Creationism Promotion In Missouri Public School

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

Creationism Promotion In Missouri Public School Violates Constitution, Says Americans United
Friday, May 5, 2006

Church-State Watchdog Group Demands That Potosi Public School District Drop Plans For Creationist Assembly Presentation

A Missouri public school district?s plan to sponsor a high school assembly by a creationist lecturer violates the U.S. Constitution and must be dropped, according to Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

In a letter today to Superintendent Randy Davis and other school officials, Americans United demanded that the Potosi R-III School District cancel a high school assembly and middle school classroom visits this Monday by Mike Riddle of Answers in Genesis (AIG). AIG is a Kentucky-based fundamentalist Christian ministry that attacks evolution and argues for a literal reading of the biblical Book of Genesis.

?It is wrong for public schools to promote religion as science,? said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, Americans United executive director. ?The Constitution does not permit it, and the U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled against it.

?Parents, not school officials, should make decisions about their children?s religious upbringing,? he continued. ?This school district has stepped over the line.?

According to the AIG Web site, Riddle is in Missouri to make presentations on Sunday at Potosi Community Church and at Potosi Southern Baptist Church.

According to the school district?s Web site, AIG is scheduled to make a presentation of two hours and 45 minutes at the Potosi High School on Monday morning. Sources say Riddle plans to visit classrooms at the local middle school later that day.

In the letter to school officials, Americans United Assistant Legal Director Richard Katskee asserted, ?We write to inform you that the scheduled assembly and classroom presentations cannot lawfully be presented in the public schools and that allowing them to occur would be a substantial constitutional violation?. Simply put, public schools may not lawfully seek to debunk evolution for religious ends, nor may they teach religious views of the origins of life. The May 8 assembly and classroom presentations by Answers in Genesis will do both.?

Americans United and the Pennsylvania ACLU brought the recent Dover ?intelligent-design? creationism lawsuit in Dover, Pa., that resulted in a sweeping defeat for a local school district that introduced religious material into the science curriculum. In December 2005, a federal district court ruled that the Constitution bars promotion of religion in public schools.

The Dover School District is paying $1 million in court costs and attorneys? fees as a result of losing the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District case.

Americans United is a religious liberty watchdog group based in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1947, the organization educates Americans about the importance of church-state separation in safeguarding religious freedom.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

Only in the US do the schools try to make students more stupid. ((( :roll: )))

shorty
User is offlineOffline

if they do that they should have sapient come in immediatly after and preach logic and reason and rook hawkins on biblical errancy and yellow_number_five on scienceand engage live debate... now THAT'S fair

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline

Or Just have sap, yeller and rookie stand behind him, every time some BS spills out, blast of an air horn. Smiling

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

shorty
User is offlineOffline

actually its 3 against 1 and its not fair because creationism is logically impossible

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline

MattShizzle wrote:

Oh, I can disapprove with that. Christianity is compulsory in grade school and high school in my country.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

spentley
User is offlineOffline

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:

Oh, I can disapprove with that. Christianity is compulsory in grade school and high school in my country.

I can remember when I was in elementary school they taught us evolution was merely theory and that creationism is what people believed and was said to be true.

I live in Canada by the way.

God is the omnimax creator by definition of major religions. If there is evidence that the religion is incorrect about the nature of reality, then there is evidence that the God the religion defines does not exist.

Serinya_Tooley
User is offlineOffline

One reason im glad im homeschooled.It really got on my nerves in middle school cause one of the teachers had the ten commandments on her wall.She wasnt supposed to and i hated that teacher so it was tempting to go tell the principal that they were there just to be mean.lol.If the school did something like that i would refuse to go to it.I would stay in class and read about something that was actually true...

Many have made a trade of delusions and false miracles decieving the stupid multitude.