New Sam Harris Book

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
New Sam Harris Book

Mr. Harris writes:
Many of you have urged me to tackle the growing problem of Christian fundamentalism in the United States. Many of you have also requested that I write a book that is more easily digested than The End of Faith, a book that can be handed to a religious believer in the spirit of, “Please read this and get back to me.” In my new book, Letter to a Christian Nation, I attempt to fulfill both of these requests. The book can be read in a little over an hour. Listen to the RRS interview with Sam Harris, here.

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline
Already pre-ordered it

Already pre-ordered it Smiling

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Got it preordered, and we've

Got it preordered, and we've got him coming on the show in conjunction with the book. Smiling

You can submit questions to Sam in this thread.

Nick
User is offlineOffline
Sounds awsome!

Sounds awsome!Smiling

Equilibrium
Equilibrium's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cool, i'll get it when it

Cool, i'll get it when it comes out in stores. Kind of a hassle to get packages to college Smiling

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
He's going to be promoting

He's going to be promoting this book tomorrow on Freethought Radio.

http://www.ffrf.org/radio/podcast/

Hard to listen to it live, but they have their shows (usually about 45 minutes) available to download by the end of the week usually.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
God has commanded that I

God has commanded that I order it.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Purchase through that link

Purchase through that link supports the Squad! If you can't see it GET FIREFOX! (click Firefox link on left)

Raiderrr
Raiderrr's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.myspace.com/503361

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just finished reading The

I just finished reading the Letter to a Christian Nation. It's amazing how many items he has in the book that are the same things we have been disussing here for the past few weeks. It's a good compilation of most of our current arguments. It should be required reading for anyone wanting post here.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

reason_passion
Rational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
read the book!!!!

I cannot stress this enough: EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ HARRIS'S NEW BOOK!!!!!!

Buy a dozen copies and give it to family and friends. This is a big wake up call to anyone sitting on the sidelines. These people are for real and anybody dedicated to reason and a civil society has to call religious ideas for what they are, damaging and inherently wrong.

Every one of your relationships to man and to nature must be a definite expression of your real, individual life corresponding to the object of your will. -Erich Fromm

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I read it last night. It was

I read it last night. It was great, but much shorter than I expected. It only took me about 2 hours to read!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I finally got a chance to

I finally got a chance to read Letter to a Christian Nation.

Brilliant. Straightforward. Rational.

Just plain common sense.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
This book should be placed

This book should be placed in every pew in every church across the country. Fabulous. Smiling I'm in the process of reading literally, hundreds of scientific journals right now for my research and it was sooooo....relaxing reading Sam Harris' book. I loved it. It's kinda funny cause it took me less time to read his book than some of these 3 page scientific journals on molecular kinetics hahahaha....

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I read it 3 times already.

I read it 3 times already. It is so easy reading, but so good.

Danny Doomsayer
User is offlineOffline
Hello everyone, What do you

Hello everyone,

What do you guys make of Harris' op/ed in the LA Times?

Head-in-the-Sand Liberals

Let me make a couple things clear about the reason I ask as well.

I'm by no means a Democratic apologist. I'm personally much further 'politically left' than anyone currently elected to serve in the US so I'm not questioning the fact that he's bashing Democrats. I bash the Dems all the time, and frankly wish more people did so.

I'm also not questioning the danger of the dogmas the fuel religious hatred. Terrorism is clearly a problem and is in part, even in large part, a result of religious hatred. That's indisputable.

What I'm questioning is that as I read through the op/ed I got a sense that Harris is suggesting that war is in fact the proper response to all of this. I haven't read the book yet so I don't know if he expands on this topic within Letter to a Christian Nation.

What's your take?

Peace