Oh give me a break!!!!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh give me a break!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070830/ap_on_fe_st/odd_tag_banned;_ylt=AonCXvA_BySzqAQ_i4Au4IWs0NUE

They banned tag? Really? But it's ok folks, because the kids can still run around. I'm sorry, but if some kid complained, he either needs to go sit down or get over it. The future generation is going to be full of spinelss spoiled little brats who get everything they want because they grew up without any strife or challenges. They'll be in for a rude awakening when they get to the adult world, that's for sure.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Running games are

Quote:
Running games are still allowed as long as students don't chase each other, she said.

I can picture it now, kids on the playground just running in different directions because they can't chase each other. It will look like human bumper cars, I wonder how long after the first few kids have concussions will they just ban running altogether. 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
What I dislike is that there

What I dislike is that there are children at all.  It seems to me that we could send babies to a camp, and when they are raised, they can join society.  If we have children in camps, we don't have to worry about them.  That solves everything that could possibly go wrong with a child.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: What I dislike is

Quote:
What I dislike is that there are children at all.  It seems to me that we could send babies to a camp, and when they are raised, they can join society.

There's actually a better option still.

http://www.vhemt.org/

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070830/ap_on_fe_st/odd_tag_banned;_ylt=AonCXvA_BySzqAQ_i4Au4IWs0NUE They banned tag? Really? But it's ok folks, because the kids can still run around. I'm sorry, but if some kid complained, he either needs to go sit down or get over it. The future generation is going to be full of spinelss spoiled little brats who get everything they want because they grew up without any strife or challenges. They'll be in for a rude awakening when they get to the adult world, that's for sure.

I kind of had the idea that when you became an adult, everything magically fell into place.  Still, we are raising a bunch of pussies.  Smiling 

We played hide and seek in the pitch-black darkness when I was a kid.  We were surrounded by a forest.  Once I hid in an unused dog house and remembered halfway through the game there was an excellent chance I was sharing my hiding place with black widows. Smiling  I had to call for a truce because I was totally freaked out. Smiling  The spiders concerned me more than being half-tackled by the person who was "it."

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yay, let's teach kids to

Yay, let's teach kids to deal with conflict by making some authority figure take it away. Kids don't need to learn to accept and handle conflict! They need to feel special Every. Day.  Riiiiight.

When I was in grade and middle school I got teased, ridiculed, and sometimes physically abused. I got over it. I would have rather had that conflict then had a rosy, perfect school experience.  

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not_Your_Therapist

Not_Your_Therapist wrote:

Yay, let's teach kids to deal with conflict by making some authority figure take it away. Kids don't need to learn to accept and handle conflict! They need to feel special Every. Day.  Riiiiight.

When I was in grade and middle school I got teased, ridiculed, and sometimes physically abused. I got over it. I would have rather had that conflict then had a rosy, perfect school experience.  

Precisely.  What's going to happen to these kids when they enter the workforce and meet up with a demanding boss or a stressful workload?  These kids expect anything that might be difficult or upsetting to be dealt with by someone else.  They won't be able to stand up for themselves. 

I read an article somewhere that stated some daycare centers were doing away with 'time out' because it singled children out and made them feel bad.  The kid did something bad and now they shouldn't be punished at all?  Every time I see some little monster creating havoc in a supermarket while their parent pleads and begs them to behave I want to scream. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

ABx
User is offlineOffline
What bothers me the most is

What bothers me the most is the bit about banning/replacing it in favor of activities with "less physical contact". How much less can you get than a single touch? Tag has less physical contact than a handshake. What are we coming to when we are discouraging kids from touching eachother.

Honestly - kids complaining because they were entered into the game unwillingly? I imagine someone running up, tapping the kid on the shoulder and saying "you're it!", in which case the kid learns to simply ignore the game. After all, if they were bullied into playing then that would be a whole other issue. If it were really a wide-ranging issue then a school-wide warning from the principal often works in elementary schools, least the offender be sent to the principal's office.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why have todays parents

Why have today's parents reached the point where they are afraid to allow their children to experience failure or hardship?

I understand parents want what is best for their kids, I know that I want to see my son succeed at everything he does but I also know realistically that is not going to happen. There will be dissapointments and setbacks, but part of your job as a parent is to help your child through these hard times and teach them to be strong and persevere, not to insulate them from everything that may harm them or make them sad.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
No one played tag when I

No one played tag when I was smaller anyway, we played wall ball.

Much more dangerous, much more fun!

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: I can picture it

BGH wrote:
I can picture it now, kids on the playground just running in different directions because they can't chase each other. It will look like human bumper cars, I wonder how long after the first few kids have concussions will they just ban running altogether.

Don't be silly they can still run in place, although they can't run faster then anyone else because then they will make people feel bad.

I'm sill kind of confused how children are being chased against their will. I mean if you stop running no more chase.

I suppose they don't like dodge ball either. I remember my school had us use soft fuzzy balls. They didn't really fly straight though...

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote: BGH

Voiderest wrote:

BGH wrote:

Don't be silly they can still run in place, although they can't run faster then anyone else because then they will make people feel bad.

I'm sill kind of confused how children are being chased against their will. I mean if you stop running no more chase.

I suppose they don't like dodge ball either. I remember my school had us use soft fuzzy balls. They didn't really fly straight though...

I believe many schools banned dodge ball years ago.  Or at least a few did. 

Soft fuzzy balls?  We had that huge red rubber ball that stung like crazy when it hit you. 

I'm not quite sure why this bothers me so much, since I don't have children and don't really intend to.  I guess it bothers me because one day one of these wussy little kids is going to be running my government.

You know what, I think we should just ban sports all together.  It's not fair to the kids who aren't physically inclined...

(If you think I'm serious about that last part you're an idiot)

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently a lot of

Apparently a lot of professors on campuses all over the US are noticing that kids are starting to expect A's, even if they have shit for brains and didn't deserve an A.

Fox "news" apparently things we should blame Mr. Rogers:

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/FOX_Did_Mr._Rogers_ruin_entire_0706.html

We've always got to blame television, don't we. 

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not_Your_Therapist

Not_Your_Therapist wrote:

Apparently a lot of professors on campuses all over the US are noticing that kids are starting to expect A's, even if they have shit for brains and didn't deserve an A.

Fox "news" apparently things we should blame Mr. Rogers:

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/FOX_Did_Mr._Rogers_ruin_entire_0706.html

We've always got to blame television, don't we.

Of course Fox news hates Mr. Rogers, Mr. Rogers taught skeptical thinking. 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aawwww geez!  Banning a

Aawwww geez!  Banning a traditional game like tag?  Granted, there are probably a few that smack and thump in lieu of "tagging" someone.  Those children should be, at the very least, scolded for excessive force.  (Actually, I'd prefer those children be smacked and/or thumped with the same force, but that's not socially acceptable.)

I can empathize with those that are forced to engage in some kind of sport at recess.  I have always been completely and absolutely non-athletic, ungraceful and adamantly unwilling to engage in physical activity as recreation.  However, in grade school we were given no choice as to what to do at recess.  Yes, I was always one of the last chosen for a team which is humiliating.  (I could, however, kick ass in a math or spelling contest.)

Before banning a simple game of tag, perhaps it would make more sense to assure that only the children what want to play are participating.  It's supposed to be RECESS.  Time to play and get the mind off school stuff. 

It's getting so everyone is almost phobic about platonic touching.   That's just sad.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Here in Albuquerque the

Here in Albuquerque the local schools have banned tetherball. Reason being they can get the rope wrapped around there necks and hang themselves.

Heres my thought on that. If a kid manages to hang himself on a tetherball rope then good riddance. Last thing we need is that kid growing up to reproduce more idiots.

Damn Im only 25 and when I was a kid we were crazy. We were always outside. Sunburned and bruises. Plenty of broken bones. Its crazy how the times have changed. I guess now its because everyone is looking for a reason to file a lawsuit.  

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I guess now its

Quote:
I guess now its because everyone is looking for a reason to file a lawsuit. 

Give the man... er... woman... er... couple... a cigar...

or two..

And for the record, I'm with you.  If someone manages to deserve a Darwin Award, good riddance.

Some day, just for fun, go to the store and read warning labels.  When you find a toothpaste tube with the warning "Do not put this in your eye," try to imagine the lawsuit that made it legally necessary.   Gives you a whole new take on humans' "higher intellect."

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
I bought a ladder once. The

I bought a ladder once. The label reccomended that blind people not use that piece of equipment. It wasnt even in brail.

Im the guy in the picture. Just thought it was good to have a picture with my lovely wife in it to. Smile

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, I'll help you

Actually, I'll help you out.  This list is from the first hit I got on google for "stupid warning labels."

Product Warnings:

• "Do not use if you cannot see clearly to read the information in the information booklet." -- In the information booklet. [New!]

• "Caution: The contents of this bottle should not be fed to fish." -- On a bottle of shampoo for dogs.

• "For external use only!" -- On a curling iron.

• "Warning: This product can burn eyes." -- On a curling iron.

• "Do not use in shower." -- On a hair dryer.

• "Do not use while sleeping." -- On a hair dryer.

• "Do not use while sleeping or unconscious." -- On a hand-held massaging device.

• "Do not place this product into any electronic equipment." -- On the case of a chocolate CD in a gift basket.

• "Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking." -- On a toilet at a public sports facility in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

• "Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover." -- On a pair of shin guards made for bicyclists.

• "This product not intended for use as a dental drill." -- On an electric rotary tool.

• "Caution: Do not spray in eyes." -- On a container of underarm deodorant.

• "Do not drive with sunshield in place." -- On a cardboard sunshield that keeps the sun off the dashboard.

• "Caution: This is not a safety protective device." -- On a plastic toy helmet used as a container for popcorn.

• "Do not use near fire, flame, or sparks." -- On an "Aim-n-Flame" fireplace lighter.

• "Battery may explore or leak." -- On a battery. See a scanned image.

• "Do not eat toner." -- On a toner cartridge for a laser printer.

• "Not intended for highway use." -- On a 13-inch wheel on a wheelbarrow.

• "This product is not to be used in bathrooms." -- On a Holmes bathroom heater.

• "May irritate eyes." -- On a can of self-defense pepper spray.

• "Eating rocks may lead to broken teeth." -- On a novelty rock garden set called "Popcorn Rock."

• "Caution! Contents hot!" -- On a Domino's Pizza box.

• "Caution: Hot beverages are hot!" -- On a coffee cup.

• "Warning: May contain small parts." -- On a frisbee.

• "Do not use orally." -- On a toilet bowl cleaning brush.

• "Please keep out of children." -- On a butcher knife.

• "Not suitable for children aged 36 months or less." -- On a birthday card for a 1 year old.

• "Do not recharge, put in backwards, or use." -- On a battery.

• "Warning: Do not use on eyes." -- In the manual for a heated seat cushion.

• "Do not look into laser with remaining eye." -- On a laser pointer.

• "Do not use for drying pets." -- In the manual for a microwave oven.

• "For use on animals only." -- On an electric cattle prod.

• "For use by trained personnel only." -- On a can of air freshener.

• "Keep out of reach of children and teenagers." -- On a can of air freshener.

• "Remember, objects in the mirror are actually behind you." -- On a motorcycle helmet-mounted rear-view mirror.

• "Warning: Riders of personal watercraft may suffer injury due to the forceful injection of water into body cavities either by falling into the water or while mounting the craft." -- In the manual for a jetski.

• "Warning: Do not climb inside this bag and zip it up. Doing so will cause injury and death." -- A label inside a protective bag (for fragile objects), which measures 15cm by 15cm by 12cm.

• "Do not use as ear plugs." -- On a package of silly putty.

• "Please store in the cold section of the refrigerator." -- On a bag of fresh grapes in Australia.

• "Warning: knives are sharp!" -- On the packaging of a sharpening stone.

• "Not for weight control." -- On a pack of Breath Savers.

• "Twist top off with hands. Throw top away. Do not put top in mouth." -- On the label of a bottled drink.

• "Theft of this container is a crime." -- On a milk crate.

• "Do not use intimately." -- On a tube of deodorant.

• "Warning: has been found to cause cancer in laboratory mice." -- On a box of rat poison.

• "Fragile. Do not drop." -- Posted on a Boeing 757.

• "Cannot be made non-poisonous." -- On the back of a can of de-icing windshield fluid.

• "Caution: Remove infant before folding for storage." -- On a portable stroller.

• "Excessive dust may be irritating to shin and eyes." -- On a tube of agarose powder, used to make gels.

• "Look before driving." -- On the dash board of a mail truck.

• "Do not iron clothes on body." -- On packaging for a Rowenta iron.

• "Do not drive car or operate machinery." -- On Boot's children's cough medicine.

• "For indoor or outdoor use only." -- On a string of Christmas lights.

• "Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly." -- On a child sized Superman costume.

• "This door is alarmed from 7:00pm - 7:00am." -- On a hospital's outside access door.

• "Beware! To touch these wires is instant death. Anyone found doing so will be prosecuted." -- On a sign at a railroad station.

• "Warning: do not use if you have prostate problems." -- On a box of Midol PMS relief tablets.

• "Product will be hot after heating." -- On a supermarket dessert box.

• "Do not turn upside down." -- On the bottom of a supermarket dessert box.

• "Do not light in face. Do not expose to flame." -- On a lighter.

• "Choking hazard: This toy is a small ball." -- On the label for a cheap rubber ball toy.

• "Not for human consumption." -- On a package of dice.

• "May be harmful if swallowed." -- On a shipment of hammers.

• "Using Ingenio cookware to destroy your old pots may void your warranty." -- A printed message that appears in a television advertisement when the presenter demonstrates how strong the cookware is by using it to beat up and destroy a regular frying pan.

• "Do not attempt to stop the blade with your hand." -- In the manual for a Swedish chainsaw.

• "Do not dangle the mouse by its cable or throw the mouse at co-workers." -- From a manual for an SGI computer.

• "Warning: May contain nuts." -- On a package of peanuts.

• "Do not eat." -- On a slip of paper in a stereo box, referring to the styrofoam packing.

• "Do not eat if seal is missing." -- On said seal.

• "Remove occupants from the stroller before folding it."

• "Access hole only -- not intended for use in lifting box." -- On the sides of a shipping carton, just above cut-out openings which one would assume were handholds.

• "Warning: May cause drowsiness." -- On a bottle of Nytol, a brand of sleeping pills.

• "Warning: Misuse may cause injury or death." -- Stamped on the metal barrel of a .22 calibre rifle.

• "Do not use orally after using rectally." -- In the instructions for an electric thermometer.

• "Turn off motor before using this product." -- On the packaging for a chain saw file, used to sharpen the cutting teeth on the chain.

• "Not to be used as a personal flotation device." -- On a 6x10 inch inflatable picture frame.

• "Do not put in mouth." -- On a box of bottle rockets.

• "Remove plastic before eating." -- On the wrapper of a Fruit Roll-Up snack.

• "Not dishwasher safe." -- On a remote control for a TV.

• "For lifting purposes only." -- On the box for a car jack.

• "Do not put lit candles on phone." -- On the instructions for a cordless phone.

• "Warning! This is not underwear! Do not attempt to put in pants." -- On the packaging for a wristwatch.

Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Some

Hambydammit wrote:

Some day, just for fun, go to the store and read warning labels. When you find a toothpaste tube with the warning "Do not put this in your eye," try to imagine the lawsuit that made it legally necessary. Gives you a whole new take on humans' "higher intellect."

Warning on a toilet brush "Do not use for personal hygiene" 

On Sears Hairdryer:  Do not use while sleeping.

On packaging for a Rowenta iron:  Do not iron clothes on body.

On a child's Superman costume:  Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
These warnings are insane. I

These warnings are insane. I guess I understand to a point. The companies are trying to protect themselves. But really the person that used a curling iron internally got what they had coming to them. I just dont get it. I assume these labels are on products because someone already has tried these things it says not to do.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
But really the person that used a curling iron internally got what they had coming to them.

I seriously think there ought to be a stupidity clause in the law somewhere. If someone hurts themself in a really stupid way, the company ought to be exempt.

Furthermore, if someone hurts themselves using anything for any purpose other than what the product is specifically marketed for, it ought to pretty much get thrown out of court.

In fact, I've just decided something. Instead of keeping kids away from danger, we should occasionally put stuff in front of them that will allow them to do something really stupid and hurt themselves. Nothing teaches like experience, and that's the way the world is.

If a few don't make it, the gene pool will be stronger for it.

[edit: Oh, I also meant to add a personal anecdote.  A friend of mine worked at the emergency ward on the night shift.  One night, a man came in, bleeding profusely from the anus.  Turns out, he and his friend had stuck a long, narrow light bulb up there to see if his ass would glow when they turned it on.  They didn't take into account the enormous pressure exerted by an involuntary squeeze when the inside of your ass suddenly warms up 40 degrees.]

At least, so says my friend.  Might be just an interesting fib. 

Books about atheism

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
I never had considered this

I never had considered this stuff to be an issue until I heard of the guy some years ago that took mcdonald to court because his coffee was to hot. At that time I was probably in the 8th grade and was damn surprised at what I was hearing. I was sure it was just a one time thing. But it only got worse from there.

I have a 6 year old daughter that is afraid of everything.I dont know what the hell is wrong with that kid. It really kind of pisses me off that she wont try things though. She is a kid and suppose to be having fun and accepting that sometimes she might get hurt. She seems to be getting better lately though. I dont want to raise some damn whining kid. I also have a one year old just learning to walk. She stumbles all over the place. Falling on the floor. Smacking her head into stuff. I just tell her to get up and stop whining lol. Maybe its tough love. I dont know. But I just cant deal with the damn crying all the time. Im not trying to raise some pansy kids....

Going on a bit of a rant here. Ill call it good for now.  

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "Caution: Remove

Quote:
"Caution: Remove infant before folding for storage." -- On a portable stroller.

Ut oh. I think I know where my neice is......I need to make a phone call.

Damn it! This is why they never let me babysit.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Keep out of children~Set of

Keep out of children~Set of kitchen knives.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Aawwww

Susan wrote:

Aawwww geez!  Banning a traditional game like tag?  Granted, there are probably a few that smack and thump in lieu of "tagging" someone.  Those children should be, at the very least, scolded for excessive force.  (Actually, I'd prefer those children be smacked and/or thumped with the same force, but that's not socially acceptable.)

I can empathize with those that are forced to engage in some kind of sport at recess.  I have always been completely and absolutely non-athletic, ungraceful and adamantly unwilling to engage in physical activity as recreation.  However, in grade school we were given no choice as to what to do at recess.  Yes, I was always one of the last chosen for a team which is humiliating.  (I could, however, kick ass in a math or spelling contest.)

Before banning a simple game of tag, perhaps it would make more sense to assure that only the children what want to play are participating.  It's supposed to be RECESS.  Time to play and get the mind off school stuff. 

It's getting so everyone is almost phobic about platonic touching.   That's just sad.

But this experience still taught you that you were good at something.  These days, kids think they don't have to try to get a reward.  They feel like they deserve anything and everything without having to put forth the effort to get it.

It also gives them a false sense of security.  If we protect them from everything they won't know how to react if something does happen.

On second thought, perhaps it doesn't give them a false sense of security.  Perhaps it actually makes them more afraid?  Not sure.

Kids need to run around and get hurt occasionally.  Sometimes I'm amazed I even survived my childhood with the amount of stupid things I've done.  But it was fun and we were creative and active.  I remember my mother yelling at me because I was getting blood on her carpet once.  I guess it was such a common occurence it no longer fazed her.  lol.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Ban tag! They should ban

Ban tag!

They should ban children, smelly, noisy expensive there sole use is for spare parts of adults and with cell stem research they won't even be needed for that

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote: Ban

mrjonno wrote:

Ban tag!

They should ban children, smelly, noisy expensive there sole use is for spare parts of adults and with cell stem research they won't even be needed for that

I dunno. They're small. They could still be useful for cleaning places adults can't get to. At least until we have highly functional robots. 

shikko
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote: I

AbandonMyPeace wrote:

I never had considered this stuff to be an issue until I heard of the guy some years ago that took mcdonald to court because his coffee was to hot. At that time I was probably in the 8th grade and was damn surprised at what I was hearing. I was sure it was just a one time thing. But it only got worse from there.

Actually, I learned a fun fact while working in a law school: that suit was about willful negligence, not about the (admitted) infantilization of America. Over the years previous to this suit, several people had sued McDonald's for burning themselves with coffee served just off the boil. McDonald's got sued AGAIN because they knew their coffee was too hot, knew that people had been burned, and did nothing about it.

I am not a fan of nuiscance lawsuits in any way, but just like that auto manufacturer got torn a new orifice for deciding the cost of settling lawsuits was less than the cost of fixing a safety problem, sometimes they're only dressed as nuisance lawsuits in the media by those who stand to lose.

Quote:

I have a 6 year old daughter that is afraid of everything.I dont know what the hell is wrong with that kid. It really kind of pisses me off that she wont try things though. She is a kid and suppose to be having fun and accepting that sometimes she might get hurt. She seems to be getting better lately though. I dont want to raise some damn whining kid. I also have a one year old just learning to walk. She stumbles all over the place. Falling on the floor. Smacking her head into stuff. I just tell her to get up and stop whining lol. Maybe its tough love. I dont know. But I just cant deal with the damn crying all the time. Im not trying to raise some pansy kids....

Going on a bit of a rant here. Ill call it good for now.

That just sounds like good parenting.

Here's my rant: there is a complete mischaracterization these days about practically every interpersonal relationship. People make a lot of money out of making men and women worry about being a good spouse or parent. Men get it bad because basically nothing is ever expected of us but mistakes and failure (so by and large, that's what we provide), but women get it even worse because they have a very clear picture sold to them about what they should feel/need/want/experience about every phase of life, and if it doesn't fit the fairytale, woe be to the woman.

Good parenting is not keeping your child happy, fulfilled, safe and content. Good parenting is doing your best to raise someone who will be a good adult; everything else is gravy.

That means you help them learn the things an adult needs to know: how to think about others, how to take care of themselves, how to find and recognize their limits, how to deal with adversity. Children who can do this learn the things that help make for capable adults: a broad knowlede base, interpersonal skills, self-knowledge and accurate risk assessment.

Half the problem today is that some people have never been allowed to grow up, so they still act like children: they want someone else to fix all of their problems. They were never taught that they could do these things themselves, so they look to others for validation and a feeling of security.

I want my child to ask for help when he needs it, but also to recognize when he doesn't.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote: That just

shikko wrote:

That just sounds like good parenting.

Thanks. I try. Sometimes when i take my older daughter to the park I just have to sit back and laugh at the other parents. I tell her to go have fun. I just wanna sit back and smoke my cigarettes and do nothing. So she runs off to do her thing. I see so many parents following there kids around the park. Everytime one of these kids try to do something there parents tell them not to. What the hell did they even take them to the park if they dont want them to do stuff that might get them hurt? Im sure all of you remember swinging as high as you can and then jumping. Or climbing up the slide backwards. Or doing whatever things that just might get you a quick trip to the hospital. Its just a damn shame that people want there kids to grow up like this. This whole topic is one of my biggest pet peeves. Only a matter of time before our children have to walk around in big plastic bubbles so they will never get hurt.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote: Ban

mrjonno wrote:

Ban tag!

Could you please provide me with your expert credentials to back up your opinion regarding children or tag banning?  Perhaps a CV?  Sticking out tongue

CrazyRoper
CrazyRoper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Caution: Remove infant

Caution: Remove infant before folding for storage." -- On a portable stroller.

LOL I couldn't stop laughing at that one

"I, on the other hand, do not feel it necessary to construct a lofty meaning for myself. I prefer the style of the butterfly myself. I will eat what I want, flit about aimlessly, and enjoy the sunshine. Then, I will die. " - Nero, RRS Forum User