Ask us questions for our drunk show! Have fun with this one

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

As you may well know Richard Carrier will be spending the weekend at my house next week so that he can record a batch of shows with us. He has a long day of travel from California to NY to Philly on Friday August 4th, and has said already that he wouldn't mind a glass of his favorite vodka (Zubrowka) to calm him after the long day. Mike and Rook are both coming on Friday evening as well and staying for a hard core weekend of show creation, as we prepare to record for 12+ hours on Saturday.

You may also be aware of the fact that we have been looking for a good opportunity to relax, have fun, and do a show while we were hammered/drunk/ripped/wasted. Well, seeing as no driving will be required (wouldn't be rational to drive drunk Eye-wink), and we can isolate the show on a night when we don't have to record anything serious... the perfect night has arisen.

Friday August 4th when Richard Carrier comes into town we'll record a show while we're drunk! We'll review some Darwin awards and laugh at the stupidity, respond to some hate mail with some drunken slurs, talk about the effect of alcohol on our system, AND answer any questions you want to pose to us drunk.

Go ahead... ask us anything, as long as it's light. We're now accepting questions to be answered on air as we spiral into a drunken haze.

Ask questions of Richard Carrier, Brian Sapient, Mike Y#5, and Rook Hawkins, again keep the questions light, however they can still be on topic with our areas of interest. We'll drink to the best questions every time their read on the show, and maybe the audience will too!

PART OF THE ARTILLERY:

Pictured from left to right: Jose Cuervo Tequila Black, Margarita mix, Richard Carrier drink of choice-Zubrowka Buffalo Grass Vodka, Three Philosophers Belgian Ale (from my friends at Brewery Ommegang... so appropriate), 12 pack of Yuengling Lager (Rooks bringing another 24), and finally a 6 pack of Blue Moon (the cheap Belgian knock-off).

We can't schedule a firm time to record this show considering Carrier could be delayed in transit across the country, although it will probably go down around 11pm est August 4th (give or take 2 hours). Depending on how many buttons I feel like pushing and how much I feel like spreading the word half drunk there is a chance (I SAID "A CHANCE"Eye-wink that we'll actually air this show LIVE, and talk shit at you while you sit in the chat room. :twisted: Of course if this happens we'll field questions LIVE, and also encourage you to get drunk with us. Like I said, no promises, but if we do this show live, I'll send a few myspace bulletins and a message to all members of this forum as well with about 10 minutes notice.

Let's see some questions that are on topic that can elicit some funny responses!

HOW DRUNK WILL WE GET? You'll have to tune in to find out!

P.S. This show will be included in the Richard Carrier series and is looking like at least 5 or 6 shows (maybe even 7 or Cool, which means post production price may be about $12-$16. They're still on sale pre-production for $4!

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

jester700 wrote:

On the steaks next time I'm in the city: Pat's & Geno's it is. I will have one of each and render the ultimate decision.

In fairness you should also try, in order of most preferred first:

1. Steve's Prince of Steaks
2. Tony Luke's
3. Jims Steaks

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline

Awww. That was harsh. It's a camera phone. I don't shred the meat. cheesesteak is beef mutilation.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

jester700
User is offlineOffline

darth_josh wrote:
Awww. That was harsh. It's a camera phone. I don't shred the meat. cheesesteak is beef mutilation.

Just kidding, man. I love stir fry (especially w/ curry)

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

If I have AIDS and drink communion wine at a catholic church where it literally becomes the blood of jesus christ, should I worry about going to hell for possibly giving him the virus?

"It's not so much staying alive. It's staying human that's important." - 1984
www.myspace.com/applesforadam
applesforadam.blogspot.com

Crazybassist03
Crazybassist03's picture
User is offlineOffline

gatogreensleeves wrote:
Alright, some say I'm a wine snob- but it's my job, so they can lick weld! My question is this: what kind of wine do you think Jesus turned that water into... a big cabernet sauvignon, a nice earthy pinot noir or syrah... OR was it something like white zinfandel or that Arbor Mist crap with the fruit juice in it...?

It was that shitty wine that comes in a big box. haha.

Crazybassist03
Crazybassist03's picture
User is offlineOffline

BarkAtTheMoon wrote:
Sapient wrote:
Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

Actually, the best Philly cheese steak is in Delaware at the Claymont Steak Shop. I'm shocked Bark didn't attest to that fact :shock:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! THey moved Philly to Delaware! ROTFLMAO!!!!

Fucking blasphemy!

That's like saying you can't get a good wing outside of Buffalo. Though I will agree that you can't get a good cheese steak beyong about a half hour from Philly.

Oh, Claymont's are good alright. Yellow, we need to make a Pat's run for comparison purposes since it's been about 6 or 7 years since I've had one. I'll take Claymont over Geno's.

I've had really good cheese steaks in chicago. So I don't think this is entirely accurate.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Crazybassist03 wrote:

I've had really good cheese steaks in chicago. So I don't think this is entirely accurate.

There are a few places around the country that try to duplicate the Philly Cheese Steak. Pat Croce, ex-owner of the Sixers recently opened a pub in Florida with satellite hook up to all Philly sports and channels, and an attempt at famous Philadelphian reproductions. Most places, even in the city or around the city of Philadelphia don't make the cheese steak properly. Chopped meat is a no-no, and most use it. The "real" cheese steak shops dedicated to recreating the original, generally stay open either 24 hours a day or close to it, give you the steak in wax paper, DON't chop the steak, act like the soup nazi upon ordering, have a 1 hour line at almost all times of the day, don't have enough seating, sell only steaks and fries, have two seperate windows for drinks and steaks, have hundreds of autographed celebrity pictures from past visits, and use an Amoroso roll.

It's really hard to imagine "Claymont" or Chicago following most of that, since even most of Philadelphia itself doesn't get it "right." Are there good cheese steaks outside of Philadelphia? Of course, a cheese steak is almost never bad. Are there cheese steaks that represent what the originators have contrived, outside of Philly? Probably not. Although I thought it was interesting that wikipedia points out a few shops that actually ship in Amoroso rolls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheesesteak

One thing I'm sure of, when the clubs close or you leave the Eagles game, the intersection of 9th and Passyunk is a great place to hang out. Tons of people, tons of lights, and an hour wait to have a cheesesteak from the creators (one shop created the steak, the other added the cheese). Quite a site:

Across the street, and much more asthetically pleasing:

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:
Crazybassist03 wrote:

There are a few places around the country that try to duplicate the Philly Cheese Steak. Pat Croce, ex-owner of the Sixers recently opened a pub in Florida with satellite hook up to all Philly sports and channels, and an attempt at famous Philadelphian reproductions. Most places, even in the city or around the city of Philadelphia don't make the cheese steak properly. Chopped meat is a no-no, and most use it. The "real" cheese steak shops dedicated to recreating the original, generally stay open either 24 hours a day or close to it, give you the steak in wax paper, DON't chop the steak, act like the soup nazi upon ordering, have a 1 hour line at almost all times of the day, don't have enough seating, sell only steaks and fries, have two seperate windows for drinks and steaks, have hundreds of autographed celebrity pictures from past visits, and use an Amoroso roll.

It's really hard to imagine "Claymont" or Chicago following most of that, since even most of Philadelphia itself doesn't get it "right."

That's where you're wrong. Claymont has a big sign over the grill that says "Due to the quality of our meat, we will NOT chop our steaks. Don't ask." And in all honesty, Claymont is only a five minute drive from Philly. I stand by my assertion that they are the best of the best.

And the Amaoroso roll is good, but a Serpie's bakery roll (which Claymont gets fresh daily) is MUCH better. So soft and flavorful! Their canolies are also out of this world.

The facism of a place like Pat's or Geno's is missing though, and I actually miss that. I LOVE when they tell the n00bs to go to the back of the line and try agian Laughing out loud

Quote:
Are there good cheese steaks outside of Philadelphia? Of course, a cheese steak is almost never bad.

That's where you're wrong. I worked with a guy who was from Minnesota - he told me he preffered steaks from fucking Subway or all places :shock: :smt022

Quote:
One thing I'm sure of, when the clubs close or you leave the Eagles game, the intersection of 9th and Passyunk is a great place to hang out. Tons of people, tons of lights, and an hour wait to have a cheesesteak from the creators (one shop created the steak, the other added the cheese).

Well, nobody can argue with that. The atmosphere and history are certainly tangible properties.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline

I will say that only in Philly does:

"Gimmie one inside out, 'wit." Mean anything Laughing out loud

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
Are there good cheese steaks outside of Philadelphia? Of course, a cheese steak is almost never bad.

That's where you're wrong. I worked with a guy who was from Minnesota - he told me he preffered steaks from fucking Subway or all places :shock: :smt022

There's certain places that don't qualify as cheesesteak. Convenience stores would be one, any fast food chain, and subway would definetly be on the list. I can't recall a pizza shop or a sit down restaurant other than those, that made a cheesesteak that I couldn't eat.

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

From someone who has never had a straight-from-Philly-cheesesteak sammy, what's the verdict from you guys on Penn Station's?

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline

applesforadam wrote:
From someone who has never had a straight-from-Philly-cheesesteak sammy, what's the verdict from you guys on Penn Station's?

I've only ever eaten pizza and gyros in Penn Station.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline

Wait a minute.
How long does it take the FROZEN beef to get to Philly?

OK OK. I'll stop there. I don't think this question should be asked among a bunch of drunk guys. This might be the thing that turns the tequila into liquid anger. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline

Ask away, darth, like I said, this WILL end in a fist fight, minimum. Fuking heathens won't recognize the one true cheese steak.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline

I say find a philly cheesesteak chef and give him better, fresher ingredients somewhere in the mid-south.
There's a farm just outside of town where you can choose your pig to be processed and only buy what you want.
I pass a small herd of Black Angus bulls on the way to work as well as about 20 churches. (It's ok. One of them got loose a while back and broke down the door to the small country church in this picture:

I think that bull is an atheist.
Peppers and tomatoes grow great here in the summer. Corn and soybeans don't do so well. The cheese might not be fresh but cheese isn't really supposed to be is it?
Bread. What bread is the best with Philly cheesesteak?
PLUS!!!! The Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg is less than thirty miles away.

SOOOOO, the real question I guess is...... What exactly makes a Philly cheesesteak so damned good?
Oh and which alcohol goes best with it? I forget if it has been mentioned.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
SOOOOO, the real question I guess is...... What exactly makes a Philly cheesesteak so damned good?

The fist fights Eye-wink

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

The fist fights Eye-wink

Nothing from the city of brotherly love would be quite as good if it didn't result in blows being thrown. Just ask Barry Bonds when the Giants come to town.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline

applesforadam wrote:
The fist fights Eye-wink

Nothing from the city of brotherly love would be quite as good if it didn't result in blows being thrown. Just ask Barry Bonds when the Giants come to town.

No, no. In that case we restrain the fists and throw batteries. You don't understand us or our indefensible violence at all Sad

jester700
User is offlineOffline

Wow. I gotta say, since I AM a "nOOb" WRT steaks, I will never go to Pat's or Geno's. If I was to wait in a line to buy food and was told to go to the end of the line because I didn't understand their little treehouse exclusivist lingo, not only would I NOT go to the end of the line, I'd look for a pipe to crash a window, high tail it to Jersey and become a Rangers fan. :twisted:

All that is crap. There's nothing about a certain brand of roll that can't be matched or even bettered by another bakery, unless one has a concept that "original is best, and authenticity is paramount". I get this from Strat and Les Paul guitar players all the time - sometimes those who play on imported versions.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

I agree there. i wouldn't patronise a place that treted customers badly.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

So this show will probably be live, and on this coming Friday? That's great, I'll be off. And that day is actually "Pimp Day!" It's Iceberg Slim's birthday. Laughing out loud

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MikeYoung
User is offlineOffline

Question to be considered when drunk:

The ancient Persians (or was it the Huns) always used to consider every decision twice, one when drunk and once when sober. Was this a good thing?

Question to be considered when sober:

The ancient Persians (or was it the Huns) always used to consider every decision twice, one when drunk and once when sober. Was this a good thing?

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Funny Mike.

jester700
User is offlineOffline

Not to keep derailing the thread, but.. (ever notice how people say "not to change the subject, but..." and then proceed to change the freakin' subject?)

I didn't know they actually have big ol' signs teaching one how to order a cheese steak. It's also on their web site. Makes my indignation somewhat moot. To wit:
http://community.iexplore.com/photos/journal_photos/1(318).jpg

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline

Do you find that when your thoughts wax philosophical while drunk, it kills the alcohol buzz?

OK. Each of you drink a 32oz. glass/bottle of water before answering these questions:

1.) What is the sqare root of 443,556?
2.) What time is it in Fiji if it is 8:00 pm CST?
3.) What is the name of the man who is fifth in line for the presidency of the United States?
4.) How many words can you write with numbers on the calculator that you are holding?
5.) If a dog ages seven years per human year and a cat ages 15 years in it's first year and then four years per year after that when will your dog and cat be the same age as George W. Bush mentally?

Now, stand up(if you can) and do 20 jumping jacks with your eyes closed.

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

Sapient, would you ever marry Star Jones?

gatogreensleeves
gatogreensleeves's picture
User is offlineOffline

If you're going to drink, you need to make sure you eat beforehand:

BarkAtTheMoon
Rational VIP!
BarkAtTheMoon's picture
User is offlineOffline

Joe_The_Atheist wrote:
Sapient, would you ever marry Star Jones?

I sure hope being drunk wouldn't change the answer to that question.

You guys can continue the age old debate:

Samantha vs. Genie
MaryAnne vs. Ginger
Leela vs. Amy

Again, this is likely to be solved by a fist fight if anyone answers incorrectly, much like the cheese steak debate.

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
- Eric Idle, from The Galaxy Song

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

Do you like lesbians?