The cancer lady. [locked]

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
The cancer lady. [locked]

Was it just me or was that lady in the audience who kept pushing Kirk to answer her question a complete moron? He was trying to answer her, and she kept interrupting him and accusing him of avoiding the question which he wasn't doing. What a retard. Why did God allow cancer? The answer to that question is the same answer to why God allows any and all suffering to befall us. And Kirk was trying to answer that broader question, when he kept being very rudely interrupted. God didn't create suffering. He didn't create cancer. He created people with free will, and those people's decisions have caused all the evil in the world, including cancer.

The bible says that the world itself was condemned because of man's sin.

Granted that was a Christian-biblical answer to the question, but that is what was being asked. That question was being asked assuming God was real and Christianity was real. If that is true, then the bible must be the source of the answer to that question.

One angel originally created evil. Then one man recreated it. Evil is nothing more than disobedience to God. For disobedience to God to exist there must be some created thing with the ability to choose whether or not to obey God. That is why sin did not exist prior to the creation of angels. God did not make the angel sin, nor did he make the man sin. He only told them what to do and gave them the free will to obey or not. They chose to not obey. They have suffered the consequences.

That just irked me a little. And then I think I saw somewhere on this website bragging about the fact that Kirk couldn't even answer an audience member's question. Please.....Maybe if she would've shut up long enough for him to answer he could have.

"For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1Cor 1:18

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: Why

Musicdude wrote:

Why doesn't God cure everyone from this? I don't know. My grandmother died from cancer about a year ago, and she had prayed for healing. God's purpose is not to heal all the sick. That was not Jesus' purpose either. The only time Jesus healed anyone, was to get their attention and to establish to them that he was really the son of God. To gain credibility with them, so that when He told them that He could forgive their sins, they would believe Him.

If God wanted to heal the world, He could snap His fingers and instantly do so. I suspect the reason He sometimes heals people today is the same reason Jesus healed them back then. There are countless people that my father in law has told about his miracle. And to many it has brought encouragement and faith in God. To some even it has brought salvation. Because he gave God all the glory for that, and did not give any of it to the doctors, or to himself, or anyone else. That way it was something God could use to reach others. Maybe my grandma wouldn't have given God the glory. Or maybe there is some other reason I am unaware of. I know that my grandma was pretty sick and tired, and old. And now she is young and well and much happier. So would it really have been better for God to heal her, so she could live another few years in a tired old body? Probably not. The fact that God lets some people die is not a negative thing for Christians. Death is nothing to be afraid of. It is going home. If my death can result in one person coming to know Jesus, then I hope God will take it. Because our temporal life is very short, but eternity is a very long time.

Okay.  Then this argument is no longer valid as evidence of the power of faith.

Musicdude wrote:

I've known people who were healed of cancer because of their faith (one example is my future father-in-law, but he's not even remotely the only one I know of) Has evolution cause a cure for cancer to be found yet?

Please refrain from future use of anecdotal non-evidence to support your claim of being faithful to god can accomplish. 

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude

Musicdude wrote:
ObnoxiousBroad wrote:
Musicdude wrote:
ObnoxiousBroad wrote:
Musicdude wrote:

Quit denying your own conscience. Admit guilt. Admit the fact that you deserve punishment. And then let God save you from that punishment, and take it away because of His grace, not becuase anything you do could earn forgiveness.

Guilt for what? Admit deserving punishment for what? For not believing the unbelievable? For independent thought? Your god means as much to me as Lord Xenu does; that is, none whatsoever.

For constantly doing what you know is wrong, whether a book tells you it is wrong or not.

What, exactly are you talking about? What am I constantly doing that I "know is wrong" - and wrong according to whom? Please remember that I do not subscribe to your belief system.

Have you not been listening to me at all? Your consciense. You are doing what you know is wrong, according to you. Everyone does this. So do I.

Musicdude you are talking right out of your ass.

So my conscience is telling me that I'm doing something wrong? You know my conscience? How can you be sure that it even exists and certainly how can you be sure what it may or may not be telling me? And which things is it telling me that I'm doing wrong?

You seem to know quite a bit that you have no way to back up with reason. Back it up Musicdude, your personal opinion and the ramblings of the bible are not proof. No matter how much you seem to wish that they were.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish

marcusfish wrote:

Musicdude wrote:
It contains the lineage of the tribes of israel. Is that all false too? It contains records of israel's kings throughout history. Is that false?

Neat, so you believe that any book which has even a hint of real world places or people is true?

Whether or not there are names of people and places in that book that are real in no way makes the supernatural claims any more plausible. But you already know this, you just keep restating this kind of nonsense because you seem to want to believe it so badly. Which, for the record, also doesn't make the supernatural claims in the bible any more plausible.  

I was only refuting the very foolish claim that Jesus Christ did not exist as a human.

And no, there is no reason to think the historical facts in the bible are false, from a logical perspective. You are thinking in a 2007 sense. Fictional books were not written 2000 years ago. Writing a book at all was such a painstaking process, it had to be quite important material in order to make it to parchment, or papyrus or whatever. And for there to be that many copies back then, it had to be extremely important.

"For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1Cor 1:18

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude

Musicdude wrote:
zarathustra wrote:

Statistically speaking, the chances that jesus is real are nil.

I don't believe in chance. Eye-wink

Really. Seems that's what you were operating on a few posts back:

Quote:
So you're essentially shouting "hey, move out of the way! A bus is going to hit you after you die!"

What you don't realize is that while you're busy shouting at me about the jesus bus, the Islamic Express or the Hindu Humvee could be about to plow into you.

Musicdude wrote:
I'll take my chances.

Are we having trouble making up our mind?

Musicdude wrote:

It contains the lineage of the tribes of israel. Is that all false too? It contains records of israel's kings throughout history. Is that false?

What do we compare that against for accuracy? Can't I claim the Iliad to be historical for recording the Trojan War?

Musicdude wrote:
There is no competition for the bible to lose, not with what I'm arguing.

Sure. When you're arguing "christianity is right no matter what! Nope! Nope! Nope!", the bible tends to play quite well.

Musicdude wrote:
The qu'ran does not deny the existence of Jesus Christ, nor does the gita, nor does confucius' analects. They may deny that Christ was the son of God, but again, I'm not defending the bible's opinions in this argument, only it's historical facts.

Ah, but you were arguing from "longevity" and "circulation" in favor of the bible. The texts I cited were merely to show you that such an argument if worthless-- and had nothing to do with the existence of christ. Please try to stay focused.

Musicdude wrote:
I've known people who were healed of cancer because of their faith (one example is my future father-in-law, but he's not even remotely the only one I know of) Has evolution cause a cure for cancer to be found yet?

Do you know any people who died of cancer despite their faith? Unless every last person who has "faith" gets healed of cancer, I'm not interested.

Musicdude wrote:
For those other living things there is not meaning of life.

Quite right. And since we are just another species of living things (have you read that science book yet?), there is no meaning of life for us either.

Musicdude wrote:
A good indication that you have no clue about why I believe God created humanity.

I'm yet to see a good indication that you have a clue about what you believe. You keep going back and forth: One moment you tacitly acknowledge that an omniscient god would have known in advance how we would have turned out, yet creates us anyway, then punishes us for turning out the way he knew we would turn out. Then you eventually you're back to arguing that we brought this on ourselves, and god had nothing to do with it. Take a stand for once and stay there.

Musicdude wrote:
Those things you mentioned are some (not all) of the results of creation, not the reason for creation.

Whatever the reason, the story ends with a bunch of people running around god's throne in heaven. god could have achieved that same end result without consigning others to eternal suffering; but god chose not to. Whatever god's reasons are, they suck.

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:
Nobody mentioned earthquakes or bodies rising from the graves when Julius Caesar died. If such things happened when jesus died (even if he was a carpenter), you'd think more people would write about it than the people who really wanted to make him out to be divine.

The one's who believed it was by the power of God, did write this stuff down, and it still lives on in writing. The one's who thought he got his power from satan, didn't want to perpetuate his teachings or his work, so they obviously would have no desire to record and preserve this information. On the contrary they had strong motivation to destroy such writings, and keep them from lasting as long as they did. But they were unsucessful, because God didn't want his word to be silenced by men.

Once again I was not talking about jesus. I was talking about the earthquakes and bodies rising from the dead. Those would be remarkable events in and of themselves, and would warrant being recorded. Please try to stay focused.

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:
Well maybe not real carpenters. But mythical figures with supposedly divine powers get books written about them all the time.
Not back then, they didn't.

Yes, back then, they did.

Musicdude wrote:
Especially when most everyone in his time thought he was a kook, and killed him for blaspheming the god they did believe in. The ones with the power and wherewithall to document his ministry, had no desire to do so.

Nothing new. That motif had already been used multiple times. The jesus story plays like a bad cover song.

Anyway, I'm really tired of arguing about this.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish

marcusfish wrote:
Musicdude wrote:
ObnoxiousBroad wrote:
Musicdude wrote:
ObnoxiousBroad wrote:
Musicdude wrote:

Quit denying your own conscience. Admit guilt. Admit the fact that you deserve punishment. And then let God save you from that punishment, and take it away because of His grace, not becuase anything you do could earn forgiveness.

Guilt for what? Admit deserving punishment for what? For not believing the unbelievable? For independent thought? Your god means as much to me as Lord Xenu does; that is, none whatsoever.

For constantly doing what you know is wrong, whether a book tells you it is wrong or not.

What, exactly are you talking about? What am I constantly doing that I "know is wrong" - and wrong according to whom? Please remember that I do not subscribe to your belief system.

Have you not been listening to me at all? Your consciense. You are doing what you know is wrong, according to you. Everyone does this. So do I.

Musicdude you are talking right out of your ass.

So my conscience is telling me that I'm doing something wrong? You know my conscience? How can you be sure that it even exists and certainly how can you be sure what it may or may not be telling me? And which things is it telling me that I'm doing wrong?

You seem to know quite a bit that you have no way to back up with reason. Back it up Musicdude, your personal opinion and the ramblings of the bible are not proof. No matter how much you seem to wish that they were.

You're right I don't know that about you. I do know it about me, and most of my family and friends, Christian and other.

So are you denying it? Are you saying that you don't ever do things that you think are wrong? You don't ever violate your own conscience (or set of morals if you prefer)?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: jcgadfly

Musicdude wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:
Musicdude wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:
I'm guessing the pictures will still exist. Even for someone like Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great (before Jesus) we have their own writings, writings of their enemies, contemporary statues, coins, etc.

Julius Ceasar was the ruler of the largest nation that has ever existed. Jesus was a carpenter.

The fact that we have any documentation of his life at all is a testament to the impact that he had on those who followed him. Because most carpenters that lived back then did not have books written about them which lasted 2,000 years and counting.

Where is the documentation of Jesus' life?

The earliest stuff was from Paul (20 yrs after Jesus allegedly died) and he wrote about an entirely different christ concept than the Jesus desribed in the gospels (which were written 20+ years after Paul's stuff)

I do not agree that the Jesus Paul described was in any way different than the Jesus described in the gospels. Please explain how it was different.

I don't claim to have official proof as of yet - this is just my opinion based on my readings.

Paul's Christ seems to be more of a mystical being to me with his crucifixion and resurrection happening on the spiritual plane rather than the physical. To me, the gospels were written to provide a human character for Paul's Christ concept because, like so many here, people needed something to differentiate christ from all the other Sky-daddies the'd heard about.

Paul's Christ, in my view, is also more of an interposing character coming between man and God where the Gospels describe a Jesus who is more of a bridge between God and man 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: You are

Musicdude wrote:
You are thinking in a 2007 sense. Fictional books were not written 2000 years ago. Writing a book at all was such a painstaking process, it had to be quite important material in order to make it to parchment, or papyrus or whatever. And for there to be that many copies back then, it had to be extremely important.

I couldn't say why the bible was originally written. Who knows. It was surely very important so someone, granted. 

This proves what? That someone thought it was important enough to write it? Ok. And?

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: So are you

Musicdude wrote:
So are you denying it? Are you saying that you don't ever do things that you think are wrong? You don't ever violate your own conscience (or set of morals if you prefer)?

No, I am not trying to deny that I have done things that I do not think should have been done.

For the love of all that is make believe what is your point dude?!!? 

It's like talking to a politician with you. You change your own argument as frequently as you change the support for it.  

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote:

Musicdude wrote:
You are thinking in a 2007 sense. Fictional books were not written 2000 years ago.

THis is not true.

Homer's 'Odyssey' was written in the 8th or 7th century B.C., and it is a work of fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer 

(Just so you know, when you make absolute claims they will be refuted.)

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude

Musicdude wrote:
ObnoxiousBroad wrote:
Musicdude wrote:
ObnoxiousBroad wrote:
Musicdude wrote:

My conscience is clear - I don't do things I know are wrong "according to me." Perhaps some things I do are "wrong" according to you, but that's wholly irrelevant to me or my morals and ethics.

I'm wondering why we don't live in some sort of Terminator-esque anarchic society where crime runs rampant, if "everyone" does what they "know is wrong" all the time. Or is it your intent to claim that the only thing keeping us from such widespread criminality is people's belief in Jesus?

Invisible friends are for children and psychopaths.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra

zarathustra wrote:

Really. Seems that's what you were operating on a few posts back:

Are we having trouble making up our mind?

Are you serious? It was a figure of speech.

Quote:
What do we compare that against for accuracy? Can't I claim the Iliad to be historical for recording the Trojan War?
Historically, sure. Claim away.  

Quote:
Sure. When you're arguing "christianity is right no matter what! Nope! Nope! Nope!", the bible tends to play quite well.
?

Quote:
Ah, but you were arguing from "longevity" and "circulation" in favor of the bible. The texts I cited were merely to show you that such an argument if worthless-- and had nothing to do with the existence of christ. Please try to stay focused.
No, I was arguing about historical content only, not the supernatural. And I would make the same statement about the qu'ran. You stay focused. If the qu'ran listed the lineage of Ishmael, I would not doubt it's accuracy. If it claimed that Ishmael inheritted the promise of abraham, I would disagree. 

Quote:
Do you know any people who died of cancer despite their faith? Unless every last person who has "faith" gets healed of cancer, I'm not interested.
Your interest has no bearing on the reality of the bible's claims. You assume that God's will is for total human physical wellness, and the bible makes no such claim. You assume He has failed in His goal, when that was never His goal to begin with.

Quote:
Quite right. And since we are just another species of living things (have you read that science book yet?), there is no meaning of life for us either.
Wrong. We were created for a purpose. Have you read your bible yet? Animals were created for a purpose too, but having no conscience or souls, they will always be unaware of that purpose, but they fulfill that purpose even though unaware.

Quote:
I'm yet to see a good indication that you have a clue about what you believe. You keep going back and forth: One moment you tacitly acknowledge that an omniscient god would have known in advance how we would have turned out, yet creates us anyway, then punishes us for turning out the way he knew we would turn out. Then you eventually you're back to arguing that we brought this on ourselves, and god had nothing to do with it. Take a stand for once and stay there.
I quoted a link many pages back that was a good basic biblical explanation of why I believe God created mankind. I don't think anyone bothered to read it.

Quote:
Whatever the reason, the story ends with a bunch of people running around god's throne in heaven.

As a reward for accomplishing the real goal for which he created them. 

Quote:
god could have achieved that same end result without consigning others to eternal suffering; but god chose not to. Whatever god's reasons are, they suck.
God condemned no one. They condemned themselves, by their own free choices.

Quote:
Once again I was not talking about jesus. I was talking about the earthquakes and bodies rising from the dead. Those would be remarkable events in and of themselves, and would warrant being recorded. Please try to stay focused.
But to admit that those things happened would be to admit that Jesus made them happen. A theory that was not popular and they did not want to perpetuate.

Quote:
Yes, back then, they did.
Give one example. I'm all ears. Was Jesus the only nutcase alive 2000 years ago? How come there is no record of any of the others? Because they were thought to be just that, crazy, and not worthy of noting by the authorities who had the wherewithall to record their deeds.

Quote:
Nothing new. That motif had already been used multiple times. The jesus story plays like a bad cover song.
Oh, I guess that makes it false then. I'm a traditionalist. The newness of an idea gives it no extra merit with me.

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:

Oh, I guess that makes it false then.

Well, it certainly doesn't do much to support your theory that Jesus is any less a mythical hero-god than his predecessors.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude:"Oh, I guess that

Musicdude:"Oh, I guess that makes it false then. I'm a traditionalist. The newness of an idea gives it no extra merit with me"

Old ideas hold no merit with me either - that's the argument from antiquity (If it's old, it must be good).

The savior god motif has been used multiple times. You'd probably poo-poo Dionysus, Krishna, Osiris, Horus, Mithra, et al. (and you should). When the same story is told with Jesus as the main character, you accept it uncritically. Why is that? 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

Musicdude:"Oh, I guess that makes it false then. I'm a traditionalist. The newness of an idea gives it no extra merit with me"

Old ideas hold no merit with me either - that's the argument from antiquity (If it's old, it must be good).

I evaluate each idea for what it is. I do not let it's newness or antiquity affect my judgement of it.

Quote:
The savior god motif has been used multiple times. You'd probably poo-poo Dionysus, Krishna, Osiris, Horus, Mithra, et al. (and you should). When the same story is told with Jesus as the main character, you accept it uncritically. Why is that? 
Because Jesus was real. I don't accept anything uncritically. I have analyzed the claims of the bible and studied that subject deeper than anything else in life. And everytime I learn of a new biblical doctrine I compare it to the others I already have believed and compare it to what I already know about God before believing it. Am I an expert? By no means. But I am more of an expert on the bible than any other area I've studied. Why did I accept it all by faith originally? Because God convinced me. How did He convince me? I don't know. Why do I still believe it after all these years? Because He has proven it to me in my personal experience. He has answered my prayers. He's given me everything I need and just about everything I want. There have been too many time in my life that I have asked God (in my thoughts only) to give me a sign, when I needed to make a critical decision, and I asked him to show me in a specific way that was far too unlikely to be attributed to coincidence. And every time it has been different, and every time equally unlikely, and everytime it has happened. I can't deny my own experience. Now does that carry any weight with you? Of course not, and I wouldn't expect it to. But it carries a ton of weight with me. That is why I still believe and will continue to.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote:

Musicdude wrote:
Because Jesus was real.
Prove it.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote:Musicdude

AiiA wrote:
Prove it.

I can't yet. But God Himself will prove it to you, eventually.  

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:
Historically, sure. Claim away.

Unless you wish to clarify, the bible is no more "substantiated" than the Iliad (which predates the jesus myth). Either start worshipping zeus or stop claiming that the bible is substantiated.

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:
No, I was arguing about historical content only, not the supernatural. And I would make the same statement about eh qu'ran. You stay focused.

No, you were arguing from "longevity" and "circulation" in favor of the bible. And where did I make any allusion to the supernatural?

Go look up the definition of "focus ".

Musicdude wrote:
You're interest has no bearing on the reality of the bible's claims.

Neither does the survival rate from cancer. So don't bring it up.

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:
Wrong. We were created for a purpose. Have you read your bible yet?

Yes. Then I threw it away.

Musicdude wrote:
Animals were created for a purpose too, but having no conscience or souls, they will always be unaware of that purpose, but they fulfill that purpose even though unaware.

Observe how similar the DNA of humans is to mice (never mind chimpanzees for the moment). Patterns of fairness are well-documented in the behavior of lower animals. Provide evidence as overwhelming as that for a soul or that conscience is something other than biological before making your claims.

Musicdude wrote:
I quoted a link many pages back that was a good basic biblical explanation of why I believe God created mankind. I don't think anyone bothered to read it.

Many people have now stated the paradox that an omniscient god would know in advance how we would turn out. You haven't bothered to get beyond that.

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:
Whatever the reason, the story ends with a bunch of people running around god's throne in heaven.

As a reward for accomplishing the real goal for which he created them.

The goal of running around his throne?

Musicdude wrote:
God condemned no one. They condemned themselves, by their own free choices.

Can't get beyond that paradox, can you?

Musicdude wrote:
But to admit that those things happened would be to admit that Jesus made them happen.

No...earthquakes happen, jesus or no jesus. People tend to write about them when they happen.

Musicdude wrote:
Quote:
Oh, I guess that makes it false then.

It certainly makes it less credible.

Anyway, I'm really tired of arguing about this

πππ†
π†††

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: AiiA

Musicdude wrote:

AiiA wrote:
Prove it.

I can't yet. But God Himself will prove it to you, eventually.

Prove there's a god.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Musicdude

AiiA wrote:
Musicdude wrote:

AiiA wrote:
Prove it.

Prove there's a god.

I don't have to. He will prove Himself to you. It is not my purpose to prove God to you. You aren't saved by proof, but by faith.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline

Musicdude wrote:
AiiA wrote:
Musicdude wrote:

AiiA wrote:
Prove it.

Prove there's a god.

I don't have to. He will prove Himself to you.

How would you know that?
Quote:
It is not my purpose to prove God to you.
Then why are you here?
Quote:
You aren't saved by proof, but by faith.
Religious faith? What is religious faith?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Unless

zarathustra wrote:

Unless you wish to clarify, the bible is no more "substantiated" than the Iliad (which predates the jesus myth). Either start worshipping zeus or stop claiming that the bible is substantiated.

Did the illiad predate the book of genesis, which was written my moses? Because wasn't the illiad a Roman faith, and Rome did not exist back then if I remember correctly. You are only referring to the new testament which is only 2,000 years old. But I don't seperate it from the old testament which is much much older. Jesus was prophesied in Genesis. God told Adam and eve about Him, right after the first sin occured.  

Quote:
No, you were arguing from "longevity" and "circulation" in favor of the bible. And where did I make any allusion to the supernatural?
I guess I misread it. My apologies.

Quote:
Good for you. The mark of a truly objective, free-thinking individual, throwing away any literature that disagrees with his view of the world.

Quote:
Observe how similar the DNA of humans is to mice (never mind chimpanzees for the moment). Patterns of fairness are well-documented in the behavior of lower animals. Provide evidence as overwhelming as that for a soul or that conscience is something other than biological before making your claims.
If you cannot see a difference between humanity and every other species on this earth, you are more deluded than I imagined. The fact that we are having this conversation is proof enough. It is not a result of evolution. We have always had that ability to be moral and rational people, as far back as recorded human history goes we have been intelligent people. Some of the most intelligent people who have ever lived, lived a long, long time ago, and we still draw from their timeless wisdom. That alone is proof that we are not evolving, but devolving as a species. Technology may be evolving but human intelligence is not.

Quote:
Many people have now stated the paradox that an omniscient god would know in advance how we would turn out. You haven't bothered to get beyond that.
I do not consider that a paradox. I have already explained why.

Quote:
The goal of running around his throne?
I'm not even going to answer that. Re-read my statement and ask a legitimate question if you want a reply.

Quote:
I see no paradox. From my perspective it is the reason and purpose are clear, and it is not only fair, but extremely gracious on God's part. The fact that you will not consider my perspective, or can't, is why you keep seeing a paradox.

Quote:
No...earthquakes happen, jesus or no jesus. People tend to write about them when they happen.
So every earthquake since the beginning of recorded human history has been recorded? And the fact that no one recorded this one, must mean that it didn't happen?

Quote:

I don't see how it has any affect on it's credibility for the better or worse.

Quote:
Then stop.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: How would you

AiiA wrote:
How would you know that?

Because I have been told by a higher authority, and I trust Him.

Quote:
Then why are you here?

Originally to disprove evolution and the big shabaam.

Quote:

There is no such thing as "religious faith." There is only faith. And for salvation to occur the object of that faith must be Jesus Christ.

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline

Musicdude wrote:
AiiA wrote:
Musicdude wrote:

AiiA wrote:
Prove it.

Prove there's a god.

I don't have to. He will prove Himself to you. It is not my purpose to prove God to you. You aren't saved by proof, but by faith.

Why, then, are you still here when we clearly reject "faith" as a rational position? Why waste your time witnessing about faith in a place full of infidels, when there are surely people more open to your message... like maybe Muslims. Hell, they even worship the same God as you do already, so they'd probably be even easier to convert!

Just be real careful... we militant atheists only bite Christians' heads off metaphorically; piss off some of those Islamic fundies and you could lose your head for real! Eye-wink

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
ObnoxiousBroad

ObnoxiousBroad wrote:
Musicdude wrote:
AiiA wrote:
Musicdude wrote:

AiiA wrote:
Prove it.

Prove there's a god.

Why, then, are you still here when we clearly reject "faith" as a rational position? Why waste your time witnessing about faith in a place full of infidels, when there are surely people more open to your message... like maybe Muslims. Hell, they even worship the same God as you do already, so they'd probably be even easier to convert!

Just be real careful... we militant atheists only bite Christians' heads off metaphorically; piss off some of those Islamic fundies and you could lose your head for real! Eye-wink

Muslims do not worship the same God as me. Allah is a modernized Chaldean Moon-god. I worship the God of israel. Go tell an israelite that they worship the same God as the muslims do and see what kind of reaction  you get. Israelis can be a rough bunch too.

I did not come here to convert anyone, so the fact that no one has been converted is no reason for me to leave. I came here to see if evolution and/or the big bang had any legitimate, real proof. And people keep trying to drag me into theological discussions. I would much rather talk about evolution and the big bang. I know that no one is forcing me to keep coming back and posting in this thread, but I just have trouble dropping an issue that has not been resolved one way or the other, even if I know that resolution is practically impossible.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline

Musicdude wrote:

AiiA wrote:
How would you know that?

Because I have been told by a higher authority, and I trust Him.
What higher authority?

Quote:
Quote:
Then why are you here?

It's obvious you haven't done that nor will you ever. If you think you can disprove scientific facts, you are quite deluded.

Quote:
Quote:

There is no such thing as "religious faith." There is only faith.
Do you deny your religious faith?
Quote:
And for salvation to occur the object of that faith must be Jesus Christ.
What salvation? Prove faith is an object.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: I did not

Musicdude wrote:

I did not come here to convert anyone, so the fact that no one has been converted is no reason for me to leave. I came here to see if evolution and/or the big bang had any legitimate, real proof. And people keep trying to drag me into theological discussions. I would much rather talk about evolution and the big bang.

Not true, please review your original post.

Musicdude wrote:

Was it just me or was that lady in the audience who kept pushing Kirk to answer her question a complete moron? He was trying to answer her, and she kept interrupting him and accusing him of avoiding the question which he wasn't doing. What a retard. Why did God allow cancer? The answer to that question is the same answer to why God allows any and all suffering to befall us. And Kirk was trying to answer that broader question, when he kept being very rudely interrupted. God didn't create suffering. He didn't create cancer. He created people with free will, and those people's decisions have caused all the evil in the world, including cancer.

Granted that was a Christian-biblical answer to the question, but that is what was being asked. That question was being asked assuming God was real and Christianity was real. If that is true, then the bible must be the source of the answer to that question.

One angel originally created evil. Then one man recreated it. Evil is nothing more than disobedience to God. For disobedience to God to exist there must be some created thing with the ability to choose whether or not to obey God. That is why sin did not exist prior to the creation of angels. God did not make the angel sin, nor did he make the man sin. He only told them what to do and gave them the free will to obey or not. They chose to not obey. They have suffered the consequences.

That just irked me a little. And then I think I saw somewhere on this website bragging about the fact that Kirk couldn't even answer an audience member's question. Please.....Maybe if she would've shut up long enough for him to answer he could have.

I do not see evolution or the big bang mentioned anywhere in the text. 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote:

Musicdude wrote:
I came here to see if evolution and/or the big bang had any legitimate, real proof. And people keep trying to drag me into theological discussions. I would much rather talk about evolution and the big bang.
Creationism is based on theistic principles, so theological discussion is appropriate when someone claims creationism.

You have no prooof of jesus or of a god.

However there is substatial proof of evolution. So it would seem you are talking to yourself here.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

Did the illiad predate the book of genesis, which was written my moses? Because wasn't the illiad a Roman faith, and Rome did not exist back then if I remember correctly.

Um, how far is the library from your house? Have you ever read anything that didn't say "bible" on the cover? After you read your science book, move on to a history book. Please.

Musicdude wrote:

You are only referring to the new testament which is only 2,000 years old. But I don't seperate it from the old testament which is much much older. Jesus was prophesied in Genesis. God told Adam and eve about Him, right after the first sin occured.

Um....yeah.

Musicdude wrote:
I guess I misread it. My apologies.

I forgive you. And I don't need jesus to do it.

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:
Good for you. The mark of a truly objective, free-thinking individual, throwing away any literature that disagrees with his view of the world.

Musicdude wrote:
If you cannot see a difference between humanity and every other species on this earth, you are more deluded than I imagined.

If you cannot see the similarities between humanity and other species, well, then you must have not read that science book. Go to your room, read it, then come back.

Musicdude wrote:
The fact that we are having this conversation is proof enough. It is not a result of evolution. We have always had that ability to be moral and rational people, as far back as recorded human history goes we have been intelligent people.

I'm with you there. We never need god or jesus to be moral.

Musicdude wrote:

Some of the most intelligent people who have ever lived, lived a long, long time ago, and we still draw from their timeless wisdom. That alone is proof that we are not evolving, but devolving as a species.

But we have also dispensed with much which we once drew on, as new knowledge has refuted it. We should continue to do so, and not slavishly cling to the myths of the past. If we're devolving, religion is to blame.

Musicdude wrote:
I do not consider that a paradox. I have already explained why.[/quoted]

You haven't, really. All you've said is "well, if that's the way it is, just deal with it".

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:
I see no paradox. From my perspective it is the reason and purpose are clear, and it is not only fair, but extremely gracious on God's part.

Gracious to create us with the guarantee that some of us will end up in eternal torment? Did the definition of gracious change when I wasn't looking?

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:

I don't see how it has any affect on it's credibility for the better or worse.

Because then it is just like any other recycled myth, like the flood story or sibling rivalry. You tried to play the unique card earlier in a comparison to mohammed, saying that jesus gave his life. So did dionysus, mithra and attis, long before jesus was a drop of ink on some charlatan's pen. Nothing unique about jesus.

Musicdude wrote:

Quote:
Then stop.

Just quoting you from about 75 posts back. Thought you'd notice.

πππ†
π†††

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: It's obvious

AiiA wrote:
It's obvious you haven't done that nor will you ever. If you think you can disprove scientific facts, you are quite deluded.
I have been side-tracked by all this theistic debate. I will get around to it. I said "evolution" and the "big bang," neither of which are scientific facts, so whether I can or can't disprove scientific facts is irrelevant because I never claimed to be able to. 

Quote:
Do you deny your religious faith?

I don't understand the question. I have already said I do not believe there is such a thing as religious faith, therefore I would have nothing to deny. There is only faith.  

Quote:
What salvation?/

Biblical salvation. Salvation from Hell.  

Quote:
 Prove faith is an object.

I did not say that faith was an object. But faith requires an object. If I say "I have faith." You say "faith in what?" My answer to that question would be the object of my faith. It can be anything. But for salvation to occur, it must be Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is not the only person or thing I have faith in. I have faith in my family, my friends, the laws of nature, democracy, etc. But faith in man or things made by man do not save my soul. Only faith in Jesus does that.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Musicdude

AiiA wrote:

Musicdude wrote:
I came here to see if evolution and/or the big bang had any legitimate, real proof. And people keep trying to drag me into theological discussions. I would much rather talk about evolution and the big bang.
Creationism is based on theistic principles, so theological discussion is appropriate when someone claims creationism.

However there is substatial proof of evolution. So it would seem you are talking to yourself here.

You do not have to prove creationism in order to disprove evolution and the big bang. You can disprove the scientific theories of evolution and the big bang without ever even discussing the possibility of creation.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote:

Musicdude wrote:
Muslims do not worship the same God as me. Allah is a modernized Chaldean Moon-god. I worship the God of israel.
Are you claiming there are 2 gods now?
Quote:
Go tell an israelite that they worship the same God as the muslims do and see what kind of reaction you get. Israelis can be a rough bunch too.
Explain what you mean. Do Jews have a better argument than you?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Musicdude wrote:
AiiA wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

You do not have to prove creationism in order to disprove evolution and the big bang. You can disprove the scientific theories of evolution and the big bang without ever even discussing the possibility of creation.

Then do it. What's keeping you?

Or is this another Comfort/Cameron statement:

"I can prove the existence of God without using the Bible."

<Seconds of silence>

"The Bible says..."  

— George Carlin

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline

Musicdude wrote:

AiiA wrote:
I have been side-tracked by all this theistic debate. I will get around to it. I said "evolution" and the "big bang," neither of which are scientific facts,
You're either a fucking liar or a fucking idiot. Evolution is a scientific fact and the bigbang is a scientific theory. Your jesus and god are dog farts.
Quote:
so whether I can or can't disprove scientific facts is irrelevant because I never claimed to be able to.
Well what the fuck are you trying to do?

I will quote you:

Musicdude wrote:
AiiA wrote:
Then why are you here?

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Um, how

zarathustra wrote:

Um, how far is the library from your house? Have you ever read anything that didn't say "bible" on the cover? After you read your science book, move on to a history book. Please.

So, I take that to mean you aren't going to answer my question. Thanks a bunch. I don't have time to sit in a library and read. I have to work for a living.

Quote:
Um....yeah.
If you want me to quit talking about the bible, then quit bringing it up.

Quote:
I forgive you. And I don't need jesus to do it.
Your forgivness will not save me from hell. But thanks anyway.

Quote:
So you didn't throw your bible away? Did you actually read it, or was that a figure of speech too?

Quote:
If you cannot see the similarities between humanity and other species, well, then you must have not read that science book. Go to your room, read it, then come back.
Now you are just being contradictory. The moment a monkey logs onto this forum and joins the conversation, I'll eat my words. Even if it happens a trillion years from now.

Quote:
I'm with you there. We never need god or jesus to be moral.
No we don't. But we do need Him for salvation from the punishment for our immorality.

Quote:
But we have also dispensed with much which we once drew on, as new knowledge has refuted it. We should continue to do so, and not slavishly cling to the myths of the past. If we're devolving, religion is to blame.
I say progressivism is to blame.

Quote:
You haven't, really. All you've said is "well, if that's the way it is, just deal with it".
I've said a lot more than that. You are just being antagonistic.

Quote:
Gracious to create us with the guarantee that some of us will end up in eternal torment? Did the definition of gracious change when I wasn't looking?
Foreknowledge does not constitute a lack of free will. I don't know any other way to explain that to you than the ways I already have. Let's move on, because we aren't going to agree on that. Suffice it to say, I am glad God created me. And I don't consider it a bad move on His part.

Quote:
Because then it is just like any other recycled myth, like the flood story or sibling rivalry. You tried to play the unique card earlier in a comparison to mohammed, saying that jesus gave his life. So did dionysus, mithra and attis, long before jesus was a drop of ink on some charlatan's pen. Nothing unique about jesus.
I guess I would have to study up a little on the false prophets that you mentioned. I don't know how old they are. I would be extremely surprised if they predate Jesus. Remember the account in Genesis was moses' vision of things that happened a long, long time ago, before he was born. So if the account is true (which this argument is assuming it is) then nothing predates Jesus, because He was prophesied while there were only two people on the earth.

Quote:
Just quoting you from about 75 posts back. Thought you'd notice.

I know you are. And I noticed it the first time you did it. I assumed you would realize it was a bad joke and stop quoting it, but apparently you aren't.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: You're either

AiiA wrote:

You're either a fucking liar or a fucking idiot. Evolution is a scientific fact and the bigbang is a scientific theory. Your jesus and god are dog farts.

Evolution is not a fact any more than the bigbang is. If you say it is you are making a sematical argument. The THEORY of evolution that I'm referring to, where we evolved from another lesser species in order to adapt to our environment is not a proven fact.

Quote:
Right now, I'm defending my beliefs against your attacks. Not really what I came here to do. You missed my point. I said I came to disprove E&BB and you said, you can't disprove scientific fact. Then I said that neither of those theories would be classified as scientific facts, so your point is moot. Now do you get what I was saying?

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Musicdude

jcgadfly wrote:
Musicdude wrote:
AiiA wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

<Seconds of silence>

"The Bible says..."  

I have already presented two logical contradictions, one to the big bang and one to evolution. No one even acknowledged them or offered an explanation for them. Granted, transitional species and infinite matter are not new arguments, but maybe I have a new slant on them. You'll never know if you don't pick up the gauntlet that I threw down.

From what I've seen here people get their heads bitten off for bringing up arguments against evolution and the big bang that have been brought up before, and they don't even get a chance to show whether or not they might have a different take on them. So that is probably another reason I have been a little reluctant to bring it up.  

If we are going to discuss that, let's please start a new thread, and let's keep it on subject. This thread has changed subjects so many times I don't even remember half of what I was arguing about. 

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Are you

AiiA wrote:
Are you claiming there are 2 gods now?

No, I'm claiming their god is make-believe and mine is real. There is only one real god and that is the God of Israel.  

Quote:
Explain what you mean. Do Jews have a better argument than you?

No, but you presented the idea that muslims and christians worship the same god as though it were a widely accepted fact, and it isn't a fact, nor is it widely accepted. In fact it could not be further from the truth.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: Right

Musicdude wrote:

Right now, I'm defending my beliefs against your attacks. Not really what I came here to do. You missed my point. I said I came to disprove E&BB and you said, you can't disprove scientific fact. Then I said that neither of those theories would be classified as scientific facts, so your point is moot. Now do you get what I was saying?

PLEASE READ YOUR INITIAL POST.

It had nothing to do with evolution or the big bang.

Musicdude wrote:

I did not come here to convert anyone, so the fact that no one has been converted is no reason for me to leave. I came here to see if evolution and/or the big bang had any legitimate, real proof. And people keep trying to drag me into theological discussions. I would much rather talk about evolution and the big bang.

Musicdude wrote:

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote:Musicdude

BGH wrote:
Musicdude wrote:

PLEASE READ YOUR INITIAL POST.

It had nothing to do with evolution or the big bang.

Musicdude wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

You asked "why are you here" or something to that effect. I thought you meant why am I on these forums, not why did I start this particular thread. I came to the forums to hear the arguments for E&BB and attempt to disprove them. I created this thread out of frustration, because everytime that lady said "you aren't answering my question" it was like nails on a chalk-board to me. He was attempting to answer her question, but she wouldn't shut-up and let him. The bible doesn't specifically say why God allows cancer to infect certain people. So there is no specific biblical answer to that question. He was trying to give her a more general answer, and she wouldn't let him. But he still treated her with respect inspite of her rudeness and impatience.

This thread was a quick frustrated rant that has turned into a 339-post (and counting) debate on theism.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: You asked

Musicdude wrote:

You asked "why are you here" or something to that effect.

I did not ask, someone else did.

Musicdude wrote:
I thought you meant why am I on these forums, not why did I start this particular thread. I came to the forums to hear the arguments for E&BB and attempt to disprove them.

If this is really your purpose then why do you refuse to listen to the explanations? Would you like to start a seperate private (email) discussion about these topics with myself or another member, or would you like to start another thread with specific questions?

Musicdude wrote:
I created this thread out of frustration, because everytime that lady said "you aren't answering my question" it was like nails on a chalk-board to me. He was attempting to answer her question, but she wouldn't shut-up and let him. The bible doesn't specifically say why God allows cancer to infect certain people. So there is no specific biblical answer to that question. He was trying to give her a more general answer, and she wouldn't let him. But he still treated her with respect inspite of her rudeness and impatience.

If you state you are not here to talk about faith and this is the first topic you focus on it kind of goes against your original intent, correct? 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline

Musicdude wrote:
AiiA wrote:

Evolution is not a fact any more than the bigbang is.
Who told you that?
Quote:
If you say it is you are making a sematical argument.
What is semantical about it?
Quote:
The THEORY of evolution that I'm referring to, where we evolved from another lesser species in order to adapt to our environment is not a proven fact.
Evolution is a fact and a theory, put your little bable down and read the dictionary. What is a"lessor" species and what lessor species are your referring to? Are you trying to move the goal posts of the discussion? I didn't say anything about "evolving from another lesser species in order to adapt to our environment".

Quote:
Quote:
Right now, I'm defending my beliefs against your attacks.
You have no defense.
Quote:
Not really what I came here to do. You missed my point. I said I came to disprove E&BB and you said, you can't disprove scientific fact. Then I said that neither of those theories would be classified as scientific facts, so your point is moot. Now do you get what I was saying?
Unless YOU CAN PROVE E&BB ARE FALSE, you are full of SHIT.
Unless you can prove there was a jesus and /or a god you are full of shit.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: I did not ask,

BGH wrote:

I did not ask, someone else did.

Sorry, it's kinda difficult to keep track of who said what when debating so many people at once, and especially when certain ones start asking questions about my responses to others. Try to bear with me.

Quote:
If this is really your purpose then why do you refuse to listen to the explanations? Would you like to start a seperate private (email) discussion about these topics with myself or another member, or would you like to start another thread with specific questions?

When has someone tried to explain evolution or the big bang to me? If that had happened, I would've listened. I'd rather discuss it here (not the particular thread, but on the forums) instead of in emails, becuase I'd like to get more than just one person's views on these issues.

Quote:
If you state you are not here to talk about faith and this is the first topic you focus on it kind of goes against your original intent, correct? 
Becuase I'm easily drawn into faith discussions. This is my belief that I center my life around, so I usually feel the need to defend it when it's attacked, even if I'm not the one being attacked.

If I start a thread about this, am I going to get bombarded with smartass statments condemning me for rehashing the same old arguments? Because if that's how it's gonna be, I'm not interested. If you (and others) can treat me with respect as someone who is seeking to take and give knowledge and participate in an enlightening discussion, then I'm all for it.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: jcgadfly

Musicdude wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:
Musicdude wrote:
AiiA wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

<Seconds of silence>

"The Bible says..."

I have already presented two logical contradictions, one to the big bang and one to evolution. No one even acknowledged them or offered an explanation for them. Granted, transitional species and infinite matter are not new arguments, but maybe I have a new slant on them. You'll never know if you don't pick up the gauntlet that I threw down.

From what I've seen here people get their heads bitten off for bringing up arguments against evolution and the big bang that have been brought up before, and they don't even get a chance to show whether or not they might have a different take on them. So that is probably another reason I have been a little reluctant to bring it up.

If we are going to discuss that, let's please start a new thread, and let's keep it on subject. This thread has changed subjects so many times I don't even remember half of what I was arguing about.

I remember your statement about transitional species. I also remember it being roundly refuted.

The infinite matter statement I honestly don't remember seeing. 

— George Carlin

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: If I

Musicdude wrote:

If I start a thread about this, am I going to get bombarded with smartass statments condemning me for rehashing the same old arguments? Because if that's how it's gonna be, I'm not interested. If you (and others) can treat me with respect as someone who is seeking to take and give knowledge and participate in an enlightening discussion, then I'm all for it.

You possibly may get bombarded.

Here is my suggestion, if you truly want to learn the science behind these theories look at the threads in this forum for evolution, and this forum for general science with many threads speaking about cosmology and the big bang. Get involved with a current discussion, keep an open mind, and ask questions. I must warn you, do not prostylitize or you will be bombarded.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote:

BGH wrote:
Musicdude wrote:

You possibly may get bombarded.

Here is my suggestion, if you truly want to learn the science behind these theories look at the threads in this forum for evolution, and this forum for general science with many threads speaking about cosmology and the big bang. Get involved with a current discussion, keep an open mind, and ask questions. I must warn you, do not prostylitize or you will be bombarded.

Also, on this subject, try these links for more information.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/uni_101bb1.html

Both may give you a head start on understanding the science.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote: No, I'm

Musicdude wrote:
No, I'm claiming their god is make-believe and mine is real. There is only one real god and that is the God of Israel.

Ok, that's officially the funniest thing I've seen all day. Someone who worships their imaginary friend calling someone ELSES imaginary friend make-believe.

That RULES! 

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH

Nice website.  I took biology classes in high school and university, but since I choose to close my mind to it, I missed a ton of it.  I'm thankful websites and resources such as these exist.

Musicdude, I know you believe that God has commanded you to "take your thoughts captive" and to not doubt him, but I challenge you to give into the mental temptation and learn about evolution with a truly open mind.  This website would be a great place to start. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Andyy wrote: BGH

Andyy wrote:

Nice website. I took biology classes in high school and university, but since I choose to close my mind to it, I missed a ton of it. I'm thankful websites and resources such as these exist.

Musicdude, I know you believe that God has commanded you to "take your thoughts captive" and to not doubt him, but I challenge you to give into the mental temptation and learn about evolution with a truly open mind. This website would be a great place to start.

Thanks, I hope many others here will also find it useful. The topics are very easy to navigate and the information is presented in a very easy to understand format like this:

An introduction to evolution

Short-term change w/o inheritance Long-term change w/o inheritance
  Leaves on trees change color and fall over several weeks.   Mountain ranges erode over millions of years.
  Short-term change w/ inheritance   Long-term change w/ inheritance
  A genealogy illustrates change with inheritance over a small number of years..   Over a large number of years, evolution produces tremendous diversity in forms of life.

The definition Biological evolution, simply put, is descent with modification. This definition encompasses small-scale evolution (changes in gene frequency in a population from one generation to the next) and large-scale evolution (the descent of different species from a common ancestor over many generations). Evolution helps us to understand the history of life.

The explanation
Biological evolution is not simply a matter of change over time. Lots of things change over time: trees lose their leaves, mountain ranges rise and erode, but they aren't examples of biological evolution because they don't involve descent through genetic inheritance.

The central idea of biological evolution is that all life on Earth shares a common ancestor, just as you and your cousins share a common grandmother.

Through the process of descent with modification, the common ancestor of life on Earth gave rise to the fantastic diversity that we see documented in the fossil record and around us today. Evolution means that we're all distant cousins: humans and oak trees, hummingbirds and whales.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Folks, you have roughly two

Folks, you have roughly two to three hours to put any final parting thoughts into this thread before it is closed.

This is being done to afford everyone time to go read the topics in their thread specific places rather than trying to create a frankentein's monster out of this one.

It has been taken too far off of topic. 

12am EST the thread is closed. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: Folks,

darth_josh wrote:

Folks, you have roughly two to three hours to put any final parting thoughts into this thread before it is closed.

This is being done to afford everyone time to go read the topics in their thread specific places rather than trying to create a frankentein's monster out of this one.

It has been taken too far off of topic.

12am EST the thread is closed.

You could just change the thread name to "Rantings of Musicdude" or something like that Smiling

Musicdude, all I have to say is, I know how you feel...  I've been where you are, I grew out of it.  The truth really will set your mind free.  Take care.