Spirituality??? I don’t get it

rationalfriend
User is offlineOffline
Spirituality??? I don’t get it

I am a counseling intern and this word gets tossed around quite a bit at the university. Obviously it’s important for clients to get a handle on what the meaning of life is to them but does that translate into spirituality? To me it’s too subjective of a word to be taken seriously. “something larger than yourself” Can someone please explain to me in an objective way what that means? The word started out as a religious word and then later was added to the secular world so for me it doesn’t mean anything. The true meaning of life exists in the physical world for me and that’s not spiritual.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm.

I'm an atheist, and I don't see a problem with talking about spirituality, because I do think there is such a thing as secular spirituality. It's very subjective though, as you said, so I can only give you this for what it's worth.

For me, spirituality is sort of synonymous with "emotional profundity", to put it as concisely as possible. Waking up next to someone you love is spiritual. Stopping to appreciate a sunset would be spiritual. Standing in awe at the size of the Grand Canyon would be spiritual. Things like that.

I don't believe that people actually possess spirits though, and I definitely don't believe that these feelings are instilled in us from any supernatural source.

I would say that something was a "spiritual experience" in the same way that I would call that quiet time just before nightfall "the magic hour". Of course, I don't really believe that one hour out of the day is magical. It's just a poetic way of commenting on the specialness of the situation.

I suppose that, in an indirect way, I could understand someone saying that spirituality is the meaning of life. I mean, all of us are looking for those profound feelings (Love, awe, peace, etc). We simply go about getting them in different ways. If someone is claiming that spirituality is the meaning of life, it might be appropriate to ask them the means to their spirituality. The means to their spirituality would most likely be something approaching objective.

As for the term "larger than yourself", I'd again say it merely applies to profundity. A secular thinker would probably mean it more in a figurative sense, but a religious thinker would probably sincerely attribute any profound feelings to a supernatural source.

I have no idea if any of this came close to answering your question, but I hope it helped a little.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Archeopteryx,

I agree with Archeopteryx, but I think his explanation only touches the surface.  There is more to spirituality than just emotional profundity.

Archeopteryx wrote:
I don't believe that people actually possess spirits though, and I definitely don't believe that these feelings are instilled in us from any supernatural source.

When a supernatural spiritualist talks about spirits, they mean something that actually exists, though in a spiritual world. A friend of mine insists that he has 'spirit guides', for example.

There is a very interesting naturalistic interpretation of this. I don't know of anyone else who made this connection, but anyway, here's my interpretation:

Spirits are memes that are experienced in the imagination, through an intuitive mindset, rather than a rational mindset. A meme in this post is defined as an idea that can be communicated to a person.

What does this mean? Well, if you learn about memes, and how they evolve, you will see their connection to myth and religion. Jesus is a meme, for example. Jesus is an idea (a fictional character) that can be communicated to people (Bible, preacher), and when you experience Jesus in an intuitive mindset (for example, via faith) instead of a rational mindset (skepticism and reason), then you will imagine that Jesus is a real presence. You will experience the 'spirit' of Jesus.

Spirits don't have to be personae, but you would usually anthropomorphize the idea, which is another way of experiencing in an intuitive way. The spirit of anger, deception, healing, etc. So, you attach some personality to an otherwise non-personal idea. This is what I believe my friend is doing when he talks about spirit guides, especially healing spirits.

Spirits can also be interpreted as the idea of a real person, either not present, or passed away. When you are at a funeral, and someone says they feel the spirit of the deceased, you can interpret that as the person intuitively experiencing the memory of their deceased loved one. Also, you can invoke the spirit of someone dead by intuitively expressing yourself through the lens of your memory of them. For example, I made a YouTube video called In the Spirit of Carl Sagan, in which I purposefully state that we need to become more like Carl Sagan, and you could interpret that as meaning that we need to keep Carl's spirit alive in us, by remembering him and trying to live intuitively like him.

You can think of heaven as people remembering the 'spirit' of the deceased with fond memories, and hell is the remembrance of 'spirits' with bad memories. So, Gandhi is in heaven and Hitler is in hell. Actually, hell could also be thought of as not remembering the 'spirit' at all, essentially the destruction of the memory of a person. So, many people who erase their own personalities and become hard-core religionists are actually guaranteeing that *they* go to hell, while the 'spirit' of the religion (Yahweh/Jesus for example) gets 'resurrected' in their minds, replacing their authentic individual personality. (I personally don't think of heaven and hell as good ideas to keep alive, but this interpretation can help you to understand what *some* people seem to mean by those terms.)

The reason people like the idea of spirits being real is because it helps them to tap into their intuitions and to lead their lives by 'good examples'. Whether the examples are actually good is an open question, but anyway....

People can borrow existing spirit memes, or they can invent their own. Psychic mediums can be thought of as inventing their own spirits (like an ancient Atlantean, or some such) and 'living' them in an intuitive way, like a self-induced trance to help them act out a made-up persona.

Other mediums take intuitive cues from their audience members and 'conjure' up somebody's deceased loved one by performing a cold-reading. This could be considered a memetic communication through body language and small verbal cues. A kind of trial-and-error summoning of an idea to mind.

So, that's my naturalistic interpretation of the language of spiritualists. It is valid, in this interpretation, to admit that spirits do in fact exist, and they are in fact physical (ideas actually exist in our brains and books), not supernatural. I have personally found that by using this interpretation, I've been able to have actual conversations with spiritualists without my brain going numb from the woo woo that's mixed in. Before I used this interpretation, none of what they said made any sense to me.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
rationalfriend

rationalfriend wrote:
“something larger than yourself” Can someone please explain to me in an objective way what that means?

If you take memes seriously, and you also acknowledge that *what* people believe will affect their actions, then the idea of a spiritual 'greater than yourself' starts to make sense.

First, imagine the website Google. Does Google run on one computer? No. It runs on many computers in parallel. There's no way a single computer could handle the traffic that Google gets. The deal is that each of the computers running the Google website is basically running the same software. So, the many separate computers, acting together, constitute the 'one' website called Google.

Likewise, imagine the cells of your body. Each of your cells contains an identical copy of 'your' DNA. Each cell is specialized during your physical development, but all together they act in harmony, due to the common DNA code they share, and all together they constitute 'you', i.e. your physical body, made of many separate cells.

Now, imagine a population of people, say a church, who share a core set of ideas, preached to them by a common source, a common doctrine. The memes are essentially shared by many people, and since they are believed (via faith), they will affect the people's behaviour *as a group*.

It is this group behaviour that is a physical phenomenon that could be interpreted as something 'greater than yourself'.

Think about it, a corporation: what the heck is that? Is it the buildings? No. Is it the employees? No. Is it the financial reports and other paperwork? No. But it is all these things combined. Corporations exist, but they exist as a collective of many parts, all working together to have a coherent behaviour.  

Now, you're unlikely to hear a supernatural spiritualist say that a corporation is an example of what they mean when they say 'greater than yourself'. They mean something more intangible. They mean something like 'god' or 'heaven' or a 'spirit world'. But these are just memes, again. Actually, they are BIG memes, probably deserving of their own name, and a good candidate name for such big memes is the memeplex.

An entire myth is a memeplex. The Bible is a memeplex. God, since he's attached to so many other memes, and means different things in different contexts, is a memeplex.

So, when a spiritualist says 'greater than yourself', what they really mean is a really big idea, greater than the 'spirit' of just one person. They also mean that this big idea *does* stuff.

Well, the idea of 'god' certainly does influence people's behaviours, and when a large group, such as the Roman Catholic Church, shares the same memeplex, you will see a big organization doing *big* things, things that *no one person alone* could do. These big ideas are able to start wars, infiltrate politics, cause mass suicides (Jonestown), provide charity to the poor and sick, etc. etc.

So, you can start imagining these memeplexes as real entities, just like Google is a real entity, and your body is a real entity. The 'bigger than yourself' memeplexes are made up of every mind that believes them and acts upon them. We are little computers, and these memeplexes are our shared software, and the network of us working together is a real thing that actually exists in the physical world and is actually 'greater than yourself'.

So, there's my naturalistic interpretation of 'greater than yourself'. Yahweh exists as an entity that has real effects in the world, because many people believe in him and act based on that belief. Another way you could say this is that Yahweh is just a character, and it's actually the 'Holy Spirit' that exists. When you read mythology and investigate religion, this idea will help you visualize and understand the dynamics of large-scale group behaviour. Just imagine thousands of people actually believing the myths and imagine how they would act based on this belief. 

It's actually a kind of scary concept.

And this is why I'm serious about my philosophy of wonderism. I want it to become a memeplex whose role will be to tame and in some cases replace the pathological memeplexes that are plaguing this world. But that's dangerous talk, and maybe it should wait for another time. 

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

rationalfriend
User is offlineOffline
I use to be an

I use to be an individualistic person  Everything decision I made was based on what made my life better. After taking custody of my son I moved to a more neutral stance.  Now I have more of a sense of community which has lead to me living a more complete life. So I guess that’s part of my spirituality. For me I simply discovered what the true meaning of life was for me. It’s still not an objectively defined word to me because of the history behind the word.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Supernatural spirituality

Hi, I've been a fan of the RSS YouTube videos for a while, but this is my first post on these forums. A brief intro to provide perspective:

* Unreligious, bordering on antireligious.

* Raised Chistian, became athiest out of rebellion against the attempt to control me through threats in the name of love.

* Very strong sense of intuition which is quite helpful for all manner of intellectual and interpersonal challenges.

* Trying to develop a fully skeptical and fully rational world view by believing absolutely nothing without strong supporting evidence and without withstanding fierce rational scrutiny. (A very difficult prospect to apply that to *every* attitude and belief.)

I agree with Archeopteryx that spirituality means different things to different people. However, I would like to point out that it's irrational to assume that reality consists only of what we're aware of. James Randi has cast doubt on or outright debunked a lot of proclaimed supernatual practicioners, and it would seem that the majority of the people who make such claims are either dishonest or self-deluded. However, that does not discount the possibility that there are rational people who have seen genuine evidence to support the belief that some form of supernatural phenomenon exists in this world. I would assert that any such phenomenon would not be a contradiction to the laws of the universe, but would merely supercede our current understanding of those laws.

What would you have to experience to believe that there's more to reality and human nature than you had previously assumed? Would it be periodically getting the feeling that someone is watching you from outside of your field of vision... in conjunction with a feeling of where that person is... followed by a 100% success rate at turning to look at that position and seeing someone there looking at you? How about studying and practicing the martial arts concept of chi... and then one day, while bored in class, trying to form a ball of energy and move that ball quickly in an "infiniti" pattern around the front of the room... only to see a girl 5 rows in front of you and two rows to the right suddenly stiffen and then whirl around to look right at you? How about if you were sparring with someone, and just when you were about to lose, they suddenly froze in place for about 30 seconds allowing you to easily and effortlessly defeat them? How about if you stayed up all night playing tetris on the fastest possible setting... a setting where past observers had considered the pieces to be falling so fast that they couldn't understand how you could play at that speed... to discover a few hours later that on that same setting each piece appeared to fall so slowly that it was boring waiting for it to set into place... and then observing that 3 seconds would pass on your watch during the time 1 of those pieces fell... and then discovering an 8 hour discrepancy on your computer's system clock the next day? What if you were running down a hallway at your school late at night and you saw a girl you had a crush on... and you decided to stop running... and over the next 10 seconds you drifted to a complete stop without falling and without touching anything except the air around you?

What if you had experienced all of these things? Could you still rationally believe that that only things that were real were the things that you could see with your eyes? Of equal importance, who could you tell? There's a big difference between seeing evidence and having evidence to present to others. All of these examples are not deliberate manifestations of any special powers, and as such are not reliably reproducable. How could you tell someone about your belief without appearing to be insane? Even if you were to explain that you had all these experiences, how many people would believe you? How many would think that you belonged in a mental hospital on mind-altering medication?

My point in making this post is to illustrate that some people may have very good reasons for believing that some forms of supernatural phenomena exist, but may not be comfortable fully explaining their belief to someone who they do not share a very strong trust with. If you are acting as a counselor, and if you dismiss their spiritual beliefs out of hand, they may find it difficult to trust you. As for how best to deal with the subject when it's brought up, I would recommend that you keep in mind that:

* The word spiritual can mean very different things.

* Your beliefs are not guaranteed to be correct, nor are their beliefs guaranteed to be wrong.

* People are more likely to feel comfortable trusting someone who is open-minded and will keep what they say in strict confidence.