Libraries refusing to carry Sam Harris' book

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Libraries refusing to carry Sam Harris' book

This is from a friend of mine on myspace. She emailed me this.

Date: Sep 21, 2006 11:46 AM

Emailed response I got from our Public Library regarding Sam Harris' books. I was looking for Letter to A Christian Nation, and found they had nothing by Sam Harris.

Thank you for your contacting us about Sam Harris's new book. The item was released September 19, 2006 according to our book supplier. We do order books suggested by our patrons, but only after consideration of topic, timeliness, price, popularity, longevity, and such. One way we do this is by looking for and reading professional reviews that may have run in newspapers, journals and magazines. Another method we use is to order items directly from reputable publishers and distributors that the library has established relationships with.

In looking over Mr. Harris's books I did not locate any professional literature reviews. The only reviews I found were on his website, and the "unsigned" review seemed questionable to me.

Based primarily on the fact that I could not locate any independent reviews, I have elected not to purchase the item you have asked about.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

GodStoleMyFriends
GodStoleMyFriends's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess they failed to

I guess they failed to notice that Sam Harris is a New York Times Bestselling author. Or the praise "The End of Faith" received:

Natalie Angier, The New York Times Book Review
"An important book, on a topic that…should not be shielded from the crucible of human reason..."

And yet the library does not have "The End of Faith."

I think it's safe to say the person who responded to your friend was a theist and that she didn't order the books because they pertain to atheism.

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank."-Woody Allen

"Atheism is life affirming in a way religion can never be."-Richard Dawkins

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would agree.

I would agree.

GodStoleMyFriends
GodStoleMyFriends's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The only reviews I

Quote:
The only reviews I found were on his website, and the "unsigned" review seemed questionable to me.

Also, I am really annoyed by this comment.

Ok, you are a New York Times Bestselling author who's career may be put into jeopardy if you sign your name to the endorsement of an atheist book that challenges most of America. I can understand why he would not include his name and the librarian calling this review "questionable" sounds as though he or she is playing the old game of theists demonizing atheists. You know, "He's an atheist author...so this unsigned review must be a trick because no one really likes his books!"

finger

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank."-Woody Allen

"Atheism is life affirming in a way religion can never be."-Richard Dawkins

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whoo, Hooo! I just checked

Whoo, Hooo! I just checked and my library system has three copies ordered!
http://unicorn.shreve-lib.org/uhtbin/cgisirsi/hsndkmYwli/MAIN/224340139/123

I was afraid that I was going to have to donate my copy to them. I think I'll go put a business card with contact information in the book for our local atheist group in them.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Last time I went to my local

Last time I went to my local library I found only two books on atheism, both written by theists. I think Ill go down there armed with some "reputable" reviews, and his position on...what was it???..the NY Times Best selling books??

Last time I checked (before it was released), "Letter to a Christian Nation" was #12 at amazon.com .

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Isn't that one a bit new to

Isn't that one a bit new to have been reviewed anyway?

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
He sent out manuscripts to a

He sent out manuscripts to a few select folks to look over. That's where the pre-publish reviews come from.
Last time I checked all authors do that. Eye-wink

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
I asked her to see if they

I asked her to see if they carry the book "Of Pandas and People: The Central Question of Biological Origins". They don't carry that either. So..perhaps it's not conscious discrimination. Either way.....fyi.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

politicalhumanist
politicalhumanist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Local libraries in Olympia,

Local libraries in Olympia, WA, (community colleges, universities, and public) have books by Dawkins, Harris, and other atheist authors. The God Delusion has over 100 requests at the public library. Oh yeah, this is a liberal town. Smiling

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
politicalhumanist

politicalhumanist wrote:
Local libraries in Olympia, WA, (community colleges, universities, and public) have books by Dawkins, Harris, and other atheist authors. The God Delusion has over 100 requests at the public library. Oh yeah, this is a liberal town. Smiling

Must be the northwest. There's 29 holds on The End of Faith here (me being one of the holds). I just wish I knew these people since in this town I rarely meet anti-theists.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
MarthaSplatterhead wrote:I

MarthaSplatterhead wrote:
I just wish I knew these people since in this town I rarely meet anti-theists.

Maybe you could organize a discussion group on the book.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Oh yeah, thanks for the

Oh yeah, thanks for the Meet-up site, Voiderest. You know there are actually like three people around here that are atheist. Well actually like in a 50 mile radius. I think there are probably more but too many stoners out here to organize anything. I mean, this is Oregon.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I order all my freethought

I order all my freethought books either from the ffrf, here, or amazon. Amazon has almost everything. I did recently order one from the lulu site that was recommended in Freethought Today called "Serving Compassionate Conservatives:A Cookbook" - basically an attack on the religious right. I'll post a thread on how it is once I read it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline
My library system only has

My library system only has one book on atheism. I think it's one of the Prometheus anthologies, and it's usually out. Which is all right for me, since I do have a copy somewhere. But not so cool for anybody else in the taxpaying public who might become interested in the subject.

I live north of Tampa, FL. It's pretty well religious around here.