Football

Crossover
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Football

I haven't seen a football post anywhere on here. am I missing something? C'mon, who likes college football? Any UT Vols fans here??????

My Master has no desire to be merely victor in a debate: he did not come into the world to fight a battle of logic just
for the sake of winning it. --Charles Spurgeon

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Penn State over here.

Penn State over here.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Skins fan here. Too many

Skins fan here. Too many teams in college and no playoff system.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man United fan here. That is

Man United fan here. That is in proper football not the wimps version of Rugby you guys call football.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote: Man

Jacob Cordingley wrote:
Man United fan here. That is in proper football not the wimps version of Rugby you guys call football.

That is the biggest pile of steam. I dare you to allow a 350lb linbacker knock you on your back repeatedly. You fool yourself thinking those pads prevent pain or injury. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Jacob

Brian37 wrote:

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

That is the biggest pile of steam. I dare you to allow a 350lb linbacker knock you on your back repeatedly. You fool yourself thinking those pads prevent pain or injury.

A 350 lb linebacker? Holy Shit. Who has a 350 lb linebacker? 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Brian37

wavefreak wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

A 350 lb linebacker? Holy Shit. Who has a 350 lb linebacker?

Perry weighed a ton. Maybe there arnt any currently. But on average linbackers weigh anywhere from 25 to 100 lbs more than any soccer player.

But soccer fans who bitch about the pads probibly never put on pads or played the game. Pads only reduce injury. But the long term grinding of practice, and head on collisions, even without injury take a long term toll on the body.

I am sure soccer is the same, but I do get tired of soccer fans calling football players whimps. That is bullshit and I doubt they could take repeated hits, even with the pads on. People who claim this have never played the game with pads on in a formal game.

It is a different game and neither are whimps.  

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  but I do

Brian37 wrote:

but I do get tired of soccer fans calling football players whimps.

I think he was making the comparison between rugby and american football not soccer.   Soccer players are massive wimps - you only have to watch the overacted theatricals every time they get tackled to know that.   As for rugby, I'd put my money on a rugby prop forward over a linebacker anyday even if you let the linebacker keep his pads on.

"The World is my country, science my religion" - Christiaan Huygens

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
snafu wrote: Brian37

snafu wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

but I do get tired of soccer fans calling football players whimps.

I think he was making the comparison between rugby and american football not soccer. Soccer players are massive wimps - you only have to watch the overacted theatricals every time they get tackled to know that. As for rugby, I'd put my money on a rugby prop forward over a linebacker anyday even if you let the linebacker keep his pads on.

How common are concussions, neck and spinal injuries in rugby? Seems to me in American football, every play is an opportunity to have a career ending injury. Is this true in rugby as well? 

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, soccer does suck In

Yeah, soccer does suck

In respect to the OP, most here aren't really into sports.  Now, with that said...

C

A

R

D

S

Go Cards!

and

Who dey?  Who dey?  Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals? 

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: How

wavefreak wrote:

How common are concussions, neck and spinal injuries in rugby? Seems to me in American football, every play is an opportunity to have a career ending injury. Is this true in rugby as well?

Rubgy Injuries are apparently quite frequent.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
American football, unlike

American football, unlike rugby, doesn't require the tackler to wrap his arms around the person he's tackling - therefore they can slam into them at full force.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uhhh... Matt, I play

Uhhh... Matt, I play football and that isn't true.

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah.  If you don't wrap

Yeah.  If you don't wrap up, you get put on some back's highlight reel.

I played both ways in high school and college (FB/MLB), and at 265 pounds, I was a pretty big linebacker.  The 350 pound behemoths are usually linemen.

As for Tennessee, fuck Tennessee.

If I'm watching college football, I'm rooting for all of those high profile programs to get pantsed every single week by some team that happens to be more concerned about turning out college graduates than the next crop of NFL players.

Oh, and Peyton Manning is a blubbering vagina.

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a New Zealander, I come

As a New Zealander, I come from a background of Rugby, and I love it!

I wouldn't put 'every play' in the category as a potential or likely career ender.  In american football, head-high shoulder-charges are fine, but a rugby tackle has to be below the neck and involve arms, so that reduces the potential for serious injury a bit.

Don't get me started about soccer.  You might as well call it the grass-diving championships, the 'sport' sickens me.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rugby is a mixed bag. On

Rugby is a mixed bag. On one side they've got no protection and are generally huge brutes. On the other they're only huge brutes. The beauty of Football (American) is the strategy involved. It's just as much a sport of brain as it is brawn. It's the speed chess of high contact sports.

However, I'm more of a basketball fan. Although I haven't followed it in two years, the pure speed mixed with the fast thinking of basketball makes my loins all moist.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sure, there's no strategy or

Sure, there's no strategy or planning in rugby Sticking out tongue

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Crossover wrote: I haven't

Crossover wrote:
I haven't seen a football post anywhere on here. am I missing something? C'mon, who likes college football? Any UT Vols fans here??????

Pffft, sports are too irrational for us atheists Sticking out tongue

American football is the most exciting sport for me, follwed by soccer in a close second.

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote: Sure,

phooney wrote:
Sure, there's no strategy or planning in rugby :P

Compared to other team sports, not really. 

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Compared to other team sports, not really. 

lol, good one.  You're funny Smiling

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote: lol, good

phooney wrote:
lol, good one. You're funny Smiling

By all means, tell me about the brain over brawn aproach of Rugby.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Family_Guy wrote: Oh, and

Family_Guy wrote:

Sweet jesus, I thought I was the only one that felt that way.

Love the game of football, hate the business of it.  I am not a huge fan of any one team but there are ones I favor:

Bears - because they can kill you

Steelers - duh

Rams (only because I live here)

Vikings  - there is no rational reason for this one at all!

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
By all means, tell me about

By all means, tell me about the brain over brawn approach of any professional team sport.  Like the very smart 4'10" basketball players, or the 80lb american football players.  You're not serious, right?

Your argument doesn't seem to make any allowance for the highly skilled, very effective, smaller players in rugby.  Nor does your point of view reflect the success of particular coaches.

Sure, there's no brain function of deciding where to kick the ball, who to pass the ball to, what angles to run, how to trick the opposition into thinking you're going one way when you're going another, what players to play in a particular game, etc, etc, etc.

So yes, your comment is quite uninformed.  I'm not going to comment on american football and soccer too much, though I have problems with the crying that ensues every time there's a strong wind in soccer, and I have problems with the 3 million year debate at every stage of the game in american football, I'm not going to say there's no strategy, or there's no thought involved.

While I don't consider myself well versed enough in american football to make a comment, I feel confident that theatrics plays too large a part in the results in soccer, and thus still sickens me as a sport.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
From what I've seen of

From what I've seen of American football it's extremely stop-start. Obviously it's tactical, but it's not fluid enough. I just found it boring. Football (I really fucking hate the word soccer, it seems derogatory somehow to the beautiful game) is both tactical and extremely fluid, you're not sure what's going to happen next, it's about skill and dexterity more than brute strength, it's quick and exciting.

I love Rugby too (although I've never played it since I'm not the right build). It's very very tactical, but it has the fluidity to make it exciting and not too stop-start (especially Rugby Union (there's two different sports Union and League)). American Football is boring and quite inaccessable. Football on the otherhand is easily accessible and is played in most of the world as the major goal sport (except America and Australia which have their own football games (Aussie rules looks so much cooler than American football). 

I'm sorry if this pisses you yanks off but face it American Football is a pile of wank. 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote: I

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I really fucking hate the word soccer, it seems derogatory somehow to the beautiful game

That doesn't really make sense to me. 

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are you fuckin kiddin me

Are you fuckin kiddin me Jacob?  How many football games have you seen?  How many have you been to?

Soccer isn't that bad of a game, though most of the players act like little kids when they get "hurt".  But football is a sport of aggresion and physicalness - you know, a sport for MEN.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:
Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I really fucking hate the word soccer, it seems derogatory somehow to the beautiful game

It just 'drags down' the 'beautiful game' to the same level of all the other games that are called football around the world.  Now, while I agree that the game universally known as soccer has the best claim to the title 'football' I do question the rationale behind taking offence at other games being called football, and soccer being called soccer. (no offence intended)

I just don't see soccer as having any claim to the title of 'beautiful game'.  Its very grass-diving nature is an offence to all my instincts of sportsmanship.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
When people say football is

When people say football is wimpy it shows they know nothing about it. Soccer isn't? A bunch of guys running around in bicycle shorts? Yeah, that's about as macho as figure skating. ROTF

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: When

MattShizzle wrote:
When people say football is wimpy it shows they know nothing about it. Soccer isn't? A bunch of guys running around in bicycle shorts? Yeah, that's about as macho as figure skating. ROTF

Meh.  This doesn't say much to me.  One could just as easily make the argument about a bunch of pansies running around with a heap of cotton padding to stop them getting a boo boo.

Not that I personally would say such a thing, there are absolutely amazing atheletes deservedly at the top of every sport.  They aren't just there because they are ridiculously massive people, the "ME GRIMLOCK SMASH!" mentality doesn't get you too far at that level.

The question comes down to, what do I personally want to watch?  Rugby does it for me.  It has the continuous flow of play that american football lacks, it doesn't have the pretending-to-be-hurt theatrics of soccer, it has the skill, strategy and planning neccessary of all international team sports.  What more could anybody want?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Family_Guy wrote: Yeah.

Family_Guy wrote:

Yeah. If you don't wrap up, you get put on some back's highlight reel.

I played both ways in high school and college (FB/MLB), and at 265 pounds, I was a pretty big linebacker. The 350 pound behemoths are usually linemen.

If I'm watching college football, I'm rooting for all of those high profile programs to get pantsed every single week by some team that happens to be more concerned about turning out college graduates than the next crop of NFL players.

A blubbering vagina with a Super Bowl ring. Where is yours? Huh?

J/K, I am a Skins fan, not much for me to brag about. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I'm sorry if this pisses you yanks off but face it American Football is a pile of wank.

Borring is watching a ball be kicked around for 3 hours and if you are lucky 1 or 2 points are scored. WOO HOO, a POINT! 

This sounds like the makings of Sunni /Shiite rivalry here.

"Football vs Football"  Tongue out

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
ooh ooh, but 'our' football

ooh ooh, but 'our' football is the REAL football, not yours. INFIDEL!

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
People, people...

People, people... please.... i think we all know the greatest sport ever invented (roman gladiators excluded)

HOCKEY!!! eh?

it takes the awesome aspects of all your crappy sports and mixes them together!

Finess, Brute Strength, Speed, Strategy.... and above all

LEGAL FIGHTING Smile

plus they let you play with weapons!

Yes, i am Canadian >.>

shut up already...

What Would Kharn Do?

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
For a first post, that was

For a first post, that was woefully ignorant.Wink

Hockey is only popular in Canada - its somewhat fringe in the US.

It's an alrite sport, but not part of the discussion. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: For a

xamination wrote:

For a first post, that was woefully ignorant.Wink

Hockey is only popular in Canada - its somewhat fringe in the US.

It's an alrite sport, but not part of the discussion.

You shush xam, be nice to the new guy.  Eye-wink

Welcome to the forums, Doomed Soul.

All sports are pretty lame, imo [ducks to miss all the footballs, baseballs and pucks that are aimed at my head].  I did play field hockey in high school though.   Sticking out tongue

If god takes life he's an indian giver

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: All sports are

Quote:
All sports are pretty lame, imo [ducks to miss all the footballs, baseballs and pucks that are aimed at my head].  I did play field hockey in high school though.   Sticking out tongue

Ducking won't help you - I'm deadly accurate with a football.Tongue out

Did you not like field hockey?  I mean, I'm not a huge fan, but I'm a guy so physics won't let me be. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

People, people... please.... i think we all know the greatest sport ever invented (roman gladiators excluded)

HOCKEY!!! eh?

it takes the awesome aspects of all your crappy sports and mixes them together!

Finess, Brute Strength, Speed, Strategy.... and above all

LEGAL FIGHTING Smile

plus they let you play with weapons!

I dunno Xam, I agree with him.

Hockey is by far the hardest sport I have played and I played a few.

I played football (American), football (European), indoor soccer, baseball, and even roller hockey. Ice hockey far exceeds any of those in difficulty and physical endurance.

(At least to me it does, everyone is entitled to their opinion.)

Cernunnos
Cernunnos's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Rugby world cup is

The Rugby world cup is going on at the moment (USA are playing).

I'm not much of a sports fan but I do enjoy rugby union...I used to play as a hooker...normally a short chunky guy and probably the position most prone to injury as they are in the centre of scrums where all sorts of dirty play take place unseen...punches, gouging, mud in face etc.

My thoughts are in agreement with phooney's rugby is a wonderful brutal game Smiling

Now then,

MattShizzle wrote:
American football, unlike rugby, doesn't require the tackler to wrap his arms around the person he's tackling - therefore they can slam into them at full force.

This is false, the rules governing tackling in rugby merely state that grabbing above the shoulders is not allowed. It is perfectly fine to run straight at/through somebody but not tactically sound Eye-wink. A player with the ball can also perform a hand-off with a straight (non-strinking) arm and a flat palm to a would-be tackler...these rules allow ample room for bruises, cuts, broken noses and worse....but remember that is not always the goal! Smiling

CrimsonEdge wrote:
Rugby is a mixed bag. On one side they've got no protection and are generally huge brutes. On the other they're only huge brutes. The beauty of Football (American) is the strategy involved. It's just as much a sport of brain as it is brawn. It's the speed chess of high contact sports.

Rugby is made up of forwards (the big guys) whose role is more often defensive and backs the fast, agile attackers. Clearly the backs are not as brutish as the forwards Smiling As you are unaware of this basic division I think you should perhaps watch a game before inferring a lack of tactics.

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Football (soccer) is commonly referred to as "the beautiful game" as that was part of the title in one of footballs most famous players autobiography (Pele). Hating the name soccer is probably purely cultural...I dislike it a bit more than the game itself.

wavefreak wrote:

There are frequent injuries in rugby probably very similar to American football but with far more blood. Players are often seen with big blobs of vaseline on their faces to stop bleeding and further damage after being cut.

Players will often get their cuts stitched up during a game so they can continue to play...before rugby became a professional game a welsh player who was ordinarily a Doctor stitched his own face up using a mirror on the touchline before joining in again. 

A more gruesome story that shows the attitude of most rugby players is one about a Kiwi player, Wayne Shelford. In a match against France in 1986 he lost 4 teeth in one of the first 'pile ups' and around the 20th minute he had his scrotum raked by a players studs, his 'pouch' was ripped and one of his testicles was dangling out...he got a field doc to stitch it back up and then continued on in the game! Only to then clash heads in a tackle that forced him to the sideline with concussion.

Please note that the gore is not what makes the game great! 

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Family_Guy

Brian37 wrote:
Family_Guy wrote:

Yeah. If you don't wrap up, you get put on some back's highlight reel.

I played both ways in high school and college (FB/MLB), and at 265 pounds, I was a pretty big linebacker. The 350 pound behemoths are usually linemen.

A blubbering vagina with a Super Bowl ring. Where is yours? Huh?

J/K, I am a Skins fan, not much for me to brag about.

By this logic, Trent Dilfer is exactly as good as the entire Manning family. Smiling

So are Mark Rypien and Doug Williams.

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
I love the logic that

I love the logic that because people might get injured more in a sport makes it a better sport

Sport should be about fast, gracefu,l stylish  thin people (alas that doesnt describe me)  with as few pauses in play as possible = proper football (soccer)

None of this describes American football which more resembles the battle of the somme (including people dresses as WW1 tanks). Fat blokes bash other fat blocks advance 10 metres, get dragged of with their brains hanging about, opposition then repeats

Ripping people's spinal columns out is not sport (well not where I come from anyway)

I'm sure its a cultural thing, someone told me once that Americans don't understand Europeans trying to be quiet and calm (as its a bit girly) 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination

xamination wrote:

Quote:

Ducking won't help you - I'm deadly accurate with a football.Tongue out

Did you not like field hockey?  I mean, I'm not a huge fan, but I'm a guy so physics won't let me be. 

lol.  I liked field hockey but mainly because I got to whack at things with a big stick while wearing a kilt.  It was fun.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote: I love the

mrjonno wrote:

I love the logic that because people might get injured more in a sport makes it a better sport

Sounds about right. I watch (American) football because I want to see someone get decked, demolished, or otherwise knocked the fuck out. It's just like watching the movie Gladiator, only with less blood and no swords. It's the same thing with cinema. Americans want big explosions, fast chase scenes, and gory deaths.

Europeans want to see a "room with a view of a staircase and a pond" type movie.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:
mrjonno wrote:

Sounds about right. I watch (American) football because I want to see someone get decked, demolished, or otherwise knocked the fuck out. It's just like watching the movie Gladiator, only with less blood and no swords. It's the same thing with cinema. Americans want big explosions, fast chase scenes, and gory deaths.

Europeans want to see a "room with a view of a staircase and a pond" type movie.

Which is all well and good until you see what happened yesterday. A linebacker for the Buffalo Bills took a neck injury. They're not sure if he'll ever walk again.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:
mrjonno wrote:

Which is all well and good until you see what happened yesterday. A linebacker for the Buffalo Bills took a neck injury. They're not sure if he'll ever walk again.

"Ave, Caesar, morituri te salutant."

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: lol.  I liked

Quote:
lol.  I liked field hockey but mainly because I got to whack at things with a big stick while wearing a kilt.  It was fun.

...that could be construed wrong in so many different ways.