VHS's.

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
VHS's.

Recently, I came across my two old VHS copies of The Terminator and The Terminator 2. I've literally had those since I was a boy. I tell ya...if those two tapes could talk....

They've been everywhere. They've lived in three different houses and an apartment complex. They've been under bed's, in closet's and garage's.

I loved the Terminator movies when I was younger. Heck, I still love em' now and every few years from time to time, I like to watch them back-to-back. So I was looking for my DVD copies of the films. (I have so many movies, it's seriously very hard to find my flicks sometimes.) Instead, I came across the VHS copies. They were in a box out in the garage. The two VHS boxes were not that perfect and they were both very dusty....but I wondered...were they still playable?

....And then I could have SWORE I heard Schwarzenegger come alive on the Terminator 2 box and say...

"Unlikely. I'm an obsolete design."

...Just kidding.

Anyway, I decided.....forget the DVD's...I was gonna watch em' the old-school way and how I remembered watching them for the first time. (I was too young to see either in the theater, so the first time I watched both of those movies was on good ol' VHS.)

In general, once in every purple moon, I like to watch old VHS's or play old video games on the classic nintendo (which I also still have).....just for old-time's sake and nostalgia.

Anywoo, I watched both movies on VHS and they both played like it was 1994with no problems at all. I also hadn't seen either films in a long time and forgot how good they both are. Watching them both on VHS made the viewing experience twice as fun. I completely reverted back to childhood. I loved it.

In closing, I was wondering if anyone else still likes to watch films on VHS just for old time's sake and if you have any stories like mine.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote: Recently, I

Zeeboe wrote:

Recently, I came across my two old VHS copies of The Terminator and The Terminator 2. I've literally had those since I was a boy. I tell ya...if those two tapes could talk....

They've been everywhere. They've lived in three different houses and an apartment complex. They've been under bed's, in closet's and garage's.

I loved the Terminator movies when I was younger. Heck, I still love em' now and every few years from time to time, I like to watch them back-to-back. So I was looking for my DVD copies of the films. (I have so many movies, it's seriously very hard to find my flicks sometimes.) Instead, I came across the VHS copies. They were in a box out in the garage. The two VHS boxes were not that perfect and they were both very dusty....but I wondered...were they still playable?

....And then I could have SWORE I heard Schwarzenegger come alive on the Terminator 2 box and say...

"Unlikely. I'm an obsolete design."

...Just kidding.

Anyway, I decided.....forget the DVD's...I was gonna watch em' the old-school way and how I remembered watching them for the first time. (I was too young to see either in the theater, so the first time I watched both of those movies was on good ol' VHS.)

In general, once in every purple moon, I like to watch old VHS's or play old video games on the classic nintendo (which I also still have).....just for old-time's sake and nostalgia.

Anywoo, I watched both movies on VHS and they both played like it was 1994with no problems at all. I also hadn't seen either films in a long time and forgot how good they both are. Watching them both on VHS made the viewing experience twice as fun. I completely reverted back to childhood. I loved it.

In closing, I was wondering if anyone else still likes to watch films on VHS just for old time's sake and if you have any stories like mine.

Yes, I do that every so often.  I like to pull out my old VHS copy of Schizopolis and reminisce.   

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
I need your clothes, your

I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have an "underground" VHS

I have an "underground" VHS copy of John Cameron Mitchell in Hedwig and the Angry Inch at the Jane Street Theater in New York.

Although it doesn't take me back too far (2001?), it still makes me very happy.

VHS tapes can degrade after awhile, though.  One of these days I'm going to have to dig out my analog to digital converter and put it on DVD for safekeeping. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: I have an

Susan wrote:

I have an "underground" VHS copy of John Cameron Mitchell in Hedwig and the Angry Inch at the Jane Street Theater in New York.

Although it doesn't take me back too far (2001?), it still makes me very happy.

VHS tapes can degrade after awhile, though. One of these days I'm going to have to dig out my analog to digital converter and put it on DVD for safekeeping.

As in a bootleg, live version?  That must be awesome!!!  I also imagine it would be worth something.  Hedwig's got quite a cult following.  My uncle even named his Weinaramer 'Hedwig'.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: As in a

pariahjane wrote:

As in a bootleg, live version? That must be awesome!!! I also imagine it would be worth something. Hedwig's got quite a cult following. My uncle even named his Weinaramer 'Hedwig'.

Yup.  As in bootleg, live version.  

Yup.  Awesome.  

It's obvious from the camera work that it the filming wasn't a secret.  Most theaters record a performance or two of each show for their archives (which are tightly guarded due to Actor's Equity rules). 

The degrading of quality is likely due to the fact it was re-recorded from VHS many times. 

Your uncle might have a live Hedwig, but I have the soul of Hedwig!  The theater that hosted the show had a fundraising auction and I bought every last piece of the Hedwig costumes (including leather bustier, wigs and boots). 

Yeah.  I was a little obsessed. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.