Can you add an ignore function to these forums?

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can you add an ignore function to these forums?

There is a certain person (read: troll) who's actions are accepted here and its making me not want to read these forums anymore. If you add an ignore function to the forums, this problem could be solved. I won't name the person's name because he is part of the community and that would be against the forum rules. However, I will say that he is an atheist. (and you probably know by know who I am refering to) So no, I don't want him to get banned from the forums.. I just don't want to go through his posts every time I click on a topic.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dammit!! I didn't know I

Dammit!! I didn't know I was THAT annoying, jeez!

(This statement is in jest unless I am really the one you are wanting to ignore, if that is the case then my statement is intended not as a joke but as an appropriate response.)

Seriously though, I think an ignore function has been discussed before but was ultimately decided against. Either it would be too difficult to add or it is something the administrators feel is unnecessary. Either way, I  do not think they will be adding one anytime soon.

Sorry to bear bad news. 

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's probably the same user

It's probably the same user that I scroll past whenever I see their name. I haven't read a single post they've made in over a month.

If the RRS people don't want to incorporate an ignore function I wonder how hard it would be to make a Firefox extension to ignore users? 

Just a thought. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
mindspread wrote: It's

mindspread wrote:

It's probably the same user that I scroll past whenever I see their name. I haven't read a single post they've made in over a month.

If the RRS people don't want to incorporate an ignore function I wonder how hard it would be to make a Firefox extension to ignore users?

Just a thought.

Is that something you can do?  

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
On one hand it can be a

On one hand it can be a good thing (Ignoring flames)

However, in the end it would not be. People could just set up an argument and ignore counter-arguments. (Like some people I know >_____> )

The point of posting is so everyone can see.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I wish they'd do this too.

I wish they'd do this too. Some threads I don't care about.

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: mindspread

BGH wrote:
mindspread wrote:

Just a thought.

Is that something you can do?

No idea. Smiling

I know there's an extension for Digg that includes an ignore feature.  That's what made me think of it. 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Honestly, how difficult is

Honestly, how difficult is it scroll past a post? You don't need an ignore function on the site. You've already got one in your head.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it me?  It is, isn't

Is it me?  It is, isn't it!  Shoot.  I try not to be annoying and I would really rather not have ALL of my posts ignored.  You never know, someday I might just spew out a nugget of intelligent thought. 

Seriously, I just don't get what the big deal is.  Scroll past the offending posts or avoid clicking on threads the member has started.  Sheesh, if there is such a thing as an ignore feature, I want one in real life not just internet land.  I can think of hundreds of annoying people I have to deal with everyday and I would love to ignore.  Then again, if it is me that you are referring to I guess these people would like to ignore me too. 

Maybe we should all try being a little less rude to one another and accept the fact that annoying people exist and without them we would become the annoying people.  (Unless it is me you are talking about, in which case my purpose in life is to make you appear slightly less annoying.  You should send me a 'thank you' note.) 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Finally a good use for the

Finally a good use for the theist badge. I know it's not me.

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
The reason I want to ignore

The reason I want to ignore this one person is because he posts in every single post I read, but never contributes anything to the discussion. Even though there are lots of theists that made posts that make no sense, at least they don't go to every single post and type stuff like "you are stupid", "this make no sense", etc... I can deal with skippin over threads (I just don't click on em...), but inside a post, it is really annoying. To the point where it annoys me more than people who post 3+ screens long posts (without highlighting important parts ~~~ damn copy paste Eye-wink ).

Btw, its none of the mods... you should never be able to ignore mods.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Is it because he doesnt

Is it because he doesnt contribute anything? Or because he is offensive while not contributing anything?

Just asking because I have yet to contribute anything to a conversation. Tongue out

I dont need you people ignoring me because I cant make a good point. Wink

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mostly because he spams all

Mostly because he spams all the threads without adding anything. If he did that on only 1/4 of the posts I read... then it wouldn't bother me...  His non-contribution is not what bothers me is the spammage of non-contribution and trolling. My guess is he just wants to increase his post count.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
We don't have the resources

We don't have the resources right now to install such a function.  If a firefox extension can be made, I'd love to hear about it.

Sorry, silentseba. 

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alright, I'll try to find

Alright, I'll try to find anything about the firefox extention thing... will post if I find anything Sticking out tongue

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I did a quick search for

I did a quick search for ignore add-ons for Firefox, I have not tried any but this is what I came across so far.

A response on another forum:

RE: Ignore User Function

install greasemonkey ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748 )

then http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/831

I am not sure if this would work here but it might be worth a shot. If anyone tries it and it is useful please let us know.