Some people can't do without religion.

Jutter
Jutter's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some people can't do without religion.

I don't subscribe to the whole "what if those poor people can't cope without..." phillosophy, if only because I flat out refuse to consider myself "superior".

There are millions doing without religion, and doing just fine (or at least no worse), and they're not some kind of 'ubermenchen'.

~Let us be reasonable~

You want to claim there's such a thing as "the supernatural"? Fine. I hereby declare you to be "paracorrect" in doing so. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They could find some other

They could find some other philosophy, or at least a hobby. Or a non-religious charity to work for.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
My friend is a

My friend is a paraplegic/amputee in a wheelchair and has enough trouble coping without dropping a belief in god.  A couple of weeks ago, I explained that the Christian religion has been proven false.  She didn't take that very well.  She still isn't really speaking to me.

http://tinyurl.com/2ju7ly <--thread 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

qbg
User is offlineOffline
Even if some people really

Even if some people really need their religion, that doesn't mean that the rest of us should stick with it.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Agreed. I'm in a bit of a

Agreed.

I'm in a bit of a turmoil over my strong feelings against religion and the idea that we should live and let live.  I find myself vacillating a lot.  I just posted something on another forum that quite probably will get me flamed: All fundamentalist Christians are untrustworthy.

That's a pretty bold statement, but I've spent the last twenty years trying to give fundies a chance and have had nothing but negative experiences with them.  I don't like them.  I don't trust them.  Am I a bigot?  I don't know.  All I know is that they've hurt me for the last time because I'll never let another one beyond my defenses.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Jutter
Jutter's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: They

MattShizzle wrote:
They could find some other philosophy, or at least a hobby. Or a non-religious charity to work for.
yeah, and I for one don't intend to leave anyone hanging. I'm here to talk to or listen.

Imagine that; people talking and listening to... people. 

~Let us be reasonable~

You want to claim there's such a thing as "the supernatural"? Fine. I hereby declare you to be "paracorrect" in doing so. 

Jutter
Jutter's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: My

Iruka Naminori wrote:

My friend is a paraplegic/amputee in a wheelchair and has enough trouble coping without dropping a belief in god. A couple of weeks ago, I explained that the Christian religion has been proven false. She didn't take that very well. She still isn't really speaking to me.

http://tinyurl.com/2ju7ly <--thread

Seems to me religion only made it harder for your friend to cope with reality. I think this really is the kind of 'can't do without' that's on par with addiction. Never really solving anything, and ultimately causing extra problems. He/She rejected a real human friend over it.

~Let us be reasonable~

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jutter wrote: Seems to me

Jutter wrote:

Seems to me religion only made it harder for your friend to cope with reality. I think this really is the kind of 'can't do without' that's on par with addiction. Never really solving anything, and ultimately causing extra problems. He/She rejected a real human friend over it. 

It looks that way.  Sigh.  Maybe I should learn to STFU a bit more.  But the whole religious "thing" is a central part of my life.