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
catbread009 wrote:

Straw-man. Two point penalty.

I agree it was a straw-man, but I've had a thought from listening to debates and debating myself with theists. I think instead of just "invoking" the straw-man defense, we should make an effort of explaining how something is a straw-man. If we do not and there are people that are not as familiar with argumentation, then it will seem like we are being inflexible as well, simply calling something a straw-man and ignoring the argument. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ken Miller>>>>>>>>>>>

Ken Miller>>>>>>>>>>> Michael Behe

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I think wavefreak knows, but

I think wavefreak knows, but for the benefit of anyone not sure what I meant by "straw-man" I'll explain it. A straw-man is an easily defeated or self-evidently absurd misrepresentation of an opposing viewpoint. If the atheist position was simply, "We know some stuff, therefore we're certain this excludes a possible deity," the premise would seem self-refuting. However, that is not the atheist position: neither in practice nor by definition.