Blasphemy? Challenge

jimbabwean
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Blasphemy? Challenge

Greetings friends

According to the Blasphemy Challenge website, you’re supposed to say "I deny the Holy Spirit" and that is supposed to be the unforgivable sin mentioned in Mark 3:28-29 “Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"”

Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit is not insulting Him, or saying that you don’t believe that He exists. To understand what it is to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, you have to understand the work of the Holy Spirit. His work is basically to help us understand how we get forgiven, namely, by trusting in Jesus:

John 16:8-9 (Jesus speaking about the Holy Spirit) “And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;”

So to blaspheme the Holy Spirit requires that one reject Jesus continually. This is unforgivable, because forgiveness comes through faith in Jesus.

God will still forgive you if you want his forgiveness.

TOPIC ADJOURNED:

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Hi jimbabwean. I think

Hi jimbabwean. I think they're aware of the theological arguments against the Blasphemy Challenge. The purpose of the stunt, as I understand it, was simply to show atheists and fence-riding Christians, "We're not afraid." Whether it's sound on this point from every interpretation is subordinate because they're tossing out the whole lot of it.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
jimbabwean

jimbabwean wrote:

Greetings friends

According to the Blasphemy Challenge website, you’re supposed to say "I deny the Holy Spirit" and that is supposed to be the unforgivable sin mentioned in Mark 3:28-29 “Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"”

Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit is not insulting Him, or saying that you don’t believe that He exists. To understand what it is to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, you have to understand the work of the Holy Spirit. His work is basically to help us understand how we get forgiven, namely, by trusting in Jesus:

John 16:8-9 (Jesus speaking about the Holy Spirit) “And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;”

So to blaspheme the Holy Spirit requires that one reject Jesus continually. This is unforgivable, because forgiveness comes through faith in Jesus.

We don't want his forgiveness, and we do deny him continually. We deny him forever. So in either sense of the word, we are doing it correctly.

There are people who believe the view that denying him once is all you need. So you can't forget those.

And all of that aside, the point of the video is that we don't believe and we don't care. We're not afraid of a non-existent god.

Suck it, Jesus! =D

Thanks for your input! 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
In other words, us saying

In other words, us saying we don't believe in the holy spirit doesn't count unless we actually DO believe in the holy spirit.

Or:

Quote:
(T)o blaspheme the Holy Spirit requires that one reject Jesus continually.

If by "reject" you mean "not accept as lord and savior," then that pretty much decsribes all the atheists on this website, all the atheists in America and around the world, and roughly 2/3rds of the world population - in other words, not just the atheists, but all Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddists, Jains, Aborigines, Native Americans, Shinto, Scientologists, Rastafarian and all other non-Christians.

Quote:

First of all, prosyletizing on this board will get you nowhere. You're wasting your time.

Second of all, in order for God to forgive us, God needs to exist. Demonstrate that he exists and we'll talk.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the RRS.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Off the topic, I was

Off the topic, I was wondering something. Can a person commit a mortal sin, or crime let's say, against another; not apologize to them for it; but seek forgiveness from Jesus, and still get into Heaven?

Klarky
Klarky's picture
User is offlineOffline
So you say! I can also pull

So you say! I can also pull shit out of my ass on demand.

Look... You are just telling us what you believe, no more substance than that.

You're also trying to run before you can walk. You don't get to identify the holy ghosts job description, until you have made a positive Identification of this thing called the holy ghost itself.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
To atheists:

To atheists:

I'd just like to submit that it's not 100% clear that he's a theist at this point. He sounds like one, definitely, but he hasn't actually made a claim about his position. He's just used the bible and Christian beliefs to discuss the blasphemy challenge, which is what the blasphemy challenged is based on.

The last little line about God forgiving us if we want does sound very theistic, but he could also just be summarizing. He does sound theistic, but I wouldn't be hasty.

That being said, I don't know if the ridicule should begin just yet.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.