Atheist Satellite Channel

paulandjane
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Satellite Channel

This is a copy of an email that we recently sent to Richard Dawkins in order to gather support for organizing and setting up an atheist satellite to try to counteract the “God Channel” and it’s dishonest, sickening broadcasting content. Has anyone out there seen their recent fund raising activities entitled “Mission Week” ?  If not then I would advise them to check it out.

It is about time we rational thinkers did get organized and not, like Richard so accurately put it, behave like cats and wallow in our individualism. Something organized needs to be done soon and we would like to stand up and say that if anyone out there is in agreement with the principal of a an atheist satellite channel then please get in touch with us, now!

If the “God Channel” can do it and succeed in broadcasting their fairy tales to the world, (and to get millions of dollars in return to fund an even more extensive infrastructure) then why can’t we?  We have a message of reality to get across and again as Richard has said there are millions of atheists out there that need to have the confidence “come out”. It is time we attempted to reach the world with the “gospel” of real truth based on evidence, humanism and simple common sense.

Yes it is a big task, but it is possible with the desire, efficient business like planning and financial backing.

“ Dear Richard…

We will get straight to the point. Have just been checking out the “God Channel” and witnessed their fraudulent attempts to get money to support their infrastructure (and their personal lifestyles). As committed atheists we find this obscene and would like to do something to counteract this global confidence trick on the weak-minded.

Surely one of the best ways to fight against it is to attempt to set up a rival satellite station spreading the word of rationality and the facts, which you so brilliantly describe in your excellent book “The God Delusion”.  It is probably one of the most important pieces of literature ever written and we believe that its message should be available to as many people as possible worldwide from all religious denominations as well as the numerous atheists that have not come out yet.

We take your point that getting us atheists organized is difficult, but not impossible especially if we have a detailed plan of action and an organized group to put it into practice. Yes, it will be difficult, but if a group of mentally deluded (or are they just very, very clever illusionists driven by well-established marketing principles ?) people can succeed in such a venture then surely we atheists can. We, by our very beliefs based on scientific facts, are intelligent thinkers, and should be able to organize such a channel and all the other publicity methods required to get this true message across, for example, getting “The God Delusion” into all school libraries.

This has to be done, in our opinion, in a very serious business-like way in order for it to succeed. There is probably no more important message to get across in order to break the disproportionate stranglehold that all religions have on everyone’s life.  It is about time its special status was challenged using the same tools as they use.

Firstly, we need a committed group of like-minded individuals who can formulate such a plan in detail.  Yes, it does need some huge financial investment, but there must be very rich atheists out there who would be willing to come on board, however, they would understandably want to see business-like organization to formulate this plan before donating funds and indeed getting involved themselves.

We are totally committed in investigating and organizing this plan and would be interested in your thoughts. We do appreciate that you do have many commitments that might restrict your involvement but cannot emphasize enough the importance of someone like yourself who possesses such intelligence, compassion and the interest of humanity at heart, to be involved at the very centre of this idea.

We hope that you get this email among the many that you must receive and look forward to hearing from you. “

We have not had a response from Richard as yet but that is understandable considering the amount of emails he must receive. We enjoyed the video of him in discussion with you all on his tour of the US. Very impressed by your personal commitment, passion and (as always) the quality of the arguments.

We are passionate about the idea of setting up an atheist satellite channel and would like anyone to get in touch with us if they are willing to participate in such a project.

Paul & Jane 

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
paulandjane wrote: Yes, it

paulandjane wrote:
Yes, it will be difficult, but if a group of mentally deluded ... people can succeed in such a venture then surely we atheists can.

That's a good point, and a great way to communicate it.

Such an atheist themed satellite would be a great idea. I hope you can find the right people to get it off the ground. 

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I like the idea, but I'm

I like the idea, but I'm curious whether enough atheist-specific programming could be made to fill a 24 hour channel, or whether an audience wouldn't get saturated quickly. My caveat would be, if it hasn't been considered, to at least keep a secondary plan for something broader in content. Atheism is associated with scientific and philosophical topics for which appropriate programming can be found without having to make it from scratch.

Another idea, a way to test the waters, could be something like current.tv. You can upload original videos to their site, and I think they're voted on, and the popular ones become available through digital cable On Demand services.

Eric Ferguson
User is offlineOffline
There are dozens of God

There are dozens of God channels on satellite and cable. Plus TBN and there hundreds of affiliate stations around the USA. There's certainly enough content to an atheist channel. Just look at USA or Bravo, the same few shows over and over. It's expensive, full-time transponder leases aren't cheap, a couple of hundred per hour.

I love the idea.

I've been a shortwave listener for many many years. Once upon a time there was good programming available. While you can still get some news from overseas, with one exception all the US stations are "spreading the word to the world." I'd love to spread the non-word but the FCC has made that bloody near impossible.

Consider this account closed. It's disgraceful this site has no function to delete an account. I cannot be part of an organization that seeks only to replace the religion of the god of the bible with the religion of "poor me" bleeding heart liberalism. Rational my ass! Not believing in a god is one thing. A rational view of the rest of the world is something else, which isn't found here.

gary7infiltrator
gary7infiltrator's picture
User is offlineOffline
It wouldn't have to be all

It wouldn't have to be all specifically atheist programming - other issues that would interest atheists could work just fine. There are enough science and secular human interest programs out there right now to fill up 24 hours easily. It would be great to bring all these into one channel, and to add stories and programs specifically of interest to atheists on top of it.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It could be a little

It could be a little innovative as well and feature atheist videos from YouTube. That would be sweet, actually, spreading the grass roots message via satellite.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

staks
atheist
staks's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sirius

Maybe we can get a channel on Sirius. I would love to be a part of that. -Staks