Introduction and Request to Speak with Sapient

IrishFarmer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Introduction and Request to Speak with Sapient

Hey,

<> I'm a theist and this is my first time on these boards, though I'm quite familiar with the RRS.

<> I author the Exposing Atheism blog on blogspot.com, and I've sent an e-mail to the RRS, asking to debate the existence of God.

<> I would still like to do so (I haven't received a confirmation or denial on the request as of yet), but I thought that the best way to go about it would be to debate Kelly one-on-one.

<> I picked Kelly becase, as far as I know, she's supposed to be the philosopher, so she'd be most qualified to lose to me. Sticking out tongue

<> If you're interested, I'd be willing to do it on a public forum, or I would prefer to do it over the phone. However, I will not do it on your show (I assume this disqualifies me); I hear that the radio show is more of an "ambush" than an actual debate.

<> Thanks for your consideration. Later.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Their e-mail is very busy so

Their e-mail is very busy so thats probably why you haven't gotten anything back. If you really want to get their attention you might want to try the Webcam when they're on.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient will be sure to come

Sapient will be sure to come to your beck and call as he does with any nobody with a website and a desire for more attention.  Oh wait, I'm sure he has better things to do than debate children on the same tiresome subject, I hear his sock drawer needs rearranging.

IrishFarmer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Heh.  Having a website and

Heh.  Having a website and wanting more attention?  How does that make me any different than the RRS?  Sticking out tongue

<> Also, if you'd actually read what I say, buddy, then you'd notice I specifically said I did not want to debate Sapient.  I wanted their philosopher.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why fear the show? Why just

Why fear the show?

Why just philosophy? Kelly is also psychology.

You didn't answer the question.

What makes you worth a discussion?

These and other questions should probably be answered unless you feel like you are above them?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

IrishFarmer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
"Why fear the

"Why fear the show?"

<> Who said I was afraid?  I just want the discussion to actually be productive.

<>"Why just philosophy? Kelly is also psychology."

Wow, Kelly is the embodiment of psychology?   

Psychology would be irrelevant, although she would be welcome to bring it up if she thought it would help her case.  

Quote:
What makes you worth a discussion?

<>Who say's they're worth my time.  Smiling   I can't prove to you that I'm worth the time.  Suffice to say that I would be a much greater challenge than Ray and Kirk....although that's not saying much.  

I guess Kelly would have to decide for herself whether or not I'm worth it.  She has nothing to lose;  atheism is self-evident, right? 

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
IrishFarmer wrote: atheism

IrishFarmer wrote:
atheism is self-evident, right?

Bullshit. Who's claiming atheism is self evident? There are many true things that are not self evident, even downright counter-intuitive.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
IrishFarmer wrote: I just

IrishFarmer wrote:
I just want the discussion to actually be productive.

What makes you think the show wouldn't be?

Quote:
I can't prove to you that I'm worth the time. Suffice to say that I would be a much greater challenge than Ray and Kirk....although that's not saying much.

Are you saying you have an argument for god? If you have a topic it might help if you said what it was from the start. Also you could try to just talk about it on the forum...

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just a suggestion... If

Just a suggestion...

If you're willing to debate in a forum, why not just start a thread like this one with your best argument, and then you can get all the best responses from anyone who posts here? If it gets their attention, Brian or Kelly might join in, or they might not, but either way, it would all be out in the public view and everyone would have to be honest.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like his arguments

Looks like his arguments are just based on so called fine tuning and kalam's cosmological argument.

So yeah, nothing new.

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am sure they will welcome

I am sure they will welcome you to be part of a discussion on their website. (stickam or forums) I am sure you will be allowed to set the topic and you will probably be given 1 to 1:30 hours to talk. Make sure you bring evidence and valid sources to support your claims. If you don't do that, you will just look stupid.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
IrishFarmer wrote:

IrishFarmer wrote:
Who said I was afraid? I just want the discussion to actually be productive.

I'm going to bet you don't. What you want is a slanging match.

Quote:
Wow, Kelly is the embodiment of psychology?

Oh dear, did you really make that joke? Ouch.

Quote:
Psychology would be irrelevant, although she would be welcome to bring it up if she thought it would help her case.

Of course psychology is irrelevant. I mean what good would arguing a point based upon, say, Maslow's pyramid do?

Oops.

Quote:
Who say's they're worth my time. Smiling

You do by being here.

Quote:
I can't prove to you that I'm worth the time. Suffice to say that I would be a much greater challenge than Ray and Kirk....although that's not saying much.

True, however so far you're not exactly doing a sterling job of fighting your corner either.

Quote:
I guess Kelly would have to decide for herself whether or not I'm worth it. She has nothing to lose; atheism is self-evident, right?

You know, you could start with a synopsis of your argument, your debate topic, the rules of engagement and the victory conditions if you were serious. Talk is cheap, pony up or move along.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

IrishFarmer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I'm not going on the show

I'm not going on the show because I'm not going to be ambushed by three or four people, most of whom would be speaking out of their field anyway. 

<> Unless it was agreed that Kelly, and only Kelly, would be speaking to me.  I might go for Sapient, I just don't think he'd be the best choice.  

<> Yes, the discussion would be, in general, about the existence of God.  However, it would mostly touch on topics only indirectly related to the existence of God.  If you get what I mean.  

<>  I'm happy that most of you are being honestly inquisitive about this, but I have to say that for a welcome, I certainly get the impression that these forums have their share of d-bags.  That's a great way to represent non-theism, by the way.  That's not directed to everyone who responded, just a few of you.  

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
As opposed to the kind and

As opposed to the kind and gentle stance demonstrated in your posts?

Grow up, kid. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You sound like Matt Slick -

You sound like Matt Slick - "Waaahhhh!!! There's more than one person talking."

Very Sad

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

IrishFarmer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I'm going to bet you

Quote:
I'm going to bet you don't. What you want is a slanging match.

<> And I'm sure you base that on some sort of empirical evidence, of course.  

<> 

Quote:
Oh dear, did you really make that joke? Ouch.

<> A joke, or was it mocking?

Quote:

Of course psychology is irrelevant. I mean what good would arguing a point based upon, say, Maslow's pyramid do?

Oops.

<> I don't know, unless we're going to try and figure out whether Kelly's excretory needs are being met sufficiently, I don't really see its application. 

<> She's never used anything as "fancy" as Maslow's Pyramids in any of her debates that I've witnessed.  

<> 

Quote:
You do by being here.

<> Non-sequitor.  Maybe I have time to waste.  

<> 

Quote:
True, however so far you're not exactly doing a sterling job of fighting your corner either.

<> Great, but I won't be taking your word for it.  

<> 

Quote:
You know, you could start with a synopsis of your argument, your debate topic, the rules of engagement and the victory conditions if you were serious. Talk is cheap, pony up or move along.

<> Why would I lay out debate conditions for a debate that hasn't even been agreed upon yet?  

As for the rest of you, yes I do like order in my discussions.  Perhaps I would be whining if a 100 different atheists, with no experience in the related discussion, just started throwing their opinions into the ring whenever they felt like it?  

<> Or perhaps I'd rather keep the debate as clean and concise as possible.  Actually, that's not even really possible because I am a theist after all, and therefore there must be some childish ulterior motive behind everything I do.<> <>

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Or . . . you could just settle . .

. . . for a drunk-fInnocentck bitch, who will argue with you, and show her titties online, but only if you get her drunk enough, and who will just go clean a house the next day, as if you did not exist, and show you up for your stupidity, anyway.

Good luck, fCoolcktard.  From another drunk beatch, giving atheists beatches a bad name.  give me a call, if you dare, ah ha.

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
IrishFarmer wrote: Hey, <>

IrishFarmer wrote:

Hey,

<> I'm a theist and this is my first time on these boards, though I'm quite familiar with the RRS.

<> I author the Exposing Atheism blog on blogspot.com, and I've sent an e-mail to the RRS, asking to debate the existence of God.

<> I would still like to do so (I haven't received a confirmation or denial on the request as of yet), but I thought that the best way to go about it would be to debate Kelly one-on-one.

<> I picked Kelly becase, as far as I know, she's supposed to be the philosopher, so she'd be most qualified to lose to me. Sticking out tongue

<> If you're interested, I'd be willing to do it on a public forum, or I would prefer to do it over the phone. However, I will not do it on your show (I assume this disqualifies me); I hear that the radio show is more of an "ambush" than an actual debate.

<> Thanks for your consideration. Later.

hey, bitch, I'm a housekeeper, and a drunk, so I'm the most qualified to lose to you, so bring it on . . . if I can keep paying for my dial-up service, bitch! Hell, if you really wanna' fight, pay for it, and prove your Christian love. I effing dare you to stand up to me, and any other drunk-beatch atheist-feminist in the universe, (giving atheists a bad name), you vile-ass, formulaic, argumentation jerk-off.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Irish,   Kelly and I have

Irish,

Kelly and I have talked and we'd be willing to talk with you, it doesn't have to be a show, just Kelly and I on a conference call.  We've been looking for discussions like that.  You could also post your issues on the forums.  Kelly and I aren't any better than the community at large here, and posting in our forums is a good way to have your arguments heard.

We'll be live on webcam speaking to you via phone and you can invite whoever you want to be in the chatroom: http://www.rationalresponders.com/rrs_webcam_room

We'll record the discussion, and make it available for download.

If you're interested, email me your phone number, we can do it some time this week.   I'm too busy to go back and forth right now, this is a take it or leave it offer, for now.

-  Sapient and Kelly

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I'm really good at that . . .

. . . sorting cocks socks.

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:

Irish,

Kelly and I have talked and we'd be willing to talk with you, it doesn't have to be a show, just Kelly and I on a conference call. We've been looking for discussions like that. You could also post your issues on the forums. Kelly and I aren't any better than the community at large here, and posting in our forums is a good way to have your arguments heard.

We'll be live on webcam speaking to you via phone and you can invite whoever you want to be in the chatroom: http://www.rationalresponders.com/rrs_webcam_room

We'll record the discussion, and make it available for download.

If you're interested, email me your phone number, we can do it some time this week. I'm too busy to go back and forth right now, this is a take it or leave it offer, for now.

- Sapient and Kelly

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
hey, Irish, that's

"sorts cocks socks for a living." Take it on, if you can.

BTW, the rest of us are kinda' busy on our days off from sorting socks to respond, so it would behoove you to take up Sapient's "take it or leave it offer."

Jeez! I hope there's a deadline on that.

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
tattoo your answers . . .

tattoo your answers. . . on my teats. That ought to get some more attention than you expected, or may be less.

I guess the theists would want equal opportunity, but guess what? Only smart people get to write tattoes on my teats!

Good luck.

I'm the judge . . . Nevermind, I'm not into pain . . . unless it really makes a difference, and a bunch of money for me, and the notoriety is a nonsequitur (however it's spelled, or in whatever context).   yeah, nevermind.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Wow! Teresa....lol....I

Wow! Teresa....lol....I have officially been defeated...For months I have done some drunk posts here and there. I was sure no one would ever step up to challenge my drunk posting abilities. You beat me this time Teresa. Laughing

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've decided that we need

I've decided that we need to change the "You Respond Rationally" forum, to "Teresa Nichols Gets Shitfaced and Answers Theist Hatemail." 

This should not be up for debate.  Sapient, make this happen. 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

ABx
User is offlineOffline
It's pretty scary when

It's pretty scary when drunken rants are more sensical than the theists.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teresa Nichols wrote: . . .

Teresa Nichols wrote:
. . . sorting cocks socks.

I am completely unsure how the unedited version of this statement would work.... I am afraid to ask.

How does one 'sort' cocks? Would the same thing work for teats or twats?? LOL 

IrishFarmer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
This week would be

This week would be perfect.  The only time that would be bad for me is about midday wednesday. 

Otherwise I can set aside time - anytime.  

I'll e-mail you my phone number, and I'll throw some ideas out there for what the debate will be about, and we can decide where it would be best to do this.  

Thanks.   

<> 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh for heaven's sakes, this

Oh for heaven's sakes, this person admits to being Irish.  We all know that the Irish are not descended from primates.  They are actually a recent branch from Sus Scrofa Domestica.  Pay him no mind.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: I've

Roisin Dubh wrote:

I've decided that we need to change the "You Respond Rationally" forum, to "Teresa Nichols Gets Shitfaced and Answers Theist Hatemail." 

This should not be up for debate.  Sapient, make this happen. 

ROFL!!! 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teresa Nichols

Teresa Nichols wrote:

tattoo your answers. . . on my teats. That ought to get some more attention than you expected, or may be less.

I guess the theists would want equal opportunity, but guess what? Only smart people get to write tattoes on my teats!

There's just soooo many ways to go with this.

Teresa's libations were roarin'

When a theist popped into the forum.

His rantings incited

And now we're invtted

To tatoo her teats, sans decorum

Tangentially, tatooing Teresa's teats totally transcends typically tittalating topics.

So an atheist figured out the perfect proof agianst the existence of god. Knowing of Teresa's standing offer to tatoo the answers on her teats he appeared on her doorstep and presented her with the proof. She was duly impressed and proceeded to unbutton her shirt and remove her bra. The atheist looked in wonder at her assets, and said "Wow. Maybe there is a god after all".

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are you trying to get on my

Nero wrote:
random Irish hating...

Are you trying to get on my bad side? Eye-wink

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote: Nero

kellym78 wrote:

Nero wrote:
random Irish hating...

I'll drink you under the table ye wee lass!  I'm German/English so I can outdrink you and eat crappier food (unless your Scottish, then you have me beat). 

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
Let me know when this debate

Let me know when this debate happens please. I enjoy observing Religion vs. Atheism debates.

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Teresa's

wavefreak wrote:

Teresa's libations were roarin'

When a theist popped into the forum.

His rantings incited

And now we're invtted

To tatoo her teats, sans decorum

Win 

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

IrishFarmer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Don't hold your breath. 

Don't hold your breath.  They never called at the arranged time.  

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: I'll drink

D-cubed wrote:

I'll drink you under the table ye wee lass! I'm German/English so I can outdrink you and eat crappier food (unless your Scottish, then you have me beat).

I wouldn't count on that. I have two livers. :-P 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
IrishFarmer wrote: Don't

IrishFarmer wrote:
Don't hold your breath. They never called at the arranged time.

Here are the actual details.

Quote:

On 8/3/07, Brian Sapient <[email protected]> wrote:
Phil,   Kelly unexpectedly has her kids all day today and throughout the weekend.  Her kids get to sleep tonight by 10-11pm est.  We can do it tonight(Friday) after that or we can wait until after Monday of this upcoming week.  It's up to you.  Sorry for the change of schedule.  Her kids are 2,4,8 and are a handful, so they require all of her attention.   - Sapient

Quote:

----- Original Message ----- From: Phil na To: Brian Sapient Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 12:19 PM Subject: Re: [Rational Responders] My Number

No problem.  I've got a three-month-old in the house too, so I know how it can be. 

This will probably work out for the best though.  Let me give you my sister-in-law's cell phone number, because that can get reception in the basement, so I'll be able to have access to my computer. 

Here's her number, I'll let her know not to answer her phone that late at night, but she'll probably be sleeping anyway.  *** *** ****

To be honest, I didn't realize until now that you meant to call Friday night.  I thought next week was understood, but I see now I misread.  Keep in mind, I misread it while 4 kids were running around me in a circle.

Is next week still ok?

IrishFarmer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Here's the last e-mail I

Here's the last e-mail I got from you.

Quote:
Kelly unexpectedly has her kids all day today and throughout the weekend.  Her kids get to sleep tonight by 10-11pm est.  We can do it tonight after that or we can wait until after Monday of this upcoming week.  It's up to you.  Sorry for the change of schedule.  Her kids are 2,4,8 and are a handful, so they require all of her attention

Fair enough.  However, I thought it was pretty explicit that you were willing to talk as of that very night, contingent on the youngsters being in bed.  

So I don't know what you mean by it being clear that we were going to talk next week.  It seems, based on your writing, that you were simply giving next week as an option.  

That said.........I'll leave it open as an option.  However, this all sounds kind of strange to me.  I spent three hours waiting last week, so I'm not prepared for any more misunderstandings.  

<>Honestly, what I would love to do at this point, for several reasons, is get You, Kelly, Rook and anyone from the RRS team over to the theology web forums for a debate.  If its written, I'd be willing to take you all on at once.  Smiling  I think that might be interesting. 

Get back to me at my e-mail if you can.  If this is going to happen, I need to know details:  when, where, and what.  I want to know, very generally, what topics you'd like to touch on, because I'm not going to have something like the Jesus Myth (something I'm admittedly not very knowledgable on), thrown at me.  

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
Okay, after reading that

Okay, after reading that last comment I have to ask....Irish, are you sure you wanna do this? Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort are both very smart men and their whole mission in life is to seek and save the lost and even they got destoryed when they took on Brian and Kelly. Maybe you should save yourself some embarrassment.

Perhaps all of these things that have kept the debate from happening is God's way of telling you..."No! Don't do it! I can't afford to lose another one of my followers!"

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
IrishFarmer wrote: Fair

IrishFarmer wrote:

Fair enough. However, I thought it was pretty explicit that you were willing to talk as of that very night, contingent on the youngsters being in bed.

So I don't know what you mean by it being clear that we were going to talk next week. It seems, based on your writing, that you were simply giving next week as an option.

Like I said, we had a misunderstanding.  For what it's worth, one of the children didn't give us any free time until 5 am, waking up every 15 minutes whining for mom.  Kelly woould've been unavailable all night.

Quote:
Honestly, what I would love to do at this point, for several reasons, is get You, Kelly, Rook and anyone from the RRS team over to the theology web forums for a debate. If its written, I'd be willing to take you all on at once. Smiling I think that might be interesting.

Hell would have to freeze over before I created an account there. 

Quote:
Get back to me at my e-mail if you can. If this is going to happen, I need to know details: when, where, and what. I want to know, very generally, what topics you'd like to touch on, because I'm not going to have something like the Jesus Myth (something I'm admittedly not very knowledgable on), thrown at me.

We'll have Kellys schedule for this week, tomorrow.  As for topic, I already expressed in email, I have no topic I'm interested in bringing up with you, we're entertaining the topics that YOU want to bring up.

Furyan
User is offlineOffline
Irish! ASHAME YOUR BUDDY

[MOD EDIT]

Your own personal debate schedule has no relevant bearing on this thread with this individual.

Watch the death of the entire Christian religion live!

http://furyangankage.blogspot.com/

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote: Nero

kellym78 wrote:

Nero wrote:
random Irish hating...

Oh, I should never be so bold as to attempt that. I might fall into it but never on purpose.  I was just thinking, "Who will govern the Irish as they do not seem to wish to govern themselves?"  Smiling

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

IrishFarmer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Well, it sounds like  you

Well, it sounds like  you simply need to e-mail me the details when you have them.  I'll be around next week.

About Kirk and Ray.  I could have pretended to be an atheist and defeated their arguments myself.  They couldn't even keep to the agreed terms of the debate.  Even worse, they couldn't even answer that woman about cancer.  I mean, that was basically a freebie. 

And besides, Brian implied that this was more of a discussion than a debate.  I'm not out to save souls (by talking with the RRS), I'm out to test my ideas against those who disagree with me.   

There will be little appeal to the bible, except where relevant, and I plan to stick to science, philosophy, and logic on the whole.  Obviously, deviations will be made where necessary and within reason.  

To sum it up concisely, I'm not out to preach to Brian or Kelly or anyone who happens to download the mp3 of a discussion we might have.   So, a comparison to Kirk and Ray is wrong on so many levels.  Especially the level of intelligence and ability to debate.  

No offense to them, they just shouldn't have gone through with that (or any other) debate.  

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ohh suddenly this debate

Ohh suddenly this debate seems like it could be interesting Sticking out tongue

Ajdane
User is offlineOffline
Definitely a debate with

Definitely a debate with potential. Id love to be able to hear this when it happens.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Ajdane and welcome to

Hi Ajdane and welcome to the forums!

We'd love it if you'd take a minute and introduce yourself right here in this forum so we can get to know you a little better.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.