You blaspheme, therefore you believe.

Fateless7
User is offlineOffline
You blaspheme, therefore you believe.

I was watching a Youtube video featuring some old Christian guy talking about the psychological commonalities of atheists and the Blasphemy Challenge-- I don't remember his name.

In response to the Blasphemy Challenge, he says that people do it because it seems dangerous, and it only seems dangerous because we know it's dangerous (to challenge God to strike us down and sent calamities). We know that it's dangerous because, deep down, we know God exists. Therefore, the atheist says, "I don't believe in God... and I hate him."

So, if I blaspheme against Zeus on Youtube, and challenge him to strike me down with a lightning bolt, that means I know Zeus exists as well.

I need to set up a Youtube account and issue the second blasphemy challenge (Deity Showdown). It would include a clip of the guy saying that because we blaspheme, we know God exists; so, we must then acknowledge that we, as atheists, are capable of calling all gods into existance by blaspheming them.

So here's the plan: we blaspheme all the gods we can think of, meaning they all exist, and then we watch them fight to see who can smite who first.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
the video you're

the video you're referencing, I believe, is of George Grant - a prominent Christian Reconstructionist/Dominionist ... see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-1z6Kz5dTE

For those who don't know, Christian Reconstructionism/Dominionism is a post-milennialist, Calvinist movement within conservative American Protestant Christianity that seeks to create "God's dominion on earth" - as opposed to pre-milennialist, tribulation/rapture-believing Evangelicals like, for instance, Tim LeHaye or Pat Robertson.  Christian Reconstructionists seek to institute (or re-instate) Old Testament law and punishment (for instance, stoning  "the guilty" for "crimes" such as adultery, blasphemy and homosexuality), replace the secular institutions of our local, state and federal government with Christian theocratic institutions and men who adhere to CR/D.  Dominionists believe that Christ will not return until a Christians have, in a sence, taken over the world, and instituted a Christian Kingdom for Christ to rule once he returns; this is in contrast to much of what conservative evangelicals and fundamentalists believe ...

For info on the intellectual authors of CR/D (R.J. Rushdoony, Gary North and George Grant) see here:  http://www.theocracywatch.org/

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Fateless7 wrote: In

Fateless7 wrote:
In response to the Blasphemy Challenge, he says that people do it because it seems dangerous, and it only seems dangerous because we know it's dangerous (to challenge God to strike us down and sent calamities). We know that it's dangerous because, deep down, we know God exists. Therefore, the atheist says, "I don't believe in God... and I hate him."

Or...we know it's dangerous because of how Christians will react.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
CONTEXT, is what we are

CONTEXT, is what we are talking about here.

It IS dangerous, as the previous post stated, based on how the believer will react.

However, it is not dangerous to blaspheme God just as it is not dangerous to blasphem Micky Mouse or Superman.

But you do have to be weary of those who hold fiction as truth and are willing to kill and die for it. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: CONTEXT, is

Brian37 wrote:

CONTEXT, is what we are talking about here.

It IS dangerous, as the previous post stated, based on how the believer will react.

However, it is not dangerous to blaspheme God just as it is not dangerous to blasphem Micky Mouse or Superman.

But you do have to be weary of those who hold fiction as truth and are willing to kill and die for it.

Hey, dude, blaspheme the Kryptonian Spirit and I'll kill you to death! Erm, I mean, pray for you.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
When i do my blasphemy

When i do my blasphemy videos,i'm gonna curse every single deity i know of.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Raki wrote: When i do my

Raki wrote:
When i do my blasphemy videos,i'm gonna curse every single deity i know of.
I did all 22 major religions