Hello, I am new here

marius404
User is offlineOffline
Hello, I am new here

I have loved the rrs for  a while. I have read the forums for a while. This is my first post though. I just wanted to share a letter that I wrote to a theist friend of mine. He was angered that I am an activist. He feels that trying to teach people to think for themselves is just as bad as preaching. He thinks that we atheist should mind our own business. This was my response:

prepare for a reality check.

Faith is a horrible thing. While religions give it the highest praise it is worthy of only scorn. Faith is belief with out or in spite of evidence. This is no way to come to a conclusion.

But why would some one try to show people that their god belief is wrong? Why not just keep to your self, live and let live?

I will tell you why.

When George W. Bush says god told him to invade Iraq, I have to speak up.

When Terrorist fly into the world trade center so that they can get to their martyrs heaven, I have to speak up.

When Christians try and get science classrooms to teach fairy tales about creation, I will speak up.

When 25% of Americans believe that Jesus is coming back in the next year, when they are not worried about how we are raping the earth because god is gonna brb, I will speak up.

When it is illegal for an atheist to be elected in 7 states, I WILL SPEAK UP.

When stem cell research with all its life saving potential is denied funding because some religious nuts thinks that a group of cells smaller than an ant has a soul, I have no choice but to speak up.

When catholics teach people in africa dieing of aids that condoms are evil just try and stop me from speaking up.

When christians in america want to only teach abstinence in school even though it has been shown to be ineffective, I will speak up.

When someones god belief defaces my money, I will speak up.

When people support Israel and want to help them take over other peoples land because they think their holy book entitles them to it, I will speak up.

When christians bomb abortion clinics, you better fucking believe I am gonna speak up.

When atheist cannot be boyscouts while the scouts get federal funding, I will speak up.

Basically when someone is delusional, and their delusions are harmful to society as a whole I have no choice but to speak up.

Like it or not the atheist are coming out of the closet. We have been silent for to long. After thousands of years of listening to people go on about their imaginary friends and how you too should believe in them we have had enough. It is time to speak up. It is time to educate people to the dangers of their silly beliefs. It is time to change the world.

If your the least bit worried about atheist writing books, posting blogs, starting conversations, and in general trying to educate people and get them to start thinking for themselves instead of falling back on irrational beliefs then may I make a suggestion:

STOP INDOCTRINATING CHILDREN. If you think it is wrong for atheist to speak their mind what the fuck do you think it is when you take an innocent child to church to learn that if they don't "find god" they will burn in hell? An innocent child who doesn't know better than to believe what ever the adults tell them is true, and you would teach them a bunch of bullshit written by men during the bronze age that is harmful to them, and to society. Let them choose! Let them make up their own minds about god when they are older and capable of examining the evidence for themselves.

In closing, your god belief is harmful. Your god belief takes away from my freedoms. Your god belief starts wars. Your god belief kills nonbelievers. Your god belief is based on a book with stories so horrible it makes me sick. Your god belief might just destroy this world when a country hell bent on getting to Alla's heaven decides that nuclear war is the way to go. Your god belief is a mind disease. I am here and I have the cure. Don't ask me to stop trying to make people better. I care for my family, my friends, and my society. I will try and help them by educating them. By showing them that their god belief is based on a denial of reality. I will do my part to make the world a better place.

The world is full of good people who do good things the world has plenty of bad people who do bad things, but for a good person to do evil, that takes religion. 

Hope some of you found this letter I wrote of some use. Basically, I am tired of Keeping to myself on such important issues. I am ready to take a stand. I am ready to try and save the world from the mind disease known as theism.  

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums, great

Welcome to the forums, great letter! We look forward to your input.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome,

Welcome, marius404.

Excellent letter!  Did you get a response?

We're glad you're here and we're really glad you're speaking up!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with everything

I agree with everything except for your opposition to the support of Israel.  That seems to be a political decision, not religious.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

marius404
User is offlineOffline
My response to this letter

My response to this letter was that "it is my faith and who are you to question that!"

This really gets to me. I hate it when people will believe something even when they know it is indefencible. It is not that I want to be right, or to "win". I really just want to get to the truth.

I make a point to make sure that when I am taliking to someone about religion they understand that all I am after is the truth. That if they can show me that there is a god I will be more than glad to except it. That's all there is to it. 

Unfortunately, where I show evidence for the things I believe all  theist I have encountered fall back on faith.

When I ask them why they have faith in their god instead of one of the many others they never have an answer. They just say "that is my faith". It really does bother me when people are willing to believe in things with out any reason. Yet when I try and point out why this is wrong it never works. Any pointer would be apreciated Smiling

My biggest problem right now is theist who will admit that things like evolusion have plenty of proof but at the same time they still cannot believe in them because it contradicts the Bible. How do you reach people like this?

FYI, I live in Kentucky and I am the only atheist I know. It really is lonely over here where it seems like I am the only one who can take an honest look at reality.  

marius404
User is offlineOffline
I agree with you to a point

I agree with you to a point about Israel. Yes there are political reasons to support them. Problem is that there really are some people who support them just for the fact that they think it is what god wants. That is what I am against. Support them based on politics and that is fine, support them because you are ready for the rapture, and we have a problem.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
You live in Kentucky??? 

You live in Kentucky???  Cards or Cats?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!