How about Deicides Glenn Benton?

DoubleB
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
How about Deicides Glenn Benton?

I know that guys like Proclaim, and Greydon Square generate a lot of buzz with RRS members, and I totally dig what they do even as a metal head!  But as far as music is concerned, metal has always been on the frontlines of fighting theism!  Why not get someone like Glenn Benton from Deicide on the show?!?

BB

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Because Benton is not

Because Benton is not exactly a poster boy of moral exuberance. He is a traditional Satanist and his music resonates with a very small, generally elitist, segment of the population. That's definitely not the sort of publicity that a Humanist organization wants.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

DoubleB
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
Insidium Profundis

Insidium Profundis wrote:
Because Benton is not exactly a poster boy of moral exuberance. He is a traditional Satanist and his music resonates with a very small, generally elitist, segment of the population. That's definitely not the sort of publicity that a Humanist organization wants.

Very true. He's definately a bitter person, which is why I identify with him and his music. I'm not a satanist by any means, but his views on the absurdity of religion are compelling.

BB

Daniel Metalhead
User is offlineOffline
Benton is a complete joke!

Benton is a complete joke! I can't even begin to explain how silly that man is. Benton is not a legit Satanist and I'm willing to bet on that. I have mp3s of him on a Christian radio show and he was so outrageously ridiculous I was embarrassed. He can't be taken seriously and has a dangeous influence on the feeble. It's a good thing he has toned down over the years otherwise he'd be in jail or dead.

But in spite of all of his actions, Deicide served as a great stepping stone for me to free myself of religious thought when I was attending Chatolic school around 6th-8th grade and aided me into discovering a wonderful world deep within the underground metal scene. 

UberBob
UberBob's picture
User is offlineOffline
I kinda agree with the two

I kinda agree with the two responses above me. Mr Benton, I doubt is a true Satanist, let alone would a man with an inverted cross carved onto his face make us look 'good.'

I dig metal too. Check Aeon's 'God Gives Head in Heaven.' The lyrics are a riot, and the music is very aggressive .

"Sometimes even the wisest of man or machine can make an error."

-Optimus Prime

DoubleB
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
UberBob wrote: I kinda

UberBob wrote:

I kinda agree with the two responses above me. Mr Benton, I doubt is a true Satanist, let alone would a man with an inverted cross carved onto his face make us look 'good.'

Any dude willing to burn an inverted cross into his forehead is angry enough to verbalize his distaste for organized religion.  I can't speak for you, but I'd be eager to pick his brain.

BB

hellfiend666
Rational VIP!
hellfiend666's picture
User is offlineOffline
Double, I totally agree (but

Double, I totally agree (but you knew that, lol).  The problem I've noticed is that Benton seems to be good at writting lyrics, and cracking wise on stage, but in interviews, not so good, lol.  I would still like to hear his input though.  I'm not completely convinced he's a real satanist, though.  I'm about 75% convinced, but he tends to use a lot of tongue-firmly-embedded-in-cheek comments to give that impression. I know there are a lot of early interviews with him that he proclaims his devotion to the dark lord and all, but that has to be taken with a grain of salt given the scene he was trying to get ahead in.  If you wanted to get a big record deal based on a christian scene you'd definitely be pushing the jesus as much as you could, so he may have just been being as extreme as he could early on.  I'm a death metal singer as well, and if it hadn't already been done and it would further my career, I'd be branding an inverted cross on my forhead as well! lol

The darkness of godlessness lets wisdom shine.

UberBob
UberBob's picture
User is offlineOffline
DoubleB wrote: UberBob

DoubleB wrote:
UberBob wrote:

Any dude willing to burn an inverted cross into his forehead is angry enough to verbalize his distaste for organized religion. I can't speak for you, but I'd be eager to pick his brain.

BB

O, you can speak for me on this. I would love to hear Mr Benton rant and rave on this!

Trey Azagthoth might be a cool guest. Maybe even Isahn from Emperor.

"Sometimes even the wisest of man or machine can make an error."

-Optimus Prime

Blackthorn
Blackthorn's picture
User is offlineOffline
As far as I know, Isahn is

As far as I know, Isahn is some sort of Pagan, since I read in an interview that he preposed to his wife according to some kind of religious tradition...I could be wrong though, so please don't hold it against me.  As for Glenn Benton, I think the man is a bit of a moron.  I love Deicide's music, but it's clearly pro-Satan, and having him on the show would only further the false conviction that atheists are devil-worshippers.  I've never understood why Glenn is so anti-Yahweh yet so supportive of Satan, when he argues that those who worship Yahweh are weak or stupid.  Why just invert the doctrine if you can see that it's false to begin with?  If he wants to be 'evil', why not just be a fundamentalist Christian?