God exists because our perceptions are reality. uh-oh

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

Allex Spires writes:

Quote:
I believe in God. I believe that there is a force, conscious or not (prove it otherwise)

Burden of proof is on you.

Quote:
that controls all existing things and maintains them within itself and can destroy on a whim without the least bit of thought or provocation. I believe that there is a "being" that is supreme, that is all knowing and was and controlling and forcing. I call this being The Universe.

Why did you just redefine Universe? I must posit you did this because you have a deep seeded desire to believe in god, and will redefine already defineable terms to satisfy your needs. It would be no difference than if I said....

I believe in a god. This god is so powerful that all people who rest upon it will be held up by four legs. I call this being a chair.

Quote:
Everything that is in any way involved with the universe is god for we are all connected through the material energies that make us up... as Carl Sagan put it, paraphrased, the stars are all made of us stuff and vice versa.

Interesting redefinition. If it makes you feel better to call it God fine, but you probably shouldn't waste my time with this nonsense.

Quote:
I think this is a perfectly rational faith.
pick on me in your hate mailbag.

There is no "faith" that is rational. You need evidence to prove your claims. Not only did you redefine said terms, you have no evidence to back them, specifically the "all knowing" claim. I believe Carl Sagan also said the Universe is unconscious... he'd be rolling in his grave (if that were possible) had he heard your usage of his statement to make your case. I wouldn't call this a hate mail piece, but it's going into the mail bag.

Quote:
Why do you need scientists to prove that there is no God?

We don't. Theists need people to prove there is a god, until then it's ridiculous to believe in one. It's not up to scientists to prove the negative.

Quote:
We all know that god exists within the mind and that without thought of him there is no god, like Superman.

Fuck no, we don't all know that a god exists within the mind. Drop the term god, and tell me my mind is the most powerful thing I have, and I might be able to agree with you.

Quote:
Superman exists in the minds of people everywhere.

This is nutty bro. Just nutty. If it's metaphor, feel free to clarify, if it's not... it's fucking crankery.

Quote:
Clearly, perception is reality for what is reality but what you perceive?

Perception isn't reality. For if it was, there would be no need for us to save people from their perceptions.

Quote:
God exists as much as I do.

Then so do Re-Alits, Snarfwidgets, Flying Spaghetti Monsters, and Invisible Pink Unicorns..... oh shit... look out there is a Smurf on your shoulder about to eat your face off!!!! I perceived it, it must be real!!!

Quote:
I exist as a brain operating a biomechanical suit but what do you perceive me as?

I perceive you as a man who has the need to claim god exists because that specific word has been brainwashed into you, and no matter how intelligent you've gotten you haven't been able to shake it. I just perceived it, it must be reality!!!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

Faith is irrational by its very definition. :roll:

CynageN
User is offlineOffline

You know, after just watching The Cosmos series for a second time after reading the book, this just seems trivial. All I have to say to this guy is; grow up. Superstition is getting us no where.

Equilibrium
Equilibrium's picture
User is offlineOffline

The force is an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.

Prove it otherwise.

"Character is higher than intellect... A great soul will be strong to live, as well as to think."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saganite
User is offlineOffline

don?t defile the word of Sagan you Twonk. WE are made of star stuff, not the other way around. Carl! this guy pisses me off.

I vote YES http//underdogryan.blogspot.com/2005/09/should-men-fling-poo.html

GrimJesta
GrimJesta's picture
User is offlineOffline

Equilibrium wrote:
The force is an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.

Prove it otherwise.

Obi-Wan dude... Obi-Wan. The proof is in the puddin' and that puddin' tastes like a lightsaber chewing through Lucas' head for that Prequel crap...

Wait, does this count as a thread hijack? uh, sorry. Moving along.

Perception isn't reality. Anyone that has more than 100 level Philosophy classes under the belt knows that, and I'm a damned Empiricist! Perceptions is but one lens through which our sences interact with "reality". And there's never been any perception of God; if so where? I want to see It.

And that "Superman" theory falls under the "God is that which nothing greater can be thought or conceived" umbrella, which I have several issues with.

-=Grim=-

No Nyarlathotep, Know Peace.
Know Nyarlathotep, No Peace.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline

Faith: Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Rational: Consistent with or based on reason; logical: rational behavior.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby