Where did Jesus go?

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where did Jesus go?

Ever wonder why all church steeples point to the sky? Because that's where Jesus went. He ascended into heaven to sit at the right hand of God the father almighty. He went up, up, up like a circus balloon beyond the coulds to be with God. So all church steeples point to Jesus's home in the sky.

In many churches on Sunday mornings fundamentalist Christians close their eyes and reach up with their arms towards Jesus in prayer. Apparently they believe he's still up there in the sky where he went 2007 years ago. And they believe that soon he'll come back to earth descending on a cloud.

But in the 1990s NASA launched the Hubble telescope that could see trillions of miles into deep space. They found stars, planets, moons, galaxies, black holes, asteroids, comets, supernovas, but no Jesus. Not a trace of him anywhere. Where'd he go?

Maybe Jesus went into another demension. But if that's the case, why did he need to float up into the sky? Why didn't he just walk through a wall or disappear into thin air like Samantha? The Bible definitely says that Jesus ascended up into the sky. So where did he go?

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're joking, right?   If

You're joking, right?

If you consider the bible fiction, as most at this site do, then Jesus could have gone sideways. Or inside out. Or re-arranged his atoms. Or whatever else you can think of that didn't happen anyway.

If you consider the bible true, then any illogical explanation will do. Like maybe god used "up" because people back then had no other way of conceiving heaven. Maybe he*was* going into another dimension, but for lack of a good way to explain it, people called it up. Maybe he was beamed up to a spaceship. People still raise their hands out of habit and tradition. In Australia, they are pointing down, at least if in America they are pointing up.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Wherever he wants. He's

Wherever he wants. He's Jesus.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wavefreak, Yes. I'm

Wavefreak,

Yes. I'm joking. But at the same time I'm asking a legitimate question.

You give answers from both sides saying that one side believes this way and other side believes another way. That makes sense to a point. But I think there are still people who believe that Jesus actually floated up into the sky beyond the clouds.

When I was a Christian I never questioned stuff like this. I was told that it happened and since everybody else around me also believed that it happened I figured that it had to be true. Otherwise, so many people wouldn't believe it. There was no discussion about it. If the Bible said it happened, then it happend.

But then I began to question it and found it to be absurd nonsense. It simply didn't make any logical sense at all.

I now consider the Bible to be fiction. If there was a historical Jesus, ( and I'm not convinced there was ) then he didn't go anywhere when he died except into the dirt.

But, as I've said, there are still millions of fundamentalist Christians that believe that if the Bible says that Jesus died, came back to life again, walked around, and then ascended up into the sky, then that's exactly what happened.

So I'm asking them this question. If Jesus ascended up into the clouds and someday will come back down on a cloud....where did he go? Where is he now? The Hubble telescope can't seem to find him.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel

RickRebel wrote:

Apparently they believe he's still up there in the sky where he went 2007 years ago.

If you are going to be facetiously precise about dates, you should at least get them right...

Anyways, Jesus went into the sky because he had to escape into the vacuum of space in order to travel (at warp speed) to heaven. He's actually swimming around in dark matter right now. No, really. It's true. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote:

RickRebel wrote:

Wavefreak,

Yes. I'm joking. But at the same time I'm asking a legitimate question.

You give answers from both sides saying that one side believes this way and other side believes another way. That makes sense to a point. But I think there are still people who believe that Jesus actually floated up into the sky beyond the clouds.

Even when I went to a fundie church I never raised my hands. It was just too obvious to me that it was a relic.

Quote:

When I was a Christian I never questioned stuff like this. I was told that it happened and since everybody else around me also believed that it happened I figured that it had to be true. Otherwise, so many people wouldn't believe it. There was no discussion about it. If the Bible said it happened, then it happend.

I never accepted the bible as the unvarnished truth, either. It seemed that the truth value of the bible was irrelevant to the purpose of Jesus.  

Quote:

So I'm asking them this question. If Jesus ascended up into the clouds and someday will come back down on a cloud....where did he go? Where is he now? The Hubble telescope can't seem to find him.

I suspect you will get many different answers even from Christians. Fundamentalists may insist on the "ascended to the clouds" version while other sects will give a more reasonable answer.