"You're an atheist because _____"

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

How many of us have been told be believers that we're atheists because we just want to be rebellious, or we don't want to live under the restrictions of a god, or we're just immoral, or some other stupid reason (feel free to say other you've heard)? No, how about because your religion is self-contradictory, not very moral when you really look at it, and contradicts science and common sense! Laughing out loud

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

ellechero
ellechero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an atheist because I

I'm an atheist because I have better things to do than wonder to which set of silly myths I should mold my life.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
I am an atheist because that

I am an atheist because that is my status quo. It is the status quo of all who were not indoctrinated into one of the pestilent faiths which litter the world. I am an atheist because I refuse to deny the obvious.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:"You're an atheist

Quote:

because there's no god.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote:Quote:"You're an

AiiA wrote:
Quote:

because there's no god.

Your reason is tautological: you may as well have said "I am an atheist because I do not believe in god." Of course, I agree that there is no god.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
I became anti-christain

I became anti-christain before I became an atheist. The bibles God simply does not exist. Millioms have gone to hell, due to not hearing Christs "Good news". If the bibles multple personality God really wanted people to be saved then we would all have heard the gospel of Christ. The worlds many generations after Christ have not. Christs sacrifice and good news is contradictory and absurd.

Another reason, among many absurdities and naked assertions from the bible, is that the bible asks us to have faith. Many people do not believe because Gods book is naked of evidences for its claims and is incoherent and absurd...which would not be the case if the bibles God was omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevelent. A God would not need a book anyways, nor would a God need human agents to inform other humans about God and his plan. It is absurd.

I am an atheist because a God is supernatural. What can we understand or really say about an alleged being that is beyond our understanding, beyond nature? Not subject to nature?

To exist is to have an identity. Identity have a nature and a things nature is recognized and defined by its limitations. A God supposedly is unlimited, no limitations and so no nature, leaving God without an identity. To exist is to have an identity. Can we even coherently imagine a thing that exists without any limitations?
If God is beyond nature then for us God is beyond any coherent identification.

There is no God as far as I can tell, and gut feelings can be logically assumed to be psychological reactions to a fable we were told is true. We were conditioned to believe by other human beings. Peoples God concepts are incoherent anyways when we give them any real thought. Faith is not thought it is feelings that we have learned to have in regards a mythology.

That is why I am an atheist.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Insidium Profundis

Insidium Profundis wrote:
AiiA wrote:
Quote:

because there's no god.

Your reason is tautological: you may as well have said "I am an atheist because I do not believe in god." Of course, I agree that there is no god.

Yes. The fact that there is no god needs to be tautologically expressed repeatedly. Smiling just as often as the 'believers' repeat their garbage.

The erroneous belief that there is a god is tautologically expressed for the sole purpose of drowning out the fact that there is no god; how else are the shysters going to convince the intellectually ill equiped masses to put money in the collection box?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am an atheist because, I

I am an atheist because,
I found the xian god no more powerful and visible than the ancient gods of Greece and Rome.
I also found the virgin birth utterly ridiculous. Mary who was raised in the temple must have had sex with one or more of the male occupants. Lets see here... death by stoning or claim divine fetus....hmmmm

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Angelic_Atheist wrote: Mary

Angelic_Atheist wrote:
Mary who was raised in the temple must have had sex with one or more of the male occupants.

What makes you think there was a Mary?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok ok ok

Ok ok ok
Assuming Mary existed to give birth to the alleged Jesus

At the time, I did not doubt the existence of the two.

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

Diaphanus
Diaphanus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am an atheist for

I am an atheist for several reasons. Here are three of them:

1. Noncontingent faith is belief without justification, belief based on desire of what you don't have, and the forfeiture of the expectation of the desired justification. I find that very bleak, and I could not find comfort in that.

2. Religion invents its own problems and needs and then sells itself as the Solution to those things. It punts off unanswered questions to a "higher plane" without answering them.

3. Noncontingent faith, alleged divine authority, and non-thinking work together make a dangerous combination. The noncontingent faith does not "do" justification, so one theological position going by noncontingent faith cannot justify itself any more than another.

I could say much more, but then this post would be very long...

I am Antie at the Infidelguy.com forums. Avatar made from this image.