It makes me sad that atheist activists do what they do.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
It makes me sad that atheist activists do what they do.

Quote:
----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Nov 16 2006 11:27 PM

I have a question for ya , Why do atheist activest bash christianity .

Well I suppose everyone has their own reasons. For me on a personal level I have some close friends I grew up with and close family members that got lost in religion. They live a world full of fantasy and delusion, and they've alienated themselves from reality. This wasn't due entirely to their own inability to think critically, they were assaulted by religion. Religious beliefs come at us from all angles, and many of those beliefs don't have appropriate proof behind them to accept them as true, yet people believe these things because religion has permeated every crevice of society, one might say becoming religious is the ultimate peer pressure (many times the "peer" is a parent). Of course seeing religion affect so many people that aren't in my immediate family is also something that fuels my "bashing" of it. It's sad to see how much ignorance religion breeds, and for my own part, I think someone needs to help, so I help.

Quote:

It brings tears to my eyes.

I'm sorry you get upset. I get upset too on the other side of the coin. However neither of our sets of tears offer any sort of truth value to the beliefs we hold, they are simply emotions, and there's nothing wrong with that. I genuinely feel bad that you get upset over it. From my perspective, were you never to have been indoctrinated into Christianity, you wouldn't be upset over my activism, and there would be no tears. I blame your tears on religion.

Quote:
I dont hate them I pray for them.

I don't hate Christians either, I care greatly for them. I care greatly for humanity in general, if I didn't I would keep my thoughts to myself and go about enjoying my life. I don't spend 100 hours a week speaking out against religion because I hate religious people, I do it because I hate religion. You know... don't hate the playa, hate the game? I hate the game. And to be honest, hate is likely too strong a word.

Quote:
I dont understand like how they are wanting to end CHRISTmas and Easter.

Ending Christmas and Easter are merely symbolic of ending religion itself.

Quote:
Why cant they just leave us alone we do nothing at all to bash them.

Are you asking the same questions of George Bush leaving Iraq and Afghanistan alone? Think about it. Should we have left Hitler alone? And yes, the harm that religion has caused on the world is worse than any single war, not to mention that the actual wars themselves are often motivated by religion.

Quote:
It breaks my heart more and more I just dont understand.

I don't suspect that you'll be any less heartbroken, but at least I hope you'll now have a slightly better understanding.

Quote:
Are they heart less people whom like to crush people and make them live for nothing and give them false hope in the belief of nothing.

Nope.

Quote:
They tear down good people good CHRISTIAN people and change their minds. Why?

We don't change Christians minds, we give them the tools to change their minds on their own. They change their minds on their own because when given the tools to look at religion honestly and critically any rational person can see that the claims of religion are full of shit.

In Rationality,

Brian Sapient

Voided
User is offlineOffline
My view on this issue is

My view on this issue is well I'm not sorry I have balls (or whatever the ladies want to have).

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote:My view on

Voiderest wrote:
My view on this issue is well I'm not sorry I have balls (or whatever the ladies want to have).

Yeah, I have ovaries!!!! W00t!

Eye-wink

Um, anyway, yeah, this person took it really hard. It makes me feel bad when people get SO sad that we dare to question these unprovable things. In a lot of cases, yes, religion HAS added to people's lives. Helped them out, made them happier. But if a child has an imaginary friend, even if the child is made "happy" by it, we still realize that it isn't real. The kid may get upset at you for denying his friend, but that still doesn't make the imaginary friend REAL. And if there was a whole GROUP of kids trying to enfore rules dictated by his imaginary friend, I'd call it ridiculous. I'd speak out. Meh, just my 2 cents.

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline
For me, one of the saddest

For me, one of the saddest things about religion is that it's just not true, but an elaborate fantasy that makes people feel like they're protected against the vagaries of life. It's like Dumbo and his feather. Why make up something to screen out reality? Why not deal with life the way it is?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:
Quote:
----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Nov 16 2006 11:27 PM

I have a question for ya , Why do atheist activest bash christianity .

Well I suppose everyone has their own reasons. For me on a personal level I have some close friends I grew up with and close family members that got lost in religion. They live a world full of fantasy and delusion, and they've alienated themselves from reality. This wasn't due entirely to their own inability to think critically, they were assaulted by religion. Religious beliefs come at us from all angles, and many of those beliefs don't have appropriate proof behind them to accept them as true, yet people believe these things because religion has permeated every crevice of society, one might say becoming religious is the ultimate peer pressure (many times the "peer" is a parent). Of course seeing religion affect so many people that aren't in my immediate family is also something that fuels my "bashing" of it. It's sad to see how much ignorance religion breeds, and for my own part, I think someone needs to help, so I help.

Quote:

It brings tears to my eyes.

I'm sorry you get upset. I get upset too on the other side of the coin. However neither of our sets of tears offer any sort of truth value to the beliefs we hold, they are simply emotions, and there's nothing wrong with that. I genuinely feel bad that you get upset over it. From my perspective, were you never to have been indoctrinated into Christianity, you wouldn't be upset over my activism, and there would be no tears. I blame your tears on religion.

Quote:
I dont hate them I pray for them.

I don't hate Christians either, I care greatly for them. I care greatly for humanity in general, if I didn't I would keep my thoughts to myself and go about enjoying my life. I don't spend 100 hours a week speaking out against religion because I hate religious people, I do it because I hate religion. You know... don't hate the playa, hate the game? I hate the game. And to be honest, hate is likely too strong a word.

Quote:
I dont understand like how they are wanting to end CHRISTmas and Easter.

Ending Christmas and Easter are merely symbolic of ending religion itself.

Quote:
Why cant they just leave us alone we do nothing at all to bash them.

Are you asking the same questions of George Bush leaving Iraq and Afghanistan alone? Think about it. Should we have left Hitler alone? And yes, the harm that religion has caused on the world is worse than any single war, not to mention that the actual wars themselves are often motivated by religion.

Quote:
It breaks my heart more and more I just dont understand.

I don't suspect that you'll be any less heartbroken, but at least I hope you'll now have a slightly better understanding.

Quote:
Are they heart less people whom like to crush people and make them live for nothing and give them false hope in the belief of nothing.

Nope.

Quote:
They tear down good people good CHRISTIAN people and change their minds. Why?

We don't change Christians minds, we give them the tools to change their minds on their own. They change their minds on their own because when given the tools to look at religion honestly and critically any rational person can see that the claims of religion are full of shit.

In Rationality,

Brian Sapient

Brian, I do agree with everything that you have said.

However, why does it even take that explination to get through?

If a friend tells you your balls are hanging out of your shorts, do you shout "YOU HATE ME" or do you thank them for pointing out your error?

Theism is much the same. I do admire those who take the time to deconstruct every detail. I wish I had that patience. I dont.

It is simple to me. If someone comes up to me and claims that a giant potato chip told Hidie Clume to have sex with them, and the next response from them was, "You cant see it". "She said it but now denies it".

That is the same as talking donkeys, 72 virgins, Lillith and my claim that I actually have a sense of humor. MERELY CLAIMS! No evidence!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog