Agh! I hate churches!

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Agh! I hate churches!

I should probably explain that eh?

So I volunteer for the Renaissance Festival near my town, and we do our rehearsals and what not at various churches around Independence and KC depending on where our Director can get us space. Well the church we're in this year is a completely new church that we've never used before, and let me tell you. I have never met a worse group of conceited inept assholes.

They've double-booked events three times with us and each time have gotten ruder and ruder with US, even though we were booked months in advance. They bitch and moan that we take up too much space and always leave a mess even though a couple hours are usually spent cleaning and making sure the place is cleaner than it was before we came in. They want us to some how magically teleport into the rooms we're using and NOT use the hallways and the lobby, the LOBBY! the friggen ONLY way to get into the fucking church!

But here's the big one, today we had a rehearsal and they double booked again, but heres the deal. They wouldn't let us come in at ALL. and they wanted us BEHIND The church and not visible from the damn parking lot! They wouldn't even let us use the fucking bathroom even though its ten bloody feet from the fucking door!

Seriously, to hell with churches, church-officials, church-goers, church-builders, church-designers, church-architects, church-thinkers, church-feelers, church's chicken (actually, never mind on that one), and anything else church related. Augh...

70 mile round trip wasted because some fucking bible thumpers double booked their fucking church...

Sorry, I needed to rant, anyone else have a bad church story? feel free to post it...sympathy's also welcome...

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
You do renaissance

You do renaissance festivals? Sweet. (I do War of the Roses) That sucks bigtime about that church. I remember when I was with another group doing 100years war we did an event at a church too. I wasn't too hot about it and I don't think they liked all my angry liberal bumperstickers on my car. Hahahahaha, I also remember, years ago (before I was atheist) I did a crusader camp. We had to stop though b/c people got very upset with us when we told them what the chruch did and ok'd during the crusades. (IE mass genocide)

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I do KC renfest and

Yeah, I do KC renfest and am hopefully going to start doign the faire in St. Louis.

My director is a pretty devout guy and theres optional prayer circles and stuff and what not, but usually the church people are pretty nice and easy going so I dont really worry about it too much. But this church just..augh.. 

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sounds like bad

Sounds like bad organisation, not something exclusively religious but one do wonder if the organisation of religious buildings are under enough scrutiny to encourage good organisation.

If a hotel is unorganised it risks bankruptcy. how often does churches go bankrupt?

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I'm thinking tax breaks are

I'm thinking tax breaks are their safty net.

:: cough ::

This might be useful

:: cough ::

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a bad church

I have a bad church story

I went to church.  Haha, but no, it always makes me recoil a bit when I realize I used to be just like that. EW. When I was Christian I couldn't see it, but my youth group or whatever was SO conceited it was disgusting.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Geez.  What church?  Hope

Geez.  What church?  Hope you're not back at Broadway & 13th Street!

If you're stuck with this place for this year's RenFest, you might think about taking a camera for "before and after" pictures of how tidy you're leaving the place.  Be sure it's one with a time and date stamp.  Then, if they complain about your "mess", you can send them the pictures and suggest that maybe it wasn't your group.

Double booked?  I'd make sure I showed up really early and get set up before any other group could get there. 

Not use the bathroom?  What do they expect you to do?  They'd probably complain if you relieved yourselves on the lawn. 

Actually, it sounds like they wish they hadn't let your group use the facilities and are trying to run you off. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Geez. What

Susan wrote:

Geez. What church? Hope you're not back at Broadway & 13th Street!

Hah, no, this one is Walnut Gardens in Independence, some little church in some neighborhood near the Indepence Center. 

I talked to my director about it and he said I should blame him because he knew in advance and forgot to tell him. I told him I couldn't really blame him for the church's ineptitude and inability to even allow us use of the bathroom.

I should really make a photo blog of Kansas City/Independence churches that have earned my scorn.

If I didn't have to go in costume, I'd wear my atheist t-shirt and borrow my sister's pentagram next time I go.. ah well.  

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh.  Independence.  That

Oh.  Independence.  That explains it.*

*Home to the world headquarters of the RLDS church. 

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Oh.

Susan wrote:

Oh. Independence. That explains it.*

*Home to the world headquarters of the RLDS church.

been to that church too, had my high school graduation there.

Theres a church across the street from it that used to be where we did rehearsals, they were actually pretty nice.

A fun game to do when driving through independence or parts of kc is to guess which church the car in front of you is going to turn into. My girlfriend and I make bets over it, its great.