Come to my aid.

InYourHonor08
User is offlineOffline
Come to my aid.

You say you can cure my irrationalism called a faith in God with your rationalism. Please explain to me how I am being irrational. I am not trying to be flamed here, just trying to see eye to eye with you.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Most theists on the site

Most theists on the site assert that there is a logical reason for their belief in God. You are an atheist with respect to nearly every deity man has made up, be it Vishnu or Allah or Athena. If you are Christian, you believe only in the Judeo-Christian god. there is no evidence for this God just as there is no evidence for any God man has ever made up. I suggest you check out my essay on a thread I started called the history of God, which is here: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/4979

I have never seen a theist on the site admit they have faith in something they cant prove. They try to assert all sorts of logical reasons for their God existing. If you admit you have faith you admit to irrationality because there is no demonstrable reason why anyone should have faith in a deity.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are already immune to

You are already immune to other irrational claims besides the one you hold. Try applying the same logic you use to reject other's irrational claims and aim it at your own claims. It is that simple. That is how you can see eye to eye with us.

For the same reason you reject Apollo pulling the sun across the sky with a chariot or 72 virgins, (RIGHTFULLY SO BTW). I also reject your deity claims as well. It's that simple. That is how you can seek understand us.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Bjxrn
User is offlineOffline
For me as a Swede all

For me as a Swede all religions seem very weird I have to tell you. I grew up in a very secular country. (Over here there are "normal" people that are in majority, and then there are Christians and Muslims). So when I see the "evidence" for Christianity it is exactly as rediclous to me as if someone were to try to prove to me that Zeus and Apollo exists. Religion is mostly an accident of birth. While this doesn't in any way disprove Christianity (it might be the only true religion) the claims that it makes are not better at convincing me then any other religion. In fact theologically I believe that Islam makes more sense and stands on more a stable ground. There is no freewill problem in Islam for example. But the difference is only slight and I do absolutely reject all religious claims.

InYourHonor08
User is offlineOffline
I know I can't prove it

I know I can't prove it scientifically. Like you said, faith is enough for me. You have faith that there is no deity, I have faith that my God is real and created it. Just like other people have faith in other Gods.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
But isn't it irrational to

But isn't it irrational to believe in something (especially something so all-pervasive in one's life) of which there is no proof?

If someone said god spoke to them, would you believe it?

If someone said god spoke to them through their hairdryer, would you believe it?

The only difference is the hairdryer. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
InYourHonor08 wrote: I know

InYourHonor08 wrote:
I know I can't prove it scientifically. Like you said, faith is enough for me. You have faith that there is no deity, I have faith that my God is real and created it. Just like other people have faith in other Gods.

Faith is not required to not believe something that you even admit needs faith to accept!

All atheism is, at the root, is non belief. You're confusing atheism for strong atheism without any deductive proofs....  

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bjxrn wrote: For me as a

Bjxrn wrote:
For me as a Swede all religions seem very weird I have to tell you. I grew up in a very secular country. (Over here there are "normal" people that are in majority, and then there are Christians and Muslims). So when I see the "evidence" for Christianity it is exactly as rediclous to me as if someone were to try to prove to me that Zeus and Apollo exists.

This is pleasant to hear.

Quote:

Religion is mostly an accident of birth.

Yes.

Quote:

While this doesn't in any way disprove Christianity (it might be the only true religion) the claims that it makes are not better at convincing me then any other religion. In fact theologically I believe that Islam makes more sense and stands on more a stable ground. There is no freewill problem in Islam for example. But the difference is only slight and I do absolutely reject all religious claims.

Well put. 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'