AUDIO RESPONSE to KAT live and let live atheist

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

Kat writes:

Quote:

I know being athiest is good and all..but there r a lot of ppl who need god. they need the hope that something that controls everything, will save them from their misery. god is what make weak ppl feel secure and safe. u know there isnt a god but u shouldnt try to wake others from a beautiful dream they chose to live in.

Kat's profile: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=21684985

Our response: http://www.rationalresponders.com/media/Mailbag/Kat6-26-06.mp3

Comment and discuss in this thread.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

So we should never tell kids that Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real?

Nick
User is offlineOffline

GOD. "Live and Let Live" Atheists are the worse, most dishonorable, idiotic people on the face of this earth. If you're a Creationist. than you have an excuse: You were brainwashed. Plain and simple. But if you are one of these people, you choose to do absolutly nothing to help the world or others. You are a selfish, cowardly little prick. GOD! Evil

Wilson: "We were afraid that if you found out you solved a case with absolutely no medical evidence you'd think you were God." House: "God doesn't limp."

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline

My opionion differs here. These kind of atheists are the pacifist ones: they wouldn't want to hurt people around, and they think that through proof against theism, they will.

I personally respect such people, as I once found myself in this situation in my early years. What these people need to learn, however, is that they are merely ignoring the problem, and they are not giving relief for anyone. Many bad things have happened in the name of religion, and many more still happen today. That attitude only leaves things the way they are.

These people will not change anything, and that's exactly what should happen: change. We are in an age where extremism is dangerous, and change would bring something new and possibly more quitet into the picture.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

Samuel
Samuel's picture
User is offlineOffline

I think Sam Harris would write the best responce to that message. This is totally in his main thesis.

There is nothing wrong with challenging people on their beliefs. If someone said they had a dimond the size of a horse buried in their back yard, you'd ask for evidence and/or rational arguments supporting that. If all they said in responce was "it makes me happy to believe it's there" then you'd challenge them on their faith.

Why is it taboo to do this when it comes to religion? Why does religion get this free pass to bullshit?

We don't have to if we don't want to, but we can, and we should help point out logical, rational views and refute illogical, irrational, irresponsible ones.

If a person still wants to believe in God, fine, we can't force them out of that, but we can, and we SHOULD, OFFER the other side, the logical side, the HEALTHY side.

We should offer the healthy side. What's wrong with doing that? What's wrong with telling people the problems with taking eroine? If a person still wants to take heroine I feel it should still be their right, but we should still INFORM them, if we are to call ourselves good people.