Theism is not the "root of all evil"

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Theism is not the "root of all evil"

Greetings all,

I'm new to RR and I guess you could consider me to be a theist. I am a Falun Gong practitioner. Falun Gong is also known as Falun Dafa. It is not a religion, but it does talk about different gods and other supernatural phenomenon.

A little background: Falun Dafa is an ancient Chi Gong cultivation practice for improving mind and body through the practice of five gentle exercises and the study of the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Tolerance. It was introduced to the public in Changchun, China in 1992 by Teacher Li Hongzhi. The main teachings are found in the book Zhuan Falun which can be downloaded for free from www.falundafa.org. For those who might be curious, I normally recommend reading China Falun Gong instead, also found at the same place. This book is shorter, easier to read and describes the exercises too.

Within 7 years of it's introduction by Teacher Li (often referred to as Master) Falun Dafa had spread by word of mouth to between 70 to 100 million people. Falun Dafa teaches people to think of others before themselves, to always be kind and forgiving and to never harm others. However, even though Falun Dafa improved people's health and relationships with others in society, the Chinese Communist Party started a brutal persecution of Falun Dafa in July 1992 which is still going on today. The CCP is officially atheist, but I'm not blaming atheism.

Please note that my opinions expressed below are my own and cannot be considered representative of Falun Dafa.

Now, on to my topic. It seems that some athiests think that it is the belief in gods and supernatural phenomenon that causes violence in the world. It seems to me that violence is most closely related to an attitude of intolerance. Granted, some religions promote intolerance, but intolerance is not the same as belief in gods. In my view, it's quite the opposite. The way I see it, some religions may have been passed to mankind by gods, but they are nonetheless run by humans. Many have gone astray and many have been made up without devine providence. JMO.

Instead, I hold that it is healthy to realize that science has it's bounds and that there is truth beyond modern science. Belief in gods or belief that gods do not exist is not within the realm of science. To coin a phrase: Theism and atheism are extra-scientific belief systems as neither point of view can be conclusively confirmed or denied by science.

Looking forward to some healthy conversation.

The world needs Truthfulness, Compassion, Tolerance.
Falun Dafa is good.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
While the exercise may be

While the exercise may be good for you, the "teachings" of Falun Dafa are pure nonsense.

It is simply another form of mysticism, full of karma, magic, qi energy, and no basis in reality. Conveniently, anyone with a poor personality (which includes a desire to show off their abilities) will never be able to develop high level abilities. Also, the masters cannot demonstrate their mad skills to the general public.

So basically, the exercise is good, but the mysticism could hinder your intellectual development.

As to your other point, religion may not be the "root of all evil" but it certianly is the root of some evil. It is difficult to claim that atheism causes evil, as it is more difficult to fight for a cause if you have none. The atheists who have commited atrocities normally have had some other cause (e.g. social engineering).

Falun Dafa may promote harmony and peace or whatever, but the religion part is unnecessary. Peace and harmony should be promoted simply on their own merits.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Fish

Thanks for your reply. We disagree on Falun Dafa. Ok. However, it is my experience that instead of being a hinderance, Falun Dafa has enhanced my intellectual development.

I'd like for you to note that I did not say that religion is not the "root of all evil". I find there to be a difference between "religion" and "theism". Also, I did not accuse atheism as being the cause of evil. I thought I had made that clear.

My understanding of the word theism is simply a belief in gods, and atheism as simply the belief that gods do not exist. A religion on the other hand is a human activity which is usually based on theistic beliefs. For the purpose of this discussion, there is a significant difference.

Falun Dafa is good.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: Thanks for

Talk25 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. We disagree on Falun Dafa. Ok. However, it is my experience that instead of being a hinderance, Falun Dafa has enhanced my intellectual development.

I'd like for you to note that I did not say that religion is not the "root of all evil". I find there to be a difference between "religion" and "theism". Also, I did not accuse atheism as being the cause of evil. I thought I had made that clear.

My understanding of the word theism is simply a belief in gods, and atheism as simply the belief that gods do not exist. A religion on the other hand is a human activity which is usually based on theistic beliefs. For the purpose of this discussion, there is a significant difference.

I've be arguing this for quite some time. Theism isn't evil, people are evil 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: Now, on to

Talk25 wrote:

Now, on to my topic. It seems that some athiests think that it is the belief in gods and supernatural phenomenon that causes violence in the world.

No. Religion is used to justify violence. Through religion, people are able to project their petty prejudices and hatreds as the desires of an omnipotent creator.

Quote:

It seems to me that violence is most closely related to an attitude of intolerance. Granted, some religions promote intolerance,

Some?

Once you have a religion, you have outsiders, non members, who in one way or another are not treated the same as members.

The actual point here is that religion is a means to lift inferiors over their superiors, it's a means to justify hatred and violence. It's an irrational means to futher one's own personal desires.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: Talk25

todangst wrote:
Talk25 wrote:

Now, on to my topic. It seems that some athiests think that it is the belief in gods and supernatural phenomenon that causes violence in the world.

No. Religion is used to justify violence. Through religion, people are able to project their petty prejudices and hatreds as the desires of an omnipotent creator.

Quote:

It seems to me that violence is most closely related to an attitude of intolerance. Granted, some religions promote intolerance,

Some?

Once you have a religion, you have outsiders, non members, who in one way or another are not treated the same as members.

The actual point here is that religion is a means to lift inferiors over their superiors, it's a means to justify hatred and violence. It's an irrational means to futher one's own personal desires.

No, political ideology will always be a superior tool for justification. Political ideology can apply to everyone, not just ones of a certain religion.  

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Religion is certainly the

Religion is certainly the worst thing humans ever invented. Falun Gong is relatively benign, but it tends to piss of the Chinese government (who call themselves Communist but tend to be extreme capitlists!)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: Thanks for

Talk25 wrote:

I'm not sure how that's possible, unless you read the books you cited as works of pure fiction. Even then, I'm not sure how it would help you, except to perhaps fuel creativity.

Talk25 wrote:

I'm sorry, I hadn't read your post closely enough to recognize your separation of religion and theism. However, I still believe that any sort of theism tends to confuse the issue by inventing unnecesary entities, thereby obstructing the pursuit of actual knowledge. Perhaps I am being too pragmatic.

Also, to be precise, I never said that you said atheism was the cause of evil, as you are implying. I was just mentioning it because it related directly to religion (or theism, as I had been careless using them interchangebly) and evil.

Talk25 wrote:

Again, if religion is dependant on theism, then removing theism, which I consider mostly unnecessary, would also remove religion, which has been a major source of conflict.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: Talk25

Fish wrote:
Talk25 wrote:

... it is my experience that instead of being a hinderance, Falun Dafa has enhanced my intellectual development.

I'm not sure how that's possible, unless you read the books you cited as works of pure fiction. Even then, I'm not sure how it would help you, except to perhaps fuel creativity.

It's my experience. It's ok if you don't understand it.

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
Again, if religion is dependant on theism, then removing theism, which I consider mostly unnecessary, would also remove religion, which has been a major source of conflict.

True, however it is also possible to be a theist without having any religion. That's my personal preference.

Falun Dafa is good.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Todangst, It seems to me

Todangst, It seems to me that your comments are too absolute to be applied to all religions. You might as well say something like: "All (pick a group) are (pick a trait)."

People use many different excuses to justify violence, not just religion or self righteousness.

Also, it is not a problem to treat people differently. For example, I treat my co-workers differently than I do my family.

Certainly I can agree that some people do use their beliefs to "elevate" themselves over others in order to feel superior, and I disagree with that. At least, I think that any belief that does that may be less than "righteous". But again, it's not only religions that do this and it's not all religions that do it.

Falun Dafa is good.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: It's my

Talk25 wrote:

I will never understand it if you don't explain.

Despite your claim, Falun Dafa is indeed a religion. It is a set of beliefs that claims to have the sole complete knowledge of the universe. It has an organized structure of levels in which people advance through diligent practice and study. It has claims of "miraculous" powers and abilites. It has rules of behavior.

I feel that this is sufficient to make my point, but the list goes on. All of this information comes directly from the two books you cited in your initial post.

Talk25 wrote:
A religion on the other hand is a human activity which is usually based on theistic beliefs. For the purpose of this discussion, there is a significant difference.

Talk25 wrote:
True, however it is also possible to be a theist without having any religion. That's my personal preference.

Falun Dafa certainly falls under human activity based on theistic beliefs. Perhaps you personally are theistic without being reilgious. I don't know. However, Falun Dafa is a religion.

In addition, Falun Dafa does cause violence. The fact that it is violence against the practitioners does not matter. I am not defending the Chinese government. What they are doing is wrong and is just one example of their many crimes against civil rights. However, without Falun Dafa, there would be nothing for them to persecute, which I believe is the point todangst was making. Nobody needs religion to lead a peacful life, not eat meat, exercise, etc. Why do they need the mysticism?

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: It has an

Fish wrote:

It has an organized structure of levels in which people advance through diligent practice and study.

The levels are far from organized. Nobody is supposed to know what "level" anyone is at. Except of course Li Hongzi, who is the master, and his "level" is established through hinting and modesty.

It almost sounds like we're talking about Dungeons and Dragons.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard wrote:

inspectormustard wrote:

The levels are far from organized. Nobody is supposed to know what "level" anyone is at. Except of course Li Hongzi, who is the master, and his "level" is established through hinting and modesty.

That is a good point. However, the levels clearly exist, and promoting ignorance is certainly another hallmark of religion. If I changed it to "loosely organized structure" would you agree? For example, in regards to the "third eye":

the book wrote:
Buddhists talk about the five powers: Flesh Vision, Divine Vision, Wisdom Vision, Law Vision and Buddha Vision. These are five major levels of the Third Eye, and each level is subdivided into upper, middle, and lower levels.

So, there are certainly different stages you can attain in your pursuit of mastery.

And yeah, it definitely souds like D&D.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: Talk25

Fish wrote:
Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
I will never understand it if you don't explain.

I wasn't sure you would accept an explanation. 1. I used to suffer severe depression from time to time. After I started practicing Falun Dafa, I had an experience which felt like a cleansing (I was alone at the time). I have not experienced depression since that time. 2. I have become more creative since practicing. This has led directly to several thousand dollars in bonuses at work for my creative problem solving.

I offer these two items as evidence of how Falun Dafa has helped me intellectually. You should not expect that I could explain how it works. It just does, for me.

Fish wrote:
Despite your claim, Falun Dafa is indeed a religion. ...

In my opinion, it is not.

Talk25 wrote:
A religion on the other hand is a human activity which is usually based on theistic beliefs. For the purpose of this discussion, there is a significant difference.

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
Falun Dafa certainly falls under human activity based on theistic beliefs. Perhaps you personally are theistic without being reilgious. I don't know. However, Falun Dafa is a religion.

I would say that Falun Dafa is a cultivation practice based on the principles "Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance". Believing in gods (theism) is not the driving factor for the practice. JMO. The way I see it, it's just a small part of the practice. I think one of the primary things that distinguishes Falun Dafa from religions is worship. There is none in FD. Other significant differences are a lack of initiation, lack of ceremonies, lack of churches/mosques/temples, lack of priests/preachers/elders (or anyone with a supposed "higher position" than anyone else, except of course Master Li), lack of collecting contributions, lack of lists of "members", no such thing as ex-communication.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "rules of behavior", unless you're talking about thinking of others before one's self, maintaining virtue and avoiding things that create karma, and following "Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance" to the best of one's ability and understanding. IMO, these are not exactly "rules of behavior." To me, they seem more like guide lines based on moral principles. I'm sure you don't find fault with that.

Fish wrote:
In addition, Falun Dafa does cause violence. The fact that it is violence against the practitioners does not matter. I am not defending the Chinese government. What they are doing is wrong and is just one example of their many crimes against civil rights. However, without Falun Dafa, there would be nothing for them to persecute, which I believe is the point todangst was making. Nobody needs religion to lead a peacful life, not eat meat, exercise, etc. Why do they need the mysticism?

It seems to me that you do not know the CCP very well. The reason they persecute people is to maintain power through violence and intimidation. Class struggle is part of communist ideology. It's history that they've put together some type of persecution of about 5% of the Chinese people every 7 to 10 years.

The thing I find most problematic with your comment is that you're blaming the victims. It is irrational to say that if Falun Dafa did not exist there would be nothing for the CCP to persecute. They do persecute others as well, just nobody stands up against it on the scale we do. I'm sure you don't find fault in standing up for one's rights to freedom of belief, without the threat of violence from the central government of a country with 1.2 billion people.

As far as not needing religion (or mysticism) to lead a peaceful life. I agree. I hope you don't think that I'm trying to push my beliefs on anyone. Just discussing these issues.

Falun Dafa is good.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: I wasn't

Talk25 wrote:

I wasn't sure you would accept an explanation. 1. I used to suffer severe depression from time to time. After I started practicing Falun Dafa, I had an experience which felt like a cleansing (I was alone at the time). I have not experienced depression since that time. 2. I have become more creative since practicing. This has led directly to several thousand dollars in bonuses at work for my creative problem solving.

I offer these two items as evidence of how Falun Dafa has helped me intellectually. You should not expect that I could explain how it works. It just does, for me.

While helping your depression is definitely a good thing, and I admit that fantasy helps to fuel creativity, I wouldn't necessarily call it intellectual development. In this case, it seems that we disagree on the definition of the term. I would like to concede the point that Falun Dafa has been helpful to you personally, while maintaining my position that it wouldn't have been any more useful than any other religion (other religions can also offer support in times of need and can certainly help fuel creativity).

Fish wrote:
Despite your claim, Falun Dafa is indeed a religion.

Talk25 wrote:

I believe that again there may be a disagreement in terms. While Falun Dafa may not include worship of any god or gods, it certainly includes teachings and practices that ignore reality. (as an aside, do you consider Buddhism a religion? They have no god.)

Here are a list of beliefs outlined in the book China Falun Gong that you had mentioned:

Belief in ultimate knowledge (from "On Buddha Law" )

Quote:
There is nothing that Buddha Law cannot explain - it penetrates all mysteries, from those of particles and molecules to those of the universe, from small things to great things.

Quote:
Only one thing can completely unlock the mysteries of the universe, space-time, and the human body: Buddha Law. It can truly distinguish virtue from vice, and good from evil, and it can put an end to wrong views while providing the right views

Creation Myths (pg 2)

Quote:
From what investigations by people with supernatural abilities have found, the universe we live in is an entity that was remade after being exploded nine times. The planet we dwell on has been destroyed many times. Each time the planet was remade, the human race began to multiply

Random Mysticism

pg 18

Quote:
The law wheel of falun gong has the same nature as the universe, for it is a miniature universe... Once developed, a person's law wheel exists as a living, intelligent entity. It automatically spins ceaselessly in the practitioner's lower abdominal area, constantly absorbing and tranforming energy from the universe and ultimately evolving the energy in the practitioner's innate body into gong

pg 24

Quote:
Falun Gong cultivation involves no directing with thought. A person's thoughts don't accomplish anything by themselves, though they can send out commands. What is really at work are supernatural abilities, which have an intelligent being's capacity to think and can receive commands from the brain's signals.

pg 34

Quote:
Karma is a type of black matter that is the opposite of virtue.... Karma is produced by a person's doing wrong in this life or in past lives. For instance, killing, taking advantage of others, infringing upon others' interests, gossiping about someone behind his or her back, being unfriendly to someone, and so on can all create karma. In addition, some karma is passed on from ancestors, family and relatives, or close friends.

Dangerous beliefs in medicine (pg. 70)

Quote:
Q: While cultivating, do we still need to take medicine?

A: you should think and decide for yourself about this. Taking medicine while cultivating implies that you don't believe in cultivation's ability to heal; why would you take medicine if you believed in it. If you don't hold yourself to our character standard, problems might come up and you might say that Li Hongzhi doesn't let you take medicine, but Li Hongzhi asked you to make strict demands on your character, and have you done that? ...You first have to believe if you are to see

*emphasis mine

By far the most tellng is the last sentence. You must believe before you can see the "proof". That sounds like just about every other religion to me.

Talk25 wrote:
I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "rules of behavior", unless you're talking about thinking of others before one's self, maintaining virtue and avoiding things that create karma, and following "Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance" to the best of one's ability and understanding. IMO, these are not exactly "rules of behavior." To me, they seem more like guide lines based on moral principles. I'm sure you don't find fault with that.

I do find fault, as that is exactly what I mean. You follow this behavior because you are afraid of Karma coming back to get you. You think that by being good, you can cultivate supernatural powers. This is no different than doing it for fear of retribution in an afterlife.

In addition, the "Karma" section quoted above mentions that you can gain karma from the actions of ancestors and family. Being blamed for actions of people who lived long before you? That sounds awfully familiar...

Talk25 wrote:
It seems to me that you do not know the CCP very well. The reason they persecute people is to maintain power through violence and intimidation. Class struggle is part of communist ideology. It's history that they've put together some type of persecution of about 5% of the Chinese people every 7 to 10 years.

The thing I find most problematic with your comment is that you're blaming the victims. It is irrational to say that if Falun Dafa did not exist there would be nothing for the CCP to persecute. They do persecute others as well, just nobody stands up against it on the scale we do. I'm sure you don't find fault in standing up for one's rights to freedom of belief, without the threat of violence from the central government of a country with 1.2 billion people.

As far as not needing religion (or mysticism) to lead a peaceful life. I agree. I hope you don't think that I'm trying to push my beliefs on anyone. Just discussing these issues.

I am aware of the actions of the Chinese goverment. As I stated before, what they are doing is wrong. There is no debate about that.

I am not blaming the victim. Is saying that it's a bad idea to walk down a dark alley by yourself at night blaming the victim? Of course everyone should stand up for the right to believe whatever nonsense they want. However, you seem to be missing the point that I, and others in this thread, have made. Religions like Falun Dafa create differences. By separating the "enlightened" from the rest of us, it creates an artificial, unnecessary divide in people, and such divisions often lead to violence, as is the case here. The Chinese government is wrong, and their actions are deplorable, but they still use the religion as an excuse.  Religion is a powerful excuse because people tend to rally behind them easily, and tend to be far less suspicious or questioning of the actions required of them.  The argument that is made is that without religion (which is unnecessary), there would be fewer excuses for violence in situations like this.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
First, Thank you for

First, Thank you for posting so many quotes from China Falun Gong. I really didn't expect that.

Fish wrote:
Despite your claim, Falun Dafa is indeed a religion.

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
I believe that again there may be a disagreement in terms. While Falun Dafa may not include worship of any god or gods, it certainly includes teachings and practices that ignore reality. (as an aside, do you consider Buddhism a religion? They have no god.)

The way I see it, the Buddha school's understanding of what is a god and what is a religion is quite a bit different from how Western society views it. I won't pretend to be able to explain it with my limited understanding.

Fish wrote:
Here are a list of beliefs outlined in the book China Falun Gong that you had mentioned:...

You have your understanding, which is quite a bit different from mine. I do not think the way you do about these things. If I did, it would be pretty difficult for me to cultivate this way. Hopefully, you can at least agree that the teachings can be understood in many different ways.

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
I do find fault, as that is exactly what I mean. You follow this behavior because you are afraid of Karma coming back to get you. You think that by being good, you can cultivate supernatural powers. This is no different than doing it for fear of retribution in an afterlife.

Here you are claiming to know why I "follow this behavior". Again, I find this irrational. How could you possibly know why I do something, if I have not told you the reason? It seems to me that you are making things up to support your preconceived ideas.

Fish wrote:
In addition, the "Karma" section quoted above mentions that you can gain karma from the actions of ancestors and family. Being blamed for actions of people who lived long before you? That sounds awfully familiar...

Ok, it sounds familiar. But, what do you think is wrong with that idea?

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
I am aware of the actions of the Chinese goverment. As I stated before, what they are doing is wrong. There is no debate about that.

I am not blaming the victim. Is saying that it's a bad idea to walk down a dark alley by yourself at night blaming the victim?

No, that's not blaming the victim, but you did not say it that way. You said something like 'if Falun Dafa did not exist there would be nothing to persecute.' Would you also say that if women didn't wear short skirts, there would be no one to rape? Your analogy leaves open the possibility that there may be a safer place to walk. That's not the reality in China for Falun Dafa practitioners.

Fish wrote:
Of course everyone should stand up for the right to believe whatever nonsense they want. However, you seem to be missing the point that I, and others in this thread, have made. Religions like Falun Dafa create differences. By separating the "enlightened" from the rest of us, it creates an artificial, unnecessary divide in people, and such divisions often lead to violence, as is the case here. The Chinese government is wrong, and their actions are deplorable, but they still use the religion as an excuse. Religion is a powerful excuse because people tend to rally behind them easily, and tend to be far less suspicious or questioning of the actions required of them.

I do understand your point about beliefs making people different. I disagree with your contention that the differences or divisions caused by "religion" are artificial and unnecessary. The fact is that everyone on earth is different from everyone else anyway. These differnces naturally cause divisions among people. It is not only "religions" that cause divisions, and there is nothing inherently wrong with there being divisions between people. For instance, Doctors can be separated from lawyers who can be separated from farmers, etc., etc., etc.

You seem to be focusing on people who believe differently from you, suggesting that they might not be persecuted if they didn't have those beliefs, which you insult as being nonsense and unncessary; as though you have superior knowledge. Do you think that you are more "enlightened" than people who believe differently from you? Be honest. Where are we going with this?

I also disagree with your contention that it is the differences or divisions between people that lead of violence. Again, I assert that it is intolerance of those differences and divisions that is to blame, not the differences and divisions themselves. Of course I also recognize that some religions do promote the idea of "superiority", and they use that as an excuse for violence.

I hope to assure you that that is quite the opposite of what is taught in Falun Dafa. I am a Falun Dafa practitioner and that is my understanding.

Fish wrote:
The argument that is made is that without religion (which is unnecessary), there would be fewer excuses for violence in situations like this.

It sounds to me like you're lending justification to the perpetrators of violence, as though it can be expected. What if someone turned it around and said something like: "Non-believers are nonsensical, their beilefs are unnecessary and if they didn't exist, there would be fewer excuses for us to commit violence against them." Would it be ok to then say what you did? To me, that sounds irrational and irresponsible.

I don't mean to insult you by using the words 'irrational' and 'irresponsible'. However, I do challenge you to show how your contentions may be thought of as rational and responsible, while maintaining tolerance for different views.

Final note: I may not be able to reply anymore to this thread. It's taking too much of my time that I desparately need for working for a peaceful end to the persecution.

Falun Dafa is good.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: Here you are

Talk25 wrote:

Here you are claiming to know why I "follow this behavior". Again, I find this irrational. How could you possibly know why I do something, if I have not told you the reason? It seems to me that you are making things up to support your preconceived ideas.

In your initial post, you claimed to practice Falun Dafa. You also named two books that outline the beliefs of Falun Dafa. I quoted the books and assumed that, since you are a practictioner, the quoted sections applied to you. Which part am I making up? The only ideas that I presented are the ones I took from the books you mentioned. I don't understand what you mean by saying you practice Falun Dafa if you don't follow the writings of the books.

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:

I think it is wrong for someone to be held responsible for the actions of someone else. The only exception I know if would be if that person tricked or coerced the other person. Seeing as how my ancestors died before I was born, I hardly see how I could have influenced their actions. Please explain to me why I should be punished for the actions of someone else.

Talk 25 wrote:

No, that's not blaming the victim, but you did not say it that way. You said something like 'if Falun Dafa did not exist there would be nothing to persecute.' Would you also say that if women didn't wear short skirts, there would be no one to rape? Your analogy leaves open the possibility that there may be a safer place to walk. That's not the reality in China for Falun Dafa practitioners.

A woman has a choice. She decides what kind of clothes to wear. In an ideal world, she could run around naked and live happily and unmolested. We do not live in an ideal world.

However, let me be perfectly clear. There is no excuse for anyone to rape anyone else. I am not "lending justification" to criminals. Please stop saying that. It simply is not true.

You have brought the persecution of Falun Dafa practitioners in China into the discussion. The reason they are being persecuted is because of their religion. Is it right? No. Is it their fault? No. How does this relate to religion and violence? Imagine a world with no religion. Would there be less violence? I can't say for sure. Quite possibly not. However, there certainly have been many acts of violence motivated by religion.

Talk 25 wrote:
I do understand your point about beliefs making people different. I disagree with your contention that the differences or divisions caused by "religion" are artificial and unnecessary.

How are they not artifical? The teachings are something made up by someone. I'm not sure how they're not unnecessary. What function do they serve?

Talk 25 wrote:
The fact is that everyone on earth is different from everyone else anyway. These differnces naturally cause divisions among people. It is not only "religions" that cause divisions, and there is nothing inherently wrong with there being divisions between people. For instance, Doctors can be separated from lawyers who can be separated from farmers, etc., etc., etc.

Everyone is different, but in many ways these are "natural" differences, by which I mean the person had no choice. You cannot choose where you were born, or to what race, what gender, etc. I will admit that you also can't decide what religion your parents are, so your upbringing is also not your choice. However, as an adult, your religion is your choice. You can decide what religion to follow. When these choices cause dischord between people, isn't that a bad thing? The difference between a lawyer and a doctor is useful because I can go to one when I'm sick and one when I'm arrested. However, the differences between religions are not useful. If you know of a time when different religions created a mutually beneficial reaction between people, please let me know.

Talk25 wrote:
You seem to be focusing on people who believe differently from you, suggesting that they might not be persecuted if they didn't have those beliefs, which you insult as being nonsense and unncessary; as though you have superior knowledge. Do you think that you are more "enlightened" than people who believe differently from you? Be honest. Where are we going with this?

Do I believe that I am more "enlightened" than people who believe in intelligent universes living in their guts and that they can heal people with their minds? Yes, I do. I know that wisdom is not directly related to knowledge or intelligence, but I don't think that I could ever consider someone who is willfully ignornant to be wise. Perhaps I am too pragmatic.

Talk25 wrote:
I also disagree with your contention that it is the differences or divisions between people that lead of violence. Again, I assert that it is intolerance of those differences and divisions that is to blame, not the differences and divisions themselves. Of course I also recognize that some religions do promote the idea of "superiority", and they use that as an excuse for violence.

I hope to assure you that that is quite the opposite of what is taught in Falun Dafa. I am a Falun Dafa practitioner and that is my understanding.

I don't understand how you feel that Falun Dafa doesn't support the idea of superiority. The religion claims to have the only moral standard. The religion commonly refers to "ordinary people" as opposed to the "enlightened." If someone is happy working for money as opposed to "englightemenet" I would not judge that person. Let's take another look at the book (pg 81) :

Quote:
The main goal of Falun Dafa cultivation is to guide people up to high levels. It's not about doing that kind of thing, but it can do a lot to promote better civility in society.

Why do you think that Falun Dafa has the ultimate knowledge of what is good and bad? What evidence do they present to support the idea that people should follow their standards? Why should I submit myself to their teachings?

Talk25 wrote:
It sounds to me like you're lending justification to the perpetrators of violence, as though it can be expected. What if someone turned it around and said something like: "Non-believers are nonsensical, their beilefs are unnecessary and if they didn't exist, there would be fewer excuses for us to commit violence against them." Would it be ok to then say what you did? To me, that sounds irrational and irresponsible.

It would be fine for you to say that IF you back up your claims. I have shown why Falun Dafa is nonsensical, since it makes claims that have no basis in reality. Show me how a naturalistic view is nonsensical.

Religion is like a monarchy.  If the king truely loves and cares about his people, it's possible for the people to be happy and peaceful, but if the king doesn't it's simple for him to take advantage of them.  Religion isn't necessary for people to be good.  I prefer to promote morality on its own merits without invoking "supernatural" effects.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Well, I started this. I

Well, I started this. I might as well go with it for a while. Sorry its so long, but I think you'll enjoy reading it.

Fish wrote:
Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
In your initial post, you claimed to practice Falun Dafa. You also named two books that outline the beliefs of Falun Dafa. I quoted the books and assumed that, since you are a practictioner, the quoted sections applied to you. Which part am I making up? The only ideas that I presented are the ones I took from the books you mentioned. I don't understand what you mean by saying you practice Falun Dafa if you don't follow the writings of the books.

The part you are making up is claiming to know why I practice Falun Dafa. I don't blame you for having a widely different understanding of the teachings, as you are not a student of Falun Dafa (as I understand it). Even practitioners have different understandings of Dafa. I certainly do not practice out of fear of karma or some desire to obtain supernatural powers, as you claim. In fact, it is my understanding that doing it that way is not in compliance with the teachings.

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:

Fish wrote:
I think it is wrong for someone to be held responsible for the actions of someone else. The only exception I know if would be if that person tricked or coerced the other person. Seeing as how my ancestors died before I was born, I hardly see how I could have influenced their actions. Please explain to me why I should be punished for the actions of someone else.

Ok. I understand your point. Please understand that I cannot explain one bit of Falun Dafa to you. I am not the Master. I would only confuse you (not that I haven't already). Another way to look at what you quoted is as an incentive to follow moral principles, kind of like not creating polution for your children's generation to have to live with.

Talk 25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
A woman has a choice. She decides what kind of clothes to wear. In an ideal world, she could run around naked and live happily and unmolested. We do not live in an ideal world.

However, let me be perfectly clear. There is no excuse for anyone to rape anyone else. I am not "lending justification" to criminals. Please stop saying that. It simply is not true.

I think I'll just let it go at that, short of complete agreement.

Talk 25 wrote:
I do understand your point about beliefs making people different. I disagree with your contention that the differences or divisions caused by "religion" are artificial and unnecessary.

Fish wrote:
How are they not artifical? The teachings are something made up by someone. I'm not sure how they're not unnecessary. What function do they serve?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that by saying "artificial differences" you mean to say that the differences caused by "religion" are chosen differences. As in differences made by people's choices rather than genetics and other things not within their direct control. Name two people who've always made the same choices. What's the big deal. People are all different in many different ways.

What's the purpose of the teachings? I think you quoted the book as saying: "The main goal of Falun Dafa cultivation is to guide people up to high levels." Seems as good a purpose as any.

Talk 25 wrote:
The fact is that everyone on earth is different from everyone else anyway. These differnces naturally cause divisions among people. It is not only "religions" that cause divisions, and there is nothing inherently wrong with there being divisions between people. For instance, Doctors can be separated from lawyers who can be separated from farmers, etc., etc., etc.

Fish wrote:
Everyone is different, but in many ways these are "natural" differences, by which I mean the person had no choice. You cannot choose where you were born, or to what race, what gender, etc. I will admit that you also can't decide what religion your parents are, so your upbringing is also not your choice. However, as an adult, your religion is your choice. You can decide what religion to follow. When these choices cause dischord between people, isn't that a bad thing? The difference between a lawyer and a doctor is useful because I can go to one when I'm sick and one when I'm arrested. However, the differences between religions are not useful. If you know of a time when different religions created a mutually beneficial reaction between people, please let me know.

Certainly discord between people does not seem good if it goes too far. Disagreement is ok, and agreeing to disagree is ok. There is a story about Ghandi. I don't know the details but it goes something like this. Ghandi went on a hunger strike until the people from two different religions stopped killing each other. One man came to Ghandi and begged him to eat. He felt guilty and did not want Ghandi's death on his conscience, because he had killed someone from the other religion. Ghandi agreed to eat if the man would adopt an orphan from the other religion. Different religions, peaceful resolution. Is this the exception to the rule. I can't say, but I doubt it. It's just something that rarely makes the 6:00 news or major chapters in history books.

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
Do I believe that I am more "enlightened" than people who believe in intelligent universes living in their guts and that they can heal people with their minds? Yes, I do. I know that wisdom is not directly related to knowledge or intelligence, but I don't think that I could ever consider someone who is willfully ignornant to be wise. Perhaps I am too pragmatic.

Smiling I knew you did feel more "enlightened". Most people do. It's not a problem. Right? But, please stop with the insults. Being more "enlightened" in one way or another is not a good excuse to insult others.

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
I don't understand how you feel that Falun Dafa doesn't support the idea of superiority. The religion claims to have the only moral standard. The religion commonly refers to "ordinary people" as opposed to the "enlightened." If someone is happy working for money as opposed to "englightemenet" I would not judge that person. Let's take another look at the book (pg 81) :

Quote:
The main goal of Falun Dafa cultivation is to guide people up to high levels. It's not about doing that kind of thing, but it can do a lot to promote better civility in society.

Fish wrote:
Why do you think that Falun Dafa has the ultimate knowledge of what is good and bad? What evidence do they present to support the idea that people should follow their standards? Why should I submit myself to their teachings?

Actually, I didn't say that Falun Dafa does not promote the idea of superiority. I intended to say that it does not use any such thing as an excuse for violence. Falun Dafa is completely peaceful and beneficial to individual practitioners, which in turn can be beneficial to society, though that is not its purpose. JMO.

As for having "the only moral standard". That's most certainly not the case.

Zhuan Falun, The Qimen School wrote:
Why isn’t it an evil practice? This is because it also has strict xinxing [moral character, T25] requirements. Its cultivation practice also follows the characteristic of the universe. It does not violate the characteristic or the law of the universe, and neither does it engage in committing wrong deeds. Therefore, it cannot be called an evil practice. The Buddha School and the Tao School are orthodox schools, not because the characteristic of the universe conforms to their practices, but because the practices of both the Buddha School and the Tao School observe the characteristic of the universe. If the Qimen School’s cultivation practice also complies with the characteristic of the universe, it is not an evil practice, but a righteous school as well. This is because the criterion for discerning good or bad and benevolence or evil is the characteristic of the universe. Its cultivation abides by the characteristic of the universe, so it is also a righteous way, despite that its requirements differ from those in the Buddha School and the Tao School.

The distinction between ordinary people and cultivators is a common idea in Eastern society and readily acknowledged. Nothing wrong with being an ordinary person, it's just that a cultivator follows a different path in life. Who would want to be a cultivator? It's very difficult to give up attachments and raise one's morality. From an ordinary person's perspective, it just isn't practical.

As for "guide people up to high levels", I don't see what could be wrong with that. It's up to individual people if they want to cultivate that way. I never suggested that you should do it.

Let's note who used the words "ultimate knowledge of what is good and bad". Seems to me it was Fish.

My understanding of so-called ultimate truth/knowledge (utk) is probably quite a bit different from most people. I think most people would expect that when two people encounter utk, they would both agree exactly what it was. But how could that be possible? I'd say the human mind can only comprehend so much, and each one is different. So, what one person understands will naturally be quite a bit different from the other, though neither is completely wrong or completely right. Not Dafa, Just My Opinion Smiling

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
It would be fine for you to say that IF you back up your claims. I have shown why Falun Dafa is nonsensical, since it makes claims that have no basis in reality. Show me how a naturalistic view is nonsensical.

Perhaps I was being too sensative and not really thinking about the point you were trying to make. I do, however, feel that your statement here would be well served with a qualifier as what follows in parentheses. "I have shown why Falun Dafa is nonsensical, since it makes claims that have no basis in (the) reality (that I, Fish, understand)."

You aren't, by the way, claiming to have the sole and ultimate understanding of reality are you? Smiling If not, I'd say that leaves room for some things that you might not understand. JMO.

Fish wrote:
Religion is like a monarchy. If the king truely loves and cares about his people, it's possible for the people to be happy and peaceful, but if the king doesn't it's simple for him to take advantage of them. Religion isn't necessary for people to be good. I prefer to promote morality on its own merits without invoking "supernatural" effects.

Bravo! Promoting morality is something we can certainly agree on.

Sorry if I seemed too combative or contradictory in my earlier posts. I've been going through some hard times lately. It's been difficult for me to manifest Truth, Compassion, Forbearance to the best of my ability.

I do want to thank you for engaging me in this very important and fulfilling discussion.

Falun Dafa is good.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Religion

MattShizzle wrote:
Religion is certainly the worst thing humans ever invented. ...

I'd say that any religion invented by humans would certainly not be all that good. Also, any religion with devine providence can easily be twisted by the people who practice it.

The only way I see for a religion to remain good, is if it truly follows good principles as taught by a true, good Master.

Falun Dafa is good.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard wrote: It

inspectormustard wrote:

I never thought of it that way. I can certainly understand why non-practitioners would see it like that. Thanks for your point of view.

Falun Dafa is good.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: I'd say that

Talk25 wrote:
I'd say that any religion invented by humans would certainly not be all that good. Also, any religion with devine providence can easily be twisted by the people who practice it.

The only way I see for a religion to remain good, is if it truly follows good principles as taught by a true, good Master.

Every religion, including Falun Dafa was invented by humans.

I did indeed use the words "ultimate knowledge of what is good and bad" because Falun Dafa does make that claim. The misunderstanding is that I would't say that Falun Dafa would say it is the only good religion. However, the fact that they can judge other religions, and that they can claim knowledge of the "law of the universe" is what I find fault with. Even the existence of such a law, much less having complete knowledge of it, has not been shown.

Talk25 wrote:

As for "guide people up to high levels", I don't see what could be wrong with that. It's up to individual people if they want to cultivate that way. I never suggested that you should do it.

What is wrong with it is the idea that there are people at higher levels. You say that there is nothing wrong with being ordinary, but if practitioners are at higher levels, wouldn't that put everyone else at lower levels? If there is nothing wrong with being ordinary, why aren't you just an ordinary person?

Talk25 wrote:
Perhaps I was being too sensative and not really thinking about the point you were trying to make. I do, however, feel that your statement here would be well served with a qualifier as what follows in parentheses. "I have shown why Falun Dafa is nonsensical, since it makes claims that have no basis in (the) reality (that I, Fish, understand)."

Talk 25 wrote:
The part you are making up is claiming to know why I practice Falun Dafa. I don't blame you for having a widely different understanding of the teachings, as you are not a student of Falun Dafa (as I understand it). Even practitioners have different understandings of Dafa. I certainly do not practice out of fear of karma or some desire to obtain supernatural powers, as you claim. In fact, it is my understanding that doing it that way is not in compliance with the teachings.

Talk25 wrote:
Ok. I understand your point. Please understand that I cannot explain one bit of Falun Dafa to you. I am not the Master. I would only confuse you (not that I haven't already). Another way to look at what you quoted is as an incentive to follow moral principles, kind of like not creating polution for your children's generation to have to live with.

I am frustrated by this part of the conversation. You are correct in that I don't understand how you practice. The only information I have is the information you give me, including the information from the two books. I have quoted the books, which seem to clearly state that good behavior is used to aviod karma and to aid cultivation. If you could explain how they actually say otherwise, that would be helpful.

How is your reality different from mine? Are you saying that we live in different universes? I don't understand.

An "incentive to follow moral principles"? That's what I said Karma was initially (the incentive to be good is to avoid karma and help you gain supernatural powers (i.e. cultivation)). So which is it?

Talk25 wrote:
Actually, I didn't say that Falun Dafa does not promote the idea of superiority. I intended to say that it does not use any such thing as an excuse for violence.

Talk25 wrote:
Of course I also recognize that some religions do promote the idea of "superiority", and they use that as an excuse for violence.

So does Falun Dafa promote superiority or not?

I would say that it does: (China Falun Gong pg 30)

Quote:
The path of cultivation is the most correct one, and practitioners are actually the smartest people. The things that everyday people struggle for and the minute benefits they gain are fleeting.

Is that how you feel? If it is not how you feel, please explain to me why the book (which I understood to contain the teachings of Falun Dafa) makes that statement. They seem to be directly conflicting.

Talk25 wrote:
Certainly discord between people does not seem good if it goes too far. Disagreement is ok, and agreeing to disagree is ok. There is a story about Ghandi. I don't know the details but it goes something like this. Ghandi went on a hunger strike until the people from two different religions stopped killing each other. One man came to Ghandi and begged him to eat. He felt guilty and did not want Ghandi's death on his conscience, because he had killed someone from the other religion. Ghandi agreed to eat if the man would adopt an orphan from the other religion. Different religions, peaceful resolution. Is this the exception to the rule. I can't say, but I doubt it. It's just something that rarely makes the 6:00 news or major chapters in history books.

I wasn't aware of this story. Do you know where I could read more about it? I am very interested in the details.

However, even so, it seems to me that it was the hunger strike and the guilt that coerced the people to stop fighting. I don't see how their different religions helped them to settle the issue. I didn't say that there can't be peaceful resolutions between people of different religions. I said "If you know of a time when different religions created a mutually beneficial reaction between people, please let me know." The idea being that being of two different religions hasn't ever made a situation better (as opposed to being neutral or actually worse). I don't see how that applies here, so if you could explain that would be helpful.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Religion

MattShizzle wrote:
Religion is certainly the worst thing humans ever invented. Falun Gong is relatively benign, but it tends to piss of the Chinese government (who call themselves Communist but tend to be extreme capitlists!)

Yeah, I went to China several years ago as a teenager. There was nothing remotely communist about it. For fucksake there was a McDonalds on every street corner, some people driving very posh Lexuses (or Lexi?) while everyone else was cycling round on crappy old bikes. The only thing communist about it is the name of the government.

As for this Fulun Gong, I agree with Mr Shizzle, it seems fairly benign. I do not think religion is the root of all evil, and it can do a lot of good, the problem is that it can be used to justify any evil, and many people are extremely gullable.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Talk25 wrote:

I've be arguing this for quite some time. Theism isn't evil, people are evil

Theism is evil. However I contend that the root of all evil is poor critical thinking, religion just happens to be a derivitive of that evil.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote: As

Jacob Cordingley wrote:
As for this Fulun Gong, I agree with Mr Shizzle, it seems fairly benign

It's clear you don't know much about Falun Gong. It is just as full of intolerance, misinformation, and segregation as every other religion.

As a clear example, let's look at Falun Gong's view of homosexuality. Here is a quote straight from the mouth of the founder, Mr. Li Hongzhi (from his lecture "Teaching the Fa at the Conference in Switzerland" which can be read on the FalunDafa.org website here. it's at the bottom under "other writings of Mr. Li Hongzhi)

Li Hongzhi wrote:
Question: Why is homosexuality considered immoral?

Teacher: Think about it, everyone: Is homosexuality human behavior? Heaven created man and woman. What was the purpose? To procreate future generations. A man being with a man, or a woman with a woman - it doesn't take much thought to know whether that's right or wrong. When minor things are done incorrectly, a person is said to be wrong. When major things are done incorrectly, it's a case of people no longer having the moral code of human beings, and then they are unworthy of being human.

Let me tell you why today's society has become how it is. It results from there not being an upright Fa to keep human beings in check. This Dafa is taught right in the most chaotic environment, at a time when no religion can save people, and where the circumstance is that no god takes interest in people anymore. The Fa is almightly. The best time periods wouldn't require such a great Fa to be taught. Only in the worst time periods can the power of the Fa manifest. There are other reasons, too.

Question: Why is it that homosexuals are considered bad people?

Teacher: Let me tell you, if I weren't teaching this Fa today, gods' first target of annihilation would be homosexuals. It's not me who would destroy them, but gods. You know that homosexuals have found legitimacy in that homosexuality was around back in teh culture of ancient Greece. Yes, there was a similar phenomenon in ancient Greek culture. And do you know why ancient Greek culture is no more? Why are the ancient Greeks gone? Because they had degenerated to that extent, and so they were destroyed.

When gods created man they prescribed standards for human behavior and living. When human beings overstep those boundaries, they are no longer called human beings, though they still assume the outer appearance of a human. So gods can't tolerate their existence and will destroy them. Do you know why wars, epidemics, and natural and man-made disasters happen in this world? They're precisely because human beings have karma, and those events exist to remove it. No matter how wonderful a time period my be in the future, there will still be wars, epidemics, and natural and man-made disasters on earth. They are a way of eliminating karma for people. Some people who have sinned can have their karma eliminated through the death of the flesh body and suffering, and then they'll be free of that karma when they reincarnate Their lives don't really die and they reincarnate again. But the karma that some people have accrued is too much, in which case the fundamental elements of their existence will be implicated and destroyed.

Homoesexuals not only violate the standards that gods set for mankind, but also damage human society's moral code. In particular, the impression it gives children will turn future societies into something demonic. That's the issue. That kind of destruction, however, isn't just about disappearing after they're annihilated. That person is annihilated layer after layer at a rate that seems pretty rapid to us but in fact is extremely slow in that time field. Over and over again, one is annihilated in an extremely painful way. It's terribly frighteing. A person should live in an upright manner, living honorably like a human being. He shouldn't indulge his demon-nature and do whatever he likes.

So, homosexuals are non-human demonic creatures resposibile for the fall of great civilizations. That sounds exactly like "Truth, Kindness, and Tolerance" to me...

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: Jacob

Fish wrote:

Jacob Cordingley wrote:
As for this Fulun Gong, I agree with Mr Shizzle, it seems fairly benign

It's clear you don't know much about Falun Gong. It is just as full of intolerance, misinformation, and segregation as every other religion.

Fish wrote:
As a clear example, let's look at Falun Gong's view of homosexuality. Here is a quote straight from the mouth of the founder, Mr. Li Hongzhi (from his lecture "Teaching the Fa at the Conference in Switzerland" which can be read on the FalunDafa.org website here. it's at the bottom under "other writings of Mr. Li Hongzhi)

So, homosexuals are non-human demonic creatures resposibile for the fall of great civilizations. That sounds exactly like "Truth, Kindness, and Tolerance" to me...

We can see that Teacher Li did not say it quite the way Fish has characterized it. Let's note that Master Li did say "... if I weren't teaching this Fa today,..." and "It's not me who would destroy them, but gods."

Fortunately for humanity he is teaching this Fa today. Also, note that Falun Dafa is completely peaceful. While I understand homosexuality to be something that causes karma, as a Dafa practitioner, it is not my place to tell others how to live their lives. Nor has Master Li ever said that anyone has to follow his teachings. Nor has he ever said anything about him or Falun Dafa doing anything to prevent or hinder anyone from living their lives how they see fit (except with regard to the persecution). So yes, it is benevolent, especially if you consider that he is explaining to people one way that they can avoid creating karma which will have to be repaid later.

Falun Dafa is good.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I'm only going to reply to

I'm only going to reply to selected portions. I've got a lot of other stuff I need to do.

Fish wrote:
I did indeed use the words "ultimate knowledge of what is good and bad" because Falun Dafa does make that claim. The misunderstanding is that I would't say that Falun Dafa would say it is the only good religion. However, the fact that they can judge other religions, and that they can claim knowledge of the "law of the universe" is what I find fault with. Even the existence of such a law, much less having complete knowledge of it, has not been shown.

Not everyone will agree that it has been shown that such a law does exist, that's to be expected. It is my contention that such a law is something beyond ordinary teachings; like law, physics, accounting, history, etc. It's ok if you don't believe it, don't understand it, or just don't accept it.

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
What is wrong with it is the idea that there are people at higher levels. You say that there is nothing wrong with being ordinary, but if practitioners are at higher levels, wouldn't that put everyone else at lower levels? If there is nothing wrong with being ordinary, why aren't you just an ordinary person?

Indeed. Why would I subject myself to the pain of cultivation? Perhaps I see a benefit in it that others do not understand. BTW, I have no idea what level I am at. Just like I don't know what level you are at. It would be irrational for me to claim to be at a higher level than you or anyone else. So, I don't make any such claims. JMO.

Talk25 wrote:

Talk 25 wrote:

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
I am frustrated by this part of the conversation. You are correct in that I don't understand how you practice. The only information I have is the information you give me, including the information from the two books. I have quoted the books, which seem to clearly state that good behavior is used to aviod karma and to aid cultivation. If you could explain how they actually say otherwise, that would be helpful.

Sorry, I don't have that ability. If you really want to understand Dafa, there's only one Teacher. The way I understand it best is to study with a clear, open mind. Not always easy, even if you're trying.

Fish wrote:
How is your reality different from mine? Are you saying that we live in different universes? I don't understand.

An "incentive to follow moral principles"? That's what I said Karma was initially (the incentive to be good is to avoid karma and help you gain supernatural powers (i.e. cultivation)). So which is it?

If you'll re-read what I said you'll see that I was talking about our perceptions of reality, not reality itself. How could two people experience it the same way?

Sorry I confused you. The only way to understand Fa is to genuinely study Fa, not interpretations. JMO.

Talk25 wrote:
Actually, I didn't say that Falun Dafa does not promote the idea of superiority. I intended to say that it does not use any such thing as an excuse for violence.

Talk25 wrote:
Of course I also recognize that some religions do promote the idea of "superiority", and they use that as an excuse for violence.

Fish wrote:

Quote:
The path of cultivation is the most correct one, and practitioners are actually the smartest people. The things that everyday people struggle for and the minute benefits they gain are fleeting.

Is that how you feel? If it is not how you feel, please explain to me why the book (which I understood to contain the teachings of Falun Dafa) makes that statement. They seem to be directly conflicting.

You would say it does promote superiority, and would not say that it does not. (In Western culture, these two ideas may sound exactly the same. In Eastern culture, the difference is understood more readily.) The teachings do give me a sense of well being and a sense that I know things that others do not know. You may see that as "superiority", and it well may be one definition of that.

However, I do recall that you also mentioned that you feel more "enlightened" than some others. (correct me if I'm wrong) Is there anything wrong with having such a high level of self confidence that it could be thought of as feeling superior? I don't think so. Feeling superior in itself is not a problem. The problem comes when people use that as an excuse to harm others.

This is also a common idea in ordinary society. Look at athletes. Is there anything wrong with one athlete thinking he's superior to another athlete? Of course not, and it's not only in the field of sports.

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:
I wasn't aware of this story. Do you know where I could read more about it? I am very interested in the details.

It's just something I read once.

Fish wrote:
However, even so, it seems to me that it was the hunger strike and the guilt that coerced the people to stop fighting. I don't see how their different religions helped them to settle the issue. I didn't say that there can't be peaceful resolutions between people of different religions. I said "If you know of a time when different religions created a mutually beneficial reaction between people, please let me know." The idea being that being of two different religions hasn't ever made a situation better (as opposed to being neutral or actually worse). I don't see how that applies here, so if you could explain that would be helpful.

I just gave the first answer that came to mind. It's not my purpose to get into a discussion about how different religions respond to each other. I'm not interested in that topic.

Falun Dafa is good.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: We can see

Talk25 wrote:
We can see that Teacher Li did not say it quite the way Fish has characterized it.

Who is this "we" and how do they see that Li did not say it in the way I characterized it?

Let's see what I said:

Fish wrote:
So, homosexuals are non-human demonic creatures resposibile for the fall of great civilizations.

Let's see what Li Hongzhi said. I will add emphasis in case you need help:

"non-human"

Li Hongzhi wrote:
Think about it, everyone: Is homosexuality human behavior?

When gods created man they prescribed standards for human behavior and living. When human beings overstep those boundaries, they are no longer called human beings, though they still assume the outer appearance of a human.

"demonic"

Li Hongzhi wrote:
Homoesexuals not only violate the standards that gods set for mankind, but also damage human society's moral code. In particular, the impression it gives children will turn future societies into something demonic.

"creatures" (see non-human)

"responsible for the fall of great civilizations"

Li Hongzhi wrote:
You know that homosexuals have found legitimacy in that homosexuality was around back in teh culture of ancient Greece. Yes, there was a similar phenomenon in ancient Greek culture. And do you know why ancient Greek culture is no more? Why are the ancient Greeks gone? Because they had degenerated to that extent, and so they were destroyed.

Please explain how these I mischaracterized these quotes.

Talk25 wrote:
Let's note that Master Li did say "... if I weren't teaching this Fa today,..." and "It's not me who would destroy them, but gods."
Let's also note that Li Hongzhi said that they are demonic non-human creatures responsible for the fall of great civilizations.

The fact that he feels like he is "saving" them from the wrath of the gods by teaching his mysticism doesn't earn him any points.

Talk25 wrote:
Fortunately for humanity he is teaching this Fa today.

I do not need his help, nor does the rest of humanity, to be saved from his imaginary black karma devils. He is not helping anyone by spreading his prejudice.

Talk25 wrote:
Also, note that Falun Dafa is completely peaceful. While I understand homosexuality to be something that causes karma, as a Dafa practitioner, it is not my place to tell others how to live their lives.

Let me see if I have this right. You aren't telling people how to live their lives, you're just doing them the favor of telling them that they're participating in immoral behavior that attracts karma.

Tell me why homosexuality causes karma. How is it that you understand that? If you understand it, you'll be able to explain it, right?

Talk25 wrote:
Nor has Master Li ever said that anyone has to follow his teachings. Nor has he ever said anything about him or Falun Dafa doing anything to prevent or hinder anyone from living their lives how they see fit (except with regard to the persecution). So yes, it is benevolent, especially if you consider that he is explaining to people one way that they can avoid creating karma which will have to be repaid later.

I would not call any religion benevolent when it demonizes a group of people for no reason other than the fact that they are different.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: Indeed. Why

Talk25 wrote:
Indeed. Why would I subject myself to the pain of cultivation? Perhaps I see a benefit in it that others do not understand. BTW, I have no idea what level I am at. Just like I don't know what level you are at. It would be irrational for me to claim to be at a higher level than you or anyone else. So, I don't make any such claims. JMO.

First, you are completely missing the point. The fact is that Falun Dafa promotes people to certain levels, which are higher than ordinary people. That's it's purpose, right? However, the claim is unsupported by evidence. The very idea of levels exists only within the religion.

Second, it would not be irrational for you to claim that you are at a higher level. Why would it be? You have been practicing and cultivating. I have not. If that doesn't put you at a higher level, then what would?

Talk25 wrote:
If you'll re-read what I said you'll see that I was talking about our perceptions of reality, not reality itself. How could two people experience it the same way?

If we experience the same reality we should experience in the same way. There may be differences in opinions (e.g. if a sunset is beautiful), but there won't be a difference in facts (e.g. if the sun sets).

The teachings of Falun Dafa conflict with facts.

Talk25 wrote:
Sorry I confused you. The only way to understand Fa is to genuinely study Fa, not interpretations. JMO.

I thought I was studying the Fa. Aren't the books the teachings? What about his lectures? The quotes I have given aren't from some third-party source, they are the words of the founder of the religion.  If these sources are not the teachings of Falun Dafa, please let me know what is, so that I may study that instead.

Believing in something that you have no understanding of is blind faith. Blind faith is very dangerous because it hinders free thought. How can you claim that Falun Dafa promotes free thought, but at the same time there is only one "Teacher" who has the answers?

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:

Quote:

You would say it does promote superiority, and would not say that it does not. (In Western culture, these two ideas may sound exactly the same. In Eastern culture, the difference is understood more readily.) The teachings do give me a sense of well being and a sense that I know things that others do not know. You may see that as "superiority", and it well may be one definition of that.

However, I do recall that you also mentioned that you feel more "enlightened" than some others. (correct me if I'm wrong) Is there anything wrong with having such a high level of self confidence that it could be thought of as feeling superior? I don't think so. Feeling superior in itself is not a problem. The problem comes when people use that as an excuse to harm others.

We are in agreement that Falun Dafa teaches the superiority of its members. I also agree that sometimes it is appropriate to feel superior. What I don't agree with is the idea that practitioners of Falun Dafa are superior to ordinary people, a claim that it does make.

Yes, I do feel superior to the willfully ignorant. I do not feel superior to ordinary people, as I am an ordinary person.

Do you realize that Christianity is also a benevolent religion, according to the standards you used in your other post? It is a religion of love and tries to save people from eternal damnation in hell. Why aren't you a Christian?

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: The very idea

Fish wrote:
The very idea of levels exists only within the religion.

Not true. Unless one lives on a communistic society then levels are obvious and are used commonly. To assume all human life is equal is to assume that the presidents life is equal to bums... which is not the case.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote:

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Fish wrote:

Not true. Unless one lives on a communistic society then levels are obvious and are used commonly. To assume all human life is equal is to assume that the presidents life is equal to bums... which is not the case.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.

I was referring to the levels of enlightenment attained by cultivating using the methods described by the Falun Dafa texts.  They refer to them as "levels" as in "high level" or "gaining levels" so perhaps I should have used quotes.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: Fish

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Fish wrote:

Who says the president's life isn't equal to bums? Smiling (Just kidding) 

Falun Dafa is good.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I have to be brief. Fish

I have to be brief.

Fish wrote:
If we experience the same reality we should experience in the same way.

It is commonly known that if two people attend a lecture on a topic that they are both interested in, that they will both remember different things about that lecture. Often, they will even disagree on what was said. That's what I'm talking about when I say that we experience reality differently.

The Teachings of Falun Dafa are much different from ordinary topics and no two people will understand them exactly the same. In fact, each time I read Zhuan Falun, I gain new understanding. It seems like common sense to me to say that we experience reality differently.

It seems to me that when you read the Dafa writings, you have a different purpose than I do. I am studying for the purpose of guiding my cultivation in Truth, Compassion, Forbearance. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that your purpose is to try to find falut with it. That's why our understandings are different.

I've said it several times that it's ok if you don't want to follow this practice. Just reading the books does not make you a practitioner.

It's ok if you don't believe FD practitioners are superior to ordinary people. I've never said it that way either. I've never said "FD practitioners are superior to ordinary people" and neither is it written by Master Li in that manner.

Falun Dafa is good.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: Tell me why

Fish wrote:
Tell me why homosexuality causes karma. How is it that you understand that? If you understand it, you'll be able to explain it, right?

Way beyond my ability to explain. I do have a limited understanding of it. But of course, you're just looking for something to argue about. Which is what would happen if I tried to describe my understnading. Sorry, I've got better things to do.

In everything you've quoted and analysed in such great detail, did you find anything that made you feel that Master Li was calling for anyone to take any kind of action against homosexuals?

Falun Dafa is good.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: We can see

Talk25 wrote:

We can see that Teacher Li did not say it quite the way Fish has characterized it. Let's note that Master Li did say "... if I weren't teaching this Fa today,..." and "It's not me who would destroy them, but gods."

Fortunately for humanity he is teaching this Fa today. Also, note that Falun Dafa is completely peaceful. While I understand homosexuality to be something that causes karma, as a Dafa practitioner, it is not my place to tell others how to live their lives. Nor has Master Li ever said that anyone has to follow his teachings. Nor has he ever said anything about him or Falun Dafa doing anything to prevent or hinder anyone from living their lives how they see fit (except with regard to the persecution). So yes, it is benevolent, especially if you consider that he is explaining to people one way that they can avoid creating karma which will have to be repaid later.

The teaching is still that homosexuality is wrong and that your god will eventually punish gays for that lifestyle.  Sounds like the teaching is "Straighten up (don't live the gay lifestyle) or you're gonna get some bad karma."

I find it hard to understand how you call that benevolent when it is telling someone they shouldn't be happy with the sexuality they were born with.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: It is

Talk25 wrote:

It is commonly known that if two people attend a lecture on a topic that they are both interested in, that they will both remember different things about that lecture.

The human memory is not perfect. Of course people will remember different parts of the lecture. That's mostly likely because different people will be more interested in different aspects of whatever was being taught.

That doesn't mean that the lecturer actually made two different speeches. If a recording of the lecture was made, and two different people transcribed it, the two transcriptions would be identical (assuming both people took the time to be precise, of course, I'm not talking about just taking notes)

Talk25 wrote:
Often, they will even disagree on what was said.

Again you are confusing opinion with facts. The lecturer said certain words. It's possible to disagree about what the words meant, but it's not possible to disagree about what the actual words were (well, technically it's possible to disagree if you don't remember, however, in that case there would be one and only one correct answer).

Talk25 wrote:
That's what I'm talking about when I say that we experience reality differently.

What you are talking about is opinions. Yes, we all have different opinions about what different things mean. What I am talking about is facts. Can you dispute that Li Hongzhi used the word "demonic" to descibe homosexuals? Can you dispute that he referred to them as non-human? Those were his words.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding him as a result of not having enough experience with Falun Dafa. Maybe demons in Falun Dafa are acutally good things. If so, please provide evidence from the teachings that say as much. Otherwise I have no choice but to assume he is using the words the same way everyone else does.

Talk25 wrote:
The Teachings of Falun Dafa are much different from ordinary topics and no two people will understand them exactly the same.

The teachings of Falun Dafa are different from ordinary topics in that they have no basis in fact. Do you disagree?  If so, please explain what facts support the ideas presented by Falun Dafa.

Talk25 wrote:
It seems to me that when you read the Dafa writings, you have a different purpose than I do. I am studying for the purpose of guiding my cultivation in Truth, Compassion, Forbearance. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that your purpose is to try to find falut with it. That's why our understandings are different.

I am reading the texts in an attempt to gain understanding of what the teachings are. I want to know what the beliefs of Falun Dafa are so that when I talk about it I can represent it truthfully.

Our understandings are different because you assume from the outset that the teachings are good and right. If you don't assume that, please explain how you came to understand that homosexuality was wrong seperately from the teachings of Falun Dafa.

Talk25 wrote:
It's ok if you don't believe FD practitioners are superior to ordinary people. I've never said it that way either. I've never said "FD practitioners are superior to ordinary people" and neither is it written by Master Li in that manner.

You may be correct that Li Hongzhi has never said "Fa practitioners are superior to ordinary people" I don't know for sure.

However, let's see what he HAS said (any emphasis added is mine) :

from Zhuan Falun (p 8 )

Li Hongzhi wrote:
So to be a cultivator you have to take the nature of the universe as your guide for improving yourself. You can't go by ordinary people's standards. If you want to return to your original, true self, if you want to raise your level by cultivating, you have to live by this standard. For anybody here, only if you can follow theh universe's nature, to be True, Good, and Endure, only then you can call yourself a good person. And a person who goes against this nature, now that's somebody who's truly bad.

So, only practictioners are good. People who aren't are bad.

From China Falun Gong (pg 30):

Li Hongzhi wrote:

"Practitioners are actually the smartest people" I don't think that needs much explaination.

From Lecture in Sidney:

Li Hongzhi wrote:
You may have learned all the scholarly knowledge in the world, you are still an ordinary person. This is because you are just a person at this human level and remain an ordinary person, except that you have mastered a little bit more ordinary human knowledge. Whereas, the principles that I have taught and what I have said are not things at this ordinary human level. They are beyond this ordinary human level. Therefore, its principles do not come from ordinary human knowledge. The Fa encompasses all the knowledge from the universe to ordinary human society.

"Beyond this ordinary human level" sounds kind of superior to me.

From "Essentials for Further Advancement II" (in the section called "A Message" ) :

Li Hongzhi wrote:
This is the grandest mercy, because in the future several billion people are to obtain the Fa, and if people’s minds contain thoughts that resist Dafa, once this evil drama is over a large number of human beings will begin to be weeded out, and people who have a predestined relationship to obtain the Fa [v]or even a larger number of innocent people[/b] might be weeded out. Therefore, everything we are currently doing is magnificent, is merciful, and is consummating the end of our path. Validating Dafa and exposing the evil in ordinary human society seem to resemble work in ordinary human society. But they are not. Everyday people do everything out of self-interest, whereas what we do is to safeguard Dafa. This is what a Dafa disciple should do, and it is without any selfish elements.

It seems that many people (including innocent ones) need to be weeded out, ordinary society is evil, and everyday people do everything out of self-interest.

From Teaching the Fa in New York City:

Li Hongzhi wrote:
Humans will never know what’s the most fundamental of the cosmos’ matter, and will never be able to probe it. So this cosmos will forever remain a mystery to humans. Of course, this isn’t to say that high-level beings will never know it; everyday people have no way of knowing this cosmos, whereas cultivators do—only through cultivation.

Regular humans will never be able to understand the cosmos. Cultivators, on the other hand, will.

On a final note (also from Teaching the Fa in New York):

Li Hongzhi wrote:
If you’re comfortable all your life, I can tell you that you’re bound to go to hell. If you don’t get sick all your life—not to mention being comfortable all your life—upon death it’s one hundred percent sure you’ll go to hell. Being alive generates karma.

beautiful...

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: Fish

Talk25 wrote:

Fish wrote:

Way beyond my ability to explain. I do have a limited understanding of it. But of course, you're just looking for something to argue about. Which is what would happen if I tried to describe my understnading. Sorry, I've got better things to do.

In everything you've quoted and analysed in such great detail, did you find anything that made you feel that Master Li was calling for anyone to take any kind of action against homosexuals?

I'm not looking for something to argue about, I'm trying to understand what Falun Dafa is about. If you do describe your understanding (something you seem to talk about but never actually do), maybe I can make some progress on that.

Again, why do you take the idea of homosexuality being evil on faith?  Why would you believe him just because he says so?  That doesn't seem open minded to me. 

In Teaching the Fa at the Conference in Europe, Li Hongzhi describes homosexuality as an evil thing (alongside organized crime and the worship of violence)

Li Hongzhi wrote:
When normalizing how humans should be, they discussed this very seriously. And there are other problems nowadays, such as organized crime, homosexuality, and the worship of violence. What we’ve mentioned are only phenomena, yet they reveal the state of society. People tolerate violence and indulge in it, they look up to mobsters, and they even worship the pirate leaders of the past who killed people and set fires. It means that people are no longer able to tell good from bad; they can no longer tell good from evil.

According to him, what happens to evil things? From Essentials for Further Advancement II, "The Chill of Autumn's Winds"

Li Hongzhi wrote:
The evil ones should think twice about their flagrant savagery,
When Heaven and Earth are bright again, down to the boiling cauldron they go;
Punches and kicks do little to change people’s hearts,
Violent winds usher in an autumn with even harsher chill.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: The teaching

Susan wrote:
The teaching is still that homosexuality is wrong and that your god will eventually punish gays for that lifestyle. Sounds like the teaching is "Straighten up (don't live the gay lifestyle) or you're gonna get some bad karma."

I find it hard to understand how you call that benevolent when it is telling someone they shouldn't be happy with the sexuality they were born with.

Susan, I can understand why you would think that way. Please understand that I don't have any particular god as you've implied. My understanding of Master Li's teaching is that he was answering questions that Dafa practitioners asked him directly. He did allow these lectures to be published, but was not directly talking to homosexuals.

As for the issue of karma, I think we can use an analogy by replacing the word karma with poison. If poison is bad for a person, telling them not to drink poison is a good thing, it's benevolent.

My understanding is that people are not born homosexual. I won't try to explain my understanding of this. My understanding does not match the popular thinking that's in society these days, but I want to assure you that it's not hateful or intolerant. I'm sure that Master Li will be talking more about many such ordinary subjects after the persecution is over. Right now that's the main focus, aside from our cultivation. JMO.

Falun Dafa is good.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Fish, as you say you're

Fish, as you say you're trying to understand Falun Dafa, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. It's just not possible for everyone to understand it at this time. JMO.

Hopefully, in the future, you'll have the opportunity too. Best Regards.

Falun Dafa is good.

Falun Dafa is good.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: My

Talk25 wrote:

My understanding is that people are not born homosexual. I won't try to explain my understanding of this. 

I'm guessing you don't have any gay friends with whom you have discussed this.  If you did, you would understand that it's not a choice.

I have a lot of friends who have gone through the proverbial hell trying to deny their sexuality as youngsters and teens.  Trust me, they didn't choose it.

Luckily, my friends have gotten past it (for the most part, some are still in therapy) and are now happy with their lives and partners.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Talk25
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: I'm guessing

Susan wrote:

I'm guessing you don't have any gay friends with whom you have discussed this. If you did, you would understand that it's not a choice.

I have a lot of friends who have gone through the proverbial hell trying to deny their sexuality as youngsters and teens. Trust me, they didn't choose it.

You are correct. I have not discussed this with any gay friends. However, I do have my own personal experience with sexuality. I didn't want to try to explain my understanding, because I don't want to argue about it. I'll try, but please remember it's just my opinoin and not something of Dafa or any kind of proven scientific "truth".

I used to think that my desire for very young "women" was natural. I even rationalized it saying that it is common in some cultures for fathers to have first rights to their daughters virginity. I did not take it that far, but my "undeniable" sexual desires were well outside of what is accepted in this society. If I had not found Falun Dafa seven years ago, I would most likely be on a monitoring program now.

My own understanding of where our desires come from is continual self reinforcement. What starts as a small interest, is repeatedly (several hundred times a day for men) reinforced mentally by such things as furtive glances and internal conversation. For example, saying to oneself; "Wow, I'd really like to have a piece of that" even if "that" is a 16 year old girl. In my case, the thoughts were gradually becoming more and more extreme.

It should be easy to understand that sexual desire is very strong. We see this repeatedly on the television show that catches men of all ages preying on young girls over the Internet. How many of these men have responded to the question "why" with "I don't know?" They really aren't lying. They feel controlled by their desires. I'm telling you this from first hand experience.

Why is it that we have lifetime monitoring programs for such people? Obviously part of the reason is to protect society. But another aspect of the question is, is it really impossible for such people to change their behavior? I can say that this was extremely difficult for me to do, but I did it. I went through my own "hell" and survived.

I know what it took for me to change my mental behavior and I no longer have those undeniable desires. Of course, I'm not saying that homosexuals have to change their behavior because of my belief. I'm trying to make the point that just because someone feels that they are controlled by their desire, is not proof that that desire is "natural" or good or that they do not choose it. In my case, I chose it several times a day, until I decided that I needed to give it up.

Falun Dafa is good.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Talk25 wrote: Fish, as you

Talk25 wrote:
Fish, as you say you're trying to understand Falun Dafa, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. It's just not possible for everyone to understand it at this time. JMO.

Actually, according to your religion I have a lot to worry about, as my actions cause me to gather large amounts of karma that will cause me great suffering.

Talk25 wrote:
Falun Dafa is good.

You have supplied no information or arguments that support this claim.

Talk25 wrote:
I'm trying to make the point that just because someone feels that they are controlled by their desire, is not proof that that desire is "natural" or good or that they do not choose it.

While your statement is true, you still haven't shown how homosexual desire is not natural or good. How exactly is it "poision"? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that there is something wrong with it.

In your example of pedophilia, such behavior is a problem because it harms children. The simplest explanation is that a child does not have the capacity (due to a lack of understanding and experience) to consent to sex or sexual activities, and so sex with a minor is necessarily non-consentual.

How exactly is homosexuality harmful?