The Bible Code

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The Bible Code

If you don't know what this is, it's the belief there is a hidden code in the Bible predicting all sorts of historical events. I say this is doubly irrational - not only believing the bible has value beyond some interesting stories, cultural relevance, and SOME positive morality, but also believing there's a hidden code there. First of all, a book that size you can find virtually anything this way (it's been done with Moby Dick.)

This brings up another point - I'm really getting tired of channels where they should know better (History, Discovery, Learning Channels) including pseudoscience - though the History Channel seems to be the worst offender - lots of Jesus stuff, aliens, psychics, bigfoot, etc. Is it just ignorance on their part (I don't think so), or is REAL science/history in this country just that unpopular and bullshit so popular? That's just sad. Sad

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Take a look at this

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That was pretty good.

That was pretty good.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:If you

MattShizzle wrote:
If you don't know what this is, it's the belief there is a hidden code in the Bible predicting all sorts of historical events. I say this is doubly irrational - not only believing the bible has value beyond some interesting stories, cultural relevance, and SOME positive morality, but also believing there's a hidden code there. First of all, a book that size you can find virtually anything this way (it's been done with Moby Dick.)

This brings up another point - I'm really getting tired of channels where they should know better (History, Discovery, Learning Channels) including pseudoscience - though the History Channel seems to be the worst offender - lots of Jesus stuff, aliens, psychics, bigfoot, etc. Is it just ignorance on their part (I don't think so), or is REAL science/history in this country just that unpopular and bullshit so popular? That's just sad. Sad

Mattschizzle,
I've noticed the same thing. The Natioanl Geographic channel even does this but not to the same extent. They have a series called "Is It Real". They usually do offer the viewpoint of a skeptic but the pseudoscience usually get most of the air time. During the fundraising times the PBS channel will stoop to this low level just to get viewers and subscribers. On the one hand, I can't blame them. They are a business and need to make a profit but they should have some level of respectibality they won't go below for money. Ijust haven't found their low water mark yet.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's one on the

Here's one on the qu'ran:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-154520203395340760

One thing that makes the [insert holy text here] code ideas absurd, and therefore really funny to me, is that numbers by themselves don't really mean anything. Just because you can find some arbitrary constant that presents some equivalently arbitrary result doesn't prove anything.

In the aforementioned video they talk about 19 being the number of GOD, but I could probably take some text and through the same working find out that 42 is the number for SPACE MEAT.