Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Wireless ban on university campus

My university is banning wireless on campus due to 'potiental health issues'

So they are holding a town hall meeting 

http://communications.lakeheadu.ca/events/?display=events&eventid=1540

Town Hall Meeting on the University's WiFi Position

Event Date: October 31, 2007 Time: 3:30 PM Duration: Until 4:30 p.m. Location: ATAC 1006 and 1007 Additional Information: The University community is invited to a Town Hall Meeting with the Administrative Executive Committee, at which Dr. Gilbert, Michael Pawlowski, Dr. Hayes, and Dr. Wang will address the University's WiFi position as well as other matters.  Everybody is encouraged to attend.    This meeting will also be video conferenced to Orillia.       Keep in mind this:
   This meeting will also be video conferenced to Orillia.     *shakes head*  

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That is fucked up. I never

That is fucked up. I never heard of anyone thinking wireless internet was a health hazard - though I have heard the irrational idea that cell phones cause cancer (which has been completely debunked.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think these people have

I think these people have been watching too much Johnny Mnemonic.  So far the evidence doesn't seem to show any corralation to 2.4 ghz (or any normal frequency) and health issues.  However in their defense, there hasn't been all that many years to really show a corralation.  However if we base decisions on what a few fear mongers say and claim, then its no better than religion ;p

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
BBC's Panorama series did

BBC's Panorama series did an episode doing some scare mongering regarding wifi.

I had a quick look but couldn't find the episode online (I'm sure it's out there, but not from my usual sources).  BBC also aired a Newswatch show critisizing the report, this I have managed to find on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flKosgr8IN4