Wal-Mart to sell religious toys (Moved From Freethinking Anonymous)

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wal-Mart to sell religious toys (Moved From Freethinking Anonymous)

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/IndustryInfo/story?id=3380924&page=1

July 16, 2007
Wal-Mart is about to bring religion to the toy aisle.

Early next month, 425 Wal-Mart stores nationwide will begin carrying faith-based toys from One2believe that target parents who would rather that their kids play with a Samson action figure than a Spider-Man action figure.

It's the first time the world's largest retailer has carried a full line of religious toys. "We're seeing interest from parents in faith-enriching toys," says Melissa O'Brien, a Wal-Mart spokeswoman.

Religious products have become a multibillion-dollar business, and the toy move comes as it targets a younger audience. Fox recently created FoxFaith, a 20th Century Fox unit to distribute family movies with Christian themes. In January, Universal Pictures will release The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything - A VeggieTales Movie, based on the spiritual characters by Big Idea.

But until now, most faith-based toys have sold successfully only in specialty religious stores, not at mass-market retailers, warns Jim Silver, editor of Toy Wishes magazine. "Once children turn 4, parents tend to get them what they want. And right now, kids are asking for Transformers."

About one-sixth of Wal-Mart's 3,300 stores will carry the One2believe line, which will get 2 feet of toy aisle shelf space, says O'Brien.

One way Wal-Mart decided where to carry them, she says: Stores that sell a lot of Bibles will carry the new line.

"We view this as an opportunity to reach that audience," she says.

But one religious leader does not consider Wal-Mart in the fold.

"They'll carry anything that sells," says David Croyle, president of FamilyLife, a non-denominational ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ. "This simply signals intelligent buying within Wal-Mart."

For David Socha, CEO of One2believe, it's a dream come true. "Our goal is to give the faith-based community an alternative to Bratz dolls and Spider-Man," he says.

The toys are based on biblical stories. For example, there's a set of 3-inch figures based on Daniel in the lion's den for about $7. A 12-inch talking Jesus doll is about $15. And 14-inch Samson or Goliath action figures are about $20.

[MOD EDIT - this was moved from Freethinking Anonymous as there is a link in the General Conversation forum (that I can't delete). It wouldn't be fair to delete a theist post when they came in through that forum.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
The above stroy gives me

The above stroy gives me lots of ideas for religious toys:

How about a "Abdulla the Myrtar" comes complete with a strap on bomb to blow up those Christian toys?

Or maybe a Noah's Ark Set. Comes complete with dinosaurs in case your parents want to teach their children that all species ever to exist were on the ark. 

How about a plauge kit? Now your kids can inflict plauges on your neighbors just like Moses. What great famly values you can teach your kids. 

How about a toy bear? Everyone, especially those godfearing Christians do. No you can teach your children how important it is to be respectful of their elders with the 'Bethel Bears'. When the kids mock the old men, the bears go into attackk mode and devoure the children.  In case you are a heathen and dont recall this godfilled loving story with its family values, I suggest you read 2 Kings 2:23-24.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What about buying the Jesus

What about buying the Jesus action figure and doing blasphemous things? ie having him in a sexual position with a GI Joe or Ken doll, crucifying him, puting him in a sexual position with a toy farm animal, etc...

As to the Campus Crusade thing, when I was going to colleg I had a button that said "Campus Crusade for Cthulu!" :ROTF:

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey who knows, maybe it'll

Hey who knows, maybe it'll backfire.

Hell I might get a couple of em for a stop motion video, it could be great. 

If they make a noah's ark set, I hope not all the animals fit, that'd be great. 

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Randalllord wrote: Or maybe

Randalllord wrote:
Or maybe a Noah's Ark Set. Comes complete with dinosaurs in case your parents want to teach their children that all species ever to exist were on the ark.

I assume the animals are sold separatly since they won't all fit on the ark?

What about the amazing God in a box? The cost of production would make the Pet Rock look expensive.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jarem Asyder wrote: If

Jarem Asyder wrote:

If they make a noah's ark set, I hope not all the animals fit, that'd be great.

neptewn wrote:
I assume the animals are sold separatly since they won't all fit on the ark?

Laughing

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
 "Now there's a fun

Jesus Action Figure

"Now there's a fun Jesus!"

For holy roller and heathen alike, the Jesus action figure is a can't miss child pleaser. Whether little Timmy wants to play Sermon on the Mount or crucifixion, there is no end to the fun that can be had when a child can combine his imagination with a 5" tall reproduction of the King of the Jews. Fully equipped with partially mobile arms, allowing for such poses as the hands above the shoulders "Hey, I look like Scott Stapp," or the above illustrated, "Crucify this!", as well as solid plastic wheels in the base for a life like reproduction of water walking across any smooth blue surface.

"Hey, Timmy. Can I play Jesus with you?"

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was a store near my

There was a store near my old house that sold religious toys.

Funny thing, it was mostly adult women who bought the toys and when they played with them you could hear them calling to god, "oh god, oh god"

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: There was a

BGH wrote:

There was a store near my old house that sold religious toys.

Funny thing, it was mostly adult women who bought the toys and when they played with them you could hear them calling to god, "oh god, oh god"

Um, BGH,  I'm pretty sure those weren't 'religious' toys.  Eye-wink

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here are the toys!   They

Here are the toys!   They actually have a Moses and the Ten Plagues figure set....

http://store.messengersoffaith.net/index.html 

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
How will they handle it

How will they handle it when xians start shoplifting the xian toys?

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
I remember Conan O'Brien had

I remember Conan O'Brien had these religious figurines (real merchandise; I think he'd found them in a catalog or something) of Jesus playing sports. One had Jesus playing football, and a kid tackling Jesus! That kid's going to Hell! Tongue out

Edit: I think this is the figure:

Jesus Football Figure 

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
They are finally bringing

They are finally bringing up the Flying Spaghetti Monster in toy form, wow where can i get one.

Imagine going to bed with a 6 foot FSM surrounding you with his noodly appendages, brings a tear to the eye

Ramen

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Faith-Based toys to hit US stores

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6916287.stm

From the article:

Quote:

Instead of Spiderman or Bratz dolls, children in the US could soon be clutching a talking Jesus toy, a bearded Moses or a muscle-bound figure of Goliath.

From the middle of August, Wal-Mart, the biggest toy retailer in the US, will for the first time stock a full line of faith-based toys.

The Bible-based action figures will initially be given two feet of shelf space in 425 of the company's 3,300 stores nationwide.

There, the Tales of Glory dolls will take on what their makers are calling "the battle for the toy box" with some of the nation's most popular action figures.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

vexed
vexed's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote: They are

mrjonno wrote:

They are finally bringing up the Flying Spaghetti Monster in toy form, wow where can i get one.

Imagine going to bed with a 6 foot FSM surrounding you with his noodly appendages, brings a tear to the eye

Ramen

ROFL

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

Voided
User is offlineOffline
http://store.messengersoffai

http://store.messengersoffaith.net/bafortoybox.html

lol "BATTLE FOR THE TOY BOX, BUY OUR SHIT!"

I really wonder why groups like this are so fond of using words related to war... 

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
why was my topic knocked out

why was my topic knocked out of place and replace with Randalllord's topic about the same thing? Mine was posted here first.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
joshpatten wrote: why was

joshpatten wrote:
why was my topic knocked out of place and replace with Randalllord's topic about the same thing? Mine was posted here first.

I am not sure who moved it, but it was moved appropriately. We do not want multiple threads on the exact same topic so we merge the threads when possible.

Randallord's was posted on 7/19/07, yours on 7/30/07.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
That Jesus is improperly

That Jesus is improperly packaged. It should read "White Jesus".

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Randallord wrote: The above

Randallord wrote:
The above stroy gives me lots of ideas for religious toys:

How about a "Abdulla the Myrtar" comes complete with a strap on bomb to blow up those Christian toys?

How about a plauge kit? Now your kids can inflict plauges on your neighbors just like Moses. What great famly values you can teach your kids.

How about a toy bear? Everyone, especially those godfearing Christians do. No you can teach your children how important it is to be respectful of their elders with the 'Bethel Bears'. When the kids mock the old men, the bears go into attackk mode and devoure the children. In case you are a heathen and dont recall this godfilled loving story with its family values, I suggest you read 2 Kings 2:23-24.

LOL!!! That's hilarious. You should write for LandoverBaptist.com

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?