This made me laugh in the most horrible of ways!

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
This made me laugh in the most horrible of ways!

I feel guilty for even mentioning this but I think the reaction of the Christian that this happened to was so funny I had to mention it.  I was debating a Christian fundie at work with another Atheist Co worker. As usual he was making no sense at all well my friend John who is a bit more of an A-hole than I am did a bit of research and discovered that if you have an Intellectual Disability you can qualify for the special olympics. So based on my friends  logic Christians can qualify. He mentioned this to Jake the fundie(As i call him) and I kid you not he replied with

"Oh yeah well Atheists couldn't even qualify for the real olympics because god won't let them be good athletes" Thats why so many christians play proffessional sports because god gives them talents Atheists don't have." 

I could not stop laughing.  

Note: I am not trying to insult real participants of the special olympics but my friend insisted I post this. Again I want to stress that I am not trying to insult the Mentally handicapped by comparing them to Christians.

http://www.specialolympics.org/Special+Olympics+Public+Website/English/Compete/Eligibility/default.htm

"having one of the following conditions: intellectual disability"

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "Oh yeah well

Quote:
"Oh yeah well Atheists couldn't even qualify for the real olympics because god won't let them be good athletes. Thats why so many christians play proffessional sports because god gives them talents Atheists don't have."

Man. That's lame.

A study found that over ninety percent of physicists are atheist. So I guess that means god won't allow Christians to study science and the universe. Because if they did, the earth would still be flat and we'd all be dying from the black plague.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Comparing the mental

Comparing the mental handicapped to Christians is an insult to the mental handicapped. They probably don't care to be compared to people that value no/low intellectual activity.

"They are forever repeating: 'Do not examine. Only believe, and thy faith wil make thee blessed. Wisdom is a bad thing in life; foolishness is to be preffered.'" - Celsus (an Epicurean philosopher, towards the end of the second century reflecting on Christians and their adherents.)

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "They are forever

Quote:
"They are forever repeating: 'Do not examine. Only believe, and thy faith wil make thee blessed. Wisdom is a bad thing in life; foolishness is to be preffered.'" - Celsus (an Epicurean philosopher, towards the end of the second century reflecting on Christians and their adherents.)

This Celsus guy seems like a pretty cool dude. Too bad he was stuck in the second century. I wonder if someday people will look back on Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins and say, "Too bad they were stuck in the 21st century."

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hope not, as that would

I hope not, as that would imply that things stayed irrational for a long time before getting better.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian creationists need

Christian creationists need their own 'Special' olympics complete with events such as the "Circular Reasoning Race" and the "Strawman Shotput".

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Christian

BGH wrote:
Christian creationists need their own 'Special' olympics complete with events such as the "Circular Reasoning Race" and the "Strawman Shotput".

Heh...you forgot "Mental Gymnastics".

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Wow, just wow. And you

Wow, just wow. And you wonder why Christians get so pissed off.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote:   "Oh

Pathofreason wrote:

"Oh yeah well Atheists couldn't even qualify for the real olympics because god won't let them be good athletes" Thats why so many christians play proffessional sports because god gives them talents Atheists don't have."

Lance Armstrong who won the Tour de France seven consecutive times?

Pat Tillman?

Ted Wiliams?

David Feherty?  (Feherty, a professional golfer, writes (or said?) "If god wanted people to believe in him, why'd he invent logic then?&quotEye-wink

Robert Smith?  (Minnesota Vikings)

Annika Sorenstam?

Dame Tanni Grey Thompson is arguably one of Great Britains most acomplished, and favourite, Olympians. She has won many, many medals in the para-olympian sphere.

On the BBC programme "The Heaven and Earth Show" on August 7th 2005, 10:57 am she said, "When you die, you die, and that's it".

Her (non) religious belief is shown here: http://women.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,17909-1579902,00.html

...and her sporting achievements can be seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanni_Grey-Thompson

The German Annika Walter, Olympic silver medalist in diving, told the public in a television interview after her success that she is atheist. The reporter, Dieter Kurten, promptly asked: "What does atheism mean to you?" Annika Water hesitated for a moment, then she replied: "I haven't been [taught] to believe in god."

Jonathan David Edwards CBE (May 10, 1966 - London, England) is a retired British triple jumper. During his career he won an Olympic Gold Medal and currently holds the world record in the event. He currently works as a sports broadcaster.

'Having left his sport as a dyed-in-the-wool evangelical, Edwards is now, to all intents and purposes, an atheist.'

'"Once you start asking yourself questions like, 'How do I really know there is a God?' you are already on the path to unbelief," Edwards says. "During my documentary on St Paul, some experts raised the possibility that his spectacular conversion on the road to Damascus might have been caused by an epileptic fit. It made me realise that I had taken things for granted that were taught to me as a child without subjecting them to any kind of analysis. When you think about it rationally, it does seem incredibly improbable that there is a God."'

The upheaval of recent months has not left Edwards emotionally scarred, at least not visibly. "I am not unhappy about the fact that there might not be a God," he says. "I don't feel that my life has a big, gaping hole in it. In some ways I feel more human than I ever have. There is more reality in my existence than when I was full-on as a believer.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks

Thanks, I had no idea that these people were atheist except for Pat Tillman. I wish I woulda known them ahead of time. I hate this question. I don't like sounding like I would ever make fun of the disabled.

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
Unless you're in it for

Unless you're in it for sport, debating evangelicals is useless.  They're not believers for the sake of reason or empirical rigor.

Of course you will encounter offensive comment--many evangelicals are hate-driven.  All are seeking continuous validation and will lash out at anyone not forthcoming.

Being older now, I've determined that none of them have a claim on my time.  No debates or friendly chats, firmly and politely enforced.

I've pondered whether evangelicals and fundamentalists may be at their most toxic in deflecting others from meaningful and truthful activity.

An individual call of course, and difficult to navigate within families.  In any event don't let them anger or discourage you.  Your gyroscope is working.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Wow,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No I don't.  I recognize exactly why they get pissed off.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Wow,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Care to elaborate? Bestow us with some wisdom in defense of christian creationists.... 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Cpt_pineapple

BGH wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Care to elaborate? Bestow us with some wisdom in defense of christian creationists....

By no means am I a fan of creationism, but address their  arguments.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: BGH

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
BGH wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

By no means am I a fan of creationism, but address their arguments.

Then you're not  a "real" Christian. lol

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No I don't. I recognize exactly why they get pissed off.

As long as you know. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: BGH

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
BGH wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

So a joke about the fallacious reasoning and logical fallacies they use is innapropriate as far as you are concerned? I am glad you are here to educate me.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple, All kidding

Cpt_pineapple,

All kidding aside, I'd like to hear your rational for being a thiest, yetbeing  against Creationism. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline

BGH wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:
BGH wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

So a joke about the fallacious reasoning and logical fallacies they use is innapropriate as far as you are concerned? I am glad you are here to educate me.

When I said that, I was talking to the topic creator (or at least his friend that made the comment) 

You can joke all you want, but if you say it to their face, they're going to get pissed, which was my point.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Randalllord

Randalllord wrote:

Cpt_pineapple,

All kidding aside, I'd like to hear your rational for being a thiest, yetbeing against Creationism.

He's a pantheist.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
In regards to the topic at

In regards to the topic at hand, then would YEC Christians be able to take creation classes in public school and be protected under the IDEA?

Because I'd rather my taxes not go into that. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: You

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You can joke all you want, but if you say it to their face, they're going to get pissed, which was my point.

I will point out the strawman and circular arguments to them. Some people cannot handle the truth, if they get pissed maybe they will at least think before they use the same argument. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: As long as you know.

Quote:
As long as you know.

Captain, just to be sure, I'm telling you that my tongue is firmly out of my cheek. Everything I'm saying is completely serious.

I understand why theists get pissed off, and I don't mind at all. It's my opinion that everyone, myself included, has an overinflated sense of self from time to time, and being made fun of is a really good way to be brought back from the clouds.

I play in a dart league, and there are times when you would think everyone on my team was enemies. We can be cruel. Really cruel. Yet, we've been together for years, and we're very, very good friends.

My point is that making fun of people can and does serve many purposes. Social bonding is one. Social censuring (Censure, not censor!) is another. There are more, but I'm sure you're capable of doing your own research if you want to learn more about it. I suspect you probably know a lot of it already, and perhaps weren't thinking about it when you made your post.

I make fun of Christians because their beliefs are stupid. You don't like that? I'm sorry. Perhaps you're a more sensitive person than I am. Evolution made some people more sensitive than others, as you well know. Diversity, and all.

RRS makes fun of theists because it gets them riled up. That's what we want. If they didn't consider us a threat, they wouldn't bother with us, and we WANT them to bother with us.

Finally, my own opinion on being made fun of. I think that just about everybody in America has a corncob up their butt and needs to lighten up a little bit. Teasing happens. It's part of being human. If the teasing makes someone furious, maybe there's something to what the teaser was saying. We protest the loudest when grenades land closest to home, after all.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: When I said that, I

Quote:

When I said that, I was talking to the topic creator (or at least his friend that made the comment) 

After reading this, I understand your post better.  You can disregard my previous comment to you if you like.  I understand it was misplaced.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: In regards to the

Quote:
In regards to the topic at hand, then would YEC Christians be able to take creation classes in public school and be protected under the IDEA?

Woah...

The possibilities are staggering.  Churches might one day have to make their entire facilities handi-capable.  All pews would come complete with safety helmets and drool catchers...

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline

BGH wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I will point out the strawman and circular arguments to them. Some people cannot handle the truth, if they get pissed maybe they will at least think before they use the same argument.

If you address their points and they get pissed, that's their problem, not yours. 

If you make a comment like in the OP, and expect them to change their minds, then just wow which is what I was originally pointing out.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: If

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

If you make a comment like in the OP, and expect them to change their minds, then just wow which is what I was originally pointing out.

I understand if you are referring to the OP. Your post came after Mr Rage quoted mine so I thought you were referencing my comment.