Where does RRS and/or members within see themselves in...

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where does RRS and/or members within see themselves in...

Where does RRS and/or members within see themselves in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, or 30 years?  this question is really open to anyone who wants to answer; talk personally, politically, socially, businesswise... etc.

get creative and stray away from topic some if you like.

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL!  Sapphen, you do make

LOL!  Sapphen, you do make me smile even if it is 5 a.m.!

6 months - writing, kicking theists asses

1 year - writing and published, kicking theists asses

5 years - more writing and published, more kicking theists asses

10 years - wiseass grandma, more writing and published, more kicking theists asses

30 years - wiseass old lady, still writing, still getting published and still kicking theists asses (possibly using a cane to do so at that point) 

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
In five to ten years... On

In five to ten years...

On an island (Caribbean or Oceanic) devoid of theism with about 100 or so fellow atheists.

There will be a sea plane at the dock and a 150' seafaring vessel in the small harbor.

Hurricane/typhoon proof structures to accomodate all.

Self sufficient food producing environment. Fishing, some cattle, gardens, orchards, a field for grains.

Authors, researchers, scientists, doctors, computer geeks, engineers, and their needed/wanted equipment paid for by the fruits of their labors.

No hatred. Some jealousy. Some envy. Much admiration for each other.

Very few rules and those decided by concensus. Ethics rule.

Perimeter radar, security cameras, and a security detail chosen by RRS in the military or with previous military training.

A person with management experience to handle the logistics. (ME)

I'd love this. Finding 100 people that would love it just as much is the problem.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
OUCHIE!!! could i get a

OUCHIE!!! could i get a light spank instead of a kick! Eye-wink

i do hope you succed in publishcations.  to be an author is a beautiful thing!  to me it is like pieces of myself, kind of like a child. from what i have read your posts are very easy on the eyes and i feel you will be successful.

what types of subjects would you like to publish? 

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nothing like a little

Nothing like a little flattery to encourage me!  Thank you for the compliment and right back at ya!

What would I like to publish/write?  Ha!  The reason I am not sleeping is because the ideas won't rest.  Mostly, I like to write fiction because I am not nearly knowledgeable about any particular subject to write non-fiction with the possible exception of a biography.  I am currently working on an outline for an action/adventure story.   My sister has been pushing me to write romantic comedy, but I haven't been in a real romantic mood - LOL.  Character development is my strongpoint, but I struggle with plot.  

You are exactly right in saying it is like pieces of yourself.  I act like a four-year-old who has just completed what they consider a masterpiece when I show someone anything I have written.  First I shove it in their face and then I want to rip it back for fear of criticism.  If I do allow them to look at it, I prance around pointing out all of the terribly clever things I have written just in case they didn't notice.  Then I pout and accuse them of not liking it enough.  Oh yes, my ego knows no bounds!!

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: I'd love

darth_josh wrote:

I'd love this. Finding 100 people that would love it just as much is the problem.

Can I come? 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
6 months- Doing Uni work.

6 months- Doing Uni work. Finishing my dissertation. Running Hypothetical Promotions on the side. Writing songs, playing gigs.

1 year - Finishing my BA degree. Either heading back to Manchester or finding a house in Lancaster.

2 years - Enrolling in an MA course after a year out.

6 years - Getting my PhD. And becoming the second Dr Cordingley in my family.

10 years - Teaching, Writing books, growing a big long philosopher-beard.

30 years - Hopefully will be a professor, hopefully well renowned. Trimming my beard.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: darth_josh

jce wrote:
darth_josh wrote:

Can I come?

Of course, I gotta have some eye candy for inspiration.

I'm kidding, but really.

Atheist, author, RRS mod. Yep. You're in, jce. Do you get seasick?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote: 6

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

6 months- Doing Uni work. Finishing my dissertation. Running Hypothetical Promotions on the side. Writing songs, playing gigs.

1 year - Finishing my BA degree. Either heading back to Manchester or finding a house in Lancaster.

2 years - Enrolling in an MA course after a year out.

6 years - Getting my PhD. And becoming the second Dr Cordingley in my family.

10 years - Teaching, Writing books, growing a big long philosopher-beard.

30 years - Hopefully will be a professor, hopefully well renowned. Trimming my beard.

Wow. Jacob even has his hygeine planned.

Checklist for island - beard trimmer 

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
6 months - freezing my ass

6 months - freezing my ass off in kansas, laughing at second-coming/rapture fanatics

1 year - boiling in kansas, laughing at second-coming/rapture fanatics

5 years - throwing a party as George Bush and Dick Cheney are sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity, laughing at second-coming/rapture fanatics

10 years - cursing my air conditioner as Kansas summers heat up to 180 degrees, laughing at second-coming/rapture fanatics

30 years - still responding to silly xian comments on my "godless america" youtube video(will that thing ever die?), laughing at second-coming/rapture fanatics

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapphen, you ask the

Sapphen, you ask the coolest questions!

6 months - Still at the Day Job, doing RRS work, working with Beyond Belief Media, volunteering at the theater when I can, taking care of my menagerie of kitties

1 year    -  Still at the Day Job, doing RRS work, working with Beyond Belief Media, volunteering at the theater when I can, taking care of my menagerie of kitties

5 years  -  (Although eligible to retire) Still at the Day Job, doing RRS work, working with Beyond Belief Media, volunteering at the theater when I can, taking care of my menagerie of kitties

10 years - (Hopefully coming close to retirement, totally dependent on Visa and MasterCard balances) Still at the Day Job, doing RRS work, working with Beyond Belief Media, volunteering at the theater when I can, taking care of my menagerie of kitties

30 years - Retired.   Grumpy.  Think Hallmark's Maxine.  Smiling

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
6 months-- Cursing another

6 months-- Cursing another cold Chicago January, probably just getting back from another fun round of corporate year-end meetings.

1 year-- Hopefully finished with updating my 109 year-old house, so I can sell it and get something smaller.

5 years-- Probably suffering from deep depression over the loss of my athletic abilities.

10 years-- Listening to debates on whether we should pull our troops out of Iraq or not.

30 years-- Preferably retired, and smiling at the sight of the bible in the fiction section at my favorite bookstore.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
What about you, Sapphen? No

What about you, Sapphen?

No fair posting a question like this and not sharing your answers!

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, in 5 years our plan

Well, in 5 years our plan of global extermination of theist should finally be ready for implementation and I’m pretty sure the last theist should be converted into soylent green long before 30 years so...

Oh no the secret is out!

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: I’m pretty

Gauche wrote:

I’m pretty sure the last theist should be converted into soylent green long before 30 years so...

Gauche, you're giving away your age!  I suspect that many of the younger members of the forum are going to have to Google it.

Aw heck.  Here's a link for those who don't know. 

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's see  6 Months -

Let's see

6 Months - Working my ass off in school doing video art, some of which will be very anti-theist. 

1 Year - Getting my BFA, getting an apartment, getting a production job to pay off my retardedly large amount of student loans.

2 Years - Working, doing more video art, looking into a Graduate School, planning a huge party on 1/20/09

6 Years - Hopefully, having completed my MFA, I'll be well off enough to work as an artist fulltime or possibly get a nice teaching gig while I use my art to attack irrational beliefs, as well as other things I really care little for.

10 years - More of above, only hopefully with more residual income.

30 years - I dunno really...  

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
6 months - probably not

6 months - probably not much different than now.

1 year - hopefully travelling a bit more, but still pretty much working, writing, and doing my little part to help "the cause."

2 year - Maybe someone will come along and pay me more for my business than I paid for it?  Then I could really get to some travelling.... 

6 year - with any luck, I'll be a silent partner, and can just collect a check Eye-wink  Most likely, I'll still be doing the same thing, but I can hope, right?  Between 5 and 10 years is when I've looked at the possibility of relocating outside of the U.S.  I honestly believe it's going to get much worse here before it gets better (theocracy, economy, human rights, etc...)

10 years - I really hope to be away from the U.S.  I'll most likely still be an outspoken atheist activist.  Hopefully more actively involved.  In any case, I have hopes that I'll just come back and visit periodically.  Very periodically.

30 years - Alive would be nice.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eh, why not. 6 months -

Eh, why not.

6 months - freezing my ass off while commuting to NYC.  Wishing everyone would just listen to me so this world would be a better place

1 year - FINALLY getting done with college. then registering for fun courses that I can take at my leisure.  Wishing everyone would just listen to me so this world would be a better place

5 years - Getting settled into a career that is both fulfilling and rewarding and that hopefully has something to do with Communication/Media research.  Wishing everyone would just listen to me so this world would be a better place

10 years - Finding a new state to call home, since NJ is becoming insanely overcrowded and, frankly, starting to smell a little bit funky.  Wishing everyone would just listen to me so this world would be a better place

30 years - I'd be retired and living in a log cabin somewhere, sipping really kick ass merlot and telling outrageous stories to my grand-nieces and nephews.

And if none of that works out hopefully I can join in on the world domination.   

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: 30 years - I'd be

Quote:
30 years - I'd be retired and living in a log cabin somewhere, sipping really kick ass merlot and telling outrageous stories to my grand-nieces and nephews.

I really respect the implications in this statement, pariah.  I know we've had this discussion in other forums, but it's so awesome to see people projecting happiness that doesn't involve procreation.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where I'll be in: 6 months:

Where I'll be in:

6 months: Drunk, probably in some sort of ditch or gutter.

1 Year: Dropping out of school in order to join an anarchy march in Washington D.C.

5 years: Meeting with the heads of several corporations under the false pretenses of a consulting meeting, only to perform degrading acts upon them and then releasing them naked into the wilds of Argentina.

10 years: Finishing my final assault on Warsaw, so that I can turn South and invade the weaker, eastern Union member states.

30 years: Hopefully deceased, having left the world in a state of near-collapse.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Gauche

Susan wrote:
Gauche wrote:

I’m pretty sure the last theist should be converted into soylent green long before 30 years so...

Gauche, you're giving away your age! I suspect that many of the younger members of the forum are going to have to Google it.

Aw heck. Here's a link for those who don't know.

Kids don’t know that soylent green is made out of people anymore? So I guess my joke went over like a lead balloon huh. Next you’ll say hey grandpa lead can float now, I gave my daughter lead balloons for her birthday. I’ll have to update the expression I used to try to convey the fact that the last cultural reference I used was outdated.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see myself continuing my

I see myself continuing my work to help curb the devastating effects of Multiple Sclerosis. As it is now, I am a peer councelor as well as a sufferer of this illness. I see myself continuing to show people the errors within ALL religious systems. I see myself continuing to fight for seperation between of church and state, as our founding fathers believed. I see myself declining in my health barring some medical breakthrough. I see myself with the woman I love who accepts me, flaws and all. I see myself trying to make a difference until the day I die. And hopefully those I help will continue this trend.

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
Complete agreement. My woman

Complete agreement. My woman and I are avowed child-free.. we figure if we ever want kids, we can adopt. I've taken my steps (vasectomy).

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: Kids don’t

Gauche wrote:

Kids don’t know that soylent green is made out of people anymore?

I'd like to hear from some of the members that are younger than I (that's almost every member on the forums!) and if they did or didn't know what soylent green is made of.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline

Susan wrote:
Gauche wrote:

I'd like to hear from some of the members that are younger than I (that's almost every member on the forums!) and if they did or didn't know what soylent green is made of.

"It's people, we're eating people"

I saw the movie, I remember it well. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
6 months-- Watching Sapphen

6 months-- Watching Sapphen turning away from theism.

1 year-- Observing 6 months after Sapphen's deconvert, realizing the world of rationality is much more rewarding.

5 years-- Working on another batch of Sapphen type theists who are bordering on deconversion.

10 years-- Passing the torch to my son to work on the newest batch of Sapphen type theists tetering on the fence on non-belief.

30 years-- Watching the grandkids work on the last remaining Sapphen like theists leaving the vestiges of theism behind.

LOL

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline

Susan wrote:
Gauche wrote:

I got the reference. 

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
ROfL... very amusing BGH. 

ROfL... very amusing BGH.  i am kind of honored to have a "sapphen type" classification.

i would have to say that i do recognize a need to rethink religious principles.  i don't think i'm much of a christian or what religion says a christian should be.  i feel i have some purpose in here but i have no idea what.  i take empathy very seriously and i truly seek to understand you.

i am getting weak again and starting to feel the strain of the constant debating, i feel myself dullen.  i am unsure if i am comprising my relationship to God... i'm unsure where i will be in 10 to 30 years.  there is only a glitter of faith left in me but i'm sure that is enough.

God's hold on me is strong and i cling to Him as well.  i've felt it even as a child before i knew of religion.  i only wish i could give to you the feelings and experiences i have had. to say them you would dismiss me as crazy and i may be.  it might take a crazy person to understand God.  we cannot dig up the seeds that He plants.

trust me, you don't want me on your side. LOL, but i'm sure some of the christians would be happy.  they are my brothers and sisters in Christ and i love them dearly but i do not let them get away with ignorance.

thanks everyone for sharing, i look forward to more responses!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
6 months? Same place I am

6 months? Same place I am probably. 1 year? Can't see much of a difference. 5 years? 30? Completely unpredictable. 10 years ago I'd have laughed if you'd suggested I'd be where I am now. Even petabytes will be long out of style to be replaced by whatever will replace them.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: i would

sapphen wrote:

i would have to say that i do recognize a need to rethink religious principles. i don't think i'm much of a christian or what religion says a christian should be. i feel i have some purpose in here but i have no idea what. i take empathy very seriously and i truly seek to understand you.

i am getting weak again and starting to feel the strain of the constant debating, i feel myself dullen. i am unsure if i am comprising my relationship to God... i'm unsure where i will be in 10 to 30 years. there is only a glitter of faith left in me but i'm sure that is enough.

God's hold on me is strong and i cling to Him as well. i've felt it even as a child before i knew of religion. i only wish i could give to you the feelings and experiences i have had. to say them you would dismiss me as crazy and i may be. it might take a crazy person to understand God. we cannot dig up the seeds that He plants.

trust me, you don't want me on your side. LOL, but i'm sure some of the christians would be happy. they are my brothers and sisters in Christ and i love them dearly but i do not let them get away with ignorance.

thanks everyone for sharing, i look forward to more responses!

Sapphen, thank you for sharing this.  It is difficult to admit to having questions; much easier to get defensive and cling to preconceived ideas rather than confront them and think about them.  I commend you for your efforts!!

Consider yourself lucky that you are online and do not have to debate BGH in person.  If you get bored, here is an outline of the discussion we had which led to me re-thinking everything!  LOL 

As far as wanting you "on our side" goes, not true!  I very much want to have critical thinkers on my side.  You think rationally and understand both sides of the theistic issue.  Naturally, this creates an internal struggle for you, but certainly goes a long way toward increasing your understanding of humanity.  Whether you end up questioning your faith to the point of denouncing it or not, I think you will always carry an understanding of the issues that others do not.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
very true jce, it is easier

very true jce, it is easier to get defensive and cling to ideas.  that is one of mankind's fall backs.  most of or critical thinking starts with "how could they be proven wrong", or traveling the maze backwards so to speak.  it is rare that one will put their beliefs on the line and continue to question a certain paradigm they have became comfortable with.

luck is nothing more than chance to me.  i'm sure me and BGH would have some great conversations in person.  i don't really engage in debate as much because like BGH said, it is rare to convince someone in a debate.   no one is going to want to lose and if they feel they are they will get aggressive and close their mind.  i like conversations because you can admit when you don't have an answer and move to more progressive steps.  i'm not here to convince... debate is for the cameras, conversation is for the mind.

thank you for the compliments.  thinking critically and rationally are good things but they are not some of my best qualities.
my internal struggle goes a lot deeper than you perceive but isn't exactly what you think.

people are beautiful and freely give hints to their convictions.  sometimes we tend to see in others what is in within ourselves.  sometimes that angers us and blinds our path, creating a harden shell around our ideas.  we protect our thoughts and rightly we should, if not we would become wishy washy and could lose our identities. 

most of us live by the label but in time the events will take their natural course, we will be redefined time and time again.  we are just wondering this maze looking for the cheese.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I’m actually only 30 but

I’m actually only 30 but I like stuff that’s a little bit older. Things don’t get to be old and still acknowledged by being bad. That’s why when I see a woman in her 50’s I’m thinking “she’s had 20 years worth more sex than I have; I know that has to add up to something.” Think about it. And now women in their 50’s get plastic surgery and do that tai bo shit so they still have nice bodies. All those viagra related deaths aren’t from the viagra. Their women sexed them to death. They were sitting on a sex bomb and one day it blew up on em; that’s an untapped resource right there and I’m going to tap it (if you understand the vernacular, ha ha ha). Susan, I remember the old avatar when you were rockin that tight ass t-shirt, it’s time to bring that back girl what’s up?

H.P. Lovecraft

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:

Gauche wrote:
Susan, I remember the old avatar when you were rockin that tight ass t-shirt, it’s time to bring that back girl what’s up?

Thank you for the kind words, but I think my old avatar ran away with Denny Crane.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ha-ha. That’s too bad

Ha-ha. That’s too bad because as I recall that picture brightened a couple of my days. Remember I’m not the only one that thought it; I’m just the only one that wasn’t afraid to say it. Call me if your husband punches his ticket. (and remember my love for William Shatner is strictly platonic so it wont come between you and me)  

H.P. Lovecraft

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Again, thank you for the

Again, thank you for the kind words.

Husband?  Hell, I divested myself of that in 1977.

Besides, who has time?  There are too many things to do and not enough hours in the day.  As it stands, I'm just a very busy Old Broad with cats.

I do, however, make time to spend with Denny Crane and Alan Shore when the opportunity presents itself. 

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why don’t you make some

Why don’t you make some time for me? I’m almost as entertaining as boston legal and my breath doesn’t smell like cat food.

H.P. Lovecraft

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:  and my

Gauche wrote:

and my breath doesn’t smell like cat food.

Alan Shore's doesn't, but I'm not too sure about Denny Crane.

Maybe it's the cigar breath covering it up.