Flyer creation for the Perpetual Enlightenment, War on Easter, War on Christmas

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Flyer creation for the Perpetual Enlightenment, War on Easter, War on Christmas

This thread is part of the Great Big Submission Drive your flyer creations should either be sent to , hosted on your own server and linked here, or posted here....

Flyer creation for the Rational Response Squad Perpetual Enlightenment. (a counter to Christian "tracts")

The ideal flyer would be one that captures your attention, is not too confrontational and is filled with verifiable facts. Flyers can be pictorial or textual and up to two pages (one piece front and back). The perfect flyer encourages the reader to find out more about the flaws in theism after they've read it. Possibly the biggest prize of all is having a flyer you created handed out millions of times over the rest of your life in an attempt to help our fellow man abandon his mind crutch. There are so many ways to attack religion, we're reluctant to suggest how best to go about it. Pick a theme, come up with something that people will actually want to read, and people will actually want to hand out. If you're a cartoon artist or can sketch something out you may want to make a comic strip. If you would like to make your message very small and to the point, this may be a good method as well. Smaller messages save paper, you could print it two (or more) times per page and fill front and back! All flyers should link people to www.RationalResponders.com

Flyer creation for War on Christmas and/or War on Easter.

The notion behind these flyers is very similar to the flyers for "The Perpetual Enlightenment," please refer to the ideas given under that item with the exception that now you'll link those ideas to Easter or Christmas. Flyers can be pictorial or textual, and should be no more than 2 page faces (1 page front and back). Flyers should be to the point, and implore Christians to research their beliefs further. All flyers should link people to www.RationalResponders.com AND www.EndChristmas.com or www.WaronEaster.org depending on which holiday the flyer is for.

UncredibleHallq
User is offlineOffline
Flyer submission

[This is a slightly modified version of something I wrote last spring.]

An Anti-fundamentalist Manifesto

Recently, Christian fundamentalists have been making increasingly loud claims of persecution in America. From the "War on Christmas" to a March 2006 Vision America conference, in which Tom DeLay's indictment was said to have happened because he is "the target of all who despise the cause of Christ," they are attempting to use the language of religious toleration to gain acceptance for their views.

The idea that Christians in America are being persecuted is absurd on its face. People identifying as Christians make up a solid majority of the American public. The claim that Christians are an embattled minority holds only when "Christian" is defined so as to include only the most conservative believers.

And when we turn to the subject of Christian fundamentalism, the problem is not that it is not tolerated, but that it is tolerated too much. We have developed an idea that all religions are good and deserving of respect, but a religion is nothing more than a type of belief system. Just as some belief systems are deplorable, such as Nazism and white supremacy, some religious systems deserve our opposition.

Among those that do we must include any system which holds all dissenters will face eternal punishment. This must, by extension, include claims that books such as the Bible and the Qur'an are infallible. According to the Bible, "he that believeth not is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." Similarly, the Qur'an repeats ad nauseum that unbelievers face an "awful" and "painful doom." Whatever the value contained in these religious traditions, moderate believers must take a firm stand that religious texts should not be treated as infallible when they make such pronouncements.

Opposing such ideologies does not mean prohibiting their expression. Long ago, America's founders realized that freedom must mean freedom to express unpopular views. This is why courts have ruled that even the Ku Klux Klan must be allowed to have rallies to express its views.

Opposing such ideologies does mean responding to them as we do racism. It means expressing disapproval when such beliefs are expressed in conversation. It means standing up when they are argued in the public square. It means challenging public figures who hint at holding such beliefs to make clear where they stand.

Please take a copy of this manifesto and post it somewhere. The text is available online at: www.RationalResponders.com

phoniel
phoniel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really like this writing

[I believe that this is not quite what you are looking for, but my writing did not really fit in any category. This centers more on philosophy, and is controversial. Please do not throw it out if you do not like it, but instead tell me why it doesn't work. Enjoy, and tell me what you think.]

Science and Religion

Science is Man’s search for truth. Religion is a discontented man’s search for comfort. Science does not attempt to soften, nor harshen reality. It does not play to a man’s fear or anger or raw emotion as religion does. It does not seek to instill awe by exaggerating claims, for its claims need no exaggeration. While religion plays to the basest instincts: fear, loneliness, need for purpose, righteous anger, and reaction, science acts on man’s highest ideals.

Science, in all its branches and complexities, is man's search for truth in the world in which he has been placed. It holds only the assumption of reason and existence, for those are the only assumptions it needs. It does not hide behind reaction and dogma, those destroyers of rationality, for without rationality science is nothing. Above all, science places its faith in humanity. It holds that humans need no guide, that they must have no shepherd, and that they have the power to shape their own destiny.

“Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people,” said Karl Marx. Indeed, it is a figment designed to create a world without worries. Thus, it has found its niche among those most oppressed, among those with nothing material to cling to. It feeds on suffering and anguish, and among the dispirited it flourishes. It is a lie that feeds off the desperate hope of the poor and gives to the wide arms of the rich.

And yet, in spite of its appeal to the poor, it refuses to give anything for years of devotion. Never has the hand of God given reached down from heaven and placed a penny in a beggar’s jar. Never has Jesus reappeared to end the wars that kill thousands daily. And there are millions of children who have listened for the tongue of their savior, and their God. They have listened for centuries, waiting to hear some unspeakable wisdom which might deliver them from sorrow. And each generation has heard the same: the deafening roar of silence.

Science is a man's search for truth, Religion is the fool's search for comfort.

viewtifulgord
User is offlineOffline
Why I don't believe

I've always found religion to be an incredible thing, it's the basic reason why the world is in such a horrible state. People slaughtering other people in the name of their god. Justifying murder through political agendas and personal belief. 

I was forced to go to church at young age and was even sent to church camp at one point. I found the other kids were different than me, because everything they knew was told to them and they never had thought to ask questions about the how and why just falling into place like a herd of cows heading to the slaughterhouse.

As I progressed through my early teen's I had began to realise life isn't as perfect as I was told. No matter how hard I would pray sometimes the worst would still prevail. The circle of life and death is inevatable you're born, you live, you die. Then I realised people need religion to accept the fact that they won't be here one day. I'm not afraid of dying, all it means is finishing what you were put on this earth to do. I believe life is about finding your own meaning and making something happen.

Faith is good thing but not when it's taken to an extreme, it helps people get through their days. I just find it hard to have faith when the world is in dissaray. I think religion in general is just a way to control people. Like how Karl Marx refered to it as being the opium of the people. That is what it exactly is and I find it a waste of time to base every action and reaction in my life on how god will ever forgive me if I do something wrong.

Believe what you want I don't care just don't force your beliefs down my throat and expect me to be quiet about it.

-Gord

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
   Image has been

Image has been shrinked for space. Original takes up an entire page, but it can be printed in any size as long as the text remains legible. It would be possible to fit four to six on one page.

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mordagar wrote:   Image

Mordagar wrote:

Image has been shrinked for space. Original takes up an entire page, but it can be printed in any size as long as the text remains legible. It would be possible to fit four to six on one page.

I'd love to see the face of a xian when reading that.  No doubt they'd have some excuse like "Satan did it to confuse humans" or "Goddidit as a test".

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

delta658
delta658's picture
User is offlineOffline

croath
Theist
User is offlineOffline
What are the sources of

What are the sources of parallels between Dionysus and Christ?  ie, what ancient greek texts specifically?  Wikipedia seems bereft of references.  I'd love to hear about some of your specific favourite parallels and the historical evidence for these parallels.

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just wanted to say, in

I just wanted to say, in response to the flyer about Dionysus;

I printed out a bunch a while back and have been leaving them various places.  Sometimes i hang around for a few minutes to observe how people respond to seeing them.  Often, the look on their faces is a combination of immediate annoyance, but it changes as they read it.  it's like they expect it to be a Christian flyer, then upon discovering that it probably isn't, they usually take it with them.

I wonder if any of them have found their way here due to seeing one.

Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

croath
Theist
User is offlineOffline
If I saw that, I'd come here

If I saw that, I'd come here looking for more information on the Dionysus-Christ similarities.  Where are they?  For that sort of thing, you'd want to quote the ancient texts that you get the information from.

justafool
justafool's picture
User is offlineOffline
Royal Rumble of the Aeon!

if ya do wanna use it and need any changes made or any mispells I made or anything, email me, I got it saved as a .psd and can edit it real quick if needed