Monsters

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Monsters

This thread is about Bigfoot/Loch Ness Monster/Chupacubra/Mokole Mbembe/etc. Believing in these creatures is irrational - especially when (like in the case of LNM) people admitted to manufacturing the evidence.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Bigfoot myth has an

The Bigfoot myth has an admitted creator too. Before he died, he talked about how he did the foot prints and such.
He confessed 5-10 years ago.

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
This same thing occured with

This same thing occured with the crop circle phenomia. There were interviews and demonstrations by the people that did it. What did the believers do? Did they admit that they had been fooled? No, they rationalized that this only proved that some of the circles had been created by humans.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
1. If there was in fact a

1. If there was in fact a creature that big, loud & apparent in the woodlands...we would have discovered it already.

2. Why do "space ships" keep landing in crop fields? And what's up with the perfect symmetry of the circle?

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I saw this documentary on TV

I saw this documentary on TV a while back...

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_article.asp?id=248

Quote:

April 6 2001 — British scientists in search of the yeti have found the best evidence yet for the existence of the legendary creature — a strand of hair, the DNA of which has proved impossible to identify.

The tall, nocturnal, hairy creature who many say dwells around the forests and mountains of the Himalayas supposedly inhabits the hollow of a cedar tree in the Kingdom of Bhutan, on the eastern side of the Himalayas.
Working on a documentary for Channel 4, the British expedition team found a long black hair on the tree bark after Sonam Dhendup, the King of Bhutan's official yeti hunter for the past 12 years, led them into a forest where locals claimed to have discovered a piece of a mysterious skin.

The results of DNA analysis on the hair follicle have surprised even skeptical researchers.

"It's not a human, it's not a bear, nor anything else that we've so far been able to identify," Bryan Sykes, professor of human genetics at the Institute of Molecular Medicine in Oxford, told New Scientist.

In the documentary, one eyewitness — a former royal guard called Druk Sherrik — described his encounter with the Migyur, as the Buthanese call the yeti. "It was huge. It must have been nine feet tall. The arms were enormous and hairy. The face was red with a nose like a chimpanzee."

In the past, traces of hair and footprints believed to be from the yeti were in fact from bears, langur monkeys, himalayan goats and pigs. But the British finding raise the possibility that the sample belongs to an unknown species.

"We have never encountered any DNA that we couldn't recognize before," said Sykes, a pioneer of DNA identification as the first genetist to extract DNA from archaeological bone specimens.

Inside the cedar tree, Rob McCall, an evolutionary biologist from the University of Oxford, found scratch marks resembling claw. Nearby, he saw odd footprints just a couple of hours old. They showed a short print with a narrow heel and toe pads.

"Yeti was an official protected species in the Kingdom of Nepal until the mid late 1950's, so someone obviously believes in them," says Lama Surya Das, one of the foremost American Lamas in the Buddhist tradition and author of Wisdom Tales from Tibet.

"I've also seen scalps at monasteries high in the Himalayas, but I think they belonged to species of Himalayan red bear. I personally believe that the Yeti, like the Native American's legendary Susquatch (Bigfoot) are mostly figments of the imagination."

Thoughts? Debunkings?

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've seen stuff like

I've seen stuff like that...the problem is it's written in a biased fashion without citing specific evidence. It's a cool idea, but I would not readily go along with it until there's some hardcore evidence.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
We got a bigfoot trap in

We got a bigfoot trap in Applegate, OR. I think is was built in the 70s. I went there once and it is huge. Supposedly if he/she were to walk in there, the door would've slid down and caught him. But now the door is welded up in the air so no one gets hurt.
Ever since I came to live here, I have heard all kinds of alien/bigfoot stories. One made the paper when a doctor with his family were out driving in the country and saw small light orbs following them as they drove.
Sad to say though, it's one of those things- I gotta see it to believe it. I also hear lots of ghosts stories around here and people that think there's a ghost living in my own house. Smiling I like stories so I listen without calling them on bullshit.

I wonder if other countries have a bigfoot. I lived in the Philippines for a couple of years and never heard about any supernatural stories.

Just one thing that is strange to me though is the vortex. Puzzled I have been to the one here in Oregon. It is bizarre and it made my head hurt, then I went to sleep for 3-4 hours after I got home. Maybe this can be explained with science, though.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:I've seen

peppermint wrote:
I've seen stuff like that...the problem is it's written in a biased fashion without citing specific evidence. It's a cool idea, but I would not readily go along with it until there's some hardcore evidence.

How is it biased? The evidence was sited, a hair folicle, that I watched them retrieve from inside a huge hollowed out tree.

The professor who tested the hair works alongside of Richard Dawkins at Oxford: http://www.oxfordancestors.com/the-team.html

Bryan Sykes is considered to be one of the worlds leading geneticists.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not too far off-topic. This

Not too far off-topic. This is an excerpt from one of the funniest books that I have ever read. When you finish it and get to the bottom, click on 'I am Bigfoot' and the story continues. Maybe 20 minutes reading tops.

http://members.tripod.com/~bumbleshoot/nuttiness/bigwife.html

I wrote my own chapter to it, but it mysteriously disappeared. My wife thinks that maybe she accidentally threw it away. However, in the back of my mind, I know the truth. Bigfoot stole my writing.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
You know even though this

You know even though this are made up and have been proven made up isn't there still more proof for one of this things then a god?

jester700
User is offlineOffline
There was a recent show on

There was a recent show on NAKED SCIENCE about nessie. It was originally a hoax as well.